|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Elaine's father get in Toronto?
(a) University professor.
(c) Political advisor.
2. What does the narrator compare time to?
3. How old does Elaine turn soon after the incident with the hole?
4. Which of the girls is physically maturing ahead of the others?
5. What adjective did people use to describe Toronto in the past?
6. What do Elaine's friends tell her about their bullying?
(a) That they are smarter and can outwit her.
(b) That they are trying to help her improve herself.
(c) That they are preparing her for the real world.
(d) That they are bigger and stronger and she must obey.
7. The narrator thinks of time as having a what?
8. What do the girls put over Elaine?
(d) Palm leaves.
9. Does Elaine like memorizing psalms for Sunday School?
(a) Yes, she enjoys memorizing psalms.
(b) No, she dislikes them but memorizes them anyway.
(c) Yes, but she likes them but can never remember them.
(d) No, she hates memorizing them and never does.
10. What did Jon's ex-girlfriend throw at him and Elaine?
(d) Bread rolls.
11. What job does Elaine give up?
(a) Babysitting for a neighbor after school.
(b) Mowing the neighbors' lawns.
(c) Taking a neighbor's baby for strolls around the block.
(d) Walking a neighbor's dog.
12. What does Cordelia do with Elaine's hat?
(a) She cuts it into pieces.
(b) She steals it and hides it.
(c) She throws it into a ravine.
(d) She burns it.
13. Who does Elaine think is telling her to die?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her inner self.
14. How does Elaine feel about girlish things like braids and purses?
(a) She thinks they're childish.
(b) She begins to want them.
(c) She hates them.
(d) She thinks they're ugly.
15. What careers do Elaine's daughters have?
(a) Librarian and scientist.
(b) Teacher and lawyer.
(c) Accountant and doctor.
(d) Architect and dentist.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young girl, what does Elaine collect?
2. What is one of Elaine's favorite childhood games?
3. Why does Elaine think Carol is a sissy?
4. What is Cordelia digging a hole for?
5. What does Jon's note to Elaine under the mat say?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)