|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective best describes the narrator and Cordelia on the streetcar?
2. How does Mrs. Smeath characterize the children's mistreatment of Elaine?
(a) As God's punishment for Elaine.
(b) As a sin against nature.
(c) As a sin against God.
(d) As a crime.
3. What job does Elaine give up?
(a) Babysitting for a neighbor after school.
(b) Taking a neighbor's baby for strolls around the block.
(c) Walking a neighbor's dog.
(d) Mowing the neighbors' lawns.
4. How did Elaine feel about coming to her art retrospective?
(a) She was thrilled and couldn't wait to leave.
(b) She was excited about going but worried about the expense.
(c) She didn't want to go.
(d) She wanted to go, but only stay for one day.
5. What are the girls playing when they put Elaine into the hole?
(a) Mary, Queen of Scots.
(b) Bloody Mary.
(c) Mary of Guelders.
(d) Mary of Modena.
6. What does Elaine notice about the boys and girls at Tortonto's shopping centers?
(a) They're trying to look grown up.
(b) They look like each other.
(c) They're trying to look like children.
(d) They look shabby and poor.
7. What careers do Elaine's daughters have?
(a) Teacher and lawyer.
(b) Accountant and doctor.
(c) Librarian and scientist.
(d) Architect and dentist.
8. During the Christmas parade, what does Cordelia scold Elaine for after her father leaves?
(a) Talking too much and telling lies.
(b) Making too much noise and moving around too much.
(c) Acting afraid and getting Cordelia in trouble.
(d) Being impolite and not saying anything.
9. As a young girl, what does Elaine collect?
(a) Pins with different colored heads.
(b) Gum wrappers and paper clips.
(c) Stones from each place she visits.
(d) Silver paper from cigarette packs.
10. What adjective did people use to describe Toronto in the past?
11. What is strange about the girls' seating arrangements at the parade?
(a) All of the girls sit around Elain so Elain can't see.
(b) All of the girls sit low, where they can't see.
(c) The girls stand on their seats.
(d) None of the girls sits near Elaine.
12. Who do the little girls from Elaine's memories remind her of?
(a) Marie Antoinette.
(b) Lady Macbeth.
(c) Frankenstein's monster.
(d) Joan of Arc.
13. How old is the narrator in the book's first flashback?
(a) A teenager.
(b) A college grad.
(c) A toddler.
(d) A baby.
14. Who offered Elaine a place to stay in Toronto?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her former teacher.
(c) Her ex-husband.
(d) Her uncle.
15. Why did Elaine paint artworks of her mother after she died?
(a) To change her memory.
(b) To keep her timeless.
(c) To forget her grief.
(d) To understand her death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Elaine want to look at her paintings?
2. What does Elaine try to do instead of playing with her friends?
3. What has someone drawn on the poster for her art exhibit that Elaine sees?
4. What is Cordelia digging a hole for?
5. Why does Elaine lie about the number of Valentines she got?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)