|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the narrator think she'd recognize Cordelia today?
(a) Yes, she thinks she would recognize Cordelia right away.
(b) No, but she thinks Cordelia would recognize her right away.
(c) Yes, but she thinks it would take a few moments.
(d) No, she doesn't think either would recognize the other.
2. What shape is the hole Cordelia begins to dig in the back yard?
3. Where do the girls stare at Elaine from as she walks home from school?
(a) A horse pasture.
(b) The bridge.
(c) A car.
(d) The gazebo.
4. What is one of Elaine's favorite childhood games?
5. Does Elaine like memorizing psalms for Sunday School?
(a) Yes, but she likes them but can never remember them.
(b) Yes, she enjoys memorizing psalms.
(c) No, she hates memorizing them and never does.
(d) No, she dislikes them but memorizes them anyway.
6. At the store, what does someone try to steal from Elaine?
(a) Her package.
(b) Her wallet.
(c) Her watch.
(d) Her jewelry.
7. What famous figure is coming to Toronto?
(a) Princess Elizabeth.
(b) Ingrid Bergman.
(c) Roy Rogers.
(d) Winston Churchill.
8. What is wrong with Grace Smeath's mother?
(a) Lung cancer.
(b) Kidney failure.
(c) Multiple sclerosis.
(d) A bad heart.
9. How old is the narrator in the book's first flashback?
(a) A toddler.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A baby.
(d) A college grad.
10. What does Cordelia do with Elaine's hat?
(a) She steals it and hides it.
(b) She burns it.
(c) She throws it into a ravine.
(d) She cuts it into pieces.
11. What does Elaine try to do instead of playing with her friends?
(a) Volunteer work.
12. What is the name of the new friend that Elaine makes?
13. What does Cordelia do after Elaine is sick from being in the cold water?
(a) She refuses to apologize, although she gets in trouble.
(b) She sends Elaine a card to apologize, and Elaine can't tell if it's sincere.
(c) She makes an apology she doesn't mean.
(d) She feels truly sorry and gives Elaine a gift.
14. How does Mrs. Smeath characterize the children's mistreatment of Elaine?
(a) As a sin against nature.
(b) As a crime.
(c) As God's punishment for Elaine.
(d) As a sin against God.
15. What relationship does Cordelia have to the narrator?
(c) Best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the narrator remember Cordelia?
2. What does Elaine stop to eat downtown at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. How does Elaine feel about girlish things like braids and purses?
4. What do Elaine's friends say she's done wrong that makes them not speak to her at the Christmas parade?
5. What job does Elaine's father get in Toronto?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)