|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elaine thinks that others consider people in her profession to be:
2. Why doesn't Elaine want to look at her paintings?
(a) She is afraid of the angry feelings they bring up.
(b) She finds mistakes and wants to start over.
(c) They make her too sad about her past losses.
(d) She thinks they'll influence her newer paintings.
3. What did Elaine think of Jon's dirty mattress when they were first dating?
(a) She hated it.
(b) She was repulsed by it.
(c) She was afraid of it.
(d) She liked it.
4. Why does Elaine make mistakes on her Sunday School tests?
(a) So the girls won't call her a goody-goody.
(b) Because Cordelia is blackmailing her.
(c) Because she doesn't study.
(d) Because she gets nervous when taking tests.
5. What store does Elaine go to?
(a) Kitty's Kite Shop.
(b) Johnson's Hardware.
(c) Barbie's Candy Store.
(d) Simpson's Department Store.
6. What job does Elaine give up?
(a) Taking a neighbor's baby for strolls around the block.
(b) Babysitting for a neighbor after school.
(c) Mowing the neighbors' lawns.
(d) Walking a neighbor's dog.
7. What does John make for a living?
(a) Strange shaped bottles for soft drinks.
(b) Resin body parts for movies.
(c) Wrapping paper designs.
(d) Chairs shaped like ordinary objects.
8. How does Mrs. Smeath characterize the children's mistreatment of Elaine?
(a) As a sin against nature.
(b) As God's punishment for Elaine.
(c) As a crime.
(d) As a sin against God.
9. What does Elaine's mother tell her to do?
(a) Stand up for herself.
(b) Ignore the other girls.
(c) Pretend everything is okay.
(d) Avoid the other girls.
10. What trick does Elaine begin using to get out of situations she doesn't like?
(a) Making her nose bleed.
(b) Having a screaming fit.
(d) Pretending to have a siezure.
11. What does Elaine stop to eat downtown at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(b) A bagel.
(d) A sandwich.
12. When Elaine dreams of Toronto, where is she?
(a) In the sewers.
(b) At home.
(d) On the bus.
13. What does Elaine try to do instead of playing with her friends?
(c) Volunteer work.
14. Who would the narrator and Cordelia analyze on the streetcars?
(a) Old ladies.
15. How old is the narrator in the book's first flashback?
(a) A baby.
(b) A toddler.
(c) A teenager.
(d) A college grad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Elaine like the gallery where her art is exhibited?
2. In the present time, where does the narrator look as she walks down the street?
3. What does Elaine keep in her pocket for protection?
4. What does Elaine buy for the art exhibit?
5. As a young girl, what does Elaine collect?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)