* In flashback, the narrator, Elaine, and her high school friend, Cordelia, ride the Toronto streetcars and criticize the old women.
* Elaine has strong, unhappy feelings toward her childhood friend, Cordelia, and fantasizes meeting her again now that she's in Toronto again.
* Elaine, who has a husband, Ben, and two daughters, is staying at her ex-husband, Jon's, studio in Toronto for an art retrospective of her work.
* Up to the age of eight, Elaine's family traveled because her father was a traveling insect researcher, and unhappily for Elaine, they moved to Toronto when Elaine's father got a job at the University of Toronto.
* Elaine goes to buy a new dress for the exhibition, and a young person tries to steal her wallet. Elaine irrationally thinks of Cordelia.
* As a young child new in Toronto, Elaine befriends Carol, Grace, and Cordelia, but Elaine is different from her...
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)