|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 64?
2. How is the dog described that Newt and Frank discuss in Chapter 111?
3. Chapter 76 is titled "Julian Castle Agrees with Newt that Everything is" what?
4. Who wrote The Spoon River Anthology that the Ambassador quotes from at the celebration?
5. How much was the most that Dr. Felix Hoenikker made as a yearly salary at General Forge and Foundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns and conflicts arise with the death of Papa Monzano?
2. What does John spend his time doing in his last days after the destruction of Ice-nine?
3. What irony and satire can be seen in the "calypsos" of The Books of Bokonon?
4. How is the Papa Monzano's bomb shelter described in Chapter 117?
5. What considerations does John have regarding Bokononism as he writes his presidential acceptance speech in Chapter 101?
6. What is the impending celebration for in San Lorenzo when the narrator arrives?
7. What does the narrator comment regarding old men and wars in the novel?
8. Why does Frank Hoenikker solicit John to take the role as President of San Lorenzo?
9. How does Mrs. Crosby feel about her circumstances after the destruction of Ice-nine?
10. How is Franklin Hoenikker described by the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Papa Monzano in the novel. How did Papa Monzano come to power? For how long has he been in power? What characteristics does Papa Monzano exhibit as a character and as a leader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of mankind's greed and destructiveness in Cat's Cradle. How does Vonnegut develop this theme through character, setting, symbolism, and imagery? How is the theme developed through the action of the plot? What outcome does he present in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of nihilism as explored in the novel. How does Vonnegut satirize nihilism in the narrative? What characters represent nihilism? What becomes of these characters?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)