|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does John invite specifically to the ceremonies in Chapter 101?
2. Through whom does John ascertain the Russians obtained Ice-nine?
3. Who wrote the San Lorenzo National Anthem?
4. How many people died at Julian Castle's hospital in ten days after the plague outbreak, according to his son in Chapter 73?
5. With whom does Frank Hoenikker describe having an affair as a teenager in Chapter 89?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the impending celebration for in San Lorenzo when the narrator arrives?
2. What symbolism can be seen in the story of the shipwreck on San Lorenzo that is related by Philip Castle?
3. How does Mrs. Crosby feel about her circumstances after the destruction of Ice-nine?
4. What is Philip Castle's implication when he asks John if he sells medicine in Chapter 70?
5. How do the Hoenikker children describe the passing of the dog as a result of Ice-nine?
6. How does the narrator describe the morality surrounding the Hoenikker children taking the Ice-nine in Chapter 113?
7. What is done with Dr. Von Koenigswald's body in Chapter 113? Why?
8. How is the Papa Monzano's bomb shelter described in Chapter 117?
9. What is signified by Angela's statements about her father's income in Chapter 80?
10. How does the author characterize Papa Monzano when he is introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the history of Bokonon. How did Bokonon end up on San Lorenzo? Who was he with when he arrived? How did Bokonon gain control of the island? What did he institute once he gained control?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John's relationship with Mona in the narrative. Why is John pressured to marry Mona? How do they relate to one another? What do they have in common? How do they differ in their perceptions and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the book The Day the World Ended. What was this book initially to be about? What does it end up being about? What irony can be seen in this book and its title?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)