|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what hotel does John check in, along with the Crosbys, in Chapter 69?
2. Who is the doctor that attends to Papa Monzano, according to Julian Castle in Chapter 83?
3. What is the name of the mosaicist at the hotel in Chapter 70?
4. What is the name of the doctor that has been frozen along with Papa Monzano?
5. What word from Chapter 109 means clear and convincing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns and conflicts arise with the death of Papa Monzano?
2. What considerations does John have regarding Bokononism as he writes his presidential acceptance speech in Chapter 101?
3. What is ironic about the cleaning process in Chapter 111?
4. What symbolism can be seen in the story of the shipwreck on San Lorenzo that is related by Philip Castle?
5. How is the Papa Monzano's bomb shelter described in Chapter 117?
6. How does the author characterize Papa Monzano when he is introduced?
7. What statement do you think that Kurt Vonnegut is making through the character of Mona in the novel?
8. How does Julian Castle describe Bokonon's relationship to the truth in Chapter 78?
9. What is remarked about history from Bokonon's writings in Chapter 113? What does this statement mean?
10. How is Franklin Hoenikker described by the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the narrative style of Cat's Cradle. From whose perspective is the narrative related? Why do you think the author chose to relate the narrative in this style? How would the narrative differ if it were related from a different narrative perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of John as the protagonist of Cat's Cradle. What attributes does John exhibit that make him a protagonist? Who or what is the antagonist of the narrative? What heroic attributes and tragic flaws are represented by John?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kurt Vonnegut's use of literary, religious, and historical allusions in Cat's Cradle. What are examples of literary works alluded to in the novel? How do these works relate to Cat's Cradle in terms of theme, character, setting, etc.? What purpose do the allusions serve in the narrative?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)