|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Bokononist ritual that involves touching feet with a person to mingle awareness?
2. What does John cook for Mona and himself in the bomb shelter in Chapter 117?
3. Julian Castle claims in Chapter 104 that "The people of San Lorenzo are only interested in three things." What are these three things?
4. What is the title of Chapter 64?
5. What is the title of Chapter 81?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony can be seen at the memorial celebration on San Lorenzo?
2. How does Mrs. Crosby feel about her circumstances after the destruction of Ice-nine?
3. How does the narrator describe the morality surrounding the Hoenikker children taking the Ice-nine in Chapter 113?
4. What statement do you think that Kurt Vonnegut is making through the character of Mona in the novel?
5. How is Franklin Hoenikker described by the narrator?
6. How is Frank's house described by the narrator?
7. What does the narrator comment regarding old men and wars in the novel?
8. How is the Papa Monzano's bomb shelter described in Chapter 117?
9. Why was Bokononism initially banned? What impact did the ban have on Bokonon?
10. What considerations does John have regarding Bokononism as he writes his presidential acceptance speech in Chapter 101?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language style of Cat's Cradle. What are examples of fictional words from The Books of Bokonon, and what do they mean? Discuss the philosophy behind this religion. How does this religion impact the novel's language style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of mankind's greed and destructiveness in Cat's Cradle. How does Vonnegut develop this theme through character, setting, symbolism, and imagery? How is the theme developed through the action of the plot? What outcome does he present in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of satire as it applies to Cat's Cradle. What aspects of the novel are satirical? What aspects of culture, society, etc. are satirized by Vonnegut? What do you think Vonnegut's overall statement is regarding humankind?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)