|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian Castle say his playboy days had cost him in Chapter 80?
2. What does John cook for Mona and himself in the bomb shelter in Chapter 117?
3. What is printed on the ribbon of the wreath in Chapter 114?
4. What is the capital of San Lorenzo?
5. What Bokononist word refers to "a fogbound child"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is satirical about the "writer's strike" that Philip Castle proposes in Chapter 103?
2. What does the narrator comment regarding old men and wars in the novel?
3. What led to the mass suicide of many inhabitants of San Lorenzo?
4. How does the narrator describe the morality surrounding the Hoenikker children taking the Ice-nine in Chapter 113?
5. What is the impending celebration for in San Lorenzo when the narrator arrives?
6. How is Frank's house described by the narrator?
7. How is John's encounter with Mona described in Chapter 91?
8. How is the theme of inequality of wealth demonstrated in Chapter 62?
9. What is signified by Angela's statements about her father's income in Chapter 80?
10. How did Dr. Felix Hoenikker die? What clues allude to how he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Kurt Vonnegut's use of literary, religious, and historical allusions in Cat's Cradle. What are examples of literary works alluded to in the novel? How do these works relate to Cat's Cradle in terms of theme, character, setting, etc.? What purpose do the allusions serve in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of Cat's Cradle. Where in the story do the exposition and rising action occur? What comprises the climax of the story? How would you describe the falling action and denouement of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Franklin Hoenikker in Cat's Cradle. How is Frank described as a child and a young man? What are the impressions of the narrator when he finally meets Frank? What is Frank's main role in the plot of the novel?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)