|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain range that rises abruptly to the north of the capital city of San Lorenzo?
2. What Bokononist word from the novel refers to a man who wants all of somebody's love?
3. What does John call the tornadoes he can see filling the sky in Chapter 116?
4. What is the title of Chapter 102?
5. Where did Newt Hoenikker create a "love nest" with his bride after they had wed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Newt's painting described in Chapter 74? What does it signify?
2. How does Julian Castle describe Bokonon's relationship to the truth in Chapter 78?
3. How is John's encounter with Mona described in Chapter 91?
4. How is the Papa Monzano's bomb shelter described in Chapter 117?
5. How is Franklin Hoenikker described by the narrator?
6. What does John spend his time doing in his last days after the destruction of Ice-nine?
7. Why was Bokononism initially banned? What impact did the ban have on Bokonon?
8. What statement do you think that Kurt Vonnegut is making through the character of Mona in the novel?
9. How does the narrator describe the morality surrounding the Hoenikker children taking the Ice-nine in Chapter 113?
10. How did Dr. Felix Hoenikker die? What clues allude to how he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Dr. Felix Hoenikker. What role did Hoenikker play in the development of the atomic bomb? Where did he work at the time? How are his relationships with family and coworkers described in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Papa Monzano in the novel. How did Papa Monzano come to power? For how long has he been in power? What characteristics does Papa Monzano exhibit as a character and as a leader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of religion in Cat's Cradle. How is contemporary Christian religion assessed by the author? How do the tenets of Bokononism compare with those of Christianity? What does Vonnegut make of religion as a whole?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)