|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 21?
2. What is the title of Chapter 11?
3. How long is the island of San Lorenzo described as in Chapter 38?
4. What is the melting point of Ice-nine?
5. How tall does Newt Hoenikker claim to be in his letter to John?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does fate bring the narrator to San Lorenzo?
2. How is the theory of "Dynamic Tension" described in Chapter 47?
3. What are the Bokononist warnings that the narrator relates to the reader in Chapter 4?
4. What is ironic about the scientific work done for the military at the General Forge and Foundry Company?
5. Who is Lyman Knowles and what does he represent in the novel?
6. What information does Newt relate about his siblings in his letter in Chapter 5?
7. What is surprising to John when he encounters the Hoenikker burial plot in Chapters 29 and 30?
8. How is Miss Pefko characterized in the novel?
9. What aspects of Dr. Hoenikker's character are revealed through Dr. Breed's stories of him in Chapter 14?
10. What symbolism can be seen in the graves of Emily and Felix Hoenikker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Newt Hoenikker in the novel. What information does Newt relate to John via letters? How does John perceive Newt when they finally meet? What are Newt's relationships like with his siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the history of Bokonon. How did Bokonon end up on San Lorenzo? Who was he with when he arrived? How did Bokonon gain control of the island? What did he institute once he gained control?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the language style of Cat's Cradle. What are examples of fictional words from The Books of Bokonon, and what do they mean? Discuss the philosophy behind this religion. How does this religion impact the novel's language style?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)