|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the chip of Ice-nine that Dr. Felix Hoenikker created?
2. What is the title of Chapter 4?
3. How old was Frank Hoenikker when his father died?
4. Whom is John sent to write an article about in San Lorenzo in Chapter 40?
5. How many children did Dr. Felix Hoenikker have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbolism can be seen in the graves of Emily and Felix Hoenikker?
2. What statements does the author make about nihilism in Chapter 36?
3. What are the Bokononist warnings that the narrator relates to the reader in Chapter 4?
4. How is Dr. Felix Hoenikker's personality described in Cat's Cradle?
5. What irony is revealed in Dr. Breed's assessments of Ilium's history in Chapter 13?
6. What does John discover about San Lorenzo from the advertising supplement in the newspaper in Chapter 37?
7. What is meant by Mrs. Minton's remarks on indexing in Chapter 55?
8. How does the narrator describe San Lorenzo's attempt at communism in the narrative?
9. What project does Dr. Breed describe Dr. Hoenikker working on at the time of his death? What was Dr. Hoenikker's objective?
10. What is the significance of the literary/religious allusion in the opening of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Vonnegut's use of irony in Cat's Cradle. What are examples of verbal, dramatic, and situational irony in the novel? What purpose does each example serve? How is irony related to satire?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the history of Bokonon. How did Bokonon end up on San Lorenzo? Who was he with when he arrived? How did Bokonon gain control of the island? What did he institute once he gained control?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the narrative style of Cat's Cradle. From whose perspective is the narrative related? Why do you think the author chose to relate the narrative in this style? How would the narrative differ if it were related from a different narrative perspective?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)