|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the chip of Ice-nine that Dr. Felix Hoenikker created?
2. About how old is Miguel "Papa" Monzano described as being in Chapter 37?
3. How old is Frank Hoenikker when John finds his picture in the newspaper supplement in Chapter 37?
4. What business did Emily Hoenikker's father own?
5. What is the population of San Lorenzo, according to the newspaper supplement in Chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is surprising to John when he encounters the Hoenikker burial plot in Chapters 29 and 30?
2. How does Newt Hoenikker describe his interaction with his father on the day the atomic bomb was dropped over Hiroshima?
3. What symbolism can be seen in the graves of Emily and Felix Hoenikker?
4. How is Miss Pefko characterized in the novel?
5. What is the significance of the literary/religious allusion in the opening of Chapter 1?
6. What information does Newt relate about his siblings in his letter in Chapter 5?
7. What is significant about the metaphor of cannonballs in the narrative?
8. What aspects of Dr. Hoenikker's character are revealed through Dr. Breed's stories of him in Chapter 14?
9. How does the narrator describe San Lorenzo's attempt at communism in the narrative?
10. What is significant about Frank's action of staging bug fights in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the correlations between Ice-nine and weapons of mass destruction in our contemporary world. How would you compare the destructiveness of Ice-nine to the atomic bomb? What statements do you think that Vonnegut is making with Ice-nine regarding atomic warfare?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of John as the protagonist of Cat's Cradle. What attributes does John exhibit that make him a protagonist? Who or what is the antagonist of the narrative? What heroic attributes and tragic flaws are represented by John?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Kurt Vonnegut's use of literary, religious, and historical allusions in Cat's Cradle. What are examples of literary works alluded to in the novel? How do these works relate to Cat's Cradle in terms of theme, character, setting, etc.? What purpose do the allusions serve in the narrative?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)