|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the real name of the notorious English pirate described in Chapter 48?
2. How does John describe the aesthetic of Ilium, New York, in Chapter 13?
3. When was Bokonon born?
4. What is the first sentence in The Books of Bokonon?
5. For what company did Dr. Felix Hoenikker work most of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the scientific work done for the military at the General Forge and Foundry Company?
2. What is significant about Frank's action of staging bug fights in Chapter 6?
3. How is the theory of "Dynamic Tension" described in Chapter 47?
4. What is significant about the stone angel monument at the sales room in Ilium?
5. What are the Bokononist warnings that the narrator relates to the reader in Chapter 4?
6. How does fate bring the narrator to San Lorenzo?
7. What irony can be found in Dr. Breed's discussions of superstition in Chapters 16-18?
8. How is Miss Pefko characterized in the novel?
9. What irony is revealed in Dr. Breed's assessments of Ilium's history in Chapter 13?
10. How does the narrator describe San Lorenzo's attempt at communism in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of Cat's Cradle. Where in the story do the exposition and rising action occur? What comprises the climax of the story? How would you describe the falling action and denouement of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of John as the protagonist of Cat's Cradle. What attributes does John exhibit that make him a protagonist? Who or what is the antagonist of the narrative? What heroic attributes and tragic flaws are represented by John?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of San Lorenzo. What is the size of the island? How many inhabitants does it have? What are the primary exports of the island? How would you describe its economy and culture?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)