|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the island of San Lorenzo described as in Chapter 38?
2. Where was Dr. Felix Hoenikker when he died?
3. What was the real name of the notorious English pirate described in Chapter 48?
4. What was the name of the man that Dr. Breed describes as having been executed for committing 26 murders in Chapter 13?
5. How old was Frank Hoenikker when his father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the literary/religious allusion in the opening of Chapter 1?
2. What is significant about the stone angel monument at the sales room in Ilium?
3. What is significant about the metaphor of cannonballs in the narrative?
4. What statement do you think that Vonnegut is making in regards to politics and science in Cat's Cradle?
5. What does John discover about San Lorenzo from the advertising supplement in the newspaper in Chapter 37?
6. How does Bokononism influence the language style of the novel?
7. What symbolism can be seen in the graves of Emily and Felix Hoenikker?
8. What information does Newt relate about his siblings in his letter in Chapter 5?
9. What is significant about Frank's action of staging bug fights in Chapter 6?
10. How is the theory of "Dynamic Tension" described in Chapter 47?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of San Lorenzo. What is the size of the island? How many inhabitants does it have? What are the primary exports of the island? How would you describe its economy and culture?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Papa Monzano in the novel. How did Papa Monzano come to power? For how long has he been in power? What characteristics does Papa Monzano exhibit as a character and as a leader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of John as the protagonist of Cat's Cradle. What attributes does John exhibit that make him a protagonist? Who or what is the antagonist of the narrative? What heroic attributes and tragic flaws are represented by John?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)