|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second number that plays on the phonograph of "Cat House Piano" in Chapter 81?
(a) "Cat House Blues."
(b) "Jazz in the 5th."
(c) "Lost Highway."
(d) "Dragon Blues."
2. What does John cook for Mona and himself in the bomb shelter in Chapter 117?
(a) Campbell's chicken gumbo soup.
(b) Campbell's tomato soup.
(c) A steak and baked potato.
(d) Ramen noodles with broth.
3. What does Frank tell Angela she "bought" with her portion of Ice-nine in Chapter 109?
(a) "A brief affair."
(b) "A trip to Europe."
(c) "A house in the Hamptons."
(d) "A tomcat husband."
4. What is the title of Chapter 71?
(a) "The Happiness of Being an American."
(b) "A Tentative Tangling of Tendrils."
(c) "Just Like Saint Augustine."
(d) "Vice-president in Charge of Volcanoes."
5. Where does Frank place the hot plate in Chapter 111?
(a) On the xylophone.
(b) On the piano.
(c) On the sewer drain.
(d) On the bookcase.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian Castle say his playboy days had cost him in Chapter 80?
2. What Bokononist word means "lies"?
3. What does Frank say is the one thing that is sacred to Bokononists in Chapter 94?
4. How many rooms are in the hotel where John is staying in Chapter 72?
5. What does Mr. Crosby manufacture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the mass suicide of many inhabitants of San Lorenzo?
2. What is signified by Angela's statements about her father's income in Chapter 80?
3. What is ironic about Ambassador Minton's statement regarding the 100 martyrs?
4. How does Mrs. Crosby feel about her circumstances after the destruction of Ice-nine?
5. What concerns and conflicts arise with the death of Papa Monzano?
6. What causes the contamination of Ice-nine during the celebration in Chapter 115? What happens when Ice-nine is released?
7. What does the narrator comment regarding old men and wars in the novel?
8. What irony and satire can be seen in the "calypsos" of The Books of Bokonon?
9. What is satirical about the "writer's strike" that Philip Castle proposes in Chapter 103?
10. What is the impending celebration for in San Lorenzo when the narrator arrives?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)