|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is defined by Bokonon as "a person who steers people away from a line of speculation by reducing that line . . . to an absurdity"?
2. When does Dr. Breed describe the man being hung that had killed 26 people in Chapter 13?
3. What is the married name of Newt's sister, as revealed in his letter in Chapter 5?
(a) Mrs. Harrison C. Conners.
(b) Mrs. J. Smith Beacon.
(c) Mrs. Quincy Rudolph.
(d) Mrs. Newton B. Anderson.
4. Where was the Hoenikker family living at the time that the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima?
(a) New Brunswick, New Jersey.
(b) Princeton, New Jersey.
(c) Ilium, New York.
(d) Ithaca, New York.
5. What Christmas carol do the "girls" of Dr. Breed's office sing in Chapter 20?
(a) "White Christmas."
(b) "Silent Night."
(c) "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer."
(d) "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chapter 12's title?
2. How much is the long-distance phone bill that the poet left behind in John's apartment in Chapter 36?
3. How does John describe the aesthetic of Ilium, New York, in Chapter 13?
4. What was Bokonon's christened name?
5. What was the name of Remington Rumfoord's steam yacht that he traveled the world in with Bokonon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What statement do you think that Vonnegut is making in regards to politics and science in Cat's Cradle?
2. What is ironic about the scientific work done for the military at the General Forge and Foundry Company?
3. Who is Lyman Knowles and what does he represent in the novel?
4. What aspects of Dr. Hoenikker's character are revealed through Dr. Breed's stories of him in Chapter 14?
5. What is the significance of the literary/religious allusion in the opening of Chapter 1?
6. How does fate bring the narrator to San Lorenzo?
7. What does John discover about San Lorenzo from the advertising supplement in the newspaper in Chapter 37?
8. What is meant by Mrs. Minton's remarks on indexing in Chapter 55?
9. What irony is revealed in Dr. Breed's assessments of Ilium's history in Chapter 13?
10. What is significant about the stone angel monument at the sales room in Ilium?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)