|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Breed accuse John of being a member of in Chapter 21?
(a) The CIA.
(b) The FBI.
(c) The communist party.
(d) The yellow press.
2. What is the Bokononist term for a team that does "God's Will without ever discovering what they are doing" in Chapter 1?
3. Who is the poet that John let stay in his apartment while he was in Ilium in Chapter 36?
(a) Lyman Enders Knowles.
(b) Sherman Krebbs.
(c) Marvin Holderness.
(d) George Minor Moakely.
4. About how old is Miguel "Papa" Monzano described as being in Chapter 37?
(a) In his early 40s.
(b) In his late 50s.
(c) In his early 60s.
(d) In his late 70s.
5. What is Mrs. Crosby's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does John discover Frank Hoenikker holds in San Lorenzo in Chapter 37?
2. What Christmas carol do the "girls" of Dr. Breed's office sing in Chapter 20?
3. What color is the chip of Ice-nine that Dr. Felix Hoenikker created?
4. How much is the long-distance phone bill that the poet left behind in John's apartment in Chapter 36?
5. Where was Bokonon born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What statement do you think that Vonnegut is making in regards to politics and science in Cat's Cradle?
2. How does fate bring the narrator to San Lorenzo?
3. What is significant about the metaphor of cannonballs in the narrative?
4. Who is Lyman Knowles and what does he represent in the novel?
5. What is ironic about the scientific work done for the military at the General Forge and Foundry Company?
6. What irony is revealed in Dr. Breed's assessments of Ilium's history in Chapter 13?
7. How does the narrator describe San Lorenzo's attempt at communism in the narrative?
8. What are the Bokononist warnings that the narrator relates to the reader in Chapter 4?
9. What symbolism can be seen in the graves of Emily and Felix Hoenikker?
10. What project does Dr. Breed describe Dr. Hoenikker working on at the time of his death? What was Dr. Hoenikker's objective?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)