|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Frank Hoenikker when John finds his picture in the newspaper supplement in Chapter 37?
2. How long ago does Newt say his brother Frank disappeared in his letter in Chapter 5?
(a) 2 years ago.
(b) 10 years ago.
(c) 1 year ago.
(d) 5 years ago.
3. In what fraternity was the narrator a member during his college years?
(a) Theta Chi.
(b) Beta Theta Pi.
(c) Delta Upsilon.
(d) Kappa Sigma.
4. What is the title of the book that the narrator describes writing in Chapter 1?
(a) Dreams of Tomorrow.
(b) The Day the World Ended.
(c) The Ice-nine Cloud.
(d) The Book of Bokonon.
5. What is the title of Chapter 9?
(a) "A Tentative Tangling of Tendrils."
(b) "End of the World Delight."
(c) "Vice-president in Charge of Volcanoes."
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Angela Hoenikker when her mother died?
2. What was the Cape Cod Room called at the time when the atomic bomb was dropped on HIroshima?
3. Where was the Hoenikker family living at the time that the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima?
4. Where does John describe stopping for a 10-minute layover in Chapter 47?
5. What is the title of Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony can be found in Dr. Breed's discussions of superstition in Chapters 16-18?
2. What is significant about the metaphor of cannonballs in the narrative?
3. How is Miss Pefko characterized in the novel?
4. What statements does the author make about nihilism in Chapter 36?
5. How is Dr. Felix Hoenikker's personality described in Cat's Cradle?
6. What statement do you think that Vonnegut is making in regards to politics and science in Cat's Cradle?
7. What is significant about Frank's action of staging bug fights in Chapter 6?
8. What project does Dr. Breed describe Dr. Hoenikker working on at the time of his death? What was Dr. Hoenikker's objective?
9. What is the significance of the literary/religious allusion in the opening of Chapter 1?
10. Describe the narrative style of Cat's Cradle. Why do you think the author employs this style?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)