|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dr. Breed's first name?
2. What does John say in Chapter 32 "is what we Bokononists whisper whenever we think of how complicated and unpredictable the machinery of life really is"?
(a) "Qualms are folly."
(b) "A mystery in the midst."
(c) "No more no more."
(d) "Busy, busy, busy."
3. What is the title of Chapter 29?
(a) "No More Mud."
(b) "Gone, but Not Forgotten."
(c) "The Marines March On."
(d) "End of the World Delight."
4. To whom is the poem attributed on the tombstone that says, "Mother, Mother, how I pray / For you to guard us every day"?
(a) Felix Hoenikker.
(b) Angela Hoenikker.
(c) Frank Hoenikker.
(d) Newt Hoenikker.
5. What is the title of Chapter 19?
(a) "Vice-president in Charge of Volcanoes."
(b) "Secret Agent X-9."
(c) "End of the World Delight."
(d) "No More Mud."
6. Where was the Hoenikker family living at the time that the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima?
(a) New Brunswick, New Jersey.
(b) Princeton, New Jersey.
(c) Ithaca, New York.
(d) Ilium, New York.
7. Who is the eccentril elevator operator that John encounters in Chapter 28?
(a) Marvin Sharpe Holderness.
(b) Andrew James Krementz.
(c) Lyman Enders Knowles.
(d) George Minor Moakely.
8. What was the real name of the notorious English pirate described in Chapter 48?
(a) George Minor Moakely.
(b) Edward Teach.
(c) Lyman Enders Knowles.
(d) Sherman Krebbs.
9. Why does John go to the cemetery in Chapter 29?
(a) To pay respects to his grandmother.
(b) To take a photograph of Dr. Hoenikker's tombstone.
(c) To pay respects to his mother and father.
(d) To break into the Hoenikker crypt.
10. What is defined by Bokonon as "a person who steers people away from a line of speculation by reducing that line . . . to an absurdity"?
11. What was the name of the British destroyer that captured the German submarine that had taken Bokonon prisoner?
(a) The Scheherazade.
(b) The White Lion.
(c) The Lady's Slipper.
(d) The Raven.
12. John cites Bokonon in Chapter 31 as having said, "Peculiar travel suggestions are" what?
(a) "Warnings of a bleak future."
(b) "The leanings of fate."
(c) "Dancing lessons from God."
(d) "Kisses from the universe."
13. What is the name of the tombstone establishment where John goes with the cab driver in Chapter 31?
(a) Enders and Knowles.
(b) Moakley and Sons.
(c) Avram Breed and Sons.
(d) Anderson and Bracknell.
14. What was the name of Dr. Breed's wife?
15. When does Dr. Breed describe the man being hung that had killed 26 people in Chapter 13?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John describe stopping for a 10-minute layover in Chapter 47?
2. What is the name of the woman on the cover of the San Lorenzo supplement in the newspaper whom John falls in love with at first sight?
3. Who was the prisoner that wrote and sent his book to Dr. Felix Hoenikker?
4. How tall does Newt Hoenikker claim to be in his letter to John?
5. How old was Angela when her father died?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)