|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for the play's opening act?
2. What does Maggie reassure Brick about?
3. What does Maggie call herself?
4. According to Maggie, you can be young without ______________ but you cannot be old without it.
5. Who interrupts Brick and Maggie as they argue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brick respond to Maggie's plan?
2. What is the premise and the setting for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?
3. Why does Maggie think Gooper thinks he is more socially advanced than the others?
4. What is the real truth about Big Daddy's health?
5. What is Big Daddy's experience with mendacity?
6. What is the setting for the opening of the play?
7. What is the irony of Brick's hatred of mendacity in others?
8. What does Big Mama tell the family about Big Daddy and the inheritance after her emotions stabilize?
9. Explain the ways Brick and Maggie are positioned unfavorably as well as favorably for Big Daddy's inheritance.
10. How does Brick explain his alcohol abuse to Big Daddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define mendacity. How does Brick define it in his life? How does Big Daddy define it in his?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title and Maggie's character. What characteristics does she exhibit to earn the name and what are the circumstances that have created it?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the family decides to not tell Big Daddy about the gravity of his illness. Are they really trying to spare him the pain of a terminal diagnosis? Or do they fear his response?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)