|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Big Mama blame for the demise of Brick and Maggie's marriage?
2. How many children does Mae have?
3. Who is the other main character?
4. Who is the patriarch of the family?
5. What does the doctor intend to tell Big Mama tonight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Brick's hatred of mendacity in others?
2. What does Big Daddy believe about the relationship between Brick and Skipper?
3. Why does Maggie think Gooper thinks he is more socially advanced than the others?
4. What does Maggie say to Brick after everyone else has left their room?
5. Explain how Maggie seizes the opportunity to take control of all the inheritance talk.
6. What is Brick's explanation for his broken ankle?
7. What is the setting for the opening of the play?
8. How does Brick explain his alcohol abuse to Big Daddy?
9. How does Williams use the literary technique of flashback in this act?
10. How does Big Daddy indicate that he is back in control of running the plantation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s, especially as it related to popular athletes like Brick and Skipper.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of fatal illnesses related to deception for both Big Daddy and Brick. How does deception serve as a tool for one and a destroyer for the other?
Essay Topic 3
Because Big Daddy is a self-made man, he finds the vulture-like characteristics of his family members to be particularly repugnant. Project how you think Big Daddy will write his final will now that he knows he is dying.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)