|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie offer Brick as some relief from the summer heat?
2. Who does Big Mama blame for the demise of Brick and Maggie's marriage?
3. How many acts are in this play?
4. What is Mae's family background?
5. Who is the other main character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real truth about Big Daddy's health?
2. What are Maggie's plans for outwaiting Brick's current indifference toward her?
3. What are the details of Maggie's encounter with Brick's close friend, Skipper?
4. What is Maggie's plan to make her lie become a truth?
5. How does Big Daddy react when Brick tells him of his medical prognosis?
6. What does Big Mama think is best for Big Daddy after this big day?
7. What is Brick's explanation for his broken ankle?
8. How does Big Daddy indicate that he is back in control of running the plantation?
9. What is Big Daddy's experience with mendacity?
10. Why does Maggie think Gooper thinks he is more socially advanced than the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Big Daddy's feelings toward the specific people in his family: Big Mama, Brick, Maggie, Gooper and Mae, Gooper and Mae's five children.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why the family decides to not tell Big Daddy about the gravity of his illness. Are they really trying to spare him the pain of a terminal diagnosis? Or do they fear his response?
Essay Topic 3
What position does Maggie take with the news of Big Daddy's terminal illness? Explain how she is both sentimental and realistic.
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)