|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which one of Brick's friends did Maggie make love?
2. Who is one of the main characters?
3. What is Brick doing when Maggie is talking to him?
4. How many children does Mae have?
5. Where is Brick hiding while Big Mama chastises Maggie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Big Mama's reaction after learning of Bid Daddy's terminal cancer diagnosis?
2. What do the others in the room do that irritates Big Mama?
3. How does Brick explain what happened to Skipper?
4. What is the real truth about Big Daddy's health?
5. Maggie must change her dress which has been soiled by one of Gooper and Mae's children. What does Maggie think of the children and what does she call them?
6. How does Gooper try to segue into discussing Big Daddy's health?
7. Why is Big Daddy especially cruel in his comments toward Big Mama?
8. How does Brick explain his alcohol abuse to Big Daddy?
9. In what ways does Big Daddy think Brick's drinking has negatively affected Brick's life?
10. Who are Gooper and Mae?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Brick exhibit such indifference toward Maggie? Why does he want to hurt her when he knows that withholding affection is as debilitating as a physical wound to someone like Maggie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Williams use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s, especially as it related to popular athletes like Brick and Skipper.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)