|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which character is the play named?
2. Who does Maggie think will be named the primary beneficiaries in Big Daddy's will?
3. In what state does the family live?
4. What does Brick do when Maggie makes suggestive advances?
5. Why does Maggie plead with Brick?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Big Daddy think Brick's drinking has negatively affected Brick's life?
2. According to Maggie, what are Gooper and Mae's intentions regarding the family's inheritance?
3. Explain the ways Brick and Maggie are positioned unfavorably as well as favorably for Big Daddy's inheritance.
4. What are Maggie's thoughts about Big Daddy's birthday which will be his last?
5. What does Big Mama think is best for Big Daddy after this big day?
6. What is Big Mama's reaction after learning of Bid Daddy's terminal cancer diagnosis?
7. Give some examples of how the theme of truth is exhibited in this act?
8. How does Gooper try to segue into discussing Big Daddy's health?
9. How does Big Mama react to Gooper and Mae's insensitivity?
10. Why must Maggie tell Brick everything that happened at the family's dinner that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of fatal illnesses related to deception for both Big Daddy and Brick. How does deception serve as a tool for one and a destroyer for the other?
Essay Topic 2
Why have Gooper and Mae foregone their normal hiatus to the Great Smoky Mountains this year? Why do they think it is a critical time for them to spend time at the Pollitt plantation?
Essay Topic 3
Define mendacity. How does Brick define it in his life? How does Big Daddy define it in his?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)