|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Brick and Maggie by pounding on the door?
2. Where is Brick hiding while Big Mama chastises Maggie?
3. Why does Maggie plead with Brick?
4. How many acts are in this play?
5. How many children does Mae have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Big Daddy's experience with mendacity?
2. How does Gooper try to segue into discussing Big Daddy's health?
3. What is Big Mama's reaction after learning of Bid Daddy's terminal cancer diagnosis?
4. According to Maggie, what are Gooper and Mae's intentions regarding the family's inheritance?
5. How does Brick respond to Maggie's plan?
6. What is the setting for Act 3 of the play?
7. Why does Maggie think Gooper thinks he is more socially advanced than the others?
8. How does Williams use the literary technique of flashback in this act?
9. Why has the subject of the inheritance risen in importance?
10. What does Maggie say that creates the play's title?
Essay Topic 1
Because Big Daddy is a self-made man, he finds the vulture-like characteristics of his family members to be particularly repugnant. Project how you think Big Daddy will write his final will now that he knows he is dying.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of married women in the 1950s, especially Maggie's frustration that Mae has five children and is pregnant again while Maggie remains childless.
Essay Topic 3
What position does Maggie take with the news of Big Daddy's terminal illness? Explain how she is both sentimental and realistic.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)