|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Big Mama think Big Daddy's disease is?
2. What function does the setting also serve?
3. How many acts are in this play?
4. What does Maggie offer Brick as some relief from the summer heat?
5. How many children do Brick and Maggie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Maggie's thoughts about Big Daddy's birthday which will be his last?
2. What is the premise and the setting for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?
3. What are Maggie's plans for outwaiting Brick's current indifference toward her?
4. Explain the ways Brick and Maggie are positioned unfavorably as well as favorably for Big Daddy's inheritance.
5. Give some examples of how the theme of truth is exhibited in this act?
6. What is the setting for the opening of the play?
7. How does Williams use the literary technique of flashback in this act?
8. How does Big Daddy react when Brick tells him of his medical prognosis?
9. How does Brick respond to Maggie's plan?
10. What is the real truth about Big Daddy's health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Brick's crutch. Why does Williams give Brick a broken ankle? Does Brick's immobility force a climax in his relationships? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Big Daddy's feelings toward the specific people in his family: Big Mama, Brick, Maggie, Gooper and Mae, Gooper and Mae's five children.
Essay Topic 3
Why have Gooper and Mae foregone their normal hiatus to the Great Smoky Mountains this year? Why do they think it is a critical time for them to spend time at the Pollitt plantation?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)