|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mae's family background?
2. What is the setting for the play's opening act?
3. Why is the play's name attributed to that character?
4. In what state does the family live?
5. What does Maggie call Mae's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the opening of the play?
2. Where does Big Mama think Big Daddy is?
3. How do Gooper and Mae justify their suitability for the inheritance?
4. What is the premise and the setting for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?
5. What does Big Mama reveal about who will inherit the Pollitt land?
6. What does Big Daddy believe about the relationship between Brick and Skipper?
7. What is the official start of Big Daddy's birthday party?
8. What is Big Mama's reaction after learning of Bid Daddy's terminal cancer diagnosis?
9. What do the others in the room do that irritates Big Mama?
10. Why does Brick try several times to leave the room and escape conversation with Big Daddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because Big Daddy is a self-made man, he finds the vulture-like characteristics of his family members to be particularly repugnant. Project how you think Big Daddy will write his final will now that he knows he is dying.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Williams use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of fatal illnesses related to deception for both Big Daddy and Brick. How does deception serve as a tool for one and a destroyer for the other?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)