|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the patriarch of the family?
2. What does Maggie reassure Brick about?
3. What does the doctor intend to tell Big Mama tonight?
4. Who occupies the setting of the first act?
5. According to Maggie, who sees Big Daddy's last birthday as a double cause for celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must Maggie tell Brick everything that happened at the family's dinner that evening?
2. What are Big Daddy's current thoughts about who to leave the plantation to when he dies?
3. How do Gooper and Mae react upon hearing that Brick is Big Daddy's favorite child?
4. What does Big Mama tell the family about Big Daddy and the inheritance after her emotions stabilize?
5. Who is the person who tells Big Mama about the severity of Big Daddy's illness?
6. What does Big Mama reveal about who will inherit the Pollitt land?
7. What are the details of Maggie's encounter with Brick's close friend, Skipper?
8. How has Maggie fulfilled her role as a cat on a hot tin roof?
9. What does Big Daddy believe about the relationship between Brick and Skipper?
10. How do Gooper and Mae justify their suitability for the inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of fatal illnesses related to deception for both Big Daddy and Brick. How does deception serve as a tool for one and a destroyer for the other?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Williams use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
What name does Maggie invent for Gooper and Mae's children? What does this name indicate about Maggie's feelings toward Gooper and Mae? Toward children in general? Toward her own childlessness?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)