|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the patriarch of the family?
2. With whom had people thought Brick had an inappropriate relationship?
3. Why is the play's name attributed to that character?
4. What does Brick choose to wear to the event?
5. How are the two main characters related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Maggie's thoughts about Big Daddy's birthday which will be his last?
2. What do the others in the room do that irritates Big Mama?
3. What are Big Daddy's current thoughts about who to leave the plantation to when he dies?
4. How does Brick respond to Maggie's claims of loneliness?
5. Why has the subject of the inheritance risen in importance?
6. Why does Brick suffer such guilt over Skipper's suicide?
7. What is the theme in Act 2 of the play?
8. Why must Maggie tell Brick everything that happened at the family's dinner that evening?
9. What is Big Daddy's experience with mendacity?
10. What is one way that Maggie might be able to endure this period of sexual deprivation in her marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What self-destructive behavior does Brick exhibit? How do Gooper and Mae plan to use Brick's behavior to their own advantage?
Essay Topic 2
What name does Maggie invent for Gooper and Mae's children? What does this name indicate about Maggie's feelings toward Gooper and Mae? Toward children in general? Toward her own childlessness?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1950s, especially as it related to popular athletes like Brick and Skipper.
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)