|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the other main character?
2. How does Brick feel about the upcoming event?
3. Which one of Mae's children interrupts Brick and Maggie during their argument?
4. Who interrupts Brick and Maggie by pounding on the door?
5. What does Maggie offer Brick as some relief from the summer heat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maggie must change her dress which has been soiled by one of Gooper and Mae's children. What does Maggie think of the children and what does she call them?
2. What is Big Mama's reason for abruptly entering Brick and Maggie's bedroom?
3. What are Maggie's thoughts about Big Daddy's birthday which will be his last?
4. What does Big Daddy believe about the relationship between Brick and Skipper?
5. What are Big Daddy's current thoughts about who to leave the plantation to when he dies?
6. Why does Brick suffer such guilt over Skipper's suicide?
7. How do Gooper and Mae react upon hearing that Brick is Big Daddy's favorite child?
8. Why does Maggie think Gooper thinks he is more socially advanced than the others?
9. Why is Big Daddy especially cruel in his comments toward Big Mama?
10. What is the irony of Brick's hatred of mendacity in others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What self-destructive behavior does Brick exhibit? How do Gooper and Mae plan to use Brick's behavior to their own advantage?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title and Maggie's character. What characteristics does she exhibit to earn the name and what are the circumstances that have created it?
Essay Topic 3
What name does Maggie invent for Gooper and Mae's children? What does this name indicate about Maggie's feelings toward Gooper and Mae? Toward children in general? Toward her own childlessness?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)