|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine talk to her mother about in July?
2. How does Catherine react to Aelis' impending marriage in September?
3. What is August the month of?
4. What does Ethelfritha claim she has seen in April?
5. Who is George married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Meg? What happens to Meg in March?
2. What happens in regards to Catherine's engagement in May?
3. Who is Odd William and what story does he tell Catherine?
4. What ailment does Catherine's father have in June?
5. What do the villagers do on May Day?
6. What is Holy Week? How do the characters prepare for Holy Week?
7. Why does Catherine's father throw a priest down the stairs in September?
8. What does Catherine talk to Aunt Ethelfritha about when she runs away in September?
9. Describe Catherine's mother's childbirth experience in September.
10. Who dies in May?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the Crusades? How were they depicted in the novel? How are Catherine and the rest of her family impacted by the Crusades? How does George describe the Crusades? How does this description compare with Catherine's imagined version of the Crusades?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel Catherine, Called Birdy. Why is Catherine jealous of George and Lady Aelis' relationship? What does this tell the reader about her character?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)