|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine talk to her mother about in July?
2. Who is coming for a visit after Easter?
3. What does Catherine start a book of in July?
4. What is August the month of?
5. Who is George married to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ailment does Catherine's father have in June?
2. Who is Aelis to wed in September? How does Catherine react to this news?
3. Why does Catherine's father throw a priest down the stairs in September?
4. What does Catherine witness Geoffrey doing in April?
5. What does Catherine see at the fair in August? How does she feel about what she sees?
6. Who is Geoffrey? What does Catherine think of Geoffrey?
7. How does Catherine prepare for her impending marriage to Shaggy Beard?
8. What does Shaggy Beard have to do with Catherine's purchase of the bear at the fair in August?
9. Describe Aunt Ethelfritha.
10. Who dies in May?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel? What are elements commonly found in this type of novel? What are some other examples of works of this genre? What similarities do these works share with the novel Catherine, Called Birdy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Catherine's family. Who are the members of her family? What are her relationships like with each member? Why does Catherine get along better with her mother and Edward than she does Robert and her father? What does Catherine think of George?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)