|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do to Geoffrey in April?
2. Where does Catherine visit Meg in July?
3. What does Shaggy Beard want in March?
4. What is Catherine not successful at when April begins?
5. How does Catherine describe Agnes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert do with the bear that Catherine buys at the fair?
2. Who dies in May?
3. Who is Agnes? What does Catherine think of Agnes?
4. Why does Catherine's father throw a priest down the stairs in September?
5. What does Catherine talk to Aunt Ethelfritha about when she runs away in September?
6. What idea does Catherine come up with at the end of June?
7. Who is Geoffrey? What does Catherine think of Geoffrey?
8. Who is Odd William and what story does he tell Catherine?
9. What does Shaggy Beard have to do with Catherine's purchase of the bear at the fair in August?
10. Describe Catherine's mother's childbirth experience in September.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Catherine feel somewhat jealous of Meg's and Alf's home life? What does this tell the reader about Catherine's hopes and dreams?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death motif in the novel. Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths impact the other characters? How is death treated during this time period? How do the funerals of Perkin's grandmother and the Queen differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)