|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine confess to hating in the first chapter?
2. Who is Catherine's partner during the festivities in February?
3. What does Catherine see on her way home at the beginning of December?
4. Who are the villagers building a cottage for in October?
5. What is Edward's job or calling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine observe of the Jewish group that passes through the village?
2. Describe some of Catherine's suitors.
3. Describe the Christmas celebrations in December.
4. How did Catherine's parents meet?
5. Who are some of the characters that the reader is introduced to early on in the novel?
6. Why does Catherine consider living in a nunnery? Why does she decide against it in the end?
7. Why does Catherine cry a lot in November?
8. What does Catherine learn about the outside world in December?
9. How has the Crusades affected Catherine's family?
10. Why does the house have a huge feast in late February?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of marriage in the novel Catherine, Called Birdy. Discuss the marriages/ engagements of Catherine and Shaggy Beard, Lady Aelis and the Duke, George and Ethelfritha, and Catherine's parents. Why do these couples get married? Who decides on the marriages? Are the unions happy ones?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death motif in the novel. Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths impact the other characters? How is death treated during this time period? How do the funerals of Perkin's grandmother and the Queen differ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe each of Catherine's suitors. Who is each of them, why do they wish to marry Catherine, and why are they ultimately scared off in the end? How does Catherine feel about each one?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)