|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Catherine's dog from being killed in February?
2. What day is it at the end of the first chapter?
3. What does Catherine begin to talk about at the beginning of the novel?
4. What is the likely reason that Robert is marrying in February?
5. How does Catherine feel about her partner in February?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shaggy Beard do in February that upsets Catherine?
2. What does Catherine learn about the outside world in December?
3. What are some examples of how life was different in the 1200's compared to how they are now?
4. How does Catherine take care of others in January? How does she feel about this?
5. What happens in the hall in February?
6. Why does the house have a huge feast in late February?
7. Describe some of Catherine's suitors.
8. How does Catherine scare off a suitor in December?
9. What does Catherine share about Lady Aelis in February?
10. What is the setting of the novel Catherine, Called Birdy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel Catherine, Called Birdy. Is friendship important to Catherine? Who are her friends? How does she help her friends and how do they help her?
Essay Topic 2
What were the Crusades? How were they depicted in the novel? How are Catherine and the rest of her family impacted by the Crusades? How does George describe the Crusades? How does this description compare with Catherine's imagined version of the Crusades?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of the novel? What are elements commonly found in this type of novel? What are some other examples of works of this genre? What similarities do these works share with the novel Catherine, Called Birdy?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)