|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine confess to hating in the first chapter?
2. What are Catherine and her mother presented with when they visit an abbey in October?
3. What does Catherine begin to talk about at the beginning of the novel?
4. Who is returning home for Christmas, much to Catherine's chagrin?
5. What does Catherine's father keep trying to do to Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are some of the characters that the reader is introduced to early on in the novel?
2. What does Catherine think of the abbey and the monk's lifestyle when she visits her brother?
3. What is Catherine's social status?
4. What happens in the hall in February?
5. What is the setting of the novel Catherine, Called Birdy?
6. What does Shaggy Beard do in February that upsets Catherine?
7. How did Catherine's parents meet?
8. Describe the Christmas celebrations in December.
9. What does Catherine learn about the outside world in December?
10. Describe Catherine's visit with the King's cousin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the death motif in the novel. Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths impact the other characters? How is death treated during this time period? How do the funerals of Perkin's grandmother and the Queen differ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of friendship in the novel Catherine, Called Birdy. Is friendship important to Catherine? Who are her friends? How does she help her friends and how do they help her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Catherine. What are her defining character traits? What is her role in the story? What struggles or obstacles does she face throughout the novel? Does she grow as a character? If so, how?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)