|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Thomas?
(a) Catherine's brother.
(b) Catherine's cousin.
(c) Catherine's father.
(d) Catherine's uncle.
2. Why does Catherine put on boy's clothes in October?
(a) To try and travel with the group that is passing through her town.
(b) To trick her aunt who she has never met.
(c) To be able to compete in an archery contest.
(d) To join the circus.
3. Who is returning home for Christmas, much to Catherine's chagrin?
4. How does Catherine behave to a suitor in February?
(a) She is flirtacious.
(b) She is childish and sarcastic.
(c) She is rude to him and sulks the whole time.
(d) She is kind but distant.
5. What does Catherine tell the man on horseback about the woman he plans to propose to?
(a) She is quiet and insecure.
(b) She is mean-spirited and greedy.
(c) She is stupid and hunchbacked.
(d) She is beautiful and smart.
6. How does George react to Aelis' marriage?
(a) He is happy for her.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is desolate.
(d) He is indifferent.
7. How does Catherine get rid of a suitor in December?
(a) She snorts when she laughs and eats her food with her hands.
(b) She throws tar and feathers on him.
(c) She tricks him into asking for an enormous dowry that her father will not give.
(d) She dresses like a boy and even cuts her hair.
8. Who comes for a visit in February?
(a) The King's sister.
(b) The King's advisor.
(c) The King's niece.
(d) The King's cousin.
9. What happens in the hall in February?
(a) The chandelier crashes to the ground.
(b) The hall becomes flooded.
(c) Perkin faints in the hall.
(d) A brawl.
10. What does Catherine begin to talk about at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Her hopes for the future.
(b) Her brother.
(c) The King and Queen.
(d) Everyday details of her life.
11. What does the reader learn about Catherine's mother's youth in November?
(a) She was a tomboy.
(b) She was ill for most of her youth.
(c) She was desired by every bachelor in the county.
(d) She was the ward of a baron.
12. What is Master Lack-Wit's job?
(a) He is a wool merchant.
(b) He is a doctor.
(c) He is a silk merchant.
(d) He is a sergeant.
13. Who does Aelis marry in January?
(a) A dairy farmer.
(b) A seven-year old duke.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) A merchant.
14. What does Catherine confess to hating in the first chapter?
15. What type of bird does Catherine not care for?
(a) The chicken.
(b) The ostrich.
(c) The peacock.
(d) The swan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Catherine's maternal grandfather impressed by Catherine's father?
2. What makes Catherine cry in November?
3. Who does the beautiful man on horseback tell Catherine he is going to propose to?
4. Who tells Catherine that she needs to be herself in October?
5. How does Catherine describe the visitor in February?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)