|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine begin to talk about at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The King and Queen.
(b) Her hopes for the future.
(c) Everyday details of her life.
(d) Her brother.
2. What does Catherine see on her way home at the beginning of December?
(a) A fight between two old friends.
(b) A group of boys throwing rocks at a cat.
(c) An old woman fainting.
(d) A funeral procession.
3. What are Catherine and her mother presented with when they visit an abbey in October?
(a) A scroll.
(b) A handbook written by Catherine's brother.
(c) A sash.
(d) A book of Saint's Days.
4. Besides her bedding, where else does Catherine have to pick out a certain insect?
(a) From her food.
(b) From the rug on the floor.
(c) From the guest bedding.
(d) Off of her body.
5. What does Catherine have to pick out of her bedding?
6. Where does Catherine and Lady Aelis decide to meet in one weeks' time in October?
(a) By the lake.
(b) At Catherine's home.
(c) In a nearby field.
(d) In church.
7. Where are Robert and Thomas in Chapter 1?
(a) Fighting in the Crusades.
(b) Studying at the abbey.
(c) Away on business.
(d) Recovering from illness near the sea.
8. What does Catherine make a list of in January?
(a) Things women can't do that she would like to do.
(b) Groceries she needs to buy.
(c) The people she needs to apologize for.
(d) Her favorite things.
9. Why does Aelis miss a meeting with Catherine in the meadow in November?
(a) She is with George.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is busy preparing her home for a guest.
(d) She is out of town.
10. Why is a suitor of Catherine's scared off in January?
(a) Because of her bird collection.
(b) Because of her manners.
(c) Because of her father.
(d) Because of her outfit.
11. How does Catherine get rid of a suitor in December?
(a) She dresses like a boy and even cuts her hair.
(b) She snorts when she laughs and eats her food with her hands.
(c) She throws tar and feathers on him.
(d) She tricks him into asking for an enormous dowry that her father will not give.
12. What does Catherine imagine her 'real' father as in November?
(a) A king's fool or court musician.
(b) An explorer.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A king or a woodsmith.
13. How does Catherine's family celebrate Christmas?
(a) They visit London.
(b) They say a simple prayer on Christmas Eve.
(c) With a feast in the hall and a nativity play.
(d) They have a dance with the villagers.
14. How does Catherine feel about her partner in February?
(a) She thinks he is a funny dancer.
(b) She thinks he is disgusting.
(c) She thinks he looks sad.
(d) She thinks he is kind and sweet.
15. Who does Catherine consider casting a spell on in November?
(a) Her suitor.
(b) George and Aelis.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the novel Catherine, Called Birdy?
2. What rodent does Catherine liken the visitor to in February?
3. Who is Perkin?
4. What does Catherine have a dream about in early January?
5. According to the visitor in February, what must Catherine learn about?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)