|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will Martin deliver to Burke if the assault is launched?
2. Who hears the Fenians' confessions before the police storm the cathedral?
3. Why does Hickey threaten to kill Schroeder's daughter?
4. After the police attack, Burke tells Spiegel to make sure he receives what?
5. What is Bellini in charge of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the relationship between Schroeder and Burke? Why?
2. What does Langley report to Hickey about the status of the release of the prisoners?
3. After Maureen is put in the car to be taken to a hospital, what do you think will happen to her next?
4. Describe the attack plan Schroeder tells to Flynn.
5. Describe the assault on the cathedral.
6. What is Operation Phoenix?
7. Describe the preparations the Fenians do with the lights just before the attack by the police.
8. Describe the conflict between Hickey and Flynn at the end of Book 4, Chapter 55.
9. At the end of Book 4, Chapter 40, what new information does Jack Ferguson give Burke?
10. When it is evident the police are going to storm the cathedral, if you were Flynn, would you move forward and stand strong or give in on your demands? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, write a literary critique of The Cathedral. Include the following:
· What is the author's purpose in writing the story?
· What is the author's underlying belief about the topic?
· Do you agree with the author's conclusions?
· Does the writing follow a conventional plot diagram?
· Is the conflict made clear?
· Do you agree with the author's resolution of the conflict?
· Is there enough evidence throughout the novel to support the events that take place?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to simply telling a story, authors also try to create a mood that enhances the story. In an essay, using examples from the novel, describe the mood of Cathedral. What literary devices does he use to create this mood?
Essay Topic 3
Write an expository essay giving an overview of the conflict in Northern Ireland. Include a historical basis for the conflict, key events in the struggle and how the conflict is demonstrated in the novel, Cathedral.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)