|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is appointed temporary negotiator after Schroeder?
2. Who does Spiegel set up to be the hero?
3. During the attack, what happens to Bellini?
4. How many hit lists is Jack Ferguson on?
5. During the police invasion, where is Flynn positioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Schroeder leave the press conference?
2. When it is evident the police are going to storm the cathedral, if you were Flynn, would you move forward and stand strong or give in on your demands? Why?
3. What does Hickey want to see happen to Maureen?
4. What is Operation Phoenix?
5. After Maureen is put in the car to be taken to a hospital, what do you think will happen to her next?
6. Why is Bellini told to advance the attack to 5:15 a.m.?
7. During Maureen's escape attempt into the crawlspace, Hickey goes by the old rules of the IRA. What rule is this, and how does he follow it?
8. Why hasn't Flynn responded to the government's offer?
9. What is Maureen's response to Brian when he asks her to come with him after the hostage situation is over?
10. Describe the attack plan Schroeder tells to Flynn.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in Cathedral is that of being a revolutionary. How is this theme embedded in the novel? Explain which characters are revolutionaries and what cause they are fighting for. How do you think the author feels about the cause they are fighting for? In your essay, include whether or not you think it is a worthwhile cause.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, an author's bias about an event comes through in their writing. In an essay, evaluate DeMille's stance on the conflict in Northern Ireland. Whose side would he be on? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, analyze what affect point of view has on the novel. Using examples from the text, from what point of view is Cathedral told? How would the novel change if it were told from the point of view of each of the following characters:
• Brian Flynn
• Maureen Malone
• Patrick Burke
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)