|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the hostages is first to be rescued?
2. What information does Stillway provide to Bellini?
3. Where does the attack by the police begin?
4. What does Maureen hit the Fenian with, who finds her under the cathedral?
5. What does Hickey compare the Cardinal handcuffed to the gate to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langley report to Hickey about the status of the release of the prisoners?
2. What is Maureen's response to Brian when he asks her to come with him after the hostage situation is over?
3. In Book 5, why doesn't the bomb go off as planned?
4. In the end, how does Burke become just like one of the politicians?
5. Why is Bellini told to advance the attack to 5:15 a.m.?
6. At the end of Book 4, Chapter 50, what is the likelihood of the situation coming to a peaceful end? Why?
7. Why hasn't Flynn responded to the government's offer?
8. At the end of Book 4, Chapter 40, what new information does Jack Ferguson give Burke?
9. Describe the attack plan Schroeder tells to Flynn.
10. Why is Bellini not optimistic about the assault on the cathedral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
DeMille uses foreshadowing to further the plot development in this suspenseful novel. How is foreshadowing used as a literary technique to advance the plot of this novel? Using examples from the text as evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that outlines the theme of terrorism as it relates to the novel, Cathedral. Include the cause of the terrorist attacks, why the Fenians became terrorists, and whether or not terrorism was an effective way to reach their goals. In your essay, analyze whether or not terrorism works and strategies to curb future terrorist attacks.
Essay Topic 3
The setting significantly affects the plot of a novel. In an essay, analyze the role of setting including a description of the setting of Cathedral, how the setting can change the novel, and examples of how the novel would be different if the setting were to change.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)