|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 4, Chapter 32, why do Father Murphy and the Cardinal go to the confessional?
2. What is the relationship of Megan and Pedar?
3. Who will pay for the expense of the hostage situation?
4. In Book 1, what is Maureen Malone doing at the Waldorf Astoria hotel?
5. Who captured Brian Flynn a few months before the St. Patrick's day attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the ravine with the murder of the two British soldiers?
2. What happens when members of the IRA try to free Sheila?
3. What is Maureen doing at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel?
4. In the hotel, how does Maureen know that Flynn is in the area?
5. Schroeder and Spiegal are at odds with each other. Explain each of their positions.
6. What happens when Sheila is brought in for questioning?
7. What does Flynn tell the police on the first phone call?
8. Why does Maureen want to escape?
9. In Book 2, what does Brian place in the choir loft?
10. Who are the Fenians and who is their leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a literary device used to give meaning to an object beyond the obvious. Write an essay that analyzes a symbol used in Cathedral. Include a description of the symbol and how it is used in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
DeMille uses foreshadowing to further the plot development in this suspenseful novel. How is foreshadowing used as a literary technique to advance the plot of this novel? Using examples from the text as evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there are many times where a character has to make the decision to fight or run away. In an essay, cite examples of this fight or flight reflex in the novel. In each instance, evaluate whether or not the character did the appropriate thing. How might the story be different if the character did the opposite? Do you agree or disagree with the character's actions?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)