|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the female, second in command at the cathedral?
2. In Book 4 Chapter 29, who does Flynn offer to let go?
3. Who turns Queen's evidence against Sheila?
4. How does Jack describe the leader of the Fenians to Burke?
5. Who is the first person to make contact with the terrorists inside the cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flynn think Martin's ulterior motive is?
2. Why does Maureen want to escape?
3. What happens when members of the IRA try to free Sheila?
4. Why does Burke want Martin excluded from the negotiations?
5. What happens when Sheila is brought in for questioning?
6. Why does Brian think today is the last time he will see Maureen?
7. What does Burke find in the architect's apartment?
8. At the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 21, what happens when Maureen tries to escape?
9. Who helps Brian and Maureen at the abbey, and what does Brian find out about him later?
10. What happens after the signal to start the attack by the Fenians is given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an expository essay giving an overview of the conflict in Northern Ireland. Include a historical basis for the conflict, key events in the struggle and how the conflict is demonstrated in the novel, Cathedral.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel Cathedral, Burke and Schroeder each act as negotiator at different times and in different ways. In an essay, compare and contrast each of their negotiating styles. Ultimately, who is more successful? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Brian Flynn can be described as a dynamic character because his actions change throughout the novel. One reason is because of the relationship between Brian and Maureen. In an essay, write a character analysis that analyzes the impact Maureen has had on Brian's actions. Citing specific examples from the text, what has Brian done because of his feelings for Maureen that he might not have done if they didn't have a relationship?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)