|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, Chapter 10, who does Maureen think an assassin will try to kill today?
2. After Flynn and the Cardinal talk about secret passages, where do Father Murphy and Maureen go?
3. Which of the hostages suggests making a break for it in Book 4, Chapter 19?
4. What does Martin say about Flynn's threat to blow up the cathedral?
5. In Book 4, Chapter 18, what does Eamon Farrell find in the tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Brian and Maureen at the abbey, and what does Brian find out about him later?
2. How does Brian get his codename?
3. What does Flynn tell the police on the first phone call?
4. In the hotel, how does Maureen know that Flynn is in the area?
5. What are the Fenians' plans for the cathedral?
6. What happens when members of the IRA try to free Sheila?
7. When Burke brings the food requested by the terrorists, what does Maureen do?
8. Schroeder and Spiegal are at odds with each other. Explain each of their positions.
9. What does Flynn think Martin's ulterior motive is?
10. In Book 3, why does Burke think there is a British conspiracy as well as an Irish one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After demanding to give a press conference, Flynn turns over the task of given the conference to Hickey. In an essay, analyze and evaluate this decision made by Flynn. Why didn't Flynn give the press conference? Do you think Hickey made the situation better or worse? In your essay, cite examples from the text to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Cathedral, Brian Flynn goes through various changes that affect how the reader feels about him. In an essay, analyze how Flynn is a dynamic character. At the beginning of the novel, do you see him as a "good guy" or a "bad guy"? How does that change throughout the novel? Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that outlines the theme of terrorism as it relates to the novel, Cathedral. Include the cause of the terrorist attacks, why the Fenians became terrorists, and whether or not terrorism was an effective way to reach their goals. In your essay, analyze whether or not terrorism works and strategies to curb future terrorist attacks.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)