|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to the portion of a story that introduces the important background information, such as the narrator’s descriptions of his wife’s history with the blind man in “Cathedral”?
2. The narrator says of the “officer-to-be” that he’d been his wife’s what?
3. Where in Portugal does the television show feature a cathedral?
4. How does the narrator describe the physicality of the blind man after his arrival?
5. What does the narrator say his wife writes one or two of every year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator pity Beulah in the beginning of the story?
2. What prompts the narrator to begin speaking during the television show?
3. What takes place in the story as it builds to its climax?
4. Why does the narrator apologize to Robert during their discussion after his wife’s fallen asleep?
5. How is the narrator’s “blind drawing” experience described?
6. How does the reader gain insight into the narrator’s prejudices against blindness in the story?
7. What activity does the blind man suggest to the narrator during their discussion about cathedrals?
8. What does the blind man suggest when he feels the drawing is complete? How does the narrator respond?
9. How does the narrator describe Robert’s eyes in the story?
10. How does the narrator describe Robert’s arrival in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Middle Ages and the erection of cathedrals during this historical period. Where are the cathedrals in the story (on television) principally located? Why? How are these structures described?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the marriage of the narrator and his wife and the marriage of Robert and Beulah as seen in the text. How are these relationships similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative style of “Cathedral.” What are the advantages and disadvantages of this style? How does the narrative point of view relate to the story and its themes? How does this narrative point of view affect you as a reader?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)