|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Raymond Carver earn his Bachelor of Arts degree?
(a) Oregon State University
(b) Humboldt State College
(c) Evergreen State University
(d) University of Nevada, Reno
2. When was Raymond Carver born?
3. What are the supports called on a cathedral that are built to steady a structure by opposing its outward thrusts?
4. What novelist was Raymond Carver’s mentor and teacher?
(a) Henry David Thoreau
(b) Horace Greeley
(c) John Gardner
(d) Margaret Fuller
5. Why does the narrator’s wife say she shouldn’t be smoking this when she is passed the joint in the story?
(a) It makes me too talkative
(b) It is the devil’s weed
(c) I can barely keep my eyes open as it is
(d) I could get drug tested
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and his wife offer the blind man as they smoke marijuana in the story?
2. How does the narrator feel about the blind man’s visit in the beginning of the story?
3. For what literary genre is author Raymond Carver most well known?
4. The narrator describes the man narrating the television show about the Church as being from where?
5. What does the narrator say that he, his wife, and the blind man did after scarfing down their dinner in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the characters in “Cathedral” representative of Raymond Carver’s style?
2. When and where was “Cathedral” first published? What awards was it nominated for?
3. What is signified by the narrator’s final lines in the story?
4. Where in the story does the protagonist undergo an “epiphany”?
5. What is symbolized through the television set in the story?
6. How does the narrator describe Robert’s arrival in the story?
7. How does the author describe his wife’s poetry in “Cathedral”?
8. How is the beginning of the television show about the church described?
9. What are the narrator’s perceptions of Robert’s marriage as his wife describes it in the beginning of the story?
10. Why does the narrator say the blind man is coming to visit in the beginning of the story?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)