|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator’s wife look at him when he turns on the television during the talk with the blind man after dinner?
(a) With admiration
(b) With irritation
2. When was Raymond Carver born?
3. On the television show about the Church, the narrator describes a famous cathedral shown in what city?
4. What drink does the blind man ask for when the narrator offers him one after his arrival?
5. At what point in the story does the protagonist reach his major epiphany?
(a) When he closes his eyes
(b) After dinner
(c) When his wife arrives home
(d) When he turns on the TV
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the windows he draws on the cathedral in the story?
2. What does the narrator say that he, his wife, and the blind man did after scarfing down their dinner in the story?
3. Where was Raymond Carver born?
4. What artistic forms are addressed in “Cathedral”?
5. What kind of meat does the narrator’s wife serve for dinner in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the blind man’s visit in the beginning of the story? What are his impressions of “the blind”?
2. How does the narrator describe Robert’s eyes in the story?
3. How is the theme of creativity illustrated through the protagonist in the beginning of “Cathedral”?
4. Why does the narrator say the blind man is coming to visit in the beginning of the story?
5. How are the characters in “Cathedral” representative of Raymond Carver’s style?
6. How is the theme of creativity manifested through the protagonist at the end of the story?
7. How does the narrator’s wife suggest the narrator act toward Robert when he visits?
8. Where in “Cathedral” does the climax of the narrative take place?
9. How does the author describe his wife’s poetry in “Cathedral”?
10. What do the narrator and Robert say in their discussion of religion in the story?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)