|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see his wife doing as she parks the car when she returns with the blind man?
(c) Holding his hand
2. What does the blind man remark about the narrator’s television set, saying, “Don’t ask me how, but I can tell”?
(a) That the sound seems rough
(b) That it is an old television set
(c) That it is a small television set
(d) That it is a color television set
3. In what periodical did “Cathedral” first appear?
(a) The Pastel Journal
(b) Harper's Magazine
(c) The Atlantic Monthly
(d) Readers Digest
4. By what familyar nickname does the blind man call the narrator?
5. Where does the narrator go to find a pen and paper when the blind man suggests it at night?
(b) To the nursery
(c) To the basement
(d) To the bathroom
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Raymond Carver’s first published book of poems?
2. What does the blind man ask the narrator about the paintings on the walls of the church in the television show?
3. After showing a cathedral in Portugal, the television show next travels to show a cathedral where?
4. The narrator says that the “was having a drink and” doing what when he “heard the car pull into the drive” with his wife and the blind man?
5. What word from the story refers to a hooded garment worn by monks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the rising action take place in “Cathedral”?
2. What activity does the blind man suggest to the narrator during their discussion about cathedrals?
3. What is signified by the narrator’s choice to keep his eyes closed at the end of the story?
4. How many drinks do the narrator, his wife, and Robert have before dinner? What do they discuss?
5. How did the narrator’s wife come to know the blind man? How is this information revealed in the story?
6. What does the narrator discuss with Robert after his arrival in the story?
7. What does the reader learn about the narrator when he and his wife discuss their friends prior to the blind man’s arrival?
8. What are the narrator’s perceptions of Robert’s marriage as his wife describes it in the beginning of the story?
9. Where in “Cathedral” does the climax of the narrative take place?
10. Why does the narrator pity Beulah in the beginning of the story?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)