|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the blind man’s answer when the narrator’s wife asks if he has a TV?
(a) My dear, I have two TVs
(b) They annoy me
(c) I prefer the radio
(d) I have never seen a TV in my life
2. What kind of pie does the narrator’s wife serve at dinner?
(a) Apple pie
(b) Banana cream pie
(c) Strawberry pie
(d) Peach pie
3. What does the blind man ask the narrator about the paintings on the walls of the church in the television show?
(a) If they are oil paintings
(b) If they are modernist
(c) If they are cubist
(d) If they are fresco
4. What does the narrator’s wife say when she awakens as the narrator is drawing a cathedral?
(a) What time is it? Why are you still awake?
(b) I’ve got to call my mother
(c) What are you doing? Tell me, I want to know
(d) Where are the children?
5. What does the blind man instruct the narrator to do after he’s almost completed the drawing of the cathedral?
(a) To close his mouth
(b) To close his eyes
(c) To open his mind
(d) To say a prayer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the blind man take from the backseat of the car when he and the narrator’s wife arrive at the narrator’s home?
2. The narrator says, “I remembered having read somewhere that the blind didn’t smoke because, as speculation had it, they couldn’t” what?
3. In what city did the blind man’s wife die?
4. What are the central motifs in “Cathedral”?
5. The narrator tells the blind man, “In those olden days, when they built cathedrals, men wanted to be” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the narrator and Robert say in their discussion of religion in the story?
2. How are the characters in “Cathedral” representative of Raymond Carver’s style?
3. How does the narrator attempt to describe a cathedral to Robert?
4. What happened to the narrator’s wife during the years that she did not see the blind man? How did she maintain contact with Robert?
5. What conversation does the narrator have with Robert regarding alcohol after Robert’s arrival?
6. What is symbolized through the television set in the story?
7. What is signified by the narrator’s choice to keep his eyes closed at the end of the story?
8. What does the reader learn about the narrator when he and his wife discuss their friends prior to the blind man’s arrival?
9. From what narrative perspective is the story told? How does this narrative style affect the reader?
10. Where does the rising action take place in “Cathedral”?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)