|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator’s wife fall asleep after they’ve smoked marijuana?
(a) In the bathtub
(b) On the floor
(c) On the couch
(d) In the chair
2. What does the blind man ask the narrator about the paintings on the walls of the church in the television show?
(a) If they are modernist
(b) If they are oil paintings
(c) If they are fresco
(d) If they are cubist
3. The blind man tells the narrator when he arrives that he hadn’t been on a train in almost how long?
(a) 40 years
(b) 30 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 10 years
4. What did the narrator’s wife wash down all the pills from the medicine cabinet with while she was at Travis A.F.B.?
(a) A shot of whiskey
(b) A bottle of gin
(c) A glass of orange juice
(d) A carton of milk
5. The blind man tells the narrator as he continues his drawing of the cathedral, “You got it, bub. I can tell. You didn’t think you could. But you can, can’t you? You’re cooking with” what?
(b) Gas now
(c) Dry tinder
6. The blind man asks the narrator’s wife if he looks what, when he meets her husband?
7. The narrator says of the blind man’s employment that most recently he and his wife had had what kind of distributorship?
8. For how many years were the blind man and his wife married before her health went rapidly in decline?
9. What do the narrator and his wife offer the blind man as they smoke marijuana in the story?
(a) More pie
(b) A cup of coffee
(c) A blanket
(d) A pillow
10. What slang term does the blind man use at the end of the story to mean “to lie”?
11. What word from the story refers to a tall, acutely pointed pyramidal roof or roof-like construction upon a tower?
12. What does the narrator say causes him problems sleeping?
(a) His wife’s snoring
(b) A sore throat
(d) A bad smell
13. Where does the blind man put his hand as the narrator begins to draw in the story?
(a) On the paper
(b) On the narrator’s face
(c) At the edge of the table
(d) Over the narrator’s hand
14. Where is McGuire A.F.B. located?
(b) New Jersey
15. What are the first words that the blind man says to the narrator when he arrives?
(a) So you’re the husband
(b) I believe we have a lot in common
(c) I feel like we’ve already met
(d) I can’t wait to get to know you
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Raymond Carver earn his Bachelor of Arts degree?
2. How did the narrator’s wife’s first marriage end?
3. By what familyar nickname does the blind man call the narrator?
4. Who is the protagonist of “Cathedral”?
5. What kind of meat does the narrator’s wife serve for dinner in the story?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)