|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator sit when he returns to the living room with a pen and paper?
(a) On the sofa
(b) In a chair
(c) On the floor
(d) On the table
2. How long ago does the narrator say his wife offered to let him listen to a tape from the blind man in the beginning of the story?
(a) 3 years ago
(b) 2 months ago
(c) 6 months ago
(d) 1 year ago
3. Of his knowledge of cathedrals, the blind man says that he knows from the television show that they took how many workers to build?
(a) Thirty to forty
(c) Ten to twenty
4. What is the first thing the narrator says he draws in his attempt to recreate a cathedral for the blind man?
(a) A rickety old shack
(b) A tent of some kind
(c) A box that looked like a house
(d) A barn-like structure
5. What tool does the narrator note the blind man does not use after his arrival?
(b) A wheelchair
(c) A cane
(d) A backhoe
6. What does the blind man instruct the narrator to do after he’s almost completed the drawing of the cathedral?
(a) To close his mouth
(b) To open his mind
(c) To say a prayer
(d) To close his eyes
7. As the narrator continues his drawing of the cathedral, he comments near the end of the story, “His fingers rode my fingers as my hand went over the paper. It was like” what?
(a) Nothing else in my life up to now
(b) Crossing into another world
(c) Surfing on the waves of blindness
(d) Looking through the rainbow
8. What is the narrator’s response when his wife asks as she comes downstairs, “What do I smell?”
(a) I needed a cigarette
(b) We thought we’d have us some cannabis
(c) I don’t smell anything
(d) Just incense my dear
9. Regarding the view from the train, the narrator says, “going to New York, you should sit” where on the train?
(a) In the front
(b) On the right side
(c) In the back
(d) On the left side
10. What does the blind man ask the narrator after giving prefacing it with, “Hey, listen. I hope you don’t mind my asking you. Can I ask you something? Let me ask you a simple question, yes or no”?
(a) He asks if the narrator is a sports fan
(b) He asks if the narrator is religious
(c) He asks if the narrator is true to his wife
(d) He asks if the narrator is a dog lover
11. Where does the blind man live?
(d) San Diego
12. What is the blind man’s answer when the narrator’s wife asks if he has a TV?
(a) I have never seen a TV in my life
(b) My dear, I have two TVs
(c) I prefer the radio
(d) They annoy me
13. The narrator says that after the death of the blind man’s wife, he was left with half of what kind of coin?
(a) A twenty-peso Mexican coin
(b) A fifty-dinar Algerian coin
(c) A fifty-rupee Indian coin
(d) A ten-dollar New Zealand coin
14. Where does the narrator go to find a pen and paper when the blind man suggests it at night?
(a) To the nursery
(c) To the basement
(d) To the bathroom
15. What does the narrator do when the blind man says after the drawing is complete, “Take a look. What do you think?”
(a) He calls for his wife
(b) He begins to weep
(c) He looks at the drawing
(d) He keeps his eyes closed
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the blind man’s response when the narrator asks “if he wanted to smoke some dope with me”?
2. What does the narrator suggest to his wife he could do when the blind man comes to visit, causing her exasperation?
3. Why does the narrator’s wife say she shouldn’t be smoking this when she is passed the joint in the story?
4. Where does the narrator spread out the pen and paper when he returns with it in the story?
5. Where did the narrator’s wife fall asleep after overdosing on pills while at Travis A.F.B.?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)