|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the blind man asks the narrator to describe a cathedral to him, what is the first thing the narrator says?
(a) The first things you notice are the intricate details
(b) They have a very broad foundation
(c) To begin with, they’re very tall
(d) You can’t look at one without seeing the arches
2. From what narrative perspective is the story of “Cathedral” relayed?
(a) Second-person omniscient point of view
(b) First-person limited point of view
(c) Third-person limited point of view
(d) Third-person omniscient point of view
3. What is the name of Raymond Carver’s first published book of poems?
(a) Along the beach
(b) Near Klamath
(c) Among the Redwoods
(d) Surrounding Mountains
4. When the narrator changes the television channel, he says there is something about the Church and what era on?
(a) The Middle Ages
(b) The Stone Age
(c) The Computer Age
(d) The Industrial Revolution
5. In what year was “Cathedral” chosen to appear in The Best American Short Stories?
6. Where does the blind man live?
(d) San Diego
7. In what periodical did “Cathedral” first appear?
(a) The Atlantic Monthly
(b) Harper's Magazine
(c) The Pastel Journal
(d) Readers Digest
8. Where does the narrator tell the blind man the show about cathedrals has traveled to, where there are “paintings on the walls of this one church”?
9. How does the narrator instruct the blind man to smoke the marijuana in the story?
(a) Don’t punish yourself
(b) Don’t take too much
(c) Inhale slowly
(d) Hold it as long as you can
10. The narrator says that the “was having a drink and” doing what when he “heard the car pull into the drive” with his wife and the blind man?
(a) Watching TV
(b) Reading the paper
(c) Listening to the radio
(d) Doing a crossword puzzle
11. What kind of meat does the narrator’s wife serve for dinner in the story?
(a) Lamb chops
(b) Baked salmon
(c) Cube steak
(d) Pork roast
12. What does the narrator say that he, his wife, and the blind man did after scarfing down their dinner in the story?
(a) For a few moments, we sat as if stunned
(b) After that we could not even look at the pie
(c) We wondered if each of us could keep it all down
(d) We all wondered if anyone would take another serving
13. The narrator says of the “officer-to-be” that he’d been his wife’s what?
(a) Familial enemy
(b) Childhood sweetheart
(c) School rival
14. What is another word for “arc-boutant” used in the story?
(b) Flying buttress
15. What vegetable does the narrator’s wife throw when she has an argument with the narrator in the beginning of the story?
(a) A cucumber
(b) A pepper
(c) A potato
(d) A carrot
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and his wife drink when they sit down to talk with the blind man after he’s arrived?
2. What did the narrator’s wife wash down all the pills from the medicine cabinet with while she was at Travis A.F.B.?
3. How does the narrator describe the physicality of the blind man after his arrival?
4. The narrator’s wife commented to the blind man through their first correspondence that she loved her husband but she didn’t love what?
5. How does the narrator say he felt about their old sofa (that they replaced) when the blind man arrives?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)