|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the blind man’s visit in the beginning of the story?
2. What do the narrator and his wife drink when they sit down to talk with the blind man after he’s arrived?
3. Where did the narrator’s wife fall asleep after overdosing on pills while at Travis A.F.B.?
(a) In the bathtub
(b) In the garage
(c) On the patio
(d) In the basement
4. What is the blind man’s name in the story?
5. What does the blind man remark about the narrator’s television set, saying, “Don’t ask me how, but I can tell”?
(a) That it is a color television set
(b) That the sound seems rough
(c) That it is a small television set
(d) That it is an old television set
6. According to the narrator, the train ride from the blind man’s in-laws’ home to the narrator’s home takes how long?
(a) 5 hours
(b) 9 hours
(c) 12 hours
(d) 2 hours
7. The narrator surmises of the blind man’s wife that she could wear what in her nostril and it wouldn’t make a difference?
(a) An earring
(b) A straight pin
(c) A pencil
(d) A handkerchief
8. According to the narrator, his wife had helped the blind man organize his little office where when she worked for him?
(a) The Internal Revenue Service
(b) The county social service department
(c) A grocery store
(d) A large bank
9. The narrator says that his wife first contacted the blind man after how much time had passed since she’d worked for him?
(a) 8 months
(b) 3 years
(c) 1 year
(d) 5 years
10. What artistic forms are addressed in “Cathedral”?
(a) Poetry and drawing
(b) Novel writing and music
(c) Drama and music
(d) Sculpture and dance
11. Where does the narrator spread out the pen and paper when he returns with it in the story?
(a) On the floor
(b) On the sofa
(c) On the coffee table
(d) On the kitchen counter
12. The narrator says in the beginning of the story, “My idea of blindness came from” what?
(a) Church sermons
(b) Word of mouth
(c) The movies
13. What does the blind man do as the narrator attempts to explain cathedrals to him?
(a) He runs his fingers through his beard
(b) He snaps his fingers rhythmically
(c) He taps on the table repeatedly
(d) He hums a tune softly
14. What does the narrator’s wife say she is going to do upstairs as she exits, leaving the narrator and the blind man alone after dinner?
(a) Call a friend on the telephone
(b) Take a bath
(c) Read a book
(d) Change into her robe
15. The narrator finds a pen for the blind man where in his house?
(a) In a basket on his wife’s table
(b) In his desk drawer
(c) In the garage
(d) On the kitchen counter
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator’s wife say she shouldn’t be smoking this when she is passed the joint in the story?
2. The narrator notes in the story that “A wink is the same thing as” what “to a blind man”?
3. What were the literary formats that Raymond Carver’s career was dedicated to?
4. According to the narrator’s wife, how many people were in attendance at the blind man’s wedding?
5. What novelist was Raymond Carver’s mentor and teacher?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)