|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing her name, the narrator asks his wife what question?
(a) Was his wife Canadian?
(b) Was his wife a Negro?
(c) Was his wife a Yankee?
(d) Was his wife southern?
2. How does the narrator say he felt about their old sofa (that they replaced) when the blind man arrives?
(a) I found it so uncomfortable
(b) I’d liked that old sofa
(c) I hated that crummy sofa
(d) I still remember the day I bought it
3. From what narrative perspective is the story of “Cathedral” relayed?
(a) First-person limited point of view
(b) Second-person omniscient point of view
(c) Third-person omniscient point of view
(d) Third-person limited point of view
4. The narrator’s wife commented to the blind man through their first correspondence that she loved her husband but she didn’t love what?
(a) Their children
(b) His sister
(c) His mother
(d) Where they lived
5. What were the literary formats that Raymond Carver’s career was dedicated to?
(a) Essays and memoirs
(b) Nonfiction histories and short stories
(c) Short stories and poetry
(d) Novels and biographies
6. The narrator says that his wife first contacted the blind man after how much time had passed since she’d worked for him?
(a) 8 months
(b) 5 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 1 year
7. Where does the narrator tell the blind man the show about cathedrals has traveled to, where there are “paintings on the walls of this one church”?
8. The narrator asks the blind man while they watch TV if he knows the difference between a cathedral and what?
(a) A Catholic church
(b) A Baptist church
(c) A Jewish synagogue
(d) An Islamic mosque
9. In what year was “Cathedral” first published in a periodical?
10. The narrator says that after the death of the blind man’s wife, he was left with half of what kind of coin?
(a) A fifty-dinar Algerian coin
(b) A fifty-rupee Indian coin
(c) A ten-dollar New Zealand coin
(d) A twenty-peso Mexican coin
11. When the television show about the Church pans across the countryside, the narrator describes men walking behind what?
12. What tool does the narrator note the blind man does not use after his arrival?
(b) A backhoe
(c) A cane
(d) A wheelchair
13. What does the blind man ask the narrator after giving prefacing it with, “Hey, listen. I hope you don’t mind my asking you. Can I ask you something? Let me ask you a simple question, yes or no”?
(a) He asks if the narrator is true to his wife
(b) He asks if the narrator is a sports fan
(c) He asks if the narrator is a dog lover
(d) He asks if the narrator is religious
14. When was Raymond Carver’s short story collection Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? Published?
15. In what year was the anthology entitled Cathedral published?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the narrator’s wife’s robe and slippers?
2. Of the religious pageant on the television show, the narrator says it takes place yearly where?
3. How did the narrator’s wife’s first marriage end?
4. In what city did the blind man’s wife die?
5. Where was Raymond Carver born?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)