|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator describe to the blind man as the things that are tormenting the monks on the television show?
2. According to the narrator, his wife had helped the blind man organize his little office where when she worked for him?
(a) A large bank
(b) A grocery store
(c) The Internal Revenue Service
(d) The county social service department
3. Where is Moody A.F.B. located?
(d) New Jersey
4. Where is McConnell A.F.B. located?
(a) New Jersey
5. The narrator says that his wife first contacted the blind man after how much time had passed since she’d worked for him?
(a) 8 months
(b) 3 years
(c) 5 years
(d) 1 year
6. What did the narrator’s wife’s first husband do when he found her after her overdose?
(a) He called an ambulance
(b) He said a prayer
(c) He kicked the door
(d) He started to cry
7. Where is McGuire A.F.B. located?
(a) New Jersey
8. The blind man discusses his ham radio operator friends in “Guam, in the Philippines, in Alaska, and even” where?
9. Where does the blind man put his hand as the narrator begins to draw in the story?
(a) At the edge of the table
(b) Over the narrator’s hand
(c) On the paper
(d) On the narrator’s face
10. Of his knowledge of cathedrals, the blind man says that he knows from the television show that they took how many workers to build?
(c) Thirty to forty
(d) Ten to twenty
11. The narrator says of the blind man that he’d done “a little bit of everything, it seemed, a regular” what?
(a) Blind jack-of-all-trades
(b) Disabled explorer
(c) Barry Fitzgerald
(d) John Muir
12. In what periodical did “Cathedral” first appear?
(a) The Pastel Journal
(b) Readers Digest
(c) Harper's Magazine
(d) The Atlantic Monthly
13. The narrator says in the beginning of the story that the last time his wife saw the blind man was when she worked for him in what city?
14. How long ago does the narrator say his wife offered to let him listen to a tape from the blind man in the beginning of the story?
(a) 6 months ago
(b) 3 years ago
(c) 1 year ago
(d) 2 months ago
15. How many joints does the narrator roll for him and the blind man while his wife is upstairs?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many short stories are included in the anthology Cathedral?
2. The narrator asks the blind man while they watch TV if he knows the difference between a cathedral and what?
3. How does the narrator describe the windows he draws on the cathedral in the story?
4. What kind of meat does the narrator’s wife serve for dinner in the story?
5. The blind man tells the narrator when he arrives that he hadn’t been on a train in almost how long?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)