|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Raymond Carver earn his Bachelor of Arts degree?
(a) Evergreen State University
(b) University of Nevada, Reno
(c) Oregon State University
(d) Humboldt State College
2. What does the blind man ask the narrator after giving prefacing it with, “Hey, listen. I hope you don’t mind my asking you. Can I ask you something? Let me ask you a simple question, yes or no”?
(a) He asks if the narrator is a sports fan
(b) He asks if the narrator is religious
(c) He asks if the narrator is true to his wife
(d) He asks if the narrator is a dog lover
3. What color are the narrator’s wife’s robe and slippers?
4. What happens to the television show as the narrator works on his drawing of a cathedral in the story?
(a) It transitions to the desert
(b) It gets louder
(c) It goes off the air
(d) It plays on mute
5. What color is all of the blind man’s attire when he arrives?
6. What does the narrator say that he, his wife, and the blind man did after scarfing down their dinner in the story?
(a) We all wondered if anyone would take another serving
(b) We wondered if each of us could keep it all down
(c) For a few moments, we sat as if stunned
(d) After that we could not even look at the pie
7. The narrator says in the beginning of the story, “My idea of blindness came from” what?
(a) The movies
(b) Church sermons
(c) Word of mouth
8. What does the narrator say about his and his wife’s sleeping patterns in the story?
(a) She is always the first to bed
(b) My wife and I hardly ever went to bed at the same time
(c) I am always the first to bed
(d) We always go to bed at the same time
9. What does the protagonist in “Cathedral” gain by the end of the story?
(a) Money and security
(b) Political favor
(c) Anger and resentment
(d) Empathy and understanding
10. The blind man tells the narrator when he arrives that he hadn’t been on a train in almost how long?
(a) 30 years
(b) 40 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 20 years
11. What Irish actor does the blind man quote in saying “When I drink water, I drink water. When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey”?
(a) Peter O’Toole
(b) Stuart Townsend
(c) Barry Fitzgerald
(d) Brendan Gleeson
12. What does the blind man say “never ends” in the story?
13. What are the supports called on a cathedral that are built to steady a structure by opposing its outward thrusts?
14. What did the narrator’s wife’s first husband do when he found her after her overdose?
(a) He said a prayer
(b) He started to cry
(c) He called an ambulance
(d) He kicked the door
15. What were the literary formats that Raymond Carver’s career was dedicated to?
(a) Nonfiction histories and short stories
(b) Short stories and poetry
(c) Novels and biographies
(d) Essays and memoirs
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the blind man staying with the narrator and his wife in the story?
2. What beverage does the blind man drink with his dinner in the story?
3. Who is the protagonist of “Cathedral”?
4. On the television show about the Church, the narrator describes a famous cathedral shown in what city?
5. The blind man asks the narrator’s wife if he looks what, when he meets her husband?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)