• “Cathedral” is a 1983 short story by Raymond Carver included in an anthology with the same title.
• "Cathedral" opens with the narrator telling the reader in a conversational tone that a blind friend of his wife's is coming to visit them; the narrator is clearly unhappy about the upcoming visit.
• The narrator flashes back to the story of how his wife met the blind man when she worked for
him as a reader.
• In the flashback, the wife is engaged to marry an officer in the Air Force; when she tells the blind man goodbye, he asks if he can touch her face.
• The touch of the blind man’s fingers on her face is a pivotal moment in her life, something the narrator does not understand.
• Although the wife has maintained contact with the blind man for ten years, this will be the first time she has...
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)