|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew remember most about his final conversation with Chi?
2. What was the last thing Andrew talked about with Chi before her death?
3. From what did the Buddhist monk predict Chi would die?
4. Who was the first to know that Andrew's brother, Huy, was gay?
5. What animal did Andrew inadvertently kill in a cycling accident in Hanoi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Andrew's siblings were gay, and how did his family react to this?
2. What happened when the police stopped Andrew on the cargo train to Hanoi?
3. Why was Andrew's father arrested when he was a teenager?
4. Why did Chi make the decision to move to San Francisco?
5. How did Chi's life change during her fourteen years on the streets?
6. How did the Nguyen family say goodbye to Andrew when it was time for him to return to America?
7. What argument broke out at the Pham family's memorial to their Grandfather?
8. What regrets did Andrew's father carry with him throughout his adult life?
9. How did Calvin feel about the prospect of moving to America?
10. Whose mummified remains are kept in the mausoleum in Hanoi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Andrew and his family moved to America, Andrew's life was suddenly overwhelmed with two characteristics: religion and violence. First, describe how these two elements were introduced into Andrew's life upon moving to America. Then, explain what symbolism can be found in these two elements when considering the stereotypes of American life to foreigners. If Andrew were to move to America today, do you think his experiences would be the same? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The ghosts of the Vietnam War are still very present in the country when Andrew visits to make his journey. Describe the differing viewpoints about the War Andrew encounters during his trip. Be sure to include at least two contrasting views of the effects of the War and at least two different conversations (with different people) Andrew has throughout his journey.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most traumatic memories for the Pham family during their time in Vietnam was the time when Andrew's father was imprisoned in a work camp. First, describe the circumstances surrounding Andrew's father's arrest, imprisonment, and eventual release. How did his imprisonment affect his family? Then, describe Andrew's visit as an adult to the labor camp where his father was imprisoned. What did Andrew learn about his history - both personal and cultural - through this journey? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)