|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a rumor that spread rampantly about Ho Chi Minh after his death?
2. What was Andrew most looking forward to at his grandpa's memorial?
3. Which of the following was NOT a language the laughing old woman in the sea used in an attempt to communicate with Andrew?
4. Why didn't Cuong/Calvin want to move to America?
5. How did Andrew feel about visiting the tourist area of Hanoi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship did Trieu have with her birth father, the colonel?
2. When was Andrew first introduced to adult sexuality?
3. What trouble did Andrew get into in Vietnam for drinking Coca-Cola?
4. What happened when the police stopped Andrew on the cargo train to Hanoi?
5. What memories does Andrew have about the way his family made money in Vietnam?
6. What argument broke out at the Pham family's memorial to their Grandfather?
7. What aspect of her life brought Chi the greatest amount of stress and sadness?
8. Whose mummified remains are kept in the mausoleum in Hanoi?
9. What interaction did Andrew have with the one-legged cyclist in Ky An?
10. What is a gape fish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his childhood, Andrew had various experiences with American soldiers during the Vietnam War. First, choose two significant experiences Andrew had with American soldiers and describe them here. Then, describe how Andrew's experiences with American soldiers during the war helped to shape his view of America before he moved there? What expectations did Andrew have of America before moving there? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the memoir, Andrew utilized almost every different mode of travel available. First, create a list of transportation methods Andrew used during his journey. Then, choose two modes of transportation and compare / contrast the experience of these travels, particularly when considering Andrew's historic quest for answers. In your opinion, what mode of transportation was most beneficial for Andrew, given his unique travel desires? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew's journey to Vietnam represents a strong emotional journey for him as an individual. First, describe why Andrew chose to make this journey in the first place. What was he hoping to accomplish during this trip? At the end of the memoir, do you think his journey was a success? Why or why not? In what ways did this journey change his life back in the States? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)