|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country's ship saved the escapees when their ship began to fall apart?
2. What denomination church sponsored the Pham family's immigration to America?
3. To what city did Andrew's mother's friend try to convince the family to run away?
4. How much was Andrew charged in Vietnam to repair his bicycle to top running order?
5. To what country did the escape ship's crew want to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Andrew's reaction to seeing his grandmother's old house in Phan Tiet, his childhood home?
2. What major events did Andrew struggle through once he reached Japan?
3. What event frightened Andrew at the diner in Ham Tan?
4. What was significant about Andrew's memory involving ice cream?
5. Who was the first of the Phen children to die?
6. Who was Wong?
7. What memory is explored in the chapter named "Fallen Leaves"?
8. What happened to Andrew when the Indonesian freighter intercepted the fishing boat?
9. What discussion did Andrew's mother, Anh, have with a friend over tea before the fall of Saigon?
10. What uncomfortable event transpired between Andrew and Viet at Turtle Fountain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most traumatic memories for the Pham family during their time in Vietnam was the time when Andrew's father was imprisoned in a work camp. First, describe the circumstances surrounding Andrew's father's arrest, imprisonment, and eventual release. How did his imprisonment affect his family? Then, describe Andrew's visit as an adult to the labor camp where his father was imprisoned. What did Andrew learn about his history - both personal and cultural - through this journey? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The ghosts of the Vietnam War are still very present in the country when Andrew visits to make his journey. Describe the differing viewpoints about the War Andrew encounters during his trip. Be sure to include at least two contrasting views of the effects of the War and at least two different conversations (with different people) Andrew has throughout his journey.
Essay Topic 3
Although he did his best to support his family, Andrew's father was riddled with guilt and regrets as he aged. First, choose two behaviors / events / emotions that Andrew's father regrets and describe them here. Then, using the previous examples, explain how one person's regret can affect and shape and entire family. How was this the case within the Pham family? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)