|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a country many people in Vietnam believed Andrew to be from?
2. In what state did Ronnie live?
3. How long did Andrew's family live in an Indonesian refugee camp before moving to America?
4. How old was Andrew the first time he visited Vietnam?
5. Which country did the escape boat pretend to be from as they were escaping Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andrew remember most acutely about his Grandfather Pham?
2. What expectations did Andrew's family have of him when he arrived in Saigon?
3. What memories did Andrew recount when he took a cup of tea to the roof of the Nguyen's house?
4. Who was Ronnie?
5. What uncomfortable event transpired between Andrew and Viet at Turtle Fountain?
6. What was Andrew's reaction to seeing his grandmother's old house in Phan Tiet, his childhood home?
7. What was significant about Andrew's memory involving ice cream?
8. What major events did Andrew struggle through once he reached Japan?
9. What was Andrew's first impression of Mihn Luong Prison when he arrived?
10. When did Andrew's mother want Andrew to leave for his trip to Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The time Andrew's family spent in the Indonesian refugee camp clearly had an impact on Andrew's upbringing. First, describe the setting of the refugee camp and the conditions in which Andrew and his family were forced to live. Then, choose one dramatic moment from refugee camp life that greatly impacted Andrew as a child. As a reader, how can you see this event affecting Andrew through adulthood? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the memoir, Andrew utilized almost every different mode of travel available. First, create a list of transportation methods Andrew used during his journey. Then, choose two modes of transportation and compare / contrast the experience of these travels, particularly when considering Andrew's historic quest for answers. In your opinion, what mode of transportation was most beneficial for Andrew, given his unique travel desires? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main reasons Andrew decided to make his bicycle trek through Vietnam was to escape his life in America. First, describe Andrew's professional and private life in America at the time when he set out for his journey. What did Andrew hope to gain from his travel experiences? In your opinion, was Andrew's travel through Vietnam a success? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)