|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ethnicity was Tyle, the man Andrew met in the desert?
2. How many children did Tyle have?
3. To what drug was Andrew's Grandfather Pham addicted?
4. What type of boat did Andrew's family use to escape Vietnam?
5. How did Chi die?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom did Andrew spend his time while he was staying in Vung Tao?
2. What memory is explored in the chapter named "Fallen Leaves"?
3. What event frightened Andrew at the diner in Ham Tan?
4. After returning to California from Mexico, where did Andrew live?
5. What did Viet do for a living?
6. What does Andrew remember most acutely about his Grandfather Pham?
7. What horrific experiences did Andrew's father live through while imprisoned in the torture camp?
8. What happened when Tyle joined Andrew at his nighttime campfire in Mexico?
9. What was significant about Andrew's memory involving ice cream?
10. Who was the first of the Phen children to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of Andrew's siblings live/d lives that involve some level of sexual deviance. What events from their upbringing do you think psychologically prompted these behaviors. Had the Pham children grown up in a more stable household, do you think the children's lives would be different as adults? If so, how? If not, why? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Andrew's mother, and many other people in the memoir, relies on religious faith and superstition to orient herself in the world. First, describe Andrew's family's religious beliefs and choose two times in the memoir when they relied on their faith to get them through tough times. Then, describe how Andrew feels about religion and how his religious views compare / contrast to those of his family, particularly his mother. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Andrew utilized almost every different mode of travel available. First, create a list of transportation methods Andrew used during his journey. Then, choose two modes of transportation and compare / contrast the experience of these travels, particularly when considering Andrew's historic quest for answers. In your opinion, what mode of transportation was most beneficial for Andrew, given his unique travel desires? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)