|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Andrew is bullied by three drunk motorcyclists in Hanoi, what does he offer them to calm them down?
(b) American dollar bills.
2. What was Andrew most looking forward to at his grandpa's memorial?
(a) Seeing his family.
(b) The food.
(c) Having a few days off school.
(d) The religious ceremonies.
3. Which of the Pham children most despised family trips?
4. Who did Andrew think about most during the final scene in the sea?
(c) His father.
5. What did the Nguyen family want to give Andrew as his leaving present before returning to America?
(a) Vietnamese language lessons.
(b) A traditional Vietnamese meal.
(c) A Vietnamese flag.
(d) A visit with a Vietnamese prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the children in Hanoi throw rocks at Andrew?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that happened to Andrew after leaving Hanoi?
3. Why didn't Cuong/Calvin want to move to America?
4. Who was Andrew pretending to hide from underneath the dining room table?
5. In California, why was Andrew's father arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument broke out at the Pham family's memorial to their Grandfather?
2. What is a gape fish?
3. What two images does Andrew encounter that he believes are perfect symbols for the people of Japan?
4. What opinion did the American Vietnam War vet, whom Andrew met in a coffee shop, have about the War?
5. What did Andrew and Chi talk about during their last conversation, before Chi killed herself?
6. Why did Chi make the decision to move to San Francisco?
7. What happened when the police stopped Andrew on the cargo train to Hanoi?
8. What memories does Andrew have about the way his family made money in Vietnam?
9. How did the Nguyen family say goodbye to Andrew when it was time for him to return to America?
10. Why was Andrew's father arrested when he was a teenager?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)