|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Grandpa Pham's memorial, what criticism did Andrew's father have of his own sister?
(a) He despised that she took welfare from the government.
(b) He thought she was gaining too much weight.
(c) He noticed that she was picking up an "American" accent.
(d) He didn't like the way she was too lenient with her children.
2. Why didn't Andrew have his original travel documents with him when the police questioned him on the boxcar?
(a) Because he was worried they would be stolen.
(b) Because he didn't know he needed them while he traveled.
(c) Because he forgot them at the Nguyen household.
(d) Because they were stolen by a vagabond on the train.
3. What does Andrew remember most about his final conversation with Chi?
(a) Her body language.
(b) Her smile.
(c) Her laughter.
(d) Her voice.
4. Why did the children in Hanoi throw rocks at Andrew?
(a) Because they saw him kill the animal.
(b) Because they were throwing rocks at everyone.
(c) Because they heard his American accent.
(d) Because they thought he was Russian.
5. What unconventional gift had Andrew's father given to Huy and Hien?
(a) Trips to prostitutes.
(b) Stock investments.
(c) Personalized handguns.
(d) Bags of marijuana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Andrew's father tape the newspaper article that he saved for over a decade?
2. What did the Nguyen family want to give Andrew as his leaving present before returning to America?
3. How old was Trieu when she finally met her birth father?
4. Which city in Vietnam was Andrew's mother's favorite city?
5. Who was the first to know that Andrew's brother, Huy, was gay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Chi make the decision to move to San Francisco?
2. How did Calvin feel about the prospect of moving to America?
3. What is a gape fish?
4. What regrets did Andrew's father carry with him throughout his adult life?
5. What happened when the police stopped Andrew on the cargo train to Hanoi?
6. How did Chi's life change during her fourteen years on the streets?
7. Which of Andrew's siblings were gay, and how did his family react to this?
8. Why was Andrew's father arrested when he was a teenager?
9. What aspect of her life brought Chi the greatest amount of stress and sadness?
10. When was Andrew first introduced to adult sexuality?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)