|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a language the laughing old woman in the sea used in an attempt to communicate with Andrew?
2. What job was Andrew's mother working when she was locked inside a chain-link cage?
(a) She was a dominatrix.
(b) She was an actress.
(c) She was a madam.
(d) She was a zookeeper.
3. What was the newspaper article Andrew's father saved for over a decade about?
(a) Financial investments.
(b) Family relationships.
(c) The beauty of Vietnam.
(d) The American Dream.
4. Which of the Pham children most despised family trips?
5. What unconventional gift had Andrew's father given to Huy and Hien?
(a) Stock investments.
(b) Bags of marijuana.
(c) Trips to prostitutes.
(d) Personalized handguns.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what did the Buddhist monk predict Chi would die?
2. How long was Andrew sent to jail for his crime aboard the boxcar?
3. Growing up, what did Chi want more than anything?
4. Which of the following is a rumor that spread rampantly about Ho Chi Minh after his death?
5. Which of the following is NOT something that happened to Andrew after leaving Hanoi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Calvin feel about the prospect of moving to America?
2. What two images does Andrew encounter that he believes are perfect symbols for the people of Japan?
3. What type of relationship did Trieu have with her birth father, the colonel?
4. What opinion did the American Vietnam War vet, whom Andrew met in a coffee shop, have about the War?
5. How did Chi's life change during her fourteen years on the streets?
6. Why wasn't Andrew allowed to board the commuter train from Muong Man?
7. What happened when the police stopped Andrew on the cargo train to Hanoi?
8. What trouble did Andrew get into in Vietnam for drinking Coca-Cola?
9. What interaction did Andrew have with the one-legged cyclist in Ky An?
10. Why did Andrew have trouble finding a place to stay in Hanoi?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)