|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a country many people in Vietnam believed Andrew to be from?
2. What did Wong, the man Andrew befriended at the Indonesian refugee camp, do for a living?
(a) He was a jade cutter.
(b) He was a candlestick maker.
(c) He was an elementary school teacher.
(d) He was a pig butcher.
3. What did Andrew's friends think about his decision to move back in with his parents?
(a) They all mocked him for being a baby.
(b) They were split - half understood and half thought it foolish.
(c) They all thought it was a huge mistake.
(d) They all understood completely.
4. What tragedy struck Andrew's parents when they were first married?
(a) Ahn fell very ill with scarlet fever and went blind.
(b) A typhoon swept through their village destroying their home.
(c) Their firstborn son was killed by a stray bullet.
(d) Their infant daughter died.
5. What did the "toughs" who boarded Andrew's bus bully the passengers into buying?
(a) Homemade whiskey.
(b) A cure-all potion.
(c) Beaded ponchos.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Andrew the first time he visited Vietnam?
2. How long were the ship's supplies meant to last?
3. What food item did Chi regularly feed the leper girl?
4. How much was Andrew charged in Vietnam to repair his bicycle to top running order?
5. What was the name of the taxi dancer with whom Andrew spent time while visiting Sean's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicts did Andrew face in American school after immigrating from Vietnam?
2. What memory is explored in the chapter named "Fallen Leaves"?
3. What was Andrew's first impression of Mihn Luong Prison when he arrived?
4. What ties did Andrew's family have to Phan Thiet?
5. What personal history did Hung have with America?
6. What was Andrew's reaction to seeing his grandmother's old house in Phan Tiet, his childhood home?
7. What did Viet do for a living?
8. What does Andrew remember most acutely about his Grandfather Pham?
9. What was symbolic about Andrew's determination to ride his motorcycle through Vietnam?
10. What did Andrew do on his first morning in Saigon after being reunited with his family?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)