|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of Andrew's visit to Vietnam, how many years had Hung been without his family?
(a) Two years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Six years.
2. How long had Andrew been cycling through the desert when he met Tyle?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) A year.
(d) A day.
3. Whose short quote opens the memoir?
(a) Max Erdrich.
(b) Mad Max.
(c) Max Lupine.
(d) Max Gardner.
4. To what country was the escape ship scheduled to travel?
5. Who cared for Andrew as a young boy when his parents left town for business?
(a) No one. Andrew was locked in his house for days unattended.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His next door neighbor.
(d) His older brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the intersection Andrew visited in the Red Light District of Vietnam?
2. What type of school did Andrew attend when he was a child?
3. Who foretold Chi's death?
4. What was Andrew's mother's name?
5. Why did Tyle start crying at the bonfire he shared with Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first conversation Andrew had with Tyle?
2. What conflicts did Andrew face in American school after immigrating from Vietnam?
3. What memories did Andrew recount when he took a cup of tea to the roof of the Nguyen's house?
4. What personal history did Hung have with America?
5. What happened when Andrew's uncles took him to their local bar?
6. When did Andrew's mother want Andrew to leave for his trip to Vietnam?
7. What message did the Vietnamese Buddah give to Chi and Andrew about their futures?
8. What ties did Andrew's family have to Phan Thiet?
9. What expectations did Andrew's family have of him when he arrived in Saigon?
10. What discussion did Andrew's mother, Anh, have with a friend over tea before the fall of Saigon?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)