|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Andrew was escaping Vietnam as a child, for what was the young woman he met on the street searching the sky?
2. How long was Andrew's flight back to California from Vietnam?
(a) 20 hours.
(b) 22 hours.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 18 hours.
3. What was the number one topic of conversation at Grandpa Pham's memorial?
4. What was the newspaper article Andrew's father saved for over a decade about?
(a) The beauty of Vietnam.
(b) The American Dream.
(c) Financial investments.
(d) Family relationships.
5. How did Andrew help the woman who had fainted on the road in Hue?
(a) He gave someone money to take her home.
(b) He gave her mouth-to-mouth.
(c) He called the ambulance and paid for her hospital fees.
(d) He did nothing to help her and was later ravaged with guilt.
6. When Andrew is bullied by three drunk motorcyclists in Hanoi, what does he offer them to calm them down?
(c) American dollar bills.
7. How did Huy's family react to the news that Huy was gay?
(a) They were outraged.
(b) They were confused.
(c) They approved.
(d) They ignored it.
8. From Mung Man, how many miles was the trip to Hanoi?
9. What dark secret did Trieu share with Andrew about her father?
(a) He had tried to molest her.
(b) He fathered children all across Vietnam and America, and didn't know how many children he actually had.
(c) He was not really her father but her older brother.
(d) He was convicted of war crimes from the Vietnam War.
10. How did Andrew feel about visiting the tourist area of Hanoi?
(a) He loved it.
(b) He was frightened.
(c) He was apathetic to it.
(d) He was disgusted by it.
11. From what did the Buddhist monk predict Chi would die?
(b) A terrible accident.
(c) A spot on the liver.
(d) A broken heart.
12. In California, why was Andrew's father arrested?
(a) For stealing from a grocery store.
(b) For child abuse.
(c) For manslaughter.
(d) For drunk driving.
13. What did Cuong/Calvin do for a living?
(a) He was a missionary.
(b) He was a dentist.
(c) He was a travel guide.
(d) He was a jade cutter.
14. Where did Andrew's father tape the newspaper article that he saved for over a decade?
(a) On the dashboard of his car.
(b) To the inner lining of his wallet.
(c) On his bedside lampshade.
(d) On the bathroom mirror.
15. What college did Andrew attend?
(a) Stanford University.
(b) University of California, Berkeley.
(c) University of California, Irvine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation had Chi undertaken during her years on the street?
2. To what city did Chi run away after her father's arrest?
3. Which of the Pham children most despised family trips?
4. What relationship did the man on the boxcar claim to have with Andrew to save him from arrest?
5. What was the first holiday Huy spent with his family as a gay man?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)