|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the Pham family live in Louisiana before moving to California?
(a) Six months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Three months.
2. Which of the following is a rumor that spread rampantly about Ho Chi Minh after his death?
(a) That he was gay.
(b) That he had hidden money across Vietnam.
(c) That he was not a native-born Vietnamese.
(d) That he was a socialist.
3. For what infraction did the policeman on the boxcar want to arrest Andrew?
(b) Traveling without his proper documentation.
(c) Public drunkenness.
(d) American war crimes.
4. What did Andrew's father consider to be his greatest regret in life?
(a) The poor treatment of his children.
(b) Leaving Vietnam.
(c) Cheating on his wife.
(d) Not fighting in the war against America.
5. What was the newspaper article Andrew's father saved for over a decade about?
(a) Financial investments.
(b) Family relationships.
(c) The American Dream.
(d) The beauty of Vietnam.
6. How long was Andrew sent to jail for his crime aboard the boxcar?
(a) 12 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) He was not sent to jail.
7. When Andrew remembers urinating in the river with Chi as children, with what emotion is he flooded?
8. How old was Andrew in his memories of playing with a toy gun under the dining room table?
9. What part of Vietnam most symbolizes the Vietnamese "sell out" to Andrew?
(a) The prostitutes.
(b) The tourist stops.
(c) The American memorabilia.
(d) The beggars on the streets.
10. To what city did Chi run away after her father's arrest?
(b) San Pedro.
(c) San Jose.
(d) San Francisco.
11. From Mung Man, how many miles was the trip to Hanoi?
12. How long was Andrew's flight back to California from Vietnam?
(a) 20 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 18 hours.
(d) 22 hours.
13. Which of the following was NOT a language the laughing old woman in the sea used in an attempt to communicate with Andrew?
14. Which city in Vietnam was Andrew's mother's favorite city?
(a) Bun Bo Hue.
(b) Ho Chi Minh.
(c) Nha Trang.
(d) Khamer Reef.
15. From what country was the businessman with whom Andrew shared "Gaping Fish"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Andrew feel about visiting the tourist area of Hanoi?
2. How long did Chi live on the streets before finally reuniting with her family?
3. What was Andrew most looking forward to at his grandpa's memorial?
4. What did the Nguyen family want to give Andrew as his leaving present before returning to America?
5. What name did Chi use during her years on the street?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)