|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a language the laughing old woman in the sea used in an attempt to communicate with Andrew?
2. Who was Andrew pretending to hide from underneath the dining room table?
(a) Vietnamese soldiers.
(b) The Bogeyman.
(c) American soldiers.
3. In what year did Ho Chi Minh die?
4. What was the last thing Andrew talked about with Chi before her death?
(a) Star fruit.
(b) The ocean.
(c) Their father's abuse.
5. What was the newspaper article Andrew's father saved for over a decade about?
(a) The beauty of Vietnam.
(b) The American Dream.
(c) Family relationships.
(d) Financial investments.
6. What part of Vietnam most symbolizes the Vietnamese "sell out" to Andrew?
(a) The American memorabilia.
(b) The prostitutes.
(c) The tourist stops.
(d) The beggars on the streets.
7. What unconventional gift had Andrew's father given to Huy and Hien?
(a) Stock investments.
(b) Bags of marijuana.
(c) Trips to prostitutes.
(d) Personalized handguns.
8. Where did Andrew's father tape the newspaper article that he saved for over a decade?
(a) On the bathroom mirror.
(b) On his bedside lampshade.
(c) On the dashboard of his car.
(d) To the inner lining of his wallet.
9. To what city did Chi run away after her father's arrest?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) San Jose.
(c) San Pedro.
10. How long did Chi live on the streets before finally reuniting with her family?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 8 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 14 years.
11. How did Huy's family react to the news that Huy was gay?
(a) They were confused.
(b) They approved.
(c) They ignored it.
(d) They were outraged.
12. When Andrew was escaping Vietnam as a child, for what was the young woman he met on the street searching the sky?
13. Who told Andrew that Vietnam's national heroine was a prostitute named Kieu?
(a) A homeless woman begging on the street.
(b) Andrew's mother.
(c) A beautiful young prostitute.
(d) A university professor.
14. How much money did the station master demand from Andrew before he could board the commuter train to Hanoi?
15. Growing up, what did Chi want more than anything?
(a) To be deeply loved by her parents.
(b) To own a pony, like princesses in the movies.
(c) To move back to Vietnam.
(d) To be a boy, not a girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Andrew feel about visiting the tourist area of Hanoi?
2. What moral summed up Andrew's experiences in Vietnam?
3. What is unique about the dish "Gaping Fish"?
4. What occupation had Chi undertaken during her years on the street?
5. How long was Andrew sent to jail for his crime aboard the boxcar?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)