|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In California, why was Andrew's father arrested?
(a) For manslaughter.
(b) For drunk driving.
(c) For stealing from a grocery store.
(d) For child abuse.
2. Which of the Pham children most despised family trips?
3. What was the first holiday Huy spent with his family as a gay man?
(b) Valentine's Day.
(c) New Year.
4. Why was Grandmother Pham upset on the way to the memorial of her husband's death?
(a) Because she was unhappy about the way her daughter was being treated by the family.
(b) Because she wanted to be driven to the event by her son, not her grandson.
(c) Because she thought it was disrespectful to commemorate death.
(d) Because she hadn't approved the lunch menu.
5. Where did Andrew's father tape the newspaper article that he saved for over a decade?
(a) On his bedside lampshade.
(b) On the bathroom mirror.
(c) To the inner lining of his wallet.
(d) On the dashboard of his car.
6. How long did the Pham family live in Louisiana before moving to California?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
7. How did Chi kill herself?
(a) She poisoned herself.
(b) She overdosed.
(c) She hung herself.
(d) She shot herself.
8. By train, how many days did it take to travel from Mung Man to Hanoi?
(a) Six days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five days.
9. How often did the Pham family visit the beach in California?
(a) Twice a month.
(c) Every Sunday.
(d) Every six weeks.
10. From Mung Man, how many miles was the trip to Hanoi?
11. When Andrew remembers urinating in the river with Chi as children, with what emotion is he flooded?
12. What animal did Andrew inadvertently kill in a cycling accident in Hanoi?
(a) A dog.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A cat.
(d) A cow.
13. Why was Andrew harassed by bullies in Vietnam for drinking Coke?
(a) Coca-Cola undermined the Vietnamese entrepreneurial spirit.
(b) Coke was too American.
(c) He was showing off his wealth.
(d) He drank it without ice.
14. Which of the following is a rumor that spread rampantly about Ho Chi Minh after his death?
(a) That he had hidden money across Vietnam.
(b) That he was a socialist.
(c) That he was gay.
(d) That he was not a native-born Vietnamese.
15. Which of the following is NOT a classic Vietnamese characteristic that Kieu possessed?
(a) She was selfless.
(b) She had a good sense of humor.
(c) She was silent in the wake of adversity.
(d) She had dignity, regardless of her personal circumstances.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that happened to Andrew after leaving Hanoi?
2. Why wasn't Andrew allowed to stay at the hotel he had chosen in Hanoi?
3. What occupation had Chi undertaken during her years on the street?
4. How did Andrew feel about visiting the tourist area of Hanoi?
5. How old was Trieu when she finally met her birth father?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)