|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did Chi use during her years on the street?
(b) Pham Pham.
2. Growing up, what did Chi use to bind her breasts?
(b) Tight clothing.
(c) Duct tape.
(d) She did not bind her breasts.
3. How much money did the station master demand from Andrew before he could board the commuter train to Hanoi?
4. What was special about the bicyclist Andrew met and stayed with on his way to Ky An?
(a) He was undergoing chemotherapy.
(b) He only had one leg.
(c) He had one shriveled arm.
(d) He could speak five different languages fluently.
5. From what country was the businessman with whom Andrew shared "Gaping Fish"?
6. What part of Vietnam most symbolizes the Vietnamese "sell out" to Andrew?
(a) The prostitutes.
(b) The American memorabilia.
(c) The beggars on the streets.
(d) The tourist stops.
7. What dark secret did Trieu share with Andrew about her father?
(a) He was convicted of war crimes from the Vietnam War.
(b) He had tried to molest her.
(c) He fathered children all across Vietnam and America, and didn't know how many children he actually had.
(d) He was not really her father but her older brother.
8. From Mung Man, how many miles was the trip to Hanoi?
9. Who was Andrew pretending to hide from underneath the dining room table?
(b) The Bogeyman.
(c) Vietnamese soldiers.
(d) American soldiers.
10. Who did Andrew think about most during the final scene in the sea?
(d) His father.
11. What dreams did Andrew's parents have for him before moving to America?
(a) That he would become a professional baseball player.
(b) That he would marry a beautiful American woman.
(c) That he would become a great engineer.
(d) That he would become President.
12. Which of the following was NOT a language the laughing old woman in the sea used in an attempt to communicate with Andrew?
13. Growing up, what did Chi want more than anything?
(a) To move back to Vietnam.
(b) To own a pony, like princesses in the movies.
(c) To be a boy, not a girl.
(d) To be deeply loved by her parents.
14. Why was Andrew harassed by bullies in Vietnam for drinking Coke?
(a) He was showing off his wealth.
(b) He drank it without ice.
(c) Coca-Cola undermined the Vietnamese entrepreneurial spirit.
(d) Coke was too American.
15. What occupation had Chi undertaken during her years on the street?
(a) She had become a welder.
(b) She had become a teacher.
(c) She had become a pilot.
(d) She had become a minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the number one topic of conversation at Grandpa Pham's memorial?
2. Why wasn't Andrew beaten-up by the bullies who harassed him about the Coke?
3. How did Andrew feel about visiting the tourist area of Hanoi?
4. How old was Trieu when she finally met her birth father?
5. Why wasn't Andrew allowed to stay at the hotel he had chosen in Hanoi?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)