|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Andrew sent to jail for his crime aboard the boxcar?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) He was not sent to jail.
2. What was the number one topic of conversation at Grandpa Pham's memorial?
3. Why didn't Cuong/Calvin want to move to America?
(a) Because he was afraid of American racism.
(b) Because he thought it was selling out on one's heritage.
(c) Because he felt like a king in Vietnam.
(d) Because he couldn't afford it.
4. Why wasn't Andrew beaten-up by the bullies who harassed him about the Coke?
(a) They were too drunk to fight him.
(b) They forgave him when they learned he was American.
(c) They got into a fight with another gang instead.
(d) The shopkeeper intervened.
5. What was the last thing Andrew talked about with Chi before her death?
(b) Star fruit.
(c) The ocean.
(d) Their father's abuse.
6. Growing up, what did Chi use to bind her breasts?
(a) She did not bind her breasts.
(b) Duct tape.
(d) Tight clothing.
7. How long did Chi live on the streets before finally reuniting with her family?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 14 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 10 years.
8. What was special about the bicyclist Andrew met and stayed with on his way to Ky An?
(a) He was undergoing chemotherapy.
(b) He only had one leg.
(c) He could speak five different languages fluently.
(d) He had one shriveled arm.
9. When Andrew is bullied by three drunk motorcyclists in Hanoi, what does he offer them to calm them down?
(d) American dollar bills.
10. How long had Andrew been having stomach troubles while cycling through Vietnam?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
11. When Andrew remembers urinating in the river with Chi as children, with what emotion is he flooded?
12. Which of the Pham children most despised family trips?
13. What moral summed up Andrew's experiences in Vietnam?
(a) Historic wrongs can never be undone.
(b) Love is all you need.
(c) People are the same, all across the world.
(d) Try and you shall succeed.
14. What did Andrew's father consider to be his greatest regret in life?
(a) Cheating on his wife.
(b) Leaving Vietnam.
(c) Not fighting in the war against America.
(d) The poor treatment of his children.
15. How did Andrew help the woman who had fainted on the road in Hue?
(a) He gave her mouth-to-mouth.
(b) He did nothing to help her and was later ravaged with guilt.
(c) He called the ambulance and paid for her hospital fees.
(d) He gave someone money to take her home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dark secret did Trieu share with Andrew about her father?
2. Why didn't Andrew have his original travel documents with him when the police questioned him on the boxcar?
3. What is unique about the dish "Gaping Fish"?
4. Why did the children in Hanoi throw rocks at Andrew?
5. To what city did Chi run away after her father's arrest?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)