|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the French ship react when they passed Andrew's family's getaway boat?
(a) They gave them a map and sent them on their way.
(b) They offered them food and water.
(c) They ignored it completely.
(d) They threatened to turn the family in to the police.
2. At the outbreak of the Vietnam War, what big dream did Andrew's parents have?
(a) They dreamed of opening a tavern.
(b) All of the answers are true.
(c) They dreamed of starting a restaurant.
(d) They dreamed of moving to America.
3. What denomination church sponsored the Pham family's immigration to America?
4. When Thong was drafted into the Vietnamese army, what did he hope would earn him a good post?
(a) His marital status.
(b) His last name.
(c) His good looks.
(d) His education.
5. What animal body part did Andrew consume while at a bar with his three uncles?
(a) A cobra heart.
(b) An alligator liver.
(c) A pig fetus.
(d) A chicken embryo.
6. What job did Andrew's father secure upon moving to America?
(c) Military special agent.
7. When did Andrew immigrate to America?
8. Which of the following adjectives best describe Hung?
9. Which of Andrew's uncle was the only one to support his cross-country bicycle trip in Vietnam?
(c) None of Andrew's uncles supported his trip.
10. How did Andrew's father punish him for watching television too long?
(a) He slapped him across the face.
(b) He whipped him with a belt.
(c) He poured hot sauce on his tongue.
(d) He grounded him for a month.
11. What characteristic did Andrew dislike most about his father?
(a) His temper.
(b) His illiteracy.
(c) His condescension.
(d) His subservience.
12. Why did Andrew give money to the beggar woman in the Red Light District?
(a) Because he felt bad for her.
(b) Because he was hoping to have a romantic connection with her.
(c) Because she resembled someone he knew.
(d) Because he felt guilty for how wealthy he was.
13. To what country did the escape ship's crew want to travel?
14. What type of boat did Andrew's family use to escape Vietnam?
(a) A row boat.
(b) A fishing boat.
(c) A freighter.
(d) A sail boat.
15. Which area of Vietnam is known as "the fish sauce capital of the world"?
(a) Tuy Phong.
(b) Phan Thiet.
(c) Bình Thuận.
(d) Hồ Chí Minh City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which highway did Andrew take toward his big adventure?
2. What did Andrew's friends think about his decision to move back in with his parents?
3. Why did Tyle start crying at the bonfire he shared with Andrew?
4. Why did Andrew feel ashamed when, as an adult, he was reunited with his Vietnamese family?
5. How did Andrew react when he learned that his future had also been foretold?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)