|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country's ship saved the escapees when their ship began to fall apart?
2. How did Andrew's brother, Hien, retaliate when Andrew caned his legs?
(a) He filled his pillow with bedbugs.
(b) He took the punishment in silence.
(c) He attacked him with a knife.
(d) He told his father, who returned the beating.
3. To what country did the escape ship's crew want to travel?
4. What was Andrew's birth name?
5. Why did Andrew resolve to ride his bike through Vietnam?
(a) Because he worried he would get lost otherwise.
(b) Because he was being very stubborn.
(c) Because there was no public transportation at the time.
(d) Because this would be the only way to truly see the countryside.
6. What was Andrew's mother's name?
7. What degree did Viet hold?
(a) A pilot's license.
(b) A psychology degree.
(c) A chemistry degree.
(d) A medical degree.
8. How many years difference was there in age between Chi and Andrew?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Four years.
9. Who cared for Andrew as a young boy when his parents left town for business?
(a) His older brothers.
(b) No one. Andrew was locked in his house for days unattended.
(c) His next door neighbor.
(d) His grandmother.
10. As a child, how did Andrew treat the neighbor girl who lived near his grandmother's shop?
(a) He was kind to her.
(b) He felt sorry for her.
(c) He ignored her completely.
(d) He was rude to her.
11. How did Andrew's father punish him for watching television too long?
(a) He poured hot sauce on his tongue.
(b) He slapped him across the face.
(c) He grounded him for a month.
(d) He whipped him with a belt.
12. Which of Andrew's aunties joined his family for their escape out of Vietnam?
(a) Auntie Mung.
(b) Auntie Wung.
(c) Auntie Gung.
(d) Auntie Dung.
13. How did Andrew's family say goodbye to him when he left home to start his new cycling adventure?
(a) They said goodbye awkwardly, without touching.
(b) They hugged and cried.
(c) They did not say goodbye.
(d) They beat their breasts and raised prayers of protection to the gods.
14. Why wasn't Andrew's mother nervous when the escape boat didn't show up to take them away from the rebel soldiers?
(a) Because she knew they were well hidden in the brush.
(b) Because she had strong religious faith.
(c) Because there were plenty of escape ships that could take them away.
(d) Because she thought they could safely return home and try again later.
15. What was the only part of his grandmother's home that Andrew remembered when he visited the home as an adult?
(a) The tree in the backyard.
(b) The front door.
(c) The roof tiles.
(d) He did not recognize any part of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did Ronnie live?
2. What tragedy struck Andrew's parents when they were first married?
3. How did Chi's father react when he learned that Chi had been feeding the leper next-door?
4. How long had Andrew been cycling through the desert when he met Tyle?
5. What part of the Nugyen household brought back strong memories of Andrew's childhood?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)