|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what city did Andrew's mother's friend try to convince the family to run away?
(a) New York City.
2. Which of the following adjectives best describe Hung?
3. How long had Tyle been living away from his wife by the time he met Andrew?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Nine years.
4. How did Andrew's uncle Viet react when Andrew gave money to a beggar in the Red Light District?
(a) He was ashamed.
(b) He was embarrassed.
(c) He was disgusted.
(d) He was proud.
5. How much was Andrew charged in Vietnam to repair his bicycle to top running order?
6. What had the prison in which Andrew's father was held been transformed into after his release?
(a) A village.
(b) A military compound.
(c) A strip mall.
(d) A hospital.
7. Who was responsible for eating the getaway ship's supplies?
(a) The passengers.
(b) The crew.
(c) The seagulls.
(d) The crew and passengers equally.
8. To what country did the escape ship's crew want to travel?
9. How many years difference was there in age between Chi and Andrew?
(a) Five years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
10. What degree did Viet hold?
(a) A pilot's license.
(b) A medical degree.
(c) A chemistry degree.
(d) A psychology degree.
11. What part of the Nugyen household brought back strong memories of Andrew's childhood?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The apple garden.
(d) The roof.
12. How did the French ship react when they passed Andrew's family's getaway boat?
(a) They ignored it completely.
(b) They gave them a map and sent them on their way.
(c) They threatened to turn the family in to the police.
(d) They offered them food and water.
13. Why did Andrew give money to the beggar woman in the Red Light District?
(a) Because he felt bad for her.
(b) Because he was hoping to have a romantic connection with her.
(c) Because he felt guilty for how wealthy he was.
(d) Because she resembled someone he knew.
14. How did Andrew's family say goodbye to him when he left home to start his new cycling adventure?
(a) They hugged and cried.
(b) They beat their breasts and raised prayers of protection to the gods.
(c) They did not say goodbye.
(d) They said goodbye awkwardly, without touching.
15. According to his uncle, why would bicycling through Vietnam be dangerous for Andrew?
(a) All of the answers are true.
(b) Because everyone speeds.
(c) Because traffic laws are different in Vietnam and foreigners aren't accustomed to the rules.
(d) Because traffic signs don't mean anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Chi die?
2. How did Chi's father react when he learned that Chi had been feeding the leper next-door?
3. Why did Andrew feel ashamed when, as an adult, he was reunited with his Vietnamese family?
4. Which of the following is NOT a name for one of Andrew's uncles?
5. How many miles off course was the escape ship when it was finally rescued?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)