|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Lynch use when referring to a union between an actor and a part?
2. Physicists believe that everything comes from which of the following:
3. Lynch refers to what body of water?
4. What gathers together in order to create something large?
5. What is the name of the man who introduced TM to the western world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lynch see "Eraserhead" as a spiritual movie? What inspired Lynch to pull it all together and finish the film?
2. What scientific theory supported the effects of TM? What part of science developed and supported the theory? What other type of science supported the theory?
3. Why does Lynch believe that every film is an experiment? What happens if the experiment fails?
4. How does Lynch choose actors? List at least one of the criteria for being chosen by Lynch.
5. Explain the definition and practice of transcendence. Is it easily achieved?
6. What creates an initial idea? How do bigger ideas come into reality? How does Lynch feel about idea fragments?
7. What is the author's opinion on the amount of control a director should have over a film? What is Lynch's explanation?
8. What type of answers should one seek when practicing TM? What is most likely not going to happen?
9. How did TM affect Lynch's relationship with negativity?
10. What was Lynch's first impression of Hollywood? What is desirable about the area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Transcendental Meditation is a huge part of Lynch's life. Write a 1000-word essay on meditation and its various forms. Include information about world famous teachers such as the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. What is Transcendental Meditation? What are the benefits? Why is Lynch so involved in the practice?
Essay Topic 2
Lynch believes that creativity may be one of the most misunderstood elements of an artist's life. What does Lynch mean by that? What things must one do to give birth to creativity and to foster its growth? What are some of the myths surrounding creativity, talent, and genius? Do you think Lynch has any or all of those things? Is it possible to gain or lose those things throughout one's life? Explain. Do you think you have any or all of those traits? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Lynch has strong opinions about digital video versus traditional film. Discuss Lynch's opinions. Include the explanation of high def and low def as well as the unmatched benefits of each. Compare and contrast the two methods of filmmaking. Which do you think is best?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)