|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many land arms are spread out from the Cornucopia?
2. Who does Finnick kill to save Katniss at the Cornucopia?
3. Who kills Wiress?
4. Who are the tributes from District 3?
5. What is Finnick wearing other than his tribute jumpsuit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
2. After she deal with the initial shock of the Quarter Quell, what does Katniss ask of Haymitch?
3. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
4. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
5. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
6. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
7. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
8. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
9. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
10. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Peeta and Gale. Which aspects of Katniss's life do they symbolize? Though they are each from District 12, how are they different? Which of them, if either, do you think Katniss truly loves? How does her relationship with both of them change throughout the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the country of Panem. How is its society structured? What are the functions of the districts? Why are those in the Capitol privileged when most others live in poverty? Can Panem be called an example of a dystopian society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Katniss is a very strong character, but inevitably has weak moments too. What are her weakest moments in the novel? Does she ultimately come out of these moments as a stronger character? Why or why not? Be sure to choose at least two moments and go into detail---why are these moments essential for the plot of the novel? Are they essential for Katniss's character development too?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)