|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Haymitch and Katniss agree to do in the Quarter Quell Games?
2. What part of the body does the fog target?
3. Who helps Peeta swim to shore?
4. What must Katniss retrieve from Wiress's body?
5. What is the antidote to the poisons of the fog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
2. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
3. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
4. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
5. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
6. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
7. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
8. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
9. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
10. After she deal with the initial shock of the Quarter Quell, what does Katniss ask of Haymitch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Catching Fire." How does the author use this device in the plot? Choose three instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. How do these moments come back into play later in the novel? Why is foreshadowing in this novel so important?
Essay Topic 2
What are Katniss's two greatest traits as a character? Choose the traits then look back at the text and find three examples to support each trait. Explain your selections in a few paragraphs. How does Katniss's character contribute to the overall plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Katniss and Peeta's performances for the Gamemakers during their training. Why do they each decide to defy the Games? Why are the Gamemakers separated from the tributes by a force field? How does this come into play later in the novel? Why is Haymitch dismayed when they tell him what they have done? How does this incident unite Peeta and Katniss, though they are still wary of the approaching Games?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)