|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Finnick bring Peeta back to life?
2. What does President Snow request Katniss wear for her interview?
3. Which year did Haymitch win the Games?
4. What has Peeta already asked Haymitch by the time Katniss arrives?
5. Who are the tributes from District 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
2. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
3. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
4. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
5. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
6. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
7. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
8. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
9. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
10. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the supposed myth of District 13. Initially, what does Katniss think about the district? Who does she encounter that hopes to find District 13? Why is District 13 supposed to stand as a warning for the rest of Panem? Why does Katniss become suspicious about the footage from 13? What does she learn at the end of "Catching Fire," and what predictions can you make about the third novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Katniss and Peeta's performances for the Gamemakers during their training. Why do they each decide to defy the Games? Why are the Gamemakers separated from the tributes by a force field? How does this come into play later in the novel? Why is Haymitch dismayed when they tell him what they have done? How does this incident unite Peeta and Katniss, though they are still wary of the approaching Games?
Essay Topic 3
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)