|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the wall of fog?
2. What is the antidote to the poisons of the fog?
3. How does Finnick bring Peeta back to life?
4. What does President Snow request Katniss wear for her interview?
5. Who does Finnick kill to save Katniss at the Cornucopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
2. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
3. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
4. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
5. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
6. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
7. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
8. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
9. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
10. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Finnick Odair? What is Katniss's initial impression of him? Why does Haymitch suggest she be on Finnick's team in the arena? How does Finnick prove himself to Katniss? Why does Katniss decide she has misjudged Finnick? Overall, how does Finnick contribute to the rebellion in Panem?
Essay Topic 2
How are the Quarter Quell Games different from other years of Hunger Games? Could Panem's political climate have affected the rules of these Games? Why or why not? Are these particular Games popular with the people? Why or why not? What could President Snow be hoping to accomplish with these Games? How does the tributes' display of unity after the interviews undermine this agenda?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of setting and description in "Catching Fire." What role does the setting play in the plot of the novel? Why are time and place so important? How does the author make use of the science fiction/fantasy genre to tell her story? Do you think the same story could have been told using a different platform? Why or why not?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)