|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which year did Haymitch win the Games?
2. What does Katniss discover about the fog?
3. What do Haymitch and Katniss agree to do in the Quarter Quell Games?
4. What excuse does Katniss give for locating the force field?
5. What sounds wake Katniss from her sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
2. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
3. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
4. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
5. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
6. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
7. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
8. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
9. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
10. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Cinna. Though he was apparently randomly assigned to be Katniss's stylist in the first Hunger Games book, do you think Cinna is Katniss's designer by accident? Why or why not? Where do you think Cinna's sympathies lie? Look back at each of the costumes he creates for Katniss. In a few paragraphs, explain the symbolism of the costumes and what you think Cinna had hoped to accomplish.
Essay Topic 2
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Katniss is a very strong character, but inevitably has weak moments too. What are her weakest moments in the novel? Does she ultimately come out of these moments as a stronger character? Why or why not? Be sure to choose at least two moments and go into detail---why are these moments essential for the plot of the novel? Are they essential for Katniss's character development too?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)