|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who voluntarily walks into the fog?
2. What is the antidote to the poisons of the fog?
3. After the fog retreats, what animals do Peeta notice?
4. What does Katniss learn about Mags from Johanna?
5. Who was the former owner of Katniss's mockingjay pin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
2. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
3. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
4. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
5. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
6. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
7. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
8. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
9. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
10. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism in "Catching Fire." Which symbols are most frequently used? How do they contribute to the story? What is the meaning of:
4) The Hunger Games
Be sure to explain each answer completely in at least two to three paragraphs.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Katniss's emotional journey throughout the novel. What are her most significant moments? Does she figure out her feelings for Peeta, or Gale, or both? How does Katniss's instinct for survival conflict with her capacity for love? Examine her emotional revelations:
1) While on the Victory Tour.
2) Upon return to District 12.
3) After learning she will return to the arena.
4) After the events of the Quarter Quell Games.
Essay Topic 3
Peeta and Katniss have a complex relationship---they must play at being in love in front of the whole country, but the publicity makes it difficult for Katniss to tease out her actual feelings for Peeta. Throughout "Catching Fire", what phases do they go through in their relationship? List three significant changes in their relationship during the novel and explain how these changes impact the plot.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)