|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during the interview?
2. Where does Katniss hide after the announcement of the Quarter Quell?
3. Who kills Wiress?
4. What weapons does Johanna find in the Cornucopia?
5. What is the antidote to the poisons of the fog?
Short Essay Questions
1. After she deal with the initial shock of the Quarter Quell, what does Katniss ask of Haymitch?
2. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
3. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
4. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
5. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
6. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
7. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
8. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
9. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
10. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the supposed myth of District 13. Initially, what does Katniss think about the district? Who does she encounter that hopes to find District 13? Why is District 13 supposed to stand as a warning for the rest of Panem? Why does Katniss become suspicious about the footage from 13? What does she learn at the end of "Catching Fire," and what predictions can you make about the third novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Haymitch. What are his strengths? What are his flaws? What insights does the reader gain about Haymitch from the tapes of the last Quarter Quell? Explain the bond between Haymitch and Katniss. How do they act toward one another? What deal does Haymitch make to Katniss? How do the events at the end of the novel explain much of his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)