|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the wall of fog?
2. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during the interview?
3. What does Peeta do for the Gamemakers to show off his talents?
4. What does Haymitch think Katniss will want him to do?
5. What storm have Johanna and the others experienced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
2. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
3. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
4. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
5. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
6. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
7. After she deal with the initial shock of the Quarter Quell, what does Katniss ask of Haymitch?
8. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
9. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
10. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the supposed myth of District 13. Initially, what does Katniss think about the district? Who does she encounter that hopes to find District 13? Why is District 13 supposed to stand as a warning for the rest of Panem? Why does Katniss become suspicious about the footage from 13? What does she learn at the end of "Catching Fire," and what predictions can you make about the third novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Peeta and Katniss's speeches in District 11. How do they deviate from what they had planned to say? Why do they impulsively change their speeches? What is the reaction to them from the crowd? Have the crowd's actions been previously planned? Why or why not? How is this incident representative of the state in Panem as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)