|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haymitch send for the three of them?
2. What does President Snow request Katniss wear for her interview?
3. What does Katniss discover about the fog?
4. What is between the Gamemakers and the tributes?
5. Out of the 75 victors of the Hunger Games throughout the years, how many are still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
2. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
3. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
4. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
5. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
6. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
7. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
8. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
9. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
10. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Cinna. Though he was apparently randomly assigned to be Katniss's stylist in the first Hunger Games book, do you think Cinna is Katniss's designer by accident? Why or why not? Where do you think Cinna's sympathies lie? Look back at each of the costumes he creates for Katniss. In a few paragraphs, explain the symbolism of the costumes and what you think Cinna had hoped to accomplish.
Essay Topic 2
Katniss must play games throughout the entire novel to survive---not only the physical Hunger Games, but strategic political and mental games as well. What games must she play with:
2) President Snow
Be sure to explain each answer completely and in at least two paragraphs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)