|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does President Snow request Katniss wear for her interview?
2. Which year did Haymitch win the Games?
3. How does Katniss finally interact with Darius?
4. How high is the wall of fog?
5. In the Training Center, who does Katniss discover has become an Avox?
Short Essay Questions
1. After she deal with the initial shock of the Quarter Quell, what does Katniss ask of Haymitch?
2. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
3. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
4. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
5. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
6. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
7. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
8. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
9. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
10. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the Quarter Quell Games different from other years of Hunger Games? Could Panem's political climate have affected the rules of these Games? Why or why not? Are these particular Games popular with the people? Why or why not? What could President Snow be hoping to accomplish with these Games? How does the tributes' display of unity after the interviews undermine this agenda?
Essay Topic 2
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of setting and description in "Catching Fire." What role does the setting play in the plot of the novel? Why are time and place so important? How does the author make use of the science fiction/fantasy genre to tell her story? Do you think the same story could have been told using a different platform? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)