|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Peeta researching the other victors?
2. Where does Katniss hide after the announcement of the Quarter Quell?
3. Who voluntarily walks into the fog?
4. Who kills Wiress?
5. What act in the Games is Enobaria famous for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
2. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
3. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
4. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
5. After she deal with the initial shock of the Quarter Quell, what does Katniss ask of Haymitch?
6. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
7. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
8. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
9. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
10. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katniss must play games throughout the entire novel to survive---not only the physical Hunger Games, but strategic political and mental games as well. What games must she play with:
2) President Snow
Be sure to explain each answer completely and in at least two paragraphs.
Essay Topic 2
How are the Quarter Quell Games different from other years of Hunger Games? Could Panem's political climate have affected the rules of these Games? Why or why not? Are these particular Games popular with the people? Why or why not? What could President Snow be hoping to accomplish with these Games? How does the tributes' display of unity after the interviews undermine this agenda?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)