|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Wiress keep repeating?
2. What does Katniss learn about Mags from Johanna?
3. What sounds wake Katniss from her sleep?
4. Who saves Peeta from the mutt monkey?
5. What does Peeta want the three of them to do in preparation for the Games?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
2. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during his interview?
3. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
4. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
5. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
6. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
7. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
8. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
9. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
10. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Katniss and Peeta's performances for the Gamemakers during their training. Why do they each decide to defy the Games? Why are the Gamemakers separated from the tributes by a force field? How does this come into play later in the novel? Why is Haymitch dismayed when they tell him what they have done? How does this incident unite Peeta and Katniss, though they are still wary of the approaching Games?
Essay Topic 2
Katniss is a very strong character, but inevitably has weak moments too. What are her weakest moments in the novel? Does she ultimately come out of these moments as a stronger character? Why or why not? Be sure to choose at least two moments and go into detail---why are these moments essential for the plot of the novel? Are they essential for Katniss's character development too?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Katniss's emotional journey throughout the novel. What are her most significant moments? Does she figure out her feelings for Peeta, or Gale, or both? How does Katniss's instinct for survival conflict with her capacity for love? Examine her emotional revelations:
1) While on the Victory Tour.
2) Upon return to District 12.
3) After learning she will return to the arena.
4) After the events of the Quarter Quell Games.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)