|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many land arms are spread out from the Cornucopia?
2. How does Katniss finally interact with Darius?
3. Who are the tributes from District 3?
4. In the Training Center, who does Katniss discover has become an Avox?
5. What has Peeta already asked Haymitch by the time Katniss arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
2. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
3. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
4. After she deal with the initial shock of the Quarter Quell, what does Katniss ask of Haymitch?
5. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
6. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
7. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
8. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
9. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
10. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism in "Catching Fire." Which symbols are most frequently used? How do they contribute to the story? What is the meaning of:
4) The Hunger Games
Be sure to explain each answer completely in at least two to three paragraphs.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the country of Panem. How is its society structured? What are the functions of the districts? Why are those in the Capitol privileged when most others live in poverty? Can Panem be called an example of a dystopian society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Peeta and Katniss have a complex relationship---they must play at being in love in front of the whole country, but the publicity makes it difficult for Katniss to tease out her actual feelings for Peeta. Throughout "Catching Fire", what phases do they go through in their relationship? List three significant changes in their relationship during the novel and explain how these changes impact the plot.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)