|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which year did Haymitch win the Games?
2. What does Katniss use to stop the bleeding from Beetee's wound?
3. Who are the tributes from District 3?
4. Who voluntarily walks into the fog?
5. What meal has Finnick prepared for them the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
2. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
3. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
4. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
5. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
6. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
7. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
8. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
9. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
10. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peeta and Katniss have a complex relationship---they must play at being in love in front of the whole country, but the publicity makes it difficult for Katniss to tease out her actual feelings for Peeta. Throughout "Catching Fire", what phases do they go through in their relationship? List three significant changes in their relationship during the novel and explain how these changes impact the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Katniss and Peeta's performances for the Gamemakers during their training. Why do they each decide to defy the Games? Why are the Gamemakers separated from the tributes by a force field? How does this come into play later in the novel? Why is Haymitch dismayed when they tell him what they have done? How does this incident unite Peeta and Katniss, though they are still wary of the approaching Games?
Essay Topic 3
Katniss must play games throughout the entire novel to survive---not only the physical Hunger Games, but strategic political and mental games as well. What games must she play with:
2) President Snow
Be sure to explain each answer completely and in at least two paragraphs.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)