|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Training Center, who does Katniss discover has become an Avox?
2. Who kills Wiress?
3. What has happened to the Peacekeeper Darius?
4. Who voluntarily walks into the fog?
5. Finnick Odair is the male tribute from which District?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
2. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
3. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
4. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
5. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
6. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
7. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
8. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
9. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
10. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the country of Panem. How is its society structured? What are the functions of the districts? Why are those in the Capitol privileged when most others live in poverty? Can Panem be called an example of a dystopian society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Peeta's journey throughout the novel. Does he grow or change as a character? How does his relationship with Katniss change? Discuss Peeta's state of mind in each of these settings:
1) On the train for the Victory Tour.
2) During the photo shoot.
3) During the interview with Caesar Flickerman.
4) While showing Katniss the photos in the locket.
How do each of these situations contribute to Peeta's journey?
Essay Topic 3
Peeta and Katniss have a complex relationship---they must play at being in love in front of the whole country, but the publicity makes it difficult for Katniss to tease out her actual feelings for Peeta. Throughout "Catching Fire", what phases do they go through in their relationship? List three significant changes in their relationship during the novel and explain how these changes impact the plot.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)