|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sounds wake Katniss from her sleep?
2. Who kills Wiress?
3. What is the design of the arena?
4. What is between the Gamemakers and the tributes?
5. Who saves Peeta from the mutt monkey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
2. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
3. Why does Beetee compare Wiress to a canary in a coal mine?
4. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
5. What do Katniss and Peeta show the Gamemakers to receive their scores?
6. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
7. What does Peeta insist the three of them do prior to the reaping?
8. How does Finnick attempt to prove himself to Katniss?
9. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
10. Why have Katniss and Peeta been instructed not to wave and smile at the crowd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Peeta and Gale. Which aspects of Katniss's life do they symbolize? Though they are each from District 12, how are they different? Which of them, if either, do you think Katniss truly loves? How does her relationship with both of them change throughout the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Katniss's emotional journey throughout the novel. What are her most significant moments? Does she figure out her feelings for Peeta, or Gale, or both? How does Katniss's instinct for survival conflict with her capacity for love? Examine her emotional revelations:
1) While on the Victory Tour.
2) Upon return to District 12.
3) After learning she will return to the arena.
4) After the events of the Quarter Quell Games.
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)