|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What voice does Katniss hear in the jungle?
2. What survival items are waiting in the Cornucopia for the tributes?
3. How many land arms are spread out from the Cornucopia?
4. What shocking announcement does Peeta make during the interview?
5. What does Katniss ask Haymitch for at his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. The first day of training, why is Katniss distracted and upset?
2. How does Katniss's opinion about Finnick change after the fog?
3. Why do you think Mags sacrifices herself during the flight from the fog?
4. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
5. Why has Johanna saved Beetee and Wiress?
6. After watching Haymitch's victory in the last Quarter Quell, what does Katniss realize?
7. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
8. What pattern does Katniss notice about everyone's treatment of Peeta?
9. Why is Katniss so suspicious of Finnick's wish to form an alliance?
10. Why does Katniss keep the truth about her knowledge of the force field a secret?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Haymitch. What are his strengths? What are his flaws? What insights does the reader gain about Haymitch from the tapes of the last Quarter Quell? Explain the bond between Haymitch and Katniss. How do they act toward one another? What deal does Haymitch make to Katniss? How do the events at the end of the novel explain much of his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Cinna. Though he was apparently randomly assigned to be Katniss's stylist in the first Hunger Games book, do you think Cinna is Katniss's designer by accident? Why or why not? Where do you think Cinna's sympathies lie? Look back at each of the costumes he creates for Katniss. In a few paragraphs, explain the symbolism of the costumes and what you think Cinna had hoped to accomplish.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)