|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katniss promise to do on the tour?
2. When they arrived back from the Games, what did Katniss's mother say about Peeta?
3. When Katniss says she is full, what does the prep team suggest she do?
4. Why is the mockingjay a symbol of the Capitol's failure?
5. Why is District 12 at a disadvantage for a rebellion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
2. How does Katniss's mother transform in a sickroom?
3. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
4. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
5. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
6. What happens after Katniss and Peeta speak in District 11?
7. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
8. What is the Victor's Village?
9. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
10. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Catching Fire." How does the author use this device in the plot? Choose three instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. How do these moments come back into play later in the novel? Why is foreshadowing in this novel so important?
Essay Topic 2
How are the Quarter Quell Games different from other years of Hunger Games? Could Panem's political climate have affected the rules of these Games? Why or why not? Are these particular Games popular with the people? Why or why not? What could President Snow be hoping to accomplish with these Games? How does the tributes' display of unity after the interviews undermine this agenda?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Cinna. Though he was apparently randomly assigned to be Katniss's stylist in the first Hunger Games book, do you think Cinna is Katniss's designer by accident? Why or why not? Where do you think Cinna's sympathies lie? Look back at each of the costumes he creates for Katniss. In a few paragraphs, explain the symbolism of the costumes and what you think Cinna had hoped to accomplish.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)