|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Katniss get back inside District 12?
2. Why is Prim excited about the mandatory television viewing when she gets home from school?
3. How does Katniss explain the President's visit to her mother?
4. What has Katniss's mockingjay pin become in the Capitol?
5. What was Katniss's favorite part about the victory celebrations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Katniss's "talent"?
2. What drove Bonnie and Twill out of District 8?
3. What suspicions do Bonnie and Twill have about District 13?
4. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
5. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
6. How does Katniss's mother transform in a sickroom?
7. Why is there tension between Katniss and Peeta?
8. What is Peeta's talent?
9. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
10. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peeta and Katniss's speeches in District 11. How do they deviate from what they had planned to say? Why do they impulsively change their speeches? What is the reaction to them from the crowd? Have the crowd's actions been previously planned? Why or why not? How is this incident representative of the state in Panem as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the supposed myth of District 13. Initially, what does Katniss think about the district? Who does she encounter that hopes to find District 13? Why is District 13 supposed to stand as a warning for the rest of Panem? Why does Katniss become suspicious about the footage from 13? What does she learn at the end of "Catching Fire," and what predictions can you make about the third novel?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)