|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Prim excited about the mandatory television viewing when she gets home from school?
2. As victors of the Hunger Games, what are Katniss and Peeta obligated to do?
3. How does Peeta help with the family book?
4. To keep up public appearances, what does the rest of Panem think the relationship is between Katniss and Gale?
5. Why are Prim and Katniss's mother so pleased with the photo shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
2. What is the Victor's Village?
3. What drove Bonnie and Twill out of District 8?
4. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
5. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
6. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
7. Why is there tension between Katniss and Peeta?
8. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
9. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
10. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Katniss's emotional journey throughout the novel. What are her most significant moments? Does she figure out her feelings for Peeta, or Gale, or both? How does Katniss's instinct for survival conflict with her capacity for love? Examine her emotional revelations:
1) While on the Victory Tour.
2) Upon return to District 12.
3) After learning she will return to the arena.
4) After the events of the Quarter Quell Games.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Peeta and Gale. Which aspects of Katniss's life do they symbolize? Though they are each from District 12, how are they different? Which of them, if either, do you think Katniss truly loves? How does her relationship with both of them change throughout the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Haymitch. What are his strengths? What are his flaws? What insights does the reader gain about Haymitch from the tapes of the last Quarter Quell? Explain the bond between Haymitch and Katniss. How do they act toward one another? What deal does Haymitch make to Katniss? How do the events at the end of the novel explain much of his behavior?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)