|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As victors of the Hunger Games, what are Katniss and Peeta obligated to do?
2. What does Katniss wishes she had done, thinking it would have prevented all the unrest?
3. Where does Katniss meet Gale?
4. Who are the two people that Gale does not want to run away with them?
5. Where do Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch live?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
2. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
3. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
4. What happens in District 12 after the blizzard?
5. What does Katniss accidentally learn while at the mayor's house in District 12?
6. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
7. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
8. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
9. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
10. What is Katniss's "talent"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the country of Panem. How is its society structured? What are the functions of the districts? Why are those in the Capitol privileged when most others live in poverty? Can Panem be called an example of a dystopian society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Peeta and Katniss have a complex relationship---they must play at being in love in front of the whole country, but the publicity makes it difficult for Katniss to tease out her actual feelings for Peeta. Throughout "Catching Fire", what phases do they go through in their relationship? List three significant changes in their relationship during the novel and explain how these changes impact the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Peeta and Gale. Which aspects of Katniss's life do they symbolize? Though they are each from District 12, how are they different? Which of them, if either, do you think Katniss truly loves? How does her relationship with both of them change throughout the events in the novel?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)