|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the mockingjay remind Katniss?
2. What is the focus of District 11?
3. What event does Katniss regret informing Gale about?
4. Why must Katniss wake Haymitch?
5. If forced to marry Peeta, what is Katniss most worried about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
2. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
3. Why must Katniss and Peeta eventually marry?
4. Why is there tension between Katniss and Peeta?
5. What does Plutarch Heavensbee show Katniss while they are dancing together?
6. What suspicions do Bonnie and Twill have about District 13?
7. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
8. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
9. What is the Victor's Village?
10. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Peeta and Gale. Which aspects of Katniss's life do they symbolize? Though they are each from District 12, how are they different? Which of them, if either, do you think Katniss truly loves? How does her relationship with both of them change throughout the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Catching Fire." How does the author use this device in the plot? Choose three instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. How do these moments come back into play later in the novel? Why is foreshadowing in this novel so important?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Haymitch. What are his strengths? What are his flaws? What insights does the reader gain about Haymitch from the tapes of the last Quarter Quell? Explain the bond between Haymitch and Katniss. How do they act toward one another? What deal does Haymitch make to Katniss? How do the events at the end of the novel explain much of his behavior?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)