|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Peeta want to discuss Katniss's plan?
2. For the Quarter Quell, what pool will the tributes come from?
3. In Chapter 8, what happens to Gale?
4. What is the focus of District 11?
5. Why is Peeta going into town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
2. What is Peeta's talent?
3. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
4. What suspicions do Bonnie and Twill have about District 13?
5. What happens in District 12 after the blizzard?
6. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
7. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
8. What is the Victor's Village?
9. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
10. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Peeta and Gale. Which aspects of Katniss's life do they symbolize? Though they are each from District 12, how are they different? Which of them, if either, do you think Katniss truly loves? How does her relationship with both of them change throughout the events in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Cinna. Though he was apparently randomly assigned to be Katniss's stylist in the first Hunger Games book, do you think Cinna is Katniss's designer by accident? Why or why not? Where do you think Cinna's sympathies lie? Look back at each of the costumes he creates for Katniss. In a few paragraphs, explain the symbolism of the costumes and what you think Cinna had hoped to accomplish.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)