|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the train delayed for the repair?
2. What does the crowd do after Katniss's speech?
3. To keep up public appearances, what does the rest of Panem think the relationship is between Katniss and Gale?
4. What is the focus of District 11?
5. As victors of the Hunger Games, what are Katniss and Peeta obligated to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
2. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
3. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
4. What happens in District 12 after the blizzard?
5. What is Peeta's talent?
6. Why is there tension between Katniss and Peeta?
7. What is Katniss's "talent"?
8. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
9. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
10. How does Katniss's mother transform in a sickroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in "Catching Fire." How does the author use this device in the plot? Choose three instances of foreshadowing and explain their significance. How do these moments come back into play later in the novel? Why is foreshadowing in this novel so important?
Essay Topic 3
Katniss is a very strong character, but inevitably has weak moments too. What are her weakest moments in the novel? Does she ultimately come out of these moments as a stronger character? Why or why not? Be sure to choose at least two moments and go into detail---why are these moments essential for the plot of the novel? Are they essential for Katniss's character development too?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)