|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Katniss's favorite part about the victory celebrations?
2. How does Peeta help with the family book?
3. What does Katniss smell on President Snow's breath?
4. What gift does Gale refuse to accept?
5. What plan does Katniss want Gale to participate in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
2. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
3. Why must Katniss and Peeta eventually marry?
4. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
5. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
6. Why is there tension between Katniss and Peeta?
7. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
8. What is Katniss's "talent"?
9. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
10. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the Quarter Quell Games different from other years of Hunger Games? Could Panem's political climate have affected the rules of these Games? Why or why not? Are these particular Games popular with the people? Why or why not? What could President Snow be hoping to accomplish with these Games? How does the tributes' display of unity after the interviews undermine this agenda?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
Essay Topic 3
What are Katniss's two greatest traits as a character? Choose the traits then look back at the text and find three examples to support each trait. Explain your selections in a few paragraphs. How does Katniss's character contribute to the overall plot of the story?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)