|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Katniss regret informing Gale about?
2. How long did it take for the Peacekeepers to subdue the uprising in District 8?
3. What does Katniss smell on President Snow's breath?
4. What is Octavia's explanation for the seafood shortage?
5. Why is Peeta going into town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katniss's mother transform in a sickroom?
2. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
3. What does Katniss accidentally learn while at the mayor's house in District 12?
4. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
5. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
6. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
7. What happens after Katniss and Peeta speak in District 11?
8. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
9. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
10. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peeta and Katniss's speeches in District 11. How do they deviate from what they had planned to say? Why do they impulsively change their speeches? What is the reaction to them from the crowd? Have the crowd's actions been previously planned? Why or why not? How is this incident representative of the state in Panem as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
Essay Topic 3
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)