|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Peeta give to the tributes' families?
2. What is Katniss's family book?
3. What reason does Katniss use for the Peacekeepers for being gone so long?
4. What does Katniss promise to do on the tour?
5. Where was Katniss's favorite place to go on Sundays in the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katniss accidentally learn while at the mayor's house in District 12?
2. How does Katniss's mother transform in a sickroom?
3. Why must Katniss and Peeta eventually marry?
4. What happens after Katniss and Peeta speak in District 11?
5. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
6. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
7. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
8. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
9. What suspicions do Bonnie and Twill have about District 13?
10. What is Peeta's talent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Katniss's emotional journey throughout the novel. What are her most significant moments? Does she figure out her feelings for Peeta, or Gale, or both? How does Katniss's instinct for survival conflict with her capacity for love? Examine her emotional revelations:
1) While on the Victory Tour.
2) Upon return to District 12.
3) After learning she will return to the arena.
4) After the events of the Quarter Quell Games.
Essay Topic 2
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Katniss is a very strong character, but inevitably has weak moments too. What are her weakest moments in the novel? Does she ultimately come out of these moments as a stronger character? Why or why not? Be sure to choose at least two moments and go into detail---why are these moments essential for the plot of the novel? Are they essential for Katniss's character development too?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)