|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katniss tell Haymitch she wants to do?
2. What does Katniss worry that President Snow has captured on camera?
3. Where are the two women planning to go?
4. What does President Snow think Katniss feels for Peeta?
5. Why is the mockingjay a symbol of the Capitol's failure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
2. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
3. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
4. Why must Katniss and Peeta eventually marry?
5. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
6. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
7. What is the Victor's Village?
8. What happens in District 12 after the blizzard?
9. How does Katniss's mother transform in a sickroom?
10. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism in "Catching Fire." Which symbols are most frequently used? How do they contribute to the story? What is the meaning of:
4) The Hunger Games
Be sure to explain each answer completely in at least two to three paragraphs.
Essay Topic 2
Katniss is a very strong character, but inevitably has weak moments too. What are her weakest moments in the novel? Does she ultimately come out of these moments as a stronger character? Why or why not? Be sure to choose at least two moments and go into detail---why are these moments essential for the plot of the novel? Are they essential for Katniss's character development too?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the supposed myth of District 13. Initially, what does Katniss think about the district? Who does she encounter that hopes to find District 13? Why is District 13 supposed to stand as a warning for the rest of Panem? Why does Katniss become suspicious about the footage from 13? What does she learn at the end of "Catching Fire," and what predictions can you make about the third novel?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)