|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katniss worry that President Snow has captured on camera?
2. How long did it take for the Peacekeepers to subdue the uprising in District 8?
3. What are Katniss and Peeta's favorite colors?
4. How does Katniss get back inside District 12?
5. What does Gale confess in the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there tension between Katniss and Peeta?
2. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
3. Why must Katniss and Peeta eventually marry?
4. What does Plutarch Heavensbee show Katniss while they are dancing together?
5. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
6. What is Peeta's talent?
7. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
8. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
9. What is Katniss's "talent"?
10. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Katniss's emotional journey throughout the novel. What are her most significant moments? Does she figure out her feelings for Peeta, or Gale, or both? How does Katniss's instinct for survival conflict with her capacity for love? Examine her emotional revelations:
1) While on the Victory Tour.
2) Upon return to District 12.
3) After learning she will return to the arena.
4) After the events of the Quarter Quell Games.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the country of Panem. How is its society structured? What are the functions of the districts? Why are those in the Capitol privileged when most others live in poverty? Can Panem be called an example of a dystopian society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Haymitch communicate with his tributes while they are in the arena? What strategies does he use to help them survive? During the Quarter Quell Games, how did Haymitch communicate instructions using the bread? Why weren't Katniss and Peeta included in the plans for the rebellion? Do you think events would have turned out differently had they been included in the conversation? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)