|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peeta help with the family book?
2. Where does Katniss meet Gale?
3. How does Katniss figure out which other Districts may be rebelling?
4. What is Katniss's new "talent"?
5. Why is Peeta going into town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Victor's Village?
2. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
3. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
4. What is Peeta's talent?
5. What does Katniss accidentally learn while at the mayor's house in District 12?
6. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
7. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
8. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
9. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
10. What drove Bonnie and Twill out of District 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peeta and Katniss's speeches in District 11. How do they deviate from what they had planned to say? Why do they impulsively change their speeches? What is the reaction to them from the crowd? Have the crowd's actions been previously planned? Why or why not? How is this incident representative of the state in Panem as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Katniss and Peeta's performances for the Gamemakers during their training. Why do they each decide to defy the Games? Why are the Gamemakers separated from the tributes by a force field? How does this come into play later in the novel? Why is Haymitch dismayed when they tell him what they have done? How does this incident unite Peeta and Katniss, though they are still wary of the approaching Games?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of setting and description in "Catching Fire." What role does the setting play in the plot of the novel? Why are time and place so important? How does the author make use of the science fiction/fantasy genre to tell her story? Do you think the same story could have been told using a different platform? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)