|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Katniss's favorite part about the victory celebrations?
2. Of whom does the mockingjay remind Katniss?
3. Where does Katniss choose to tell her plan to Peeta?
4. When the storm abates, what staple of District 12 has been burned down?
5. Who is Katniss shocked to find in her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
2. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
3. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
4. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
5. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
6. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
7. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
8. What is Peeta's talent?
9. What does Plutarch Heavensbee show Katniss while they are dancing together?
10. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
Essay Topic 1
Katniss is a very strong character, but inevitably has weak moments too. What are her weakest moments in the novel? Does she ultimately come out of these moments as a stronger character? Why or why not? Be sure to choose at least two moments and go into detail---why are these moments essential for the plot of the novel? Are they essential for Katniss's character development too?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism in "Catching Fire." Which symbols are most frequently used? How do they contribute to the story? What is the meaning of:
4) The Hunger Games
Be sure to explain each answer completely in at least two to three paragraphs.
Essay Topic 3
How are the Quarter Quell Games different from other years of Hunger Games? Could Panem's political climate have affected the rules of these Games? Why or why not? Are these particular Games popular with the people? Why or why not? What could President Snow be hoping to accomplish with these Games? How does the tributes' display of unity after the interviews undermine this agenda?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)