Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Prim excited about the mandatory television viewing when she gets home from school?
2. Where does Katniss choose to tell her plan to Peeta?
3. What does Katniss decide to do after saving Gale?
4. Why must Katniss wake Haymitch?
5. After learning she and Peeta's show has not been enough for President Snow, what does Katniss decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suspicions do Bonnie and Twill have about District 13?
2. What is the Victor's Village?
3. What does Plutarch Heavensbee show Katniss while they are dancing together?
4. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
5. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
6. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
7. How does Peeta try to convince Katniss to survive?
8. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
9. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
10. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peeta and Katniss's speeches in District 11. How do they deviate from what they had planned to say? Why do they impulsively change their speeches? What is the reaction to them from the crowd? Have the crowd's actions been previously planned? Why or why not? How is this incident representative of the state in Panem as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
What are Katniss's two greatest traits as a character? Choose the traits then look back at the text and find three examples to support each trait. Explain your selections in a few paragraphs. How does Katniss's character contribute to the overall plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of setting and description in "Catching Fire." What role does the setting play in the plot of the novel? Why are time and place so important? How does the author make use of the science fiction/fantasy genre to tell her story? Do you think the same story could have been told using a different platform? Why or why not?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)