|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Peeta give to the tributes' families?
2. Why are Prim and Katniss's mother so pleased with the photo shoot?
3. Where was Katniss's favorite place to go on Sundays in the summer?
4. If forced to marry Peeta, what is Katniss most worried about?
5. Who is Plutarch Heavensbee?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
2. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
3. What does Plutarch Heavensbee show Katniss while they are dancing together?
4. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
5. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
6. What happens in District 12 after the blizzard?
7. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
8. What is Katniss's "talent"?
9. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
10. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peeta and Katniss have a complex relationship---they must play at being in love in front of the whole country, but the publicity makes it difficult for Katniss to tease out her actual feelings for Peeta. Throughout "Catching Fire", what phases do they go through in their relationship? List three significant changes in their relationship during the novel and explain how these changes impact the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of setting and description in "Catching Fire." What role does the setting play in the plot of the novel? Why are time and place so important? How does the author make use of the science fiction/fantasy genre to tell her story? Do you think the same story could have been told using a different platform? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)