Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Prim excited about the mandatory television viewing when she gets home from school?
2. Where does Katniss choose to tell her plan to Peeta?
3. What does Katniss decide to do after saving Gale?
4. Why must Katniss wake Haymitch?
5. After learning she and Peeta's show has not been enough for President Snow, what does Katniss decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suspicions do Bonnie and Twill have about District 13?
2. What is the Victor's Village?
3. What does Plutarch Heavensbee show Katniss while they are dancing together?
4. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
5. What does Katniss learn from Beetee and Wiress on the first training day?
6. What gift has Haymitch so carefully chosen to send his tributes?
7. How does Peeta try to convince Katniss to survive?
8. How has the arena been arranged similarly to a clock?
9. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
10. What is the first normal activity Peeta and Katniss do together?
Essay Topic 1
What are Katniss's two greatest traits as a character? Choose the traits then look back at the text and find three examples to support each trait. Explain your selections in a few paragraphs. How does Katniss's character contribute to the overall plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism in "Catching Fire." Which symbols are most frequently used? How do they contribute to the story? What is the meaning of:
4) The Hunger Games
Be sure to explain each answer completely in at least two to three paragraphs.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Haymitch. What are his strengths? What are his flaws? What insights does the reader gain about Haymitch from the tapes of the last Quarter Quell? Explain the bond between Haymitch and Katniss. How do they act toward one another? What deal does Haymitch make to Katniss? How do the events at the end of the novel explain much of his behavior?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)