|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Peeta going into town?
2. What items were made in Bonnie's factory?
3. "Catching Fire" takes place at what point in Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games series?
4. Why was Gale punished?
5. What Hunger Games event happens every 25 years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the President come to Katniss's house?
2. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
3. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
4. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
5. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
6. What happens in District 12 after the blizzard?
7. What is the Victor's Village?
8. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
9. Why must Katniss and Peeta eventually marry?
10. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Haymitch. What are his strengths? What are his flaws? What insights does the reader gain about Haymitch from the tapes of the last Quarter Quell? Explain the bond between Haymitch and Katniss. How do they act toward one another? What deal does Haymitch make to Katniss? How do the events at the end of the novel explain much of his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the country of Panem. How is its society structured? What are the functions of the districts? Why are those in the Capitol privileged when most others live in poverty? Can Panem be called an example of a dystopian society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Peeta and Katniss's speeches in District 11. How do they deviate from what they had planned to say? Why do they impulsively change their speeches? What is the reaction to them from the crowd? Have the crowd's actions been previously planned? Why or why not? How is this incident representative of the state in Panem as a whole?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)