|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Katniss's excuse for defying the Capitol during the last Hunger Games?
2. What does Katniss worry that President Snow has captured on camera?
3. What gift does Gale refuse to accept?
4. What event does Katniss regret informing Gale about?
5. Who are the two people that Gale does not want to run away with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there tension between Katniss and Peeta?
2. What is the Victor's Village?
3. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
4. What is the main reason Katniss does not want to have children?
5. Why does Gale decide he will not run away into the woods with Katniss?
6. How does Katniss's mother transform in a sickroom?
7. What drove Bonnie and Twill out of District 8?
8. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
9. When they reach the Capitol, how does Peeta try to convince Panem that he and Katniss are in love?
10. What happens after Katniss and Peeta speak in District 11?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Cinna. Though he was apparently randomly assigned to be Katniss's stylist in the first Hunger Games book, do you think Cinna is Katniss's designer by accident? Why or why not? Where do you think Cinna's sympathies lie? Look back at each of the costumes he creates for Katniss. In a few paragraphs, explain the symbolism of the costumes and what you think Cinna had hoped to accomplish.
Essay Topic 2
What are Katniss's two greatest traits as a character? Choose the traits then look back at the text and find three examples to support each trait. Explain your selections in a few paragraphs. How does Katniss's character contribute to the overall plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How are the Quarter Quell Games different from other years of Hunger Games? Could Panem's political climate have affected the rules of these Games? Why or why not? Are these particular Games popular with the people? Why or why not? What could President Snow be hoping to accomplish with these Games? How does the tributes' display of unity after the interviews undermine this agenda?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)