|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katniss wishes she had done, thinking it would have prevented all the unrest?
2. How does Katniss get back inside District 12?
3. Why is Peeta going into town?
4. What beauty treatment must Katniss undergo before arriving in District 11?
5. What is the only method that will work to help Katniss sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did both Katniss and Peeta survive the 74th Hunger Games?
2. What does Katniss realize as she sits with the unconscious Gale?
3. Instead of planning escape into the woods, what does Katniss begin to plan as the blizzard keeps them all inside?
4. What does Katniss do when she finds Gale being whipped by the Head Peacekeeper?
5. What is Katniss's "talent"?
6. What drove Bonnie and Twill out of District 8?
7. What suspicions do Bonnie and Twill have about District 13?
8. What is the twist for the 75th Quarter Quell Hunger Games?
9. How have Katniss's final six wedding dresses been chosen?
10. Why must Katniss get back inside the fence, though it has been electrified?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Peeta and Katniss's speeches in District 11. How do they deviate from what they had planned to say? Why do they impulsively change their speeches? What is the reaction to them from the crowd? Have the crowd's actions been previously planned? Why or why not? How is this incident representative of the state in Panem as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Katniss's emotional journey throughout the novel. What are her most significant moments? Does she figure out her feelings for Peeta, or Gale, or both? How does Katniss's instinct for survival conflict with her capacity for love? Examine her emotional revelations:
1) While on the Victory Tour.
2) Upon return to District 12.
3) After learning she will return to the arena.
4) After the events of the Quarter Quell Games.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view in "Catching Fire." What is the tense? Do you think is it helpful for Katniss to be telling the story? Why or why not? Do you think a different point of view could have been more effective or not? How does the point of view add to the suspense and action? Choose two moments in the novel when you think the point of view is effective and explain your choices.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)