|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank have a checking account?
2. What impression might a reader form about Frank's character from the first chapter?
3. How does Frank feel about being sent to reform school?
4. How does Frank earn a living when he first runs away from home?
5. Why does deadheading to Dallas give Frank a nervous moment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do changes in technology make Frank's con harder to pull off today?
2. Why do you think that presenting himself as a jokester helps Frank to be accepted and look as though he knows what he is doing in the hospital?
3. How does his job as a doctor fit into Frank's plans for living in Atlanta?
4. Describe Frank's method for finding out the things he needs to know.
5. How does Frank test his con before actually deadheading on a flight?
6. Do you think that Frank wants to pose as a pilot only because he wants to cash bad checks? Or is there some other reason? Please explain.
7. What are the drawbacks, for Frank, of working as a doctor?
8. How does Frank manage to escape the New Orleans police?
9. Frank manages to avoid being caught for several years. Imagine, though, that he is caught. How do you think he is caught earlier? How much of his good fortune is luck and how much is skill?
10. How does Frank's credit card scheme work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the research process Frank uses when he begins each new role. How is the process similar each time? How important do you think Frank's research is in keeping him from being caught? Explain your answer. Be sure to include the research Frank does on being a pilot, doctor, lawyer, and university professor.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Frank's tour of Europe with the interns, with his usual practice of deadheading around alone as a fake pilot. How are the two experiences similar and different? Which strategy do you think best suits Frank's character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Papa Lavalier. What role does he play in Frank's life? Do you think that Frank takes advantage of him, or does he benefit just as much from their transactions as Frank does? Do you think that Papa Lavalier understands as little as Frank believes he does?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)