|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he realizes that airline employees are suspicious of him, how does Frank gather more information about his role as a pilot?
2. What kind of a deal does Frank make with the gas station attendant?
3. How old is Frank when he leaves home?
4. How does Frank manage to pass the bar exam?
5. How does Frank find out what a "blue baby" is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Frank wants to pose as a pilot only because he wants to cash bad checks? Or is there some other reason? Please explain.
2. How does Frank rely on Pan Am to help him?
3. How does Frank feel about not being entrusted with any actual legal work?
4. Do you think that Frank's con works today? Why or why not?
5. What skills do you think Frank needs to have in order to pass himself off as a pilot?
6. What are the drawbacks, for Frank, of working as a doctor?
7. How does his job as a doctor fit into Frank's plans for living in Atlanta?
8. Frank manages to avoid being caught for several years. Imagine, though, that he is caught. How do you think he is caught earlier? How much of his good fortune is luck and how much is skill?
9. Why do you think that Frank is concerned when the pilot of the flight he is on does not let him listen to conversations with the tower on a courtesy headset?
10. What is the overall tone of Chapter One, "The Fledgling"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Frank's tour of Europe with the interns, with his usual practice of deadheading around alone as a fake pilot. How are the two experiences similar and different? Which strategy do you think best suits Frank's character?
Essay Topic 2
In some ways, the plot of Catch Me If You Can is described as a spiral: the same series of events happens over and over. Describe the spiral of the plot. Use Frank's different cons to help with your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Frank's techniques for escaping when he is caught or when he faces a situation in which he is about to be caught. What strategies does he use? How does his research help him when he needs to make an escape?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)