|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first victim of Frank's cons?
2. Why does Frank pretend to be a representative of Carib Air?
3. What does Frank tell the Pan Am stores clerk about what happens to his wings and hat emblem?
4. What con does Frank commit at the very beginning of the book?
5. How does Frank handle the questions about his trip to Dallas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank feel about not being entrusted with any actual legal work?
2. Why do you think Frank thinks it is important never to wear his uniform around his apartment building?
3. Describe Frank's appearance.
4. How does Frank test his con before actually deadheading on a flight?
5. How does Frank's credit card scheme work?
6. Do you think that Frank wants to pose as a pilot only because he wants to cash bad checks? Or is there some other reason? Please explain.
7. What are the drawbacks, for Frank, of working as a doctor?
8. What changes happen at home while Frank is away at the reformatory?
9. Frank manages to avoid being caught for several years. Imagine, though, that he is caught. How do you think he is caught earlier? How much of his good fortune is luck and how much is skill?
10. First Frank poses as a pilot, then as a pediatrician. Do you see a pattern in his choices of role? Why do you think Frank chooses the roles that he does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Frank able to forge so many checks? Describe his methods. Then reflect on how banks might be able to protect themselves against other con artists using Frank Abegnale's methodology. Explain what strategies you think banks and other financial institutions are able to use to protect themselves.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the research process Frank uses when he begins each new role. How is the process similar each time? How important do you think Frank's research is in keeping him from being caught? Explain your answer. Be sure to include the research Frank does on being a pilot, doctor, lawyer, and university professor.
Essay Topic 3
Frank's career as a criminal occurs before law enforcement agencies have computers that are linked together. Do you think that Frank is able to commit the same crimes if he starts again today? How do you think technology affects his criminal career?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)