|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From the tone of the first chapter, how does Frank feels about the choices he makes?
(a) He dreams about other paths he takes.
(b) He deeply regrets ever turning to crime.
(c) He feels ashamed about betraying his father's trust.
(d) He is proud of his resourcefulness.
2. Why does Frank have a checking account?
(a) His father sets one up for him a year earlier.
(b) He starts his own account when he gets his first job.
(c) He has to have a checking account to get a job.
(d) He never has a checking account; he only pretends he does.
3. What incident scares Frank into thinking about resigning?
(a) A nurse becomes suspicious of him.
(b) He doesn't know what to do for a blue baby.
(c) He becomes faint at the sight of blood.
(d) He gets bored with the practice of medicine.
4. Why does Frank feel safe from the law while he is working as an attorney?
(a) Because he does not pass any phony checks in almost two years.
(b) Because he no longer lives in New Orleans or Atlanta.
(c) Because he thinks that the FBI forgets all about him by now.
(d) Because he does not think the FBI thinks to look for him in the Attorney General's office.
5. Which of the following does NOT help Frank to avoid being caught by the FBI while he is living in Atlanta?
(a) Frank does not need to cash any fake checks.
(b) Frank researches his new role carefully.
(c) The FBI are looking in the wrong city.
(d) The FBI are looking for a fake pilot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Frank give the state's attorney's office for his decision to stop working as a pilot?
2. What con does Frank commit at the very beginning of the book?
3. Why do the hospital doctors and staff think that Frank is very committed to his education?
4. How does Frank prepare to teach sociology courses?
5. How does Frank prove that he really is employed by Pan Am?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking back on his pilot con as he writes the book, do you think that Frank regrets his actions? Why or why not?
2. What legitimate use can Frank make of his imagination and ability to do research?
3. Is Frank well-respected by his new boss in the state's attorney's office?
4. How does Frank's father feel about Frank?
5. How does Frank rely on Pan Am to help him?
6. Why do you think Frank thinks it is important never to wear his uniform around his apartment building?
7. How does Frank manage to escape the New Orleans police?
8. Frank manages to avoid being caught for several years. Imagine, though, that he is caught. How do you think he is caught earlier? How much of his good fortune is luck and how much is skill?
9. How does his job as a doctor fit into Frank's plans for living in Atlanta?
10. Why does Frank need money in order to pursue his interest in girls?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)