|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank's supervisor at the Attorney General's office treat him?
(a) Like a secretary.
(b) Like a future politician.
(c) Like a competent attorney.
(d) Like a gopher.
2. What mistake does Frank's father have expunged from Frank's record?
(a) Truancy from school.
(b) Forging a check.
(c) His credit card scheme.
(d) His arrest for stealing a car.
3. What impression might a reader form about Frank's character from the first chapter?
(a) He likes to find creative ways to avoid following the rules.
(b) He likes to follow the rules and play by the book.
(c) He is very greedy and dreams of having many possessions.
(d) He does not like to have to think anything through.
4. Why does Frank finally leave the hospital?
(a) He is afraid that he is responsible for a child's death.
(b) He decides that his salary at the hospital is not enough to live on.
(c) The hospital administrator finally locates a permanent replacement.
(d) His cover is blown and he is discovered.
5. What con does Frank commit at the very beginning of the book?
(a) He forges a check.
(b) He impersonates an airline pilot.
(c) He tricks the gas station attendant.
(d) He takes a job as a substitute teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the hospital doctors and staff think that Frank is very committed to his education?
2. How does Frank find a place to stay after he runs away?
3. What does Frank give as his address when he stays at hotels?
4. How does Frank earn a living when he first runs away from home?
5. How does Frank add to his university lectures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Frank manage to fool everyone in his new position as a lawyer?
2. Describe Frank's method for finding out the things he needs to know.
3. What skills do you think Frank needs to have in order to pass himself off as a pilot?
4. How does Frank's father feel about Frank?
5. Why do you think Frank thinks it is important never to wear his uniform around his apartment building?
6. Is Frank well-respected by his new boss in the state's attorney's office?
7. First Frank poses as a pilot, then as a pediatrician. Do you see a pattern in his choices of role? Why do you think Frank chooses the roles that he does?
8. How do changes in technology make Frank's con harder to pull off today?
9. How does Frank rely on Pan Am to help him?
10. What is the overall tone of Chapter One, "The Fledgling"?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)