|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank's father's financial situation change during the first chapter?
(a) He leaves his job as a businessman and becomes a politician.
(b) He loses his job and is unemployed.
(c) He goes from being a businessman to being a postal clerk.
(d) He rises from his job as a postal clerk to become a businessman.
2. Why is it lucky for Frank that he decides to buy a car?
(a) Because now he can travel without having to deadhead his way across the country.
(b) Because now he can go out on dates.
(c) Because the FBI are tracking him through rental cars that he abandons at airports.
(d) Because now he has a quick way to leave any location if he needs to.
3. Where does Frank get the Pan Am logo for his I.D. card?
(a) He gets it from the company that makes the I.D. cards.
(b) He draws it himself and puts it on his card.
(c) He takes it off a model airplane from a hobby shop.
(d) He takes it from a Pan Am brochure.
4. How does Frank manage to pass the bar exam?
(a) He studies hard and takes it three times.
(b) He doesn't pass the exam, but he forges documents showing that he does.
(c) He has someone else take the exam for him.
(d) He gets a copy of the exam and cheats.
5. Why does Frank think he doesn't get in much trouble if he is caught?
(a) He is still a juvenile.
(b) He does not steal very much money.
(c) He does not realize what he does is illegal.
(d) He does not committed a violent crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank do if he suspects the police are starting to catch up with him?
2. What does Frank decide to do to make it possible for him to cash more bad checks?
3. Why does Frank have a checking account?
4. How does Frank test out what he learns about airline terms and procedures?
5. Why do the hospital doctors and staff think that Frank is very committed to his education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking back on his pilot con as he writes the book, do you think that Frank regrets his actions? Why or why not?
2. How does Frank's credit card scheme work?
3. How does Frank test his con before actually deadheading on a flight?
4. How does Frank rely on Pan Am to help him?
5. Why do you think Frank thinks it is important never to wear his uniform around his apartment building?
6. How does his job as a doctor fit into Frank's plans for living in Atlanta?
7. What is the overall tone of Chapter One, "The Fledgling"?
8. Why do you think that Frank is concerned when the pilot of the flight he is on does not let him listen to conversations with the tower on a courtesy headset?
9. What are the drawbacks, for Frank, of working as a doctor?
10. How do changes in technology make Frank's con harder to pull off today?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)