|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank finally leave the hospital?
(a) He is afraid that he is responsible for a child's death.
(b) His cover is blown and he is discovered.
(c) The hospital administrator finally locates a permanent replacement.
(d) He decides that his salary at the hospital is not enough to live on.
2. How does Frank avoid leaving a trail at his apartment building?
(a) He pays his rent with a nonexistent checking account.
(b) He pays cash and never wears his uniform there.
(c) He uses money orders and cashier's checks.
(d) He never pays his rent but moves out when the rent is due.
3. Why does Frank accept the job as a supervising resident, even though he knows that he is not qualified to practice medicine?
(a) He thinks that he learns the job as he goes along by watching the interns.
(b) He thinks he knows enough about medicine to fake it.
(c) He needs the money while he is living in Atlanta.
(d) The hospital tells him he does not actually have to practice medicine.
4. Why can't Frank earn a decent living at an ordinary job?
(a) He is not good at learning new things.
(b) He is too young to get a good job.
(c) He is a wanted criminal.
(d) He never gets his high school diploma.
5. Why does Frank have a checking account?
(a) He has to have a checking account to get a job.
(b) His father sets one up for him a year earlier.
(c) He never has a checking account; he only pretends he does.
(d) He starts his own account when he gets his first job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frank forced to pose as a lawyer?
2. Why doesn't Frank worry that the hotels may call the police?
3. Why does Frank decide to live with his father?
4. What does Frank do when he is released from the police station in New Orleans?
5. How does Frank earn a living when he first runs away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Looking back on his pilot con as he writes the book, do you think that Frank regrets his actions? Why or why not?
2. What legitimate use can Frank make of his imagination and ability to do research?
3. Do you think that Frank's con works today? Why or why not?
4. What skills do you think Frank needs to have in order to pass himself off as a pilot?
5. Why do you think that presenting himself as a jokester helps Frank to be accepted and look as though he knows what he is doing in the hospital?
6. Why does Frank feel safe perpetuating his scams? Why do you think he is not more worried about being caught?
7. Why do you think Frank gives different names to different stewardesses?
8. Do you think that Frank wants to pose as a pilot only because he wants to cash bad checks? Or is there some other reason? Please explain.
9. Describe Frank's appearance.
10. How do changes in technology make Frank's con harder to pull off today?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)