|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank decide to pose as a pediatrician?
(a) He wants to be a doctor.
(b) He knows the FBI is looking for a fake pilot.
(c) He hopes he can earn a good income as a doctor.
(d) He happens to meet a doctor who works at a local hospital.
2. Why does Frank have a checking account?
(a) His father sets one up for him a year earlier.
(b) He has to have a checking account to get a job.
(c) He starts his own account when he gets his first job.
(d) He never has a checking account; he only pretends he does.
3. How does Frank handle the questions about his trip to Dallas?
(a) He says that Pan Am is planning to start flying out of Dallas.
(b) He says he is going to fly a freight plane.
(c) He explains that he is going to Dallas to get more training.
(d) He refuses to answer any questions.
4. How does Frank manage to pass the bar exam?
(a) He has someone else take the exam for him.
(b) He doesn't pass the exam, but he forges documents showing that he does.
(c) He gets a copy of the exam and cheats.
(d) He studies hard and takes it three times.
5. Where does Frank get the Pan Am logo for his I.D. card?
(a) He takes it from a Pan Am brochure.
(b) He takes it off a model airplane from a hobby shop.
(c) He gets it from the company that makes the I.D. cards.
(d) He draws it himself and puts it on his card.
6. Who is the first victim of Frank's cons?
(a) His friends.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His teacher.
7. How does Frank find out about airline procedures and routines?
(a) He poses as a high school reporter and interviews a captain.
(b) He reads Pan Am's travel brochures.
(c) He starts his con and learns as he goes along.
(d) He hangs out in the airport and watches what flight crews do.
8. What technology, which does not exist at the time, might have stopped Frank's crime spree?
(a) Video surveillance cameras.
(c) Computer networking.
(d) Cell phones.
9. How does Frank get a Pan Am uniform?
(a) He calls Pan Am and tells them his uniform is stolen.
(b) He buys a generic uniform and sews stripes onto the cuffs.
(c) He steals one from a pilot's luggage.
(d) He buys one from a uniform supply store.
10. What skills must Frank possess in order to pass himself off as a doctor?
(a) The ability to remain unflustered in any situation.
(b) The ability to charm anyone he meets.
(c) The ability to learn new information quickly.
(d) The ability to fake paperwork.
11. Why does Frank agree to take the bar and start posing as a lawyer?
(a) He wants to be a lawyer.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) He is excited by the challenge.
(d) He cannot think of anything else to do.
12. What con does Frank commit at the very beginning of the book?
(a) He takes a job as a substitute teacher.
(b) He forges a check.
(c) He tricks the gas station attendant.
(d) He impersonates an airline pilot.
13. Why does Frank accept the job as a supervising resident, even though he knows that he is not qualified to practice medicine?
(a) The hospital tells him he does not actually have to practice medicine.
(b) He thinks that he learns the job as he goes along by watching the interns.
(c) He needs the money while he is living in Atlanta.
(d) He thinks he knows enough about medicine to fake it.
14. How does Frank prove that he really is employed by Pan Am?
(a) He shows the officers his phony I.D. and pilot's license.
(b) He gives the officers names of pilots and stewardesses who can vouch for him.
(c) He has the officers call Pan Am's business office and ask about him.
(d) He convinces the officers by talking and using terminology only a pilot would know.
15. How does Frank prepare to teach sociology courses?
(a) He makes it up as he goes along.
(b) He studies sociology in the library.
(c) He audits some courses taught by the head of the deparment.
(d) He takes courses at another university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank finally leave the hospital?
2. What is "deadheading"?
3. How does Frank get a temporary license to practice medicine in Georgia?
4. How does Frank get to know the staff at a pediatric hospital?
5. Why do the hospital doctors and staff think that Frank is very committed to his education?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)