|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Frank earn a decent living at an ordinary job?
(a) He is not good at learning new things.
(b) He never gets his high school diploma.
(c) He is a wanted criminal.
(d) He is too young to get a good job.
2. How does Frank find out that he does not yet know enough about being a pilot?
(a) He is stopped by airport security because his I.D. is not correct.
(b) He is not allowed to deadhead on flights at first.
(c) He tests his new identity before trying it out.
(d) He meets a TWA pilot who is suspicious of him.
3. How does Frank manage to keep track of the information he collects?
(a) He takes notes in a notebook.
(b) He uses an electronic organizer.
(c) He keeps it all in his head.
(d) He does not bother to keep track of it all.
4. What does Frank do for a living when he first moves into the River Bend complex?
(a) He immediately starts working as a pediatrician.
(b) He doesn't earn any money; he just enjoys the single life.
(c) He continues to pose as a pilot but stops deadheading.
(d) He gets a part-time job in a local warehouse.
5. Why does Frank enjoy attending a Methodist church?
(a) He is genuinely interested in becoming a Methodist.
(b) He hopes to meet women at church.
(c) He knows that many of his clients are Methodists.
(d) He has the chance to work with kids as a volunteer.
6. Why does Frank have a checking account?
(a) He has to have a checking account to get a job.
(b) His father sets one up for him a year earlier.
(c) He starts his own account when he gets his first job.
(d) He never has a checking account; he only pretends he does.
7. Why does Frank's plan work?
(a) Because it relies on the kindness of strangers.
(b) Because it is so brazen.
(c) Because it is so simple.
(d) Because it is impossible to detect.
8. What does Frank tell his girlfriend when he leaves town and abandons his job as a lawyer?
(a) That he is rehired by Pan Am.
(b) That he is transferred to another state.
(c) That he is leaving for good because the FBI is chasing him.
(d) That he is gone for a few weeks because of a death in the family.
9. Which of the following groups of people is NOT conned by Frank?
(a) Pilots and copilots.
(b) The police.
(d) Hotel staff.
10. How does Frank's father's financial situation change during the first chapter?
(a) He loses his job and is unemployed.
(b) He rises from his job as a postal clerk to become a businessman.
(c) He goes from being a businessman to being a postal clerk.
(d) He leaves his job as a businessman and becomes a politician.
11. What is "deadheading"?
(a) Getting a free ride in the cockpit of an airplane.
(b) Forging a check.
(c) Failing to pay a credit card bill.
(d) Tricking a teacher or school with a fake note.
12. From the tone of the first chapter, how does Frank feels about the choices he makes?
(a) He deeply regrets ever turning to crime.
(b) He is proud of his resourcefulness.
(c) He dreams about other paths he takes.
(d) He feels ashamed about betraying his father's trust.
13. How does Frank avoid leaving a trail at his apartment building?
(a) He uses money orders and cashier's checks.
(b) He pays his rent with a nonexistent checking account.
(c) He never pays his rent but moves out when the rent is due.
(d) He pays cash and never wears his uniform there.
14. What does Frank give as his address when he stays at hotels?
(a) He gives General Delivery, New York as his address.
(b) He lists Pan Am's address in New York.
(c) He makes up a phony address.
(d) He lists whatever hotel he stays at last.
15. How does Frank find out what a "blue baby" is?
(a) He asks a nurse.
(b) He figures it out when he sees the baby.
(c) He asks an intern.
(d) He checks his pocket medical dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he realizes that airline employees are suspicious of him, how does Frank gather more information about his role as a pilot?
2. Why does Frank end up leaving his job as an attorney?
3. What impression might a reader form about Frank's character from the first chapter?
4. What does Frank decide to do to make it possible for him to cash more bad checks?
5. How long does Frank usually stay in a new apartment?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)