|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank avoid leaving a trail at his apartment building?
(a) He pays cash and never wears his uniform there.
(b) He never pays his rent but moves out when the rent is due.
(c) He uses money orders and cashier's checks.
(d) He pays his rent with a nonexistent checking account.
2. How long does Frank usually stay in a new apartment?
(a) Long enough to throw the police off his trail.
(b) Long enough to finish a relationship with his current girlfriend.
(c) Long enough to have a new box of checks delivered to him.
(d) Long enough to wait until his next deadhead flight.
3. How does Frank find out about airline procedures and routines?
(a) He poses as a high school reporter and interviews a captain.
(b) He reads Pan Am's travel brochures.
(c) He hangs out in the airport and watches what flight crews do.
(d) He starts his con and learns as he goes along.
4. What impression might a reader form about Frank's character from the first chapter?
(a) He is very greedy and dreams of having many possessions.
(b) He does not like to have to think anything through.
(c) He likes to find creative ways to avoid following the rules.
(d) He likes to follow the rules and play by the book.
5. How does Frank add to his university lectures?
(a) He tells stories based on his own experiences.
(b) He goes to the library to find more information.
(c) He asks his students to tell stories from their experience.
(d) He makes up stories to illustrate points in the text.
6. What does Frank need to fill out in order to deadhead on a flight?
(a) A green slip.
(b) A pink slip.
(c) A blue slip.
(d) A red slip.
7. Why is it lucky for Frank that he decides to buy a car?
(a) Because the FBI are tracking him through rental cars that he abandons at airports.
(b) Because now he can travel without having to deadhead his way across the country.
(c) Because now he can go out on dates.
(d) Because now he has a quick way to leave any location if he needs to.
8. How does Frank manage to keep track of the information he collects?
(a) He keeps it all in his head.
(b) He takes notes in a notebook.
(c) He uses an electronic organizer.
(d) He does not bother to keep track of it all.
9. How does Frank find a place to stay after he runs away?
(a) He forges checks to pay for hotel rooms.
(b) He puts his apartment rent on his credit card bill.
(c) He convinces a friend's parents that he is an orphan.
(d) He becomes homeless and has to live on the streets.
10. What kind of a deal does Frank make with the gas station attendant?
(a) He charges tires, but sells them back to the gas station for less than they are worth.
(b) He works to pay for gas instead of paying for it with his credit card.
(c) He uses his credit card to pay back the money he owes.
(d) He uses his gas card to buy groceries and other items as well as gas.
11. How does Frank get a Pan Am uniform?
(a) He buys one from a uniform supply store.
(b) He calls Pan Am and tells them his uniform is stolen.
(c) He steals one from a pilot's luggage.
(d) He buys a generic uniform and sews stripes onto the cuffs.
12. What does Frank do if he suspects the police are starting to catch up with him?
(a) He gets a legitimate job for a while.
(b) He asks around to find out if anyone is looking for him.
(c) He stays with a girlfriend for a few days.
(d) He deadheads to another city.
13. How do the bill collector and Frank's father react when they find out he is running up thousands of dollars in charges that he cannot pay?
(a) They are understanding.
(b) They are distraught.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are disbelieving.
14. How does Frank pay for his hotel bill while he is traveling as a pilot?
(a) He uses a phony check.
(b) He uses a real check from an overdrawn account.
(c) He uses a Pan Am check that he forges.
(d) He has the hotels bill Pan Am for his rooms.
15. Where does Frank go when he leaves his job at the Attorney General's office?
(a) He goes to the Pacific Northwest.
(b) He goes West.
(c) He returns home to New York.
(d) He stays in the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skills does Frank have that serve him well if he goes back to school?
2. Why is Frank forced to pose as a lawyer?
3. What does Frank give as his address when he stays at hotels?
4. How does Frank find out that he does not yet know enough about being a pilot?
5. Why do the hospital doctors and staff think that Frank is very committed to his education?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)