|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "deadheading"?
(a) Getting a free ride in the cockpit of an airplane.
(b) Tricking a teacher or school with a fake note.
(c) Failing to pay a credit card bill.
(d) Forging a check.
2. How is Frank affected by his parents' divorce?
(a) His teachers feel sorry for him because of the divorce.
(b) His mother refuses to let Frank live with her.
(c) His siblings blame Frank for the divorce.
(d) His father tries to use Frank to woo his mother back.
3. How does Frank add to his university lectures?
(a) He asks his students to tell stories from their experience.
(b) He makes up stories to illustrate points in the text.
(c) He tells stories based on his own experiences.
(d) He goes to the library to find more information.
4. How does Frank pay for his hotel bill while he is traveling as a pilot?
(a) He uses a phony check.
(b) He uses a real check from an overdrawn account.
(c) He uses a Pan Am check that he forges.
(d) He has the hotels bill Pan Am for his rooms.
5. Why is it lucky for Frank that he decides to buy a car?
(a) Because now he can travel without having to deadhead his way across the country.
(b) Because now he can go out on dates.
(c) Because the FBI are tracking him through rental cars that he abandons at airports.
(d) Because now he has a quick way to leave any location if he needs to.
6. Why does Frank decide to stop posing as a pilot for a while?
(a) He wants to see what other professions he can pass himself off as.
(b) He is arrested in New Orleans for having suspicious credentials.
(c) One of his phony checks is not accepted when he tries to cash it.
(d) He is tired of flying around the country and wants to settle down.
7. How does Frank's father react to his reversal in fortune?
(a) He is determined to turn things around.
(b) He is philosophical about it.
(c) He is broken by it.
(d) He does not care one way or the other.
8. Which of the following does NOT help Frank to avoid being caught by the FBI while he is living in Atlanta?
(a) The FBI are looking in the wrong city.
(b) Frank researches his new role carefully.
(c) Frank does not need to cash any fake checks.
(d) The FBI are looking for a fake pilot.
9. What skills does Frank have that serve him well if he goes back to school?
10. How does Frank find out about airline procedures and routines?
(a) He poses as a high school reporter and interviews a captain.
(b) He reads Pan Am's travel brochures.
(c) He hangs out in the airport and watches what flight crews do.
(d) He starts his con and learns as he goes along.
11. Why does Frank agree to take the bar and start posing as a lawyer?
(a) He cannot think of anything else to do.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) He is excited by the challenge.
(d) He wants to be a lawyer.
12. Why does Frank decide to pose as a pediatrician?
(a) He hopes he can earn a good income as a doctor.
(b) He knows the FBI is looking for a fake pilot.
(c) He happens to meet a doctor who works at a local hospital.
(d) He wants to be a doctor.
13. Why can't Frank earn a decent living at an ordinary job?
(a) He never gets his high school diploma.
(b) He is too young to get a good job.
(c) He is a wanted criminal.
(d) He is not good at learning new things.
14. What does NOT make Frank nervous the first time he deadheads on a flight?
(a) Waiting while an airline employee calls the FAA tower.
(b) Trying to find the jumpseat in the cockpit.
(c) Having to present his pilot's license and I.D. card.
(d) Answering questions from the pilot and copilot during the flight.
15. Why does deadheading to Dallas give Frank a nervous moment?
(a) He learns that Pan Am does not fly out of Dallas.
(b) The stewardess asks if he knows a Pan Am pilot who she flies with.
(c) The Dallas FAA tower becomes suspicious of Frank.
(d) He does not know the answers to questions the pilots ask on the way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impression might a reader form about Frank's character from the first chapter?
2. Why is Frank so determined to raise money?
3. How does Frank's father's financial situation change during the first chapter?
4. Why does Frank decide to leave Atlanta?
5. What does Frank give as his address when he stays at hotels?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)