|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank pay for his hotel bill while he is traveling as a pilot?
(a) He uses a Pan Am check that he forges.
(b) He has the hotels bill Pan Am for his rooms.
(c) He uses a phony check.
(d) He uses a real check from an overdrawn account.
2. What does Frank do for a living when he first moves into the River Bend complex?
(a) He gets a part-time job in a local warehouse.
(b) He doesn't earn any money; he just enjoys the single life.
(c) He continues to pose as a pilot but stops deadheading.
(d) He immediately starts working as a pediatrician.
3. How does Frank manage to pass the bar exam?
(a) He has someone else take the exam for him.
(b) He doesn't pass the exam, but he forges documents showing that he does.
(c) He gets a copy of the exam and cheats.
(d) He studies hard and takes it three times.
4. Why does Frank end up leaving his job as an attorney?
(a) He meets another Harvard man who becomes suspicious.
(b) He gets tired of being treated like a gopher.
(c) He misses traveling around the country as a pilot.
(d) He decides that it is time to move on in case the FBI is catching up.
5. Why does Frank feel safe from the law while he is working as an attorney?
(a) Because he no longer lives in New Orleans or Atlanta.
(b) Because he does not think the FBI thinks to look for him in the Attorney General's office.
(c) Because he does not pass any phony checks in almost two years.
(d) Because he thinks that the FBI forgets all about him by now.
6. What event in his personal life serves as the trigger for Frank to become a juvenile delinquent?
(a) His parents' divorce.
(b) Getting his first credit card.
(c) Moving in with his father.
(d) His first arrest.
7. How does Frank's father react to his reversal in fortune?
(a) He is determined to turn things around.
(b) He is broken by it.
(c) He does not care one way or the other.
(d) He is philosophical about it.
8. What does Frank's ability to pass the bar exam prove?
(a) He is smart enough to finish school and get a good job.
(b) Anyone can be a lawyer.
(c) It is easy to cheat on the bar exam.
(d) Frank should stay in his job as an attorney.
9. Why does deadheading to Dallas give Frank a nervous moment?
(a) The stewardess asks if he knows a Pan Am pilot who she flies with.
(b) He learns that Pan Am does not fly out of Dallas.
(c) He does not know the answers to questions the pilots ask on the way.
(d) The Dallas FAA tower becomes suspicious of Frank.
10. What is Frank's biggest complaint about the reformatory?
(a) There is nothing to do for fun.
(b) His freedom is restricted.
(c) He misses his family.
(d) There are no girls.
11. What technology, which does not exist at the time, might have stopped Frank's crime spree?
(a) Computer networking.
(b) Video surveillance cameras.
(d) Cell phones.
12. How does Frank find a place to stay after he runs away?
(a) He puts his apartment rent on his credit card bill.
(b) He convinces a friend's parents that he is an orphan.
(c) He forges checks to pay for hotel rooms.
(d) He becomes homeless and has to live on the streets.
13. What incident scares Frank into thinking about resigning?
(a) He doesn't know what to do for a blue baby.
(b) He gets bored with the practice of medicine.
(c) A nurse becomes suspicious of him.
(d) He becomes faint at the sight of blood.
14. How do the bill collector and Frank's father react when they find out he is running up thousands of dollars in charges that he cannot pay?
(a) They are distraught.
(b) They are understanding.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They are disbelieving.
15. What impression might a reader form about Frank's character from the first chapter?
(a) He is very greedy and dreams of having many possessions.
(b) He likes to follow the rules and play by the book.
(c) He likes to find creative ways to avoid following the rules.
(d) He does not like to have to think anything through.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank earn the respect of the hospital's interns?
2. How does Frank earn a living when he first runs away from home?
3. How does Frank prepare to teach sociology courses?
4. How does Frank test out what he learns about airline terms and procedures?
5. Why doesn't Frank worry that the hotels may call the police?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)