|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank leave his $1.50/hour job?
(a) He is afraid his boss finds out he is forging checks.
(b) He does not like working for a living.
(c) He hopes to find a job where he meets more girls.
(d) He cannot live on that amount of money.
2. How does Frank's father react to his reversal in fortune?
(a) He is determined to turn things around.
(b) He does not care one way or the other.
(c) He is broken by it.
(d) He is philosophical about it.
3. What skills does Frank have that serve him well if he goes back to school?
4. How does Frank prepare to teach sociology courses?
(a) He takes courses at another university.
(b) He makes it up as he goes along.
(c) He studies sociology in the library.
(d) He audits some courses taught by the head of the deparment.
5. Where does a deadheading pilot sit on a plane?
(a) In a jumpseat in the cockpit.
(b) In the copilot's seat.
(c) In an extra seat in first class.
(d) In an extra seat in coach.
6. Why does Frank want to deadhead on a flight out of New York City?
(a) He suspects the police are looking for him.
(b) He wants to see the world.
(c) He has to in order to be believable as a pilot.
(d) He wants to visit relatives in another city.
7. What does Frank tell the Pan Am stores clerk about what happens to his wings and hat emblem?
(a) This is his first pair.
(b) His two-year-old took them.
(c) He loses them.
(d) They are stolen.
8. How does Frank avoid leaving a trail at his apartment building?
(a) He pays his rent with a nonexistent checking account.
(b) He never pays his rent but moves out when the rent is due.
(c) He pays cash and never wears his uniform there.
(d) He uses money orders and cashier's checks.
9. What technology, which does not exist at the time, might have stopped Frank's crime spree?
(a) Video surveillance cameras.
(b) Cell phones.
(d) Computer networking.
10. Where does Frank get the Pan Am logo for his I.D. card?
(a) He takes it off a model airplane from a hobby shop.
(b) He gets it from the company that makes the I.D. cards.
(c) He draws it himself and puts it on his card.
(d) He takes it from a Pan Am brochure.
11. What is "deadheading"?
(a) Forging a check.
(b) Getting a free ride in the cockpit of an airplane.
(c) Tricking a teacher or school with a fake note.
(d) Failing to pay a credit card bill.
12. How does Frank's supervisor at the Attorney General's office treat him?
(a) Like a secretary.
(b) Like a future politician.
(c) Like a gopher.
(d) Like a competent attorney.
13. Why does Frank finally leave the hospital?
(a) He decides that his salary at the hospital is not enough to live on.
(b) He is afraid that he is responsible for a child's death.
(c) The hospital administrator finally locates a permanent replacement.
(d) His cover is blown and he is discovered.
14. From the tone of the first chapter, how does Frank feels about the choices he makes?
(a) He is proud of his resourcefulness.
(b) He feels ashamed about betraying his father's trust.
(c) He deeply regrets ever turning to crime.
(d) He dreams about other paths he takes.
15. How does Frank prove that he really is employed by Pan Am?
(a) He convinces the officers by talking and using terminology only a pilot would know.
(b) He shows the officers his phony I.D. and pilot's license.
(c) He gives the officers names of pilots and stewardesses who can vouch for him.
(d) He has the officers call Pan Am's business office and ask about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank decide to live with his father?
2. Which of the following groups of people is NOT conned by Frank?
3. How old is Frank when he leaves home?
4. What does Frank do when he is released from the police station in New Orleans?
5. Why does Frank think he doesn't get in much trouble if he is caught?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)