|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank accept the job as a supervising resident, even though he knows that he is not qualified to practice medicine?
(a) He thinks he knows enough about medicine to fake it.
(b) The hospital tells him he does not actually have to practice medicine.
(c) He needs the money while he is living in Atlanta.
(d) He thinks that he learns the job as he goes along by watching the interns.
2. What is "deadheading"?
(a) Failing to pay a credit card bill.
(b) Tricking a teacher or school with a fake note.
(c) Getting a free ride in the cockpit of an airplane.
(d) Forging a check.
3. Why does Frank end up leaving his job as an attorney?
(a) He misses traveling around the country as a pilot.
(b) He decides that it is time to move on in case the FBI is catching up.
(c) He meets another Harvard man who becomes suspicious.
(d) He gets tired of being treated like a gopher.
4. When he realizes that airline employees are suspicious of him, how does Frank gather more information about his role as a pilot?
(a) He goes to the library.
(b) He reads airline magazines.
(c) He uses a method of trial and error.
(d) He conducts more interviews.
5. What skills does Frank have that serve him well if he goes back to school?
6. Why does Frank's plan work?
(a) Because it is so brazen.
(b) Because it is so simple.
(c) Because it is impossible to detect.
(d) Because it relies on the kindness of strangers.
7. Which of the following does NOT help Frank to avoid being caught by the FBI while he is living in Atlanta?
(a) The FBI are looking for a fake pilot.
(b) Frank does not need to cash any fake checks.
(c) The FBI are looking in the wrong city.
(d) Frank researches his new role carefully.
8. How does Frank get a Pan Am uniform?
(a) He calls Pan Am and tells them his uniform is stolen.
(b) He buys a generic uniform and sews stripes onto the cuffs.
(c) He buys one from a uniform supply store.
(d) He steals one from a pilot's luggage.
9. What does Frank do if he suspects the police are starting to catch up with him?
(a) He stays with a girlfriend for a few days.
(b) He gets a legitimate job for a while.
(c) He deadheads to another city.
(d) He asks around to find out if anyone is looking for him.
10. What impression might a reader form about Frank's character from the first chapter?
(a) He is very greedy and dreams of having many possessions.
(b) He likes to find creative ways to avoid following the rules.
(c) He likes to follow the rules and play by the book.
(d) He does not like to have to think anything through.
11. How does Frank feel about being sent to reform school?
(a) He uses it as a chance to learn more about being a con artist.
(b) He feels it is unfair because his father forgives him.
(c) He feels angry and tries to escape.
(d) He likes the reform school better than living at home.
12. What does Frank tell his girlfriend when he leaves town and abandons his job as a lawyer?
(a) That he is gone for a few weeks because of a death in the family.
(b) That he is leaving for good because the FBI is chasing him.
(c) That he is rehired by Pan Am.
(d) That he is transferred to another state.
13. How does Frank get a temporary license to practice medicine in Georgia?
(a) He says that he has a license but is never asked to show it.
(b) He is interviewed by a panel of doctors.
(c) He copies a license belonging to another doctor.
(d) He forges one himself.
14. How does Frank's father react to his reversal in fortune?
(a) He does not care one way or the other.
(b) He is broken by it.
(c) He is philosophical about it.
(d) He is determined to turn things around.
15. Why does Frank tell the sales representative that he needs to order 200 I.D. cards when he really only needs one for himself?
(a) He plans to sell ID cards to other criminals.
(b) So that the salesman believes him.
(c) At first he thinks he needs 200 cards.
(d) He wants to keep a few extras just in case.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank later realize that it is just as well that he leaves Atlanta when he does?
2. Why does Frank want to deadhead on a flight out of New York City?
3. What does Frank need to fill out in order to deadhead on a flight?
4. What does Frank tell the Pan Am stores clerk about what happens to his wings and hat emblem?
5. Why do the hospital doctors and staff think that Frank is very committed to his education?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)