|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tycho believes Angela is out of his league because she is beautiful, and he doesn't think he is very attractive. His mother tells him that beauty is only skin deep. What is Tycho's response?
2. When Roland finally agrees to speak with Angela, how does he refer to her?
3. Tycho tries to tend to the accident victim's injuries. How?
4. What does Tycho do while Angela is in the bathroom?
5. Roland seems to know that Angela is shocked by what he has told her. What does he say to try to make her feel better?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Angela and Tycho find when they hurry to the scene of the accident?
2. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
3. When Tycho learns what has happened in Roland's office, he tries to comfort Angela. How? And how does Angela respond?
4. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
5. What does Angela say and do that illustrates that she has changed her mind about Tycho and wants to change the nature of their relationship?
6. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
7. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
8. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
9. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
10. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 7, it is clear that Dido would prefer that Angela date Tycho, rather than Robin, because she considers Tycho safer. Do you consider this an odd preference, given what you know about the way that Dido chooses to live her life?
Essay Topic 2
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)