|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tycho and Angela talk over the events of the last few days, they make a decision about their relationship. What do they decide?
2. Angela tells Tycho about her evening. She says she has been at a bar called ____.
3. Despite her anger with Dido about Roland in Chapter 13, Angela bursts into tears when she finds out _____.
4. Tycho's mother knows Tycho has a crush on Angela. What does she tell him?
5. In Chapter 12, which character says, "Chance favors the prepared mind"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tycho learns, during his conversation on the phone with Dido, that Angela has not returned home, what does his reaction tell us about his perception of Angela?
2. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
3. When Tycho learns what has happened in Roland's office, he tries to comfort Angela. How? And how does Angela respond?
4. When Angela and Tycho wake up in the morning after having spent the night together, why does Angela become upset?
5. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
6. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
7. What happens to cut short Tycho's recounting of the accident to Richard?
8. While Angela and Tycho are tending to Jerry's injuries, who arrives on the scene? Why is Angela relieved at this arrival?
9. Describe the conversation that takes place between Angela and her grandmother in Chapter 15?
10. After Angela has taken a shower and borrowed some of Tycho's clean clothes, she tells him where she has been since they parted at Roland's office. What does she say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, it is clear that Dido would prefer that Angela date Tycho, rather than Robin, because she considers Tycho safer. Do you consider this an odd preference, given what you know about the way that Dido chooses to live her life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)