|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Angela was at the bar, what was she drinking?
2. Tycho's mother expresses her opinion of Angela. What does she say?
3. When Tycho arrives home from his outing with Angela, he finds his family discussing ____.
4. Before the surprise phone call Angela receives, Dido has started to tell her about the past. What has she learned about the caller?
5. As Tycho hangs up the phone after the late night call while his family is at the party, what startles him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
2. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
3. Describe what happens when Angela first appears in Tycho's house at midnight.
4. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
5. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
6. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
7. Once Tycho's family has gone to Africa's party, he decides to call Angela. Describe what happens when he does.
8. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
9. What happens to cut short Tycho's recounting of the accident to Richard?
10. After Angela and Tycho drag Jerry from the car, what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, Tycho's family is introduced. Describe the family dynamic of the Potters and the role each of the family members plays within this dynamic. How do you think having this particular family has influenced Tycho's personality and temperament?
Essay Topic 2
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
Essay Topic 3
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)