|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it is clear that Tycho is going to try to help the person trapped in the car, how does Angela initially react?
2. Who interrupts the discussion between Angela and Roland?
3. When Tycho finally gets home at the end of the book, who does he meet as he is coming through the gate to his house?
4. In Chapter 11, what book is Tycho reading?
5. When she suddenly appears at his house, Angela asks Tycho if she can ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. As Angela and Tycho walking toward her house, describe what occurs?
2. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
3. Once Tycho's family has gone to Africa's party, he decides to call Angela. Describe what happens when he does.
4. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
5. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
6. After their night together, Tycho is a changed man. Describe how Angela responds to the apparent changes in him?
7. After Angela and Tycho drag Jerry from the car, what do they do?
8. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
9. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
10. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
Essay Topic 2
When Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her, she is both shocked and very angry, and tells Dido that she does not want any parents at all. What underlies her anger? Is her reaction justified? Is she reacting in an immature way? Support your opinion with reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)