|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the events of the night before, why does Tycho seem jubilant.
2. At the end of Chapter 9, Angela refuses to take a ride home with Tycho. He gives her $10 and leaves. Where does he go?
3. Who interrupts the discussion between Angela and Roland?
4. When it is clear that Tycho is going to try to help the person trapped in the car, how does Angela initially react?
5. While Tycho's family is at the party, who telephones the house near midnight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
2. Angela is very upset by what Roland tells her in his office, and she decides to phone Dido and confront her. What does she tell Dido on the phone?
3. After Angela has taken a shower and borrowed some of Tycho's clean clothes, she tells him where she has been since they parted at Roland's office. What does she say?
4. Once Tycho's family has gone to Africa's party, he decides to call Angela. Describe what happens when he does.
5. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
6. What do Angela and Tycho find when they hurry to the scene of the accident?
7. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
8. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
9. Describe the conversation that takes place between Angela and her grandmother in Chapter 15?
10. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
Essay Topic 2
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)