|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dido asks Tycho a pointed question during their telephone call. What does she ask?
2. When Angela hears the truth about the relationship between her mother and father, what does she realize?
3. When Angela tells Roland she wants nothing from him, he hints that ______.
4. When Angela calls Dido in Chapter 13, Angela is upset because _____.
5. Tycho's mother expresses her opinion of Angela. What does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Angela and Tycho walking toward her house, describe what occurs?
2. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
3. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
4. When Tycho learns what has happened in Roland's office, he tries to comfort Angela. How? And how does Angela respond?
5. What does Angela say and do that illustrates that she has changed her mind about Tycho and wants to change the nature of their relationship?
6. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
7. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
8. Describe the conversation that takes place between Angela and her grandmother in Chapter 15?
9. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
10. After Angela and Tycho drag Jerry from the car, what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roland clearly believes that he does not owe Angela anything or have any responsibility toward her. Is he correct in this? What does this attitude tell you about the kind of person he is at heart?
Essay Topic 2
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Angela enlists Tycho's help to carry off her plan to confront her father. While he waits for her in the car, he reads a book. What is the theme in the book that has caught his attention? And what is the significance of that theme to the events of the novel?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)