|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the events of the night before, why does Tycho seem jubilant.
2. In Chapter 16, Angela receives a surprise telephone call from _____.
3. When Tycho arrives home from his outing with Angela, he finds his family discussing ____.
4. Before Tycho and Angela leave for her house in Chapter 13, what do they do?
5. When Tycho hears what has happened in Roland's office, how does he try to comfort Angela?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
2. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
3. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
4. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
5. After Angela has taken a shower and borrowed some of Tycho's clean clothes, she tells him where she has been since they parted at Roland's office. What does she say?
6. What happens to cut short Tycho's recounting of the accident to Richard?
7. During her confrontation with her father, Angela learns the extent to which Dido has fabricated the story of her birth and Roland's attitude. What does she learn?
8. Dido finally tells Angela the whole story of the relationship between her and Roland. What does Angela find out?
9. Angela is very upset by what Roland tells her in his office, and she decides to phone Dido and confront her. What does she tell Dido on the phone?
10. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 2
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)