|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard and Tycho's father arrives home, they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about?
2. Tycho tries to tend to the accident victim's injuries. How?
3. Roland's comment that he is not the only red-haired man in town is meant to imply what?
4. Who do Angela and Tycho discover sitting in the brush beside the car?
5. When Angela tells Roland she wants nothing from him, he hints that ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
2. What do Angela and Tycho find when they hurry to the scene of the accident?
3. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
4. After Angela and Tycho drag Jerry from the car, what do they do?
5. Describe what happens when Angela first appears in Tycho's house at midnight.
6. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
7. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
8. During her confrontation with her father, Angela learns the extent to which Dido has fabricated the story of her birth and Roland's attitude. What does she learn?
9. Describe the conversation that takes place between Angela and her grandmother in Chapter 15?
10. What does Angela say and do that illustrates that she has changed her mind about Tycho and wants to change the nature of their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her, she is both shocked and very angry, and tells Dido that she does not want any parents at all. What underlies her anger? Is her reaction justified? Is she reacting in an immature way? Support your opinion with reference to the text.
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)