|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tycho tells his mother he doesn't want to go to the party. What excuse does he first give?
2. While Angela was at the bar, what was she drinking?
3. Who arrives just as Angela and Tycho are preparing to leave the accident scene in search of a phone?
4. Dido asks Tycho a pointed question during their telephone call. What does she ask?
5. In Chapter 12, which character says, "Chance favors the prepared mind"?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Angela and Tycho are tending to Jerry's injuries, who arrives on the scene? Why is Angela relieved at this arrival?
2. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
3. Dido finally tells Angela the whole story of the relationship between her and Roland. What does Angela find out?
4. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
5. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
6. When Angela and Tycho wake up in the morning after having spent the night together, why does Angela become upset?
7. As Angela and Tycho walking toward her house, describe what occurs?
8. What does Angela say and do that illustrates that she has changed her mind about Tycho and wants to change the nature of their relationship?
9. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
10. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the closing chapter of the novel, Dido has finally told Angela the whole truth about Roland; Tycho has become a hero, and Angela and Tycho have embarked on a new stage in their relationship. Both Angela and Tycho have grown up in different ways. Describe how their respective experiences throughout the novel have helped them to become more mature.
Essay Topic 2
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Seeing how upset Angela is at the meeting with Roland in the coffee shop, and his rejection of her, Tycho advises her to write off her father altogether. Based on what we know of Tycho from the text, what do you think are his motives for giving this advice?
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)