|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is trapped inside the car that has tumbled off the bridge?
2. In Chapter 16, Angela receives a surprise telephone call from _____.
3. Why is Dido suspicious when Angela goes out to meet Tycho as he drives up the hill toward her house?
4. Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her. What does Roland tell her that reveals the lie?
5. Before the surprise phone call Angela receives, Dido has started to tell her about the past. What has she learned about the caller?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
2. Angela is very upset by what Roland tells her in his office, and she decides to phone Dido and confront her. What does she tell Dido on the phone?
3. After Angela and Tycho drag Jerry from the car, what do they do?
4. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
5. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
6. When Angela and Tycho wake up in the morning after having spent the night together, why does Angela become upset?
7. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
8. Describe the conversation that takes place between Angela and her grandmother in Chapter 15?
9. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
10. Dido finally tells Angela the whole story of the relationship between her and Roland. What does Angela find out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)