|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. IN Chapter 11, why did Dido call Tycho earlier in the day?
2. When Tycho tells his mother that he gave Angela $10 rather than buy a gift for the party, how does his mother react?
3. As Chapter 15 ends, who turns up at Tycho's house?
4. When Angela sees Dido after the accident, she is described as overcome with emotion. Why?
5. As Tycho and Angela talk over the events of the last few days, they make a decision about their relationship. What do they decide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
2. Angela is very upset by what Roland tells her in his office, and she decides to phone Dido and confront her. What does she tell Dido on the phone?
3. Describe what happens when Angela first appears in Tycho's house at midnight.
4. When Tycho learns what has happened in Roland's office, he tries to comfort Angela. How? And how does Angela respond?
5. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
6. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
7. After Angela has taken a shower and borrowed some of Tycho's clean clothes, she tells him where she has been since they parted at Roland's office. What does she say?
8. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
9. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
10. During her confrontation with her father, Angela learns the extent to which Dido has fabricated the story of her birth and Roland's attitude. What does she learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her, she is both shocked and very angry, and tells Dido that she does not want any parents at all. What underlies her anger? Is her reaction justified? Is she reacting in an immature way? Support your opinion with reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
The accident involving the Cherrys seems to be a turning point for Angela. Explain why this incident has such a strong impact on Angela and how it is instrumental in changing her attitude not only toward Dido but also toward Roland.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way in which Dido is introduced in the novel and what this initial view of her tells the reader about her nature, character, and personality. Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)