|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 9, Angela refuses to take a ride home with Tycho. He gives her $10 and leaves. Where does he go?
2. Despite her anger with Dido about Roland in Chapter 13, Angela bursts into tears when she finds out _____.
3. When Tycho's family goes to the party, he is home alone and suddenly feels ____.
4. Early in the novel, Tycho made a prediction, which he now learns has come true. What did he predict?
5. When Roland finally agrees to speak with Angela, how does he refer to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Angela and Tycho wake up in the morning after having spent the night together, why does Angela become upset?
2. Describe what happens when Angela first appears in Tycho's house at midnight.
3. After their night together, Tycho is a changed man. Describe how Angela responds to the apparent changes in him?
4. Describe the conversation that takes place between Angela and her grandmother in Chapter 15?
5. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
6. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
7. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
8. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
9. While Angela and Tycho are tending to Jerry's injuries, who arrives on the scene? Why is Angela relieved at this arrival?
10. What does Angela say and do that illustrates that she has changed her mind about Tycho and wants to change the nature of their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the closing chapter of the novel, Dido has finally told Angela the whole truth about Roland; Tycho has become a hero, and Angela and Tycho have embarked on a new stage in their relationship. Both Angela and Tycho have grown up in different ways. Describe how their respective experiences throughout the novel have helped them to become more mature.
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)