|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Tycho and Angela leave for her house in Chapter 13, what do they do?
2. Tycho believes Angela is out of his league because she is beautiful, and he doesn't think he is very attractive. His mother tells him that beauty is only skin deep. What is Tycho's response?
3. Roland seems to know that Angela is shocked by what he has told her. What does he say to try to make her feel better?
4. How does Chapter 12 end?
5. Angela tells Tycho about her evening. She says she has been at a bar called ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. After Angela has taken a shower and borrowed some of Tycho's clean clothes, she tells him where she has been since they parted at Roland's office. What does she say?
2. What do Angela and Tycho find when they hurry to the scene of the accident?
3. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
4. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
5. After their night together, Tycho is a changed man. Describe how Angela responds to the apparent changes in him?
6. Dido finally tells Angela the whole story of the relationship between her and Roland. What does Angela find out?
7. While Angela and Tycho are tending to Jerry's injuries, who arrives on the scene? Why is Angela relieved at this arrival?
8. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
9. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
10. Angela is very upset by what Roland tells her in his office, and she decides to phone Dido and confront her. What does she tell Dido on the phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)