|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Angela and Tycho arrive at the scene of the car accident, who asks for their help?
2. Although the midnight encounter with Angela has changed Tycho in some ways, Chapter 13 demonstrates that he is still his usual practical self. How?
3. Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her. What does Roland tell her that reveals the lie?
4. Roland seems to know that Angela is shocked by what he has told her. What does he say to try to make her feel better?
5. When she suddenly appears at his house, Angela asks Tycho if she can ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. After Angela has taken a shower and borrowed some of Tycho's clean clothes, she tells him where she has been since they parted at Roland's office. What does she say?
2. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
3. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
4. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
5. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
6. Once Tycho's family has gone to Africa's party, he decides to call Angela. Describe what happens when he does.
7. Describe what happens when Angela first appears in Tycho's house at midnight.
8. As Angela and Tycho walking toward her house, describe what occurs?
9. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
10. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
Essay Topic 3
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)