|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, it is clear that until now Tycho has been _______.
2. What do Angela and Tycho notice about the state of the car that was involved in the accident?
3. Dido finally tells Angela the truth about how she and Roland parted. What does she say?
4. How does Chapter 12 end?
5. Once he gets off the phone with Dido, Tycho goes outside. What is he planning to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
2. What do Angela and Tycho find when they hurry to the scene of the accident?
3. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
4. While Angela and Tycho are tending to Jerry's injuries, who arrives on the scene? Why is Angela relieved at this arrival?
5. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
6. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
7. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
8. As Angela and Tycho walking toward her house, describe what occurs?
9. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
10. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way in which Dido is introduced in the novel and what this initial view of her tells the reader about her nature, character, and personality. Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)