|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tycho respond to Angela's plan regarding her father in the way he initially does?
2. Tycho refers to his past attempts to impress people by making them think he was ____.
3. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
4. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
5. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
2. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
3. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
4. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
5. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
6. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
7. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
8. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
9. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
10. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tycho and Angela finally get together in a romantic sense, who initiates their first sexual encounter and how? What factors do you think have influenced Angela's change of heart with respect to dating Tycho?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, Tycho's family is introduced. Describe the family dynamic of the Potters and the role each of the family members plays within this dynamic. How do you think having this particular family has influenced Tycho's personality and temperament?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)