|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
2. How does Tycho respond to Angela's threat regarding her plan?
3. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
4. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
5. Dido's usual style of parenting is described as ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
2. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
3. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
4. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
5. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
6. What happens when Angela and Tycho come to a coffee bar on the street?
7. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
8. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
9. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
10. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)