|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Angela meets up with Tycho again, and tells him ____.
2. What reason does Dido give for being worried about Angela driving the car on the winding road home?
3. Where is the building the two men emerge from?
4. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
5. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
2. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
3. The day after Angela sees Roland in the coffee shop, she wakes up with a new determination. What is she determined to do?
4. After seeing Roland, Angela recounts how she went about finding out about him. What does she tell Tycho?
5. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
6. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
7. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
8. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
9. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
10. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, Tycho's family is introduced. Describe the family dynamic of the Potters and the role each of the family members plays within this dynamic. How do you think having this particular family has influenced Tycho's personality and temperament?
Essay Topic 3
When Tycho and Angela finally get together in a romantic sense, who initiates their first sexual encounter and how? What factors do you think have influenced Angela's change of heart with respect to dating Tycho?
This section contains 1,493 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)