|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela know that she keeps from her mother?
2. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
3. When two men emerge from the building across the street, Angela seems to recognize them. Tycho asks who they are. What does Angel tell him?
4. When Angela finds out where her father lives, what does she do?
5. Tycho says people avoided him when he was younger because ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
2. In Chapter 10, Richard and Mr. Potter return from the liquor store, and is it clear they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about, and what does this scene tell us about Mr. Potter?
3. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
4. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
5. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
6. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
7. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
8. After Angela and Tycho drag Jerry from the car, what do they do?
9. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
10. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
Essay Topic 1
Roland clearly believes that he does not owe Angela anything or have any responsibility toward her. Is he correct in this? What does this attitude tell you about the kind of person he is at heart?
Essay Topic 2
Seeing how upset Angela is at the meeting with Roland in the coffee shop, and his rejection of her, Tycho advises her to write off her father altogether. Based on what we know of Tycho from the text, what do you think are his motives for giving this advice?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
This section contains 1,517 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)