|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
2. What reason does Dido give for being worried about Angela driving the car on the winding road home?
3. Dido used to tell Angela a story about a young girl. What was the girl's name?
4. When two men emerge from the building across the street, Angela seems to recognize them. Tycho asks who they are. What does Angel tell him?
5. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
2. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
3. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
4. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
5. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
6. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
7. What happens to cut short Tycho's recounting of the accident to Richard?
8. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
9. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
10. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
Essay Topic 2
When Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her, she is both shocked and very angry, and tells Dido that she does not want any parents at all. What underlies her anger? Is her reaction justified? Is she reacting in an immature way? Support your opinion with reference to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Seeing how upset Angela is at the meeting with Roland in the coffee shop, and his rejection of her, Tycho advises her to write off her father altogether. Based on what we know of Tycho from the text, what do you think are his motives for giving this advice?
This section contains 2,242 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)