Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela says she has also seen her father another time. Where?
2. When Tycho hears Angela's explanation of what she wants her plan to accomplish, what does he believe?
3. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
4. Richard jokes that Africa's husband should have ____.
5. Dido used to tell Angela a story about a young girl. What was the girl's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
2. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
3. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
4. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
5. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
6. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
7. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
8. Once Tycho's family has gone to Africa's party, he decides to call Angela. Describe what happens when he does.
9. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
10. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
When Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her, she is both shocked and very angry, and tells Dido that she does not want any parents at all. What underlies her anger? Is her reaction justified? Is she reacting in an immature way? Support your opinion with reference to the text.
Essay Topic 2
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)