|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tycho confides to Angela that when he was younger he had a reputation as ____.
2. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
3. In Chapter 8, Angela meets up with Tycho again, and tells him ____.
4. Chapter 3 reveals that Tycho's mother is effectively the head of the household. Why?
5. Angela's boyfriend's name is ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
2. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
3. Dido asks Angela, during the picnic breakfast, why she doesn't date Tycho rather than Robin. Why? How does Angela respond?
4. In Chapter 8, Angela tells Tycho of her plan to go to her father's place of business and meet with him face to face. How does Tycho respond?
5. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
6. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
7. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
8. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
9. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
10. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seeing how upset Angela is at the meeting with Roland in the coffee shop, and his rejection of her, Tycho advises her to write off her father altogether. Based on what we know of Tycho from the text, what do you think are his motives for giving this advice?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)