|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela's best friend's name is ___.
2. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
3. Why does Angela resort to threats in an attempt to get Tycho's support for her plan?
4. Angela tells Tycho that she first tried to find her father by ____.
5. What does Angela do when the two men enter the building she and Tycho are in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
2. In Chapter 8, Angela tells Tycho of her plan to go to her father's place of business and meet with him face to face. How does Tycho respond?
3. After seeing Roland, Angela recounts how she went about finding out about him. What does she tell Tycho?
4. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
5. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
6. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
7. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
8. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
9. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
10. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Angela enlists Tycho's help to carry off her plan to confront her father. While he waits for her in the car, he reads a book. What is the theme in the book that has caught his attention? And what is the significance of that theme to the events of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)