|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela's mother says she values two things in her life, _____ and Angela.
2. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
3. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
4. Which is the eldest of the siblings in Tycho's family?
5. In Chapter 8, Angela meets up with Tycho again, and tells him ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
2. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
3. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
4. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
5. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
6. What does Angela say and do that illustrates that she has changed her mind about Tycho and wants to change the nature of their relationship?
7. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
8. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
9. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
10. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
Essay Topic 2
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
This section contains 2,347 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)