|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela say that indicates she has romanticized the relationship between her mother and father?
2. When Tycho hears Angela's explanation of what she wants her plan to accomplish, what does he believe?
3. How does Tycho respond to Angela's threat regarding her plan?
4. Tycho is surprised when he watches Richard dressing. Why?
5. Being from a single-parent family, Angela considers herself part of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
2. Dido asks Angela, during the picnic breakfast, why she doesn't date Tycho rather than Robin. Why? How does Angela respond?
3. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
4. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
5. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
6. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
7. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
8. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
9. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
10. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The accident involving the Cherrys seems to be a turning point for Angela. Explain why this incident has such a strong impact on Angela and how it is instrumental in changing her attitude not only toward Dido but also toward Roland.
Essay Topic 2
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)