|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Africa's husband's name is ____.
2. Dido tells Angela she would prefer Angela date Tycho rather than Robin. Why?
3. Robin and Angela make plans to meet later at the ____.
4. Chapter 3 reveals that Tycho's mother is effectively the head of the household. Why?
5. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
2. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
3. What happens when Angela and Tycho come to a coffee bar on the street?
4. The day after Angela sees Roland in the coffee shop, she wakes up with a new determination. What is she determined to do?
5. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
6. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
7. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
8. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
9. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
10. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roland clearly believes that he does not owe Angela anything or have any responsibility toward her. Is he correct in this? What does this attitude tell you about the kind of person he is at heart?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 3
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)