|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
2. What motivates Angela to search for her father?
3. Why does Angela resort to threats in an attempt to get Tycho's support for her plan?
4. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
5. Angela has an idea of what she and Tycho can do for the day in Chapter 3. What does she propose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
2. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
3. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
4. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
5. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
6. Dido asks Angela, during the picnic breakfast, why she doesn't date Tycho rather than Robin. Why? How does Angela respond?
7. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
8. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
9. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
10. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
Essay Topic 3
Roland clearly believes that he does not owe Angela anything or have any responsibility toward her. Is he correct in this? What does this attitude tell you about the kind of person he is at heart?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)