|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
2. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
3. Richard goads Tycho about the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void," saying he is ____.
4. Which is the eldest of the siblings in Tycho's family?
5. When two men emerge from the building across the street, Angela seems to recognize them. Tycho asks who they are. What does Angel tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
2. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
3. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
4. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
5. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
6. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
7. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
8. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
9. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
10. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the closing chapter of the novel, Dido has finally told Angela the whole truth about Roland; Tycho has become a hero, and Angela and Tycho have embarked on a new stage in their relationship. Both Angela and Tycho have grown up in different ways. Describe how their respective experiences throughout the novel have helped them to become more mature.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)