|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 reveals that Tycho's mother is effectively the head of the household. Why?
2. Being from a single-parent family, Angela considers herself part of _____.
3. Dido tells Angela she would prefer Angela date Tycho rather than Robin. Why?
4. Angela's mother says she couldn't stay with Angela's father because ____.
5. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
2. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
3. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
4. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
5. In Chapter 8, Angela tells Tycho of her plan to go to her father's place of business and meet with him face to face. How does Tycho respond?
6. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
7. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
8. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
9. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
10. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
Essay Topic 2
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way in which Dido is introduced in the novel and what this initial view of her tells the reader about her nature, character, and personality. Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)