|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela looks to Tycho to affirm that her curiosity about her father is natural. How does he respond?
2. What is the significance, in Chapter 3, of the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void."
3. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
4. Being from a single-parent family, Angela considers herself part of _____.
5. Richard goads Tycho about the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void," saying he is ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
2. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
3. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
4. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
5. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
6. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
7. What happens when Angela and Tycho come to a coffee bar on the street?
8. Dido asks Angela, during the picnic breakfast, why she doesn't date Tycho rather than Robin. Why? How does Angela respond?
9. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
10. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Dido is introduced in the novel and what this initial view of her tells the reader about her nature, character, and personality. Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 2
The accident involving the Cherrys seems to be a turning point for Angela. Explain why this incident has such a strong impact on Angela and how it is instrumental in changing her attitude not only toward Dido but also toward Roland.
Essay Topic 3
When Tycho and Angela finally get together in a romantic sense, who initiates their first sexual encounter and how? What factors do you think have influenced Angela's change of heart with respect to dating Tycho?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)