|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reasoning does Angela initially give Tycho about her plan regarding her father?
2. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
3. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
4. What is Tycho's reaction to whom he and Angela encounter as they walk along the street?
5. According to Tycho, what property does truth have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
2. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
3. Dido asks Angela, during the picnic breakfast, why she doesn't date Tycho rather than Robin. Why? How does Angela respond?
4. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
6. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
7. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
8. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
9. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
10. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
Essay Topic 2
The accident involving the Cherrys seems to be a turning point for Angela. Explain why this incident has such a strong impact on Angela and how it is instrumental in changing her attitude not only toward Dido but also toward Roland.
Essay Topic 3
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)