|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dido's usual style of parenting is described as ______.
2. What motivates Angela to search for her father?
3. Angela looks to Tycho to affirm that her curiosity about her father is natural. How does he respond?
4. The morning after the middle-of-the-night phone call, why does Richard go into Tycho's room?
5. Tycho compares common sense and ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
2. In Chapter 8, Angela tells Tycho of her plan to go to her father's place of business and meet with him face to face. How does Tycho respond?
3. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
4. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
5. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
6. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
7. The day after Angela sees Roland in the coffee shop, she wakes up with a new determination. What is she determined to do?
8. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
9. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
10. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Angela enlists Tycho's help to carry off her plan to confront her father. While he waits for her in the car, he reads a book. What is the theme in the book that has caught his attention? And what is the significance of that theme to the events of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)