|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela sense that Tycho's mother doesn't approve of her. What does she do?
2. What reason does Dido give for being worried about Angela driving the car on the winding road home?
3. What is the significance, in Chapter 3, of the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void."
4. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
5. In the first scene in the novel, Angela is awakened by ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
2. The day after Angela sees Roland in the coffee shop, she wakes up with a new determination. What is she determined to do?
3. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
4. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
5. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
6. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
7. After seeing Roland, Angela recounts how she went about finding out about him. What does she tell Tycho?
8. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
9. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
10. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
Essay Topic 3
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)