|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
2. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
3. Chapter 3 reveals that Tycho's mother is effectively the head of the household. Why?
4. Tycho is surprised when he watches Richard dressing. Why?
5. While Angela and her mother are having breakfast, Dido interrogates Angela about ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
2. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
3. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
4. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
5. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
6. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
7. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
8. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
9. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
10. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the closing chapter of the novel, Dido has finally told Angela the whole truth about Roland; Tycho has become a hero, and Angela and Tycho have embarked on a new stage in their relationship. Both Angela and Tycho have grown up in different ways. Describe how their respective experiences throughout the novel have helped them to become more mature.
Essay Topic 2
Roland clearly believes that he does not owe Angela anything or have any responsibility toward her. Is he correct in this? What does this attitude tell you about the kind of person he is at heart?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way in which Dido is introduced in the novel and what this initial view of her tells the reader about her nature, character, and personality. Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)