Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela says she has also seen her father another time. Where?
2. When Tycho hears Angela's explanation of what she wants her plan to accomplish, what does he believe?
3. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
4. Richard jokes that Africa's husband should have ____.
5. Dido used to tell Angela a story about a young girl. What was the girl's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
2. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
3. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
4. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
5. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
6. How does Angela demonstrate that she is aware of Tycho's attraction to her?
7. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
8. Once Tycho's family has gone to Africa's party, he decides to call Angela. Describe what happens when he does.
9. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
10. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Dido is introduced in the novel and what this initial view of her tells the reader about her nature, character, and personality. Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 7, it is clear that Dido would prefer that Angela date Tycho, rather than Robin, because she considers Tycho safer. Do you consider this an odd preference, given what you know about the way that Dido chooses to live her life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)