|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dido tells Angela she would prefer Angela date Tycho rather than Robin. Why?
2. Angela points out a sign on a building to Tycho. What does the sign say?
3. In the first scene in the novel, Angela is awakened by ____.
4. Both Angela and Tycho think that Dido doesn't renovate the house because ____.
5. How do Richard and Tycho describe Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
2. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
3. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
4. In Chapter 8, Angela tells Tycho of her plan to go to her father's place of business and meet with him face to face. How does Tycho respond?
5. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
6. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
7. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
8. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
9. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
10. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, one of the main themes of the novel is introduced: Truth and common sense are often at odds. With respect to the experiences of Angela and Tycho, discuss the implications of the idea that truth "wobbles." Use specific examples from the text to illustrate.
Essay Topic 3
While the rest of the Potters go to Africa's party, Tycho stays home alone. When he speaks with Dido on the phone, she asks him if he were aware of Angela's plans to confront Roland. How does he answer, and why do you think he answers in this way?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)