|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela has indicated that she is taking Tycho to an unknown place but won't tell him where. Where is she taking him?
2. How is the man Angela believes to be her father described in Chapter 5?
3. Both Angela and Tycho think that Dido doesn't renovate the house because ____.
4. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
5. Africa changes her story in the second phone call. What does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
2. The day after Angela sees Roland in the coffee shop, she wakes up with a new determination. What is she determined to do?
3. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
4. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
5. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
6. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
7. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
8. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
9. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
10. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, we get a more complete picture of Roland. In contrast to the falsehoods Dido has told Angela, Roland insists on telling Angela the truth. Is Roland being unnecessary cruel in this respect? What does this scene demonstrate about Roland and Dido as parents? As human beings?
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)