|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Africa's parents do not pick her up because ____.
2. What reason does Dido give for being worried about Angela driving the car on the winding road home?
3. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
4. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
5. Tycho is surprised when he watches Richard dressing. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
2. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
3. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
4. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
5. After seeing Roland, Angela recounts how she went about finding out about him. What does she tell Tycho?
6. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
7. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
8. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
9. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
10. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roland clearly believes that he does not owe Angela anything or have any responsibility toward her. Is he correct in this? What does this attitude tell you about the kind of person he is at heart?
Essay Topic 2
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
Essay Topic 3
Tycho insists that Angela be honest with herself about her motives for wanting to meet Roland and about her expectations. Is Tycho playing the devil's advocate here, or is he demonstrating that he is a true friend? Discuss your impressions of Tycho's actions in this respect.
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)