|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how is Tycho portrayed?
2. Dido suggests that she and Angela do something different this morning. What does she suggest?
3. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
4. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
5. Tycho refers to his past attempts to impress people by making them think he was ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
2. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
3. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
4. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
5. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
6. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
7. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
8. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
9. After seeing Roland, Angela recounts how she went about finding out about him. What does she tell Tycho?
10. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Overall, Tycho is portrayed as very practical and rationale. However, we see a different side of him when he questions his mother about the origins of his name. What do his hopes about how he came to be called Tycho reveal about him?
Essay Topic 3
When Tycho and Angela finally get together in a romantic sense, who initiates their first sexual encounter and how? What factors do you think have influenced Angela's change of heart with respect to dating Tycho?
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)