|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dido's usual style of parenting is described as ______.
2. How does Tycho respond to Angela's threat regarding her plan?
3. Angela looks to Tycho to affirm that her curiosity about her father is natural. How does he respond?
4. What motivates Angela to search for her father?
5. What sound does Angela hear when she wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
2. What happens when Angela and Tycho come to a coffee bar on the street?
3. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
4. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
5. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
6. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
7. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
8. While Angela and Tycho are tending to Jerry's injuries, who arrives on the scene? Why is Angela relieved at this arrival?
9. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
10. During her confrontation with her father, Angela learns the extent to which Dido has fabricated the story of her birth and Roland's attitude. What does she learn?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Tycho and Angela discuss her determination to have Roland acknowledge her. A number of things are revealed during this chapter about Angela's personality. For instance, although overall she seems very responsible and down-to-earth, this chapter reveals that she also harbors romantic illusions about Roland. Using concrete examples from the text, discuss how this romantic side of her nature is illustrated by the author.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 7, it is clear that Dido would prefer that Angela date Tycho, rather than Robin, because she considers Tycho safer. Do you consider this an odd preference, given what you know about the way that Dido chooses to live her life?
This section contains 2,274 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)