|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
2. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
3. When Angela looks out the window at the beginning of the book, she sees her mother ___.
4. Angela points out a sign on a building to Tycho. What does the sign say?
5. How does Chapter 8 end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
2. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
3. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
4. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
5. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
6. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
7. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
8. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
9. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
10. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roland clearly believes that he does not owe Angela anything or have any responsibility toward her. Is he correct in this? What does this attitude tell you about the kind of person he is at heart?
Essay Topic 2
Although Tycho clearly thinks of Angela as very responsible (e.g., he is shocked when he learns she has not gone home after her confrontation with Roland), it also clear that Angela does have a rather rebellious, daring streak. Describe two or three examples of this rebellious side of Angela's character, and say why you think she is acting in such a manner in those situations.
Essay Topic 3
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)