|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the building the two men emerge from?
2. In Chapter 8, Angela meets up with Tycho again, and tells him ____.
3. What is Angela's nickname for her best friend?
4. Africa's son is named ____.
5. Angela has an idea of what she and Tycho can do for the day in Chapter 3. What does she propose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
2. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
3. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
4. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
5. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
6. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
7. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
8. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
9. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
10. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)