|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Being from a single-parent family, Angela considers herself part of _____.
2. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
3. What does Angela do when the two men enter the building she and Tycho are in?
4. Chapter 8 makes clear that Tycho has another reason for responding to Angela's plan as he does. What is the other reason?
5. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
2. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
3. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
4. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
5. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
6. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
7. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
8. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
9. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
10. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard and Tycho are portrayed as two very different characters, but in some ways they are also quite similar. Discuss both their difference and their similarities (especially with respect to their attitudes toward Africa).
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, we get a much more complete picture of Mrs. Potter and of the relationship between her and Tycho. Describe your impressions of her as a mother. What do we learn about her attitude toward and feelings about Tycho? Be specific, using the text to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Tycho and Angela finally get together in a romantic sense, who initiates their first sexual encounter and how? What factors do you think have influenced Angela's change of heart with respect to dating Tycho?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)