|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 5 highlights the huge difference between Angela's and Roland's ____.
2. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
3. Why does Angela resort to threats in an attempt to get Tycho's support for her plan?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, when Angela wakes up the morning after seeing her father, what does she decide to do?
5. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
2. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
3. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
4. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
5. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
6. Dido asks Angela, during the picnic breakfast, why she doesn't date Tycho rather than Robin. Why? How does Angela respond?
7. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
8. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
9. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
10. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 7, it is clear that Dido would prefer that Angela date Tycho, rather than Robin, because she considers Tycho safer. Do you consider this an odd preference, given what you know about the way that Dido chooses to live her life?
Essay Topic 2
Overall, Tycho is portrayed as very practical and rationale. However, we see a different side of him when he questions his mother about the origins of his name. What do his hopes about how he came to be called Tycho reveal about him?
Essay Topic 3
During the picnic breakfast Angela and Dido have, what do we learn about the kind of relationship that exists between the two of them? Do you get a positive impression of Dido from this scene? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)