|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, who does Tycho decide to make a phone call to?
2. The morning after the party Angela makes suggestions about how Tycho could improve _____.
(a) His posture.
(b) His hair style and clothing.
(c) His diction.
(d) His attitude.
3. When Richard and Tycho's father arrives home, they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about?
(a) Richard's choice of liquor for the party.
(b) Richard's careless driving.
(c) Richard's rudeness to the clerk in the liquor store.
(d) Richard's way of dressing in old clothing.
4. Dido explains why she didn't answer the phone the previous night. What does she say?
(a) Angela must have dialed a wrong number.
(b) She was out for a walk and missed the call.
(c) She was angry at Angela and didn't want to speak with her.
(d) She took the phone off the hook so she could sleep.
5. While Tycho's family is at the party, who telephones the house near midnight?
(b) Tycho's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Roland finally agrees to speak with Angela, how does he refer to her?
2. Despite her anger with Dido about Roland in Chapter 13, Angela bursts into tears when she finds out _____.
3. Angela tells Tycho that she left the bar with a stranger but decided not to sleep with him. Why not?
4. Early in the novel, Tycho made a prediction, which he now learns has come true. What did he predict?
5. When Tycho wakes up the morning after the party, his family is not there. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tycho learns, during his conversation on the phone with Dido, that Angela has not returned home, what does his reaction tell us about his perception of Angela?
2. Angela is very upset by what Roland tells her in his office, and she decides to phone Dido and confront her. What does she tell Dido on the phone?
3. Although Mrs. Potter is very traditional, it is also clear that she tries to be supportive of Tycho. With reference to Chapter 10, show how she does this.
4. After the accident, Tycho returns home to find his family in an uproar. What has happened to upset the Potters?
5. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
6. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
7. What happens to cut short Tycho's recounting of the accident to Richard?
8. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
9. What do Angela and Tycho find when they hurry to the scene of the accident?
10. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)