|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What traumatic event happens just after Tycho and Angela spot a car they think is Dido's as they walk toward her house?
(a) The car speeds up and passes by them.
(b) The car plummets off the bridge.
(c) The car catches fire.
(d) The car crashes into one of the uprights on the bridge.
2. At the end of Chapter 9, Angela refuses to take a ride home with Tycho. He gives her $10 and leaves. Where does he go?
(a) For a drive in the hills to think.
(b) For a walk by the river.
(c) Back to the community service project site.
(d) For a coffee at the nearby cafe.
3. What do Angela and Tycho notice about the state of the car that was involved in the accident?
(a) It has no bumpers.
(b) It is smoldering.
(c) It's in surprisingly good shape.
(d) It is oozing gasoline.
4. While Tycho and his mother are talking in the kitchen, what is his mother doing?
(a) Drinking tea and knitting.
(b) Rolling out pie dough.
(c) Rolling a cigarette.
(d) Washing dishes.
5. When Tycho arrives home from his outing with Angela, he finds his family discussing ____.
(a) Whether they will go to the party.
(b) What type of liquor they will take to the party later in the evening.
(c) Richard's refusal to go to the party.
(d) Who else will be at the party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her. What does Roland tell her that reveals the lie?
2. In Chapter 9, how is Roland's office building described?
3. Why is Dido suspicious when Angela goes out to meet Tycho as he drives up the hill toward her house?
4. Dido asks Tycho a pointed question during their telephone call. What does she ask?
5. In Chapter 10, who says, "Life's a real old puzzle, isn't it?"
Short Essay Questions
1. When Angela and Tycho wake up in the morning after having spent the night together, why does Angela become upset?
2. While Angela and Tycho are tending to Jerry's injuries, who arrives on the scene? Why is Angela relieved at this arrival?
3. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
4. When Tycho learns, during his conversation on the phone with Dido, that Angela has not returned home, what does his reaction tell us about his perception of Angela?
5. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
6. When Tycho learns what has happened in Roland's office, he tries to comfort Angela. How? And how does Angela respond?
7. During her confrontation with her father, Angela learns the extent to which Dido has fabricated the story of her birth and Roland's attitude. What does she learn?
8. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
9. Describe what happens when Angela first appears in Tycho's house at midnight.
10. In Chapter 10, Mrs. Potter's character is seen in much more detail. Describe how she is portrayed.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)