|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, which character says, "Chance favors the prepared mind"?
2. Dido explains why she didn't answer the phone the previous night. What does she say?
(a) She took the phone off the hook so she could sleep.
(b) Angela must have dialed a wrong number.
(c) She was angry at Angela and didn't want to speak with her.
(d) She was out for a walk and missed the call.
3. Tycho believes Angela is out of his league because she is beautiful, and he doesn't think he is very attractive. His mother tells him that beauty is only skin deep. What is Tycho's response?
(a) That that is more than deep enough.
(b) That beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
(c) That his mother is only spouting platitudes.
(d) That beauty is as beauty does.
4. After the events of the night before, why does Tycho seem jubilant.
(a) He has had a haircut.
(b) He has has slept with Angela.
(c) He has read the "The Catalogue of the Universe" all the way through.
(d) He is relieved that Angela has not harmed herself.
5. Who keeps staring at Angela while she waits in Roland's office?
(a) The security guard.
(b) No one; she is alone.
(c) The receptionist.
(d) Roland's business partner.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tycho hears what has happened in Roland's office, how does he try to comfort Angela?
2. At the end of Chapter 9, Angela refuses to take a ride home with Tycho. He gives her $10 and leaves. Where does he go?
3. How does Roland initially act toward Angela in Chapter 9?
4. How does Chapter 12 end?
5. What is the significance of the slogan "The Ionions Rule!" in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Tycho is outside on the porch, Richard calls from the party. What does Richard say, and what does this mean for the unfolding of the story?
2. When Angela and Tycho wake up in the morning after having spent the night together, why does Angela become upset?
3. Chapter 9 is a pivotal one, in that Angela finally has a chance to meet with Roland. Describe Roland's reaction to the meeting.
4. Describe what happens when Angela first appears in Tycho's house at midnight.
5. During his conversation with Dido on the phone, Dido says she called Tycho earlier and left a message. How does Tycho react to this news?
6. Angela and Tycho react in very different ways to the accident. How does each react?
7. After Angela has taken a shower and borrowed some of Tycho's clean clothes, she tells him where she has been since they parted at Roland's office. What does she say?
8. Describe the difficulty Angela and Tycho are faced with in attempting to get to Angela's house.
9. Tycho asks his mother, while they are alone, where he got his name. What does his reaction to what she says tell you about him?
10. When Tycho learns, during his conversation on the phone with Dido, that Angela has not returned home, what does his reaction tell us about his perception of Angela?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)