|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, which character says, "I'm so used to it, I forget it can be changed"?
2. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
(a) Tycho doesn't like the idea at all.
(b) Tycho says that the plan is just plain silly.
(c) Tycho doesn't like the idea and refuses to help.
(d) Tycho thinks Angela will not be satisfied until she finds out the truth, so he supports her plan.
3. Angela's mother says she values two things in her life, _____ and Angela.
4. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
(a) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to come and get her.
(b) Angela wants Tycho to help her find her father.
(c) Angela wants to tell Tycho about her conversation with her mother.
(d) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to call the police.
5. Africa changes her story in the second phone call. What does she say?
(a) Her husband didn't hit her; he threatened to hit her.
(b) Her husband hit the baby.
(c) Her husband isn't even home.
(d) She actually hit her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chapter 8 end?
2. In Chapter 2, who makes an early-morning phone call?
3. In Chapter 8, Angela meets up with Tycho again, and tells him ____.
4. What reasoning does Angela initially give Tycho about her plan regarding her father?
5. Richard jokes that Africa's husband should have ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
2. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
3. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
4. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
5. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
6. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
7. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
8. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
9. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
10. In Chapter 8, Angela tells Tycho of her plan to go to her father's place of business and meet with him face to face. How does Tycho respond?
This section contains 1,591 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)