|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Both Angela and Tycho think that Dido doesn't renovate the house because ____.
(a) She enjoys a lifestyle that is inefficient and prone to difficulty.
(b) She isn't planning to stay there very much longer.
(c) She is too much of a cheapskate.
(d) She can't afford it.
2. When her mother asks why Angela doesn't date Tycho instead of Robin, what reason does she give?
(a) She isn't attracted to Tycho.
(b) Tycho is her best friend, and she doesn't want to ruin their friendship.
(c) Tycho is too serious.
(d) Tycho is too lighthearted.
3. Chapter 4 reveals that, with respect to Robin, Tycho feels ____.
4. Tycho compares common sense and ______.
5. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
(a) If Africa moves back home, Tycho will move away.
(b) Africa will never move back home.
(c) If Africa moves back home, her husband will divorce her.
(d) Africa won't move back home this time.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, who makes an early-morning phone call?
2. Angela looks to Tycho to affirm that her curiosity about her father is natural. How does he respond?
3. Tycho counts the hours until _____.
4. What philosophical idea does Tycho discuss with Angela?
5. While Angela and Dido are discussing whether being exposed to loud music is good or bad, what view does Dido take?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
2. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
3. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
4. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
5. What happens when Angela and Tycho come to a coffee bar on the street?
6. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
7. What is the significance of the quote, "Where do we go from here?" at the end of Chapter 4?
8. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
9. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
10. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)