|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
(a) An accident.
(c) Like a movie.
(d) Like a fairy tale.
2. Chapter 8 makes clear that Tycho has another reason for responding to Angela's plan as he does. What is the other reason?
(a) He thinks Robin will be upset with him for helping Angela.
(b) He is afraid Angela's father will represent competition for her attention and affections.
(c) He thinks Dido will be upset with him for helping Angela.
(d) He thinks Angela's father is self-absorbed.
3. What is the significance, in Chapter 3, of the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void."
(a) Tycho quotes this to Richard.
(b) Tycho's father is an atomic scientist.
(c) Tycho has pinned this quote over his bed.
(d) Angela has given Tycho a card with this quote on it.
4. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
(a) Their parents can't afford to take care of her.
(b) Their parents are too old.
(c) The house is too small.
(d) Their mother will end up being a built-in babysitter.
5. When Tycho hears Angela's explanation of what she wants her plan to accomplish, what does he believe?
(a) Tycho believes Angela will not go through with the plan.
(b) Tycho thinks Angela's explanation makes sense.
(c) Tycho thinks Angela is lying to him.
(d) Tycho believes Angela is kidding herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, Angela meets up with Tycho again, and tells him ____.
2. How does the man Angela believes is her father react when he sees her?
3. While Angela and Dido are discussing whether being exposed to loud music is good or bad, what view does Dido take?
4. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
5. When her mother asks why Angela doesn't date Tycho instead of Robin, what reason does she give?
Short Essay Questions
1. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
2. The day after Angela sees Roland in the coffee shop, she wakes up with a new determination. What is she determined to do?
3. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
4. Angela asks Tycho to agree with her that her feeling of curiosity about Roland is natural and reasonable. How does Tycho respond?
5. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
6. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
7. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
8. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
9. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
10. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
This section contains 1,546 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)