|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drives the car in Chapter 8?
2. Richard goads Tycho about the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void," saying he is ____.
(a) So naive.
(b) So boring.
(c) So ridiculous.
(d) So middle class.
3. What is the significance, in Chapter 3, of the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void."
(a) Tycho has pinned this quote over his bed.
(b) Angela has given Tycho a card with this quote on it.
(c) Tycho quotes this to Richard.
(d) Tycho's father is an atomic scientist.
4. Both Angela and Tycho think that Dido doesn't renovate the house because ____.
(a) She can't afford it.
(b) She enjoys a lifestyle that is inefficient and prone to difficulty.
(c) She is too much of a cheapskate.
(d) She isn't planning to stay there very much longer.
5. Angela's boyfriend's name is ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man Angela believes is her father react when he sees her?
2. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
3. What does Angela say that indicates she has romanticized the relationship between her mother and father?
4. Africa's parents do not pick her up because ____.
5. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
2. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
3. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
4. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
5. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
6. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
7. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
8. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
9. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
10. When Tycho attempts to talk Angela out of her plan to visit her father's office, Angela's response gives the reader an idea of how well she actually understands Tycho. How is this made clear?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)