|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tycho refers to his past attempts to impress people by making them think he was ____.
(d) Good at sports.
2. What does Angela say that indicates she has romanticized the relationship between her mother and father?
(a) That Roland is miserable without Dido but noble to have chosen to stay with his wife.
(b) That her mother and father are in love, despite the passing of time.
(c) That they are married in every cell of Angela's body.
(d) That if Roland met Angela, he would remember how much he loved Dido.
3. What philosopher does Tycho mention in Chapter 4?
4. When Tycho points out that her father doesn't seem very happy to see Angela, how does she react?
(a) Angela gets angry with Tycho.
(b) Angela says Tycho is being too negative.
(c) Angela says he probably didn't recognize her.
(d) Angela defends him.
5. How does Tycho respond to Angela's threat regarding her plan?
(a) He knows she is serious, so he agrees to help.
(b) He is afraid that if he doesn't go along, the friendship will be ruined.
(c) He doesn't believe she will do what she says she will.
(d) He knows she is serious, but he won't help her because it goes against his conscience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Angela's response when the man she believes is her father reacts the way he does?
2. What has Tycho advised Angela to do about her father?
3. Which is the eldest of the siblings in Tycho's family?
4. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
5. Angela sense that Tycho's mother doesn't approve of her. What does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
2. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
3. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
4. How does the author make clear that Angela and the man in the coffee shop who resembles her are from entirely different worlds?
5. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
6. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
7. Although Tycho's brother Richard appears only a few times in the novel, in Chapter 2, he is described in some detail. How is Richard's character portrayed?
8. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
9. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
10. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)