|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dido's usual style of parenting is described as ______.
(b) Hands off and noninterfering.
(c) Involved and interested.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, when Angela wakes up the morning after seeing her father, what does she decide to do?
(a) To go to his office and confront him.
(b) To go back to the venue where she saw him the day before.
(c) To ask her mother to tell her the whole story about the relationship between Dido and Roland.
(d) To write him a letter.
3. How is the man Angela believes to be her father described in Chapter 5?
(a) A gentle person.
(c) Well-groomed but unattractive.
(d) A rich, successful, well-dressed businessman.
4. When Robin offers to pick Angela up later in the day, she refuses. Why?
(a) She is afraid Robin will insult Dido.
(b) She is afraid Dido will insult Robin.
(c) She is not going home after she and Tycho part.
(d) Dido won't let her have the car if Robin picks her up.
5. In Chapter 7, which character says, "I'm so used to it, I forget it can be changed"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Being from a single-parent family, Angela considers herself part of _____.
2. Angela sense that Tycho's mother doesn't approve of her. What does she do?
3. Tcyho and Angela park the car in Chapter 5, and as they are walking down the street, whom do they encounter?
4. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
5. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
2. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
3. In Chapter 2, what evidence does the author give that demonstrates the sibling rivalry between Tycho and his brother and sister?
4. Although Tycho does not appear until Chapter 2, we learn a fair amount about him through being privy to Angela's thoughts. How is Tycho described in the first chapter?
5. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
6. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
7. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
8. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
9. Describe the conversation Tycho and Richard have about Africa and what that reveals about their distinct characters.
10. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)