|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the building the two men emerge from?
(a) At a fork between two roads.
(b) At the edge of a dark woods.
(c) At the convergence of three roads.
(d) Beside a deep pond.
2. In Chapter 2, who makes an early-morning phone call?
3. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
(a) He is annoyed because she is noisy.
(b) He is angry because he doesn't want to share a room with Tycho.
(c) He is happy because he misses her.
(d) He is anxious because he doesn't like her baby.
4. Chapter 4 reveals that, with respect to Robin, Tycho feels ____.
5. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
(a) Pick Angela up in an hour.
(b) Come back later, alone, and speak to Roland.
(c) Wait in the car for Angela.
(d) Come back later with Angela.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela threaten when she hears what Tycho has to say about her plan?
2. Why does Angela resort to threats in an attempt to get Tycho's support for her plan?
3. Angela's mother says she values two things in her life, _____ and Angela.
4. Robin and Angela make plans to meet later at the ____.
5. Angela tells Tycho that she first tried to find her father by ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
2. In Chapter 3, the author portrays Angela as somewhat of a rebel and a bit unconventional. How do we know this?
3. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
4. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
5. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
6. Angela asks for Tycho's help in carrying out her plan to confront her father in his office. What does her asking Tycho, rather than someone else or rather than going to the office alone, tell us?
7. Mr. Potter is portrayed as someone who is unsure of his position in the family. Describe how the author establishes this.
8. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
9. Angela and Tycho come from entirely different worlds it seems. Compare the differences in their family lives.
10. In Chapter 1, Dido and Angela have a conversation about Dido's relationship with Angela's father. How does Dido portray the relationship?
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)