|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tycho advised Angela to do about her father?
(a) Write him off and forget about him.
(b) Ask her mother to set up a meeting.
(c) Send him a letter.
(d) Telephone him and ask if the two can meet.
2. Chapter 4 reveals that, with respect to Robin, Tycho feels ____.
3. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
(a) "It's reasonable to want to know who your parents are. But that doesn't mean they'll want to know who you are."
(b) "What's the point in being reasonable when it doesn't get you what you want?"
(c) "What's the use of being reasonable when no one else is?"
(d) "It's reasonable. But is it realistic?"
4. While Angela and Dido are discussing whether being exposed to loud music is good or bad, what view does Dido take?
(a) It is fine as long as someone doesn't do it constantly.
(b) It is a silly thing to do because it can damage someone's hearing.
(c) It is a test of intelligence.
(d) It is a test of stamina.
5. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
(a) The Gladstone.
(b) The Victoria Club.
(c) The Gladiator.
(d) The Gladheart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the man Angela believes to be her father described in Chapter 5?
2. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
3. In Chapter 3, how is Tycho portrayed?
4. What philosophical idea does Tycho discuss with Angela?
5. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
2. What happens when Angela and Tycho come to a coffee bar on the street?
3. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
4. While Dido and Angela are having a picnic breakfast, Angela becomes angry at her mother. Why? What does she accuse her mother of?
5. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
6. What does Angela's sharing her secret with Tycho, rather than with Robin, indicate about her relationships with the two boys?
7. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
8. In Chapter 7, how does the author make clear that Angela has a somewhat romanticized idea of Roland?
9. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
10. Describe Tycho's reaction when he and Angela encounter a group of men with motorcycles as they are on their way to the secret location.
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)