|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Richard and Tycho describe Africa?
(a) A drama queen.
(b) An intellectual.
(c) A silly girl.
(d) A good mother.
2. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
(a) He is anxious because he doesn't like her baby.
(b) He is angry because he doesn't want to share a room with Tycho.
(c) He is happy because he misses her.
(d) He is annoyed because she is noisy.
3. Chapter 4 reveals that, with respect to Robin, Tycho feels ____.
4. The morning after the middle-of-the-night phone call, why does Richard go into Tycho's room?
(a) He wants to complain about their sister.
(b) Richard's clothes are still in Tycho's room.
(c) He wants to borrow money.
(d) He wants to wake Tycho up.
5. Africa's husband's name is ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 reveals that Tycho's mother is effectively the head of the household. Why?
2. Angela's boyfriend's name is ____.
3. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
4. What does Angela say that indicates she has romanticized the relationship between her mother and father?
5. How is the man Angela believes to be her father described in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret is Angela keeping from her mother in Chapter 1?
2. Angela tells Tycho about a story Dido used to tell her when she was a child. Describe the story and its significance.
3. It is clear, in the conversation Angela and Tycho have in the gully after their community service project, that Tycho has been affected by his father's disability. How do we know this?
4. Angela is aware that Mrs. Potter does not like her. How is this demonstrated when she visits Tycho the day after Africa's phone call?
5. In Chapter 7, Dido acts in a way that is out of character for her. Describe why.
6. What does Angela tell Tycho about the men they see in the coffee shop, and how does he respond?
7. When Angela tentatively brings up the idea of a possible reunion between Dido and her father, how does Dido react?
8. While Tycho waits for Angela to return from her father's office, he reads a book. What is the book about, and how does it mirror the events in the novel itself?
9. Describe the scene in which Tycho and his family are introduced in the second chapter.
10. In Chapter 4, Tycho puts forth an interesting idea about truth. Describe what he thinks about truth.
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)