|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Despite her anger with Dido about Roland in Chapter 13, Angela bursts into tears when she finds out _____.
(a) Dido's is trapped in the car, but she is unharmed.
(b) Dido is badly hurt in the accident.
(c) The car is totalled, but Dido has escaped with only minor injuries.
(d) Dido is not in the car.
2. As Chapter 15 ends, who turns up at Tycho's house?
(b) A newspaper reporter.
(c) Africa's new boyfriend.
3. Early in the novel, Tycho made a prediction, which he now learns has come true. What did he predict?
(a) Hamish would soon have a little brother or sister.
(b) Africa would move back home.
(c) Africa would reunite with Hudson.
(d) Hudson would hit Africa.
4. Tycho tells his mother he doesn't want to go to the party. What excuse does he first give?
(a) There is an occultation of two of Jupiter's moons that he wants to see.
(b) That he has a headache.
(c) There is a good movie on television that he doesn't want to miss.
(d) There is an eclipse that he wants to watch.
5. The morning after the party Angela makes suggestions about how Tycho could improve _____.
(a) His attitude.
(b) His hair style and clothing.
(c) His posture.
(d) His diction.
6. When Angela wakes up after her evening in the bar, she realizes ____.
(a) She has a hangover.
(b) She has forgotten to call Tycho.
(c) She has forgotten to call her mother.
(d) She has left her purse at the bar.
7. Tycho's family is scheduled to go to a party. Who is the party for?
(b) Africa and Hamish.
(d) Africa and Hudson.
8. Who do Angela and Tycho discover sitting in the brush beside the car?
(a) Albert Cherry.
(b) Jerry Cherry.
(c) Phil Cherry.
9. After the events of the night before, why does Tycho seem jubilant.
(a) He has has slept with Angela.
(b) He is relieved that Angela has not harmed herself.
(c) He has had a haircut.
(d) He has read the "The Catalogue of the Universe" all the way through.
10. What do Angela and Tycho notice about the state of the car that was involved in the accident?
(a) It is oozing gasoline.
(b) It is smoldering.
(c) It's in surprisingly good shape.
(d) It has no bumpers.
11. Tycho's conversation with Dido reveals his mother's feelings about Angela more clearly. Why?
(a) His mother has not passed on the message that Dido called.
(b) His mother has written Dido a letter asking her to keep Angela away from Tycho.
(c) His mother has not passed on the message that Angela called.
(d) His mother has called Dido and told her to stop Angela from calling anymore.
12. In Chapter 10, who says, "Life's a real old puzzle, isn't it?"
(b) Tycho's father.
(d) Tycho's mother.
13. What does Tycho do while Angela is in the bathroom?
(a) Fixes them a snack.
(b) Looks through her purse.
(c) Calls Dido.
(d) Fixes her a drink.
14. In Chapter 11, what book is Tycho reading?
(a) "The Catalogue of the Universe."
(b) "Amalthea, the Red Moon of Jupiter."
(c) "Black Holes and Other Mysteries."
(d) "The Bible."
15. After Angela calls Dido in Chapter 13, she and Tycho decide to walk to her house because _____.
(a) It is Saturday morning, and there are no buses until later.
(b) Angela's car is in the shop for servicing.
(c) Richard refuses to let Tycho use the car.
(d) Tycho's car is broken down.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, who does Tycho decide to make a phone call to?
2. Why is Dido suspicious when Angela goes out to meet Tycho as he drives up the hill toward her house?
3. What traumatic event happens just after Tycho and Angela spot a car they think is Dido's as they walk toward her house?
4. Once he gets off the phone with Dido, Tycho goes outside. What is he planning to do?
5. When Angela sees Dido after the accident, she is described as overcome with emotion. Why?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)