|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who says, "Life's a real old puzzle, isn't it?"
(b) Tycho's mother.
(d) Tycho's father.
2. After the events of the night before, why does Tycho seem jubilant.
(a) He has read the "The Catalogue of the Universe" all the way through.
(b) He is relieved that Angela has not harmed herself.
(c) He has has slept with Angela.
(d) He has had a haircut.
3. Although the midnight encounter with Angela has changed Tycho in some ways, Chapter 13 demonstrates that he is still his usual practical self. How?
(a) He takes an umbrella in case it starts to rain.
(b) He insists on making sure they have enough bus fare before they leave the house.
(c) When Angela suggests he get rid of his jacket, he says it is not worn out yet.
(d) He checks to make sure there is gas in the car before they drive off.
4. When Roland finally agrees to speak with Angela, how does he refer to her?
(b) Ms. May.
(c) Dido May's daughter.
5. When Tycho's family goes to the party, he is home alone and suddenly feels ____.
(a) Free of his family and happy.
(b) Uncomfortable with the silence in the house.
(c) Comfortable; he loves the solitude.
(d) Afraid and nervous.
6. What does Tycho learn in the course of the phone call he makes?
(a) Angela has not returned home yet.
(b) Richard is angry at him for not going to the party.
(c) Tony has a new pet.
(d) Dido is painting the bathroom.
7. Who keeps staring at Angela while she waits in Roland's office?
(a) Roland's business partner.
(b) The security guard.
(c) No one; she is alone.
(d) The receptionist.
8. As Tycho and Angela talk over the events of the last few days, they make a decision about their relationship. What do they decide?
(a) To see other people.
(b) To tell Dido so she wouldn't worry about Robin's influence on Angela anymore.
(c) To pretend nothing has happened between them.
(d) To keep their new relationship a secret for a while.
9. When Angela hears the truth about the relationship between her mother and father, what does she realize?
(a) That Roland's wife knew all along about Angela's existence.
(b) That it was her grandmother's fault that Dido and Roland were not together.
(c) That Dido lied to her to protect her feelings.
(d) That Dido wanted to keep Roland away from her out of vengence.
10. What does Angela reveal to Tycho that she spent the $10 he gave her on?
(a) A taxi ride to Tycho's house.
(b) Drinks at the bar.
(c) A taxi ride to the bar.
(d) A gift for him.
11. During their telephone call, Dido and Tycho promise each other ____.
(a) Not to mention to Angela that they've talked.
(b) To contact each other the next day.
(c) Not to mention to Tycho's mother that they've talked.
(d) To contact the other if they hear from Angela.
12. While Tycho's family is at the party, who telephones the house near midnight?
(c) Tycho's mother.
13. Dido finally tells Angela the truth about how she and Roland parted. What does she say?
(a) Dido broke up the relationship because she didn't love Roland.
(b) Roland joined the Army, and she didn't know where he was.
(c) Roland promised to marry her but then disappeared to Australia, and Dido has not seen him since.
(d) Roland promised to divorce his wife so he could marry Dido.
14. Angela tells Tycho that she left the bar with a stranger but decided not to sleep with him. Why not?
(a) She thought he looked a bit insane.
(b) She doesn't know his last name.
(c) She doesn't want a bad reputation.
(d) She doesn't love him.
15. Tycho's conversation with Dido reveals his mother's feelings about Angela more clearly. Why?
(a) His mother has not passed on the message that Angela called.
(b) His mother has called Dido and told her to stop Angela from calling anymore.
(c) His mother has not passed on the message that Dido called.
(d) His mother has written Dido a letter asking her to keep Angela away from Tycho.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chapter 12 end?
2. After Angela calls Dido in Chapter 13, she and Tycho decide to walk to her house because _____.
3. When she suddenly appears at his house, Angela asks Tycho if she can ____.
4. In Chapter 12, what revelation does Angela make to Tycho that surprises him?
5. Tycho tries to tend to the accident victim's injuries. How?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)