|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angela tells Roland about growing up poor, what does he disclose to her?
(a) That he didn't even know she existed.
(b) That he doesn't really care about what she's experienced.
(c) That he never sent child support payments to Dido.
(d) That Dido refused to take money from him for Angela.
2. When she suddenly appears at his house, Angela asks Tycho if she can ____.
(a) Have a bath.
(b) Borrow some money.
(c) Wash her hair.
(d) Take a shower.
3. When Angela tells Roland she wants nothing from him, he hints that ______.
(a) There is no proof she is biologically related to him.
(b) His real name isn't Roland.
(c) There is no formal proof that she is Dido's actual daughter.
(d) He has a great dislike of Dido.
4. Why is Dido suspicious when Angela goes out to meet Tycho as he drives up the hill toward her house?
(a) Dido doesn't like Tycho.
(b) Angela has never done that before.
(c) Dido thinks Angela wants to ask Tycho to take her to Roland's.
(d) Angela has told her that the friendship with Tycho is finished.
5. Angela tells Tycho that she left the bar with a stranger but decided not to sleep with him. Why not?
(a) She thought he looked a bit insane.
(b) She doesn't love him.
(c) She doesn't want a bad reputation.
(d) She doesn't know his last name.
6. What is the significance of the slogan "The Ionions Rule!" in Chapter 12?
(a) It is the slogan of an advertisement Tycho hears on the radio.
(b) It is the slogan of the drink Angela had at the bar.
(c) It is printed on the t-shirt Angela bought Tycho.
(d) It is the slogan on the book Tycho is reading.
7. When Tycho tells his mother that he gave Angela $10 rather than buy a gift for the party, how does his mother react?
(a) She understands why Tycho chose to do so, once she hears the whole story.
(b) She tells Tycho that because he has no gift, he cannot go to the party.
(c) She is upset because she doesn't like Angela.
(d) She is angry and accuses him of never thinking of anyone but himself.
8. In Chapter 12, what revelation does Angela make to Tycho that surprises him?
(a) She is in love with someone other than Robin.
(b) She is a virgo.
(c) She has broken up with Robin.
(d) She is a virgin.
9. While Angela and Tcyho are walking to her house, they see what appears to be Dido's car on _________.
(a) Dry Bed Road.
(b) Dry Creek Road.
(c) Dry Street.
(d) Dry River Run.
10. What does Tycho learn in the course of the phone call he makes?
(a) Angela has not returned home yet.
(b) Tony has a new pet.
(c) Richard is angry at him for not going to the party.
(d) Dido is painting the bathroom.
11. Tycho tells his mother he doesn't want to go to the party. What excuse does he first give?
(a) There is an occultation of two of Jupiter's moons that he wants to see.
(b) There is an eclipse that he wants to watch.
(c) There is a good movie on television that he doesn't want to miss.
(d) That he has a headache.
12. After the events of the night before, why does Tycho seem jubilant.
(a) He is relieved that Angela has not harmed herself.
(b) He has had a haircut.
(c) He has has slept with Angela.
(d) He has read the "The Catalogue of the Universe" all the way through.
13. Just as Angela and Tycho free the person trapped in the car, what happens?
(a) Black fog rolls in off the river.
(b) The police arrive.
(c) Tycho dies.
(d) The car explodes and catches fire.
14. Tycho believes Angela is out of his league because she is beautiful, and he doesn't think he is very attractive. His mother tells him that beauty is only skin deep. What is Tycho's response?
(a) That his mother is only spouting platitudes.
(b) That beauty is as beauty does.
(c) That beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
(d) That that is more than deep enough.
15. In Chapter 12, which character says, "Chance favors the prepared mind"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela reveal to Tycho that she spent the $10 he gave her on?
2. Who keeps staring at Angela while she waits in Roland's office?
3. While Tycho and his mother are talking in the kitchen, what is his mother doing?
4. Angela tells Tycho about her evening. She says she has been at a bar called ____.
5. As Tycho hangs up the phone after the late night call while his family is at the party, what startles him?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)