|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in the novel, Tycho made a prediction, which he now learns has come true. What did he predict?
(a) Hudson would hit Africa.
(b) Africa would reunite with Hudson.
(c) Africa would move back home.
(d) Hamish would soon have a little brother or sister.
2. Dido finally tells Angela the truth about how she and Roland parted. What does she say?
(a) Roland joined the Army, and she didn't know where he was.
(b) Roland promised to marry her but then disappeared to Australia, and Dido has not seen him since.
(c) Dido broke up the relationship because she didn't love Roland.
(d) Roland promised to divorce his wife so he could marry Dido.
3. When Richard and Tycho's father arrives home, they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about?
(a) Richard's way of dressing in old clothing.
(b) Richard's rudeness to the clerk in the liquor store.
(c) Richard's careless driving.
(d) Richard's choice of liquor for the party.
4. Why is Dido suspicious when Angela goes out to meet Tycho as he drives up the hill toward her house?
(a) Angela has never done that before.
(b) Dido thinks Angela wants to ask Tycho to take her to Roland's.
(c) Angela has told her that the friendship with Tycho is finished.
(d) Dido doesn't like Tycho.
5. When Tycho tells his mother that he gave Angela $10 rather than buy a gift for the party, how does his mother react?
(a) She is angry and accuses him of never thinking of anyone but himself.
(b) She understands why Tycho chose to do so, once she hears the whole story.
(c) She tells Tycho that because he has no gift, he cannot go to the party.
(d) She is upset because she doesn't like Angela.
6. In Chapter 15, what does Angela do to help one of the accident victims?
(a) Calls the ambulance.
(b) Gives him CPR.
(c) Cuts his shirt off with a knife.
(d) Holds a wet cloth against his wounds.
7. Tycho's mother expresses her opinion of Angela. What does she say?
(a) Angela is from a broken home, so she is unstable.
(b) Angela is unfriendly and negative.
(c) Angela is just using Tycho.
(d) Angela is stuck-up.
8. Roland's comment that he is not the only red-haired man in town is meant to imply what?
(a) That Roland has not actually met Dido.
(b) That Dido was promiscuous.
(c) That Dido lied to Angela.
(d) That Angela was not born in the town.
9. What does Tycho learn in the course of the phone call he makes?
(a) Angela has not returned home yet.
(b) Dido is painting the bathroom.
(c) Tony has a new pet.
(d) Richard is angry at him for not going to the party.
10. Who keeps staring at Angela while she waits in Roland's office?
(a) The receptionist.
(b) The security guard.
(c) No one; she is alone.
(d) Roland's business partner.
11. When Angela tells Roland about growing up poor, what does he disclose to her?
(a) That he didn't even know she existed.
(b) That he never sent child support payments to Dido.
(c) That Dido refused to take money from him for Angela.
(d) That he doesn't really care about what she's experienced.
12. Tycho asks his mother where his name originated. What does his mother tell him?
(a) She saw the name in an advertisement on television.
(b) Her great-great-grandfather was named Tycho.
(c) She saw the name in a magazine at a doctor's office.
(d) There is a star called Tycho, and his mother thought that was a romantic name.
13. During Angela's midnight visit to Tycho's, she tells him he must never _____.
(a) Want another girl.
(b) Tell Dido she has been drinking.
(c) Drink as much as she has tonight.
(d) Ask questions about Roland.
14. When Tycho's family goes to the party, he is home alone and suddenly feels ____.
(a) Uncomfortable with the silence in the house.
(b) Free of his family and happy.
(c) Comfortable; he loves the solitude.
(d) Afraid and nervous.
15. As Tycho and Angela talk over the events of the last few days, they make a decision about their relationship. What do they decide?
(a) To keep their new relationship a secret for a while.
(b) To tell Dido so she wouldn't worry about Robin's influence on Angela anymore.
(c) To see other people.
(d) To pretend nothing has happened between them.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tycho hangs up the phone after the late night call while his family is at the party, what startles him?
2. What does Tycho do while Angela is in the bathroom?
3. What traumatic event happens just after Tycho and Angela spot a car they think is Dido's as they walk toward her house?
4. Tycho's conversation with Dido reveals his mother's feelings about Angela more clearly. Why?
5. The person sitting beside the car is injured. What kind of injury does the person have?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)