|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, it is clear that until now Tycho has been _______.
(a) An intellectual.
(b) A virgin.
(c) Afraid of cats.
(d) Too shy to make a pass at Angela.
2. When Tycho finally gets home at the end of the book, who does he meet as he is coming through the gate to his house?
3. Dido finally tells Angela the truth about how she and Roland parted. What does she say?
(a) Roland promised to divorce his wife so he could marry Dido.
(b) Dido broke up the relationship because she didn't love Roland.
(c) Roland promised to marry her but then disappeared to Australia, and Dido has not seen him since.
(d) Roland joined the Army, and she didn't know where he was.
4. During their telephone call, Dido and Tycho promise each other ____.
(a) To contact each other the next day.
(b) To contact the other if they hear from Angela.
(c) Not to mention to Angela that they've talked.
(d) Not to mention to Tycho's mother that they've talked.
5. When it is clear that Tycho is going to try to help the person trapped in the car, how does Angela initially react?
(a) She faints.
(b) She says it is too late and pleads with him to stay clear of the car.
(c) She says Tycho is a hero.
(d) She is angry at Tycho for playing hero.
6. Angela realizes that Dido has lied to her. What does Roland tell her that reveals the lie?
(a) That Roland's children are aware of Angela.
(b) That Roland is not married and has no children.
(c) That Roland wasn't aware of her existence.
(d) That Dido has kept in contact with him all these years.
7. In Chapter 16, Angela receives a surprise telephone call from _____.
(b) Her grandmother, Roland's mother.
8. As Tycho hangs up the phone after the late night call while his family is at the party, what startles him?
(a) A noise in the attic.
(b) His mother is standing behind him.
(c) Angela is standing behind him.
(d) The radio suddenly turns itself on.
9. What is the significance of the slogan "The Ionions Rule!" in Chapter 12?
(a) It is the slogan on the book Tycho is reading.
(b) It is the slogan of the drink Angela had at the bar.
(c) It is printed on the t-shirt Angela bought Tycho.
(d) It is the slogan of an advertisement Tycho hears on the radio.
10. After Angela calls Dido in Chapter 13, she and Tycho decide to walk to her house because _____.
(a) Angela's car is in the shop for servicing.
(b) Richard refuses to let Tycho use the car.
(c) Tycho's car is broken down.
(d) It is Saturday morning, and there are no buses until later.
11. When Angela tells Roland about growing up poor, what does he disclose to her?
(a) That he didn't even know she existed.
(b) That Dido refused to take money from him for Angela.
(c) That he doesn't really care about what she's experienced.
(d) That he never sent child support payments to Dido.
12. When Angela and Tycho arrive at the scene of the car accident, who asks for their help?
(b) The police officer.
(d) A stranger who has also stopped to help.
13. While Tycho and his mother are talking in the kitchen, what is his mother doing?
(a) Washing dishes.
(b) Rolling a cigarette.
(c) Rolling out pie dough.
(d) Drinking tea and knitting.
14. As Chapter 14 opens, what is Angela doing?
(a) Looking for a telephone.
(b) Running away from the car accident.
(c) Running down the hill toward the car accident.
(d) Walking toward home.
15. Roland's comment that he is not the only red-haired man in town is meant to imply what?
(a) That Roland has not actually met Dido.
(b) That Angela was not born in the town.
(c) That Dido lied to Angela.
(d) That Dido was promiscuous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What traumatic event happens just after Tycho and Angela spot a car they think is Dido's as they walk toward her house?
2. When Richard and Tycho's father arrives home, they are in the middle of an argument. What is the argument about?
3. What do Angela and Tycho notice about the state of the car that was involved in the accident?
4. IN Chapter 11, why did Dido call Tycho earlier in the day?
5. Once he gets off the phone with Dido, Tycho goes outside. What is he planning to do?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)