|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Early in the novel, Tycho made a prediction, which he now learns has come true. What did he predict?
(a) Hamish would soon have a little brother or sister.
(b) Africa would move back home.
(c) Hudson would hit Africa.
(d) Africa would reunite with Hudson.
2. As Tycho hangs up the phone after the late night call while his family is at the party, what startles him?
(a) His mother is standing behind him.
(b) Angela is standing behind him.
(c) The radio suddenly turns itself on.
(d) A noise in the attic.
3. When Tycho's family goes to the party, he is home alone and suddenly feels ____.
(a) Afraid and nervous.
(b) Uncomfortable with the silence in the house.
(c) Free of his family and happy.
(d) Comfortable; he loves the solitude.
4. Roland seems to know that Angela is shocked by what he has told her. What does he say to try to make her feel better?
(a) He says he wouldn't have been an asset in her life, and she is better off with just Dido as a parent.
(b) He tells her that he did love Dido at the time that Angela was conceived.
(c) He tells her he has tried to contact her through the years, but Dido refuses to let him see her.
(d) He tells her that he is sorry for what has happened and asks her to forgive him.
5. When Angela leaves the office building, what does she do?
(a) She goes for coffee with Tycho and tells him what has happened.
(b) She decides to call her mother and tell her she has seen Roland.
(c) She decides to try to see Roland again.
(d) She calls her mother and tells her she will be late getting home.
6. Dido explains why she didn't answer the phone the previous night. What does she say?
(a) She was angry at Angela and didn't want to speak with her.
(b) Angela must have dialed a wrong number.
(c) She was out for a walk and missed the call.
(d) She took the phone off the hook so she could sleep.
7. Who arrives just as Angela and Tycho are preparing to leave the accident scene in search of a phone?
(c) Mrs. Cherry.
(d) The paramedics.
8. After Angela calls Dido in Chapter 13, she and Tycho decide to walk to her house because _____.
(a) It is Saturday morning, and there are no buses until later.
(b) Richard refuses to let Tycho use the car.
(c) Tycho's car is broken down.
(d) Angela's car is in the shop for servicing.
9. In Chapter 11, what book is Tycho reading?
(a) "Black Holes and Other Mysteries."
(b) "The Catalogue of the Universe."
(c) "The Bible."
(d) "Amalthea, the Red Moon of Jupiter."
10. Tycho's mother knows Tycho has a crush on Angela. What does she tell him?
(a) She says Tycho should be happy just being friends because Angela does not return his feelings.
(b) She says Tycho should tell Angela how he feels.
(c) She says he should forget about Angela.
(d) Everyone falls for an unsuitable person at some point, but the feeling will pass.
11. As Tycho and Angela approach the car in Chapter 14, what do they hear?
(a) Someone yelling for the police.
(b) A moan coming from the top of the bridge.
(c) A moan coming from inside the car.
(d) An ambulance siren.
12. The person sitting beside the car is injured. What kind of injury does the person have?
(a) A leg injury.
(b) An arm injury.
(c) A broken neck.
(d) A cut face.
13. Tycho's family is scheduled to go to a party. Who is the party for?
(a) Africa and Hamish.
(d) Africa and Hudson.
14. Angela tells Tycho that she left the bar with a stranger but decided not to sleep with him. Why not?
(a) She thought he looked a bit insane.
(b) She doesn't love him.
(c) She doesn't know his last name.
(d) She doesn't want a bad reputation.
15. Who interrupts the discussion between Angela and Roland?
(b) Roland's mother.
(c) Roland's mother-in-law.
(d) The receptionist.
Short Answer Questions
1. When she suddenly appears at his house, Angela asks Tycho if she can ____.
2. While Angela was at the bar, what was she drinking?
3. Why is Dido suspicious when Angela goes out to meet Tycho as he drives up the hill toward her house?
4. What traumatic event happens just after Tycho and Angela spot a car they think is Dido's as they walk toward her house?
5. Tycho asks his mother where his name originated. What does his mother tell him?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)