|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tycho's conversation with Dido reveals his mother's feelings about Angela more clearly. Why?
(a) His mother has written Dido a letter asking her to keep Angela away from Tycho.
(b) His mother has called Dido and told her to stop Angela from calling anymore.
(c) His mother has not passed on the message that Angela called.
(d) His mother has not passed on the message that Dido called.
2. While Angela and Tcyho are walking to her house, they see what appears to be Dido's car on _________.
(a) Dry Creek Road.
(b) Dry River Run.
(c) Dry Street.
(d) Dry Bed Road.
3. When Roland finally agrees to speak with Angela, how does he refer to her?
(c) Dido May's daughter.
(d) Ms. May.
4. Just as Angela and Tycho free the person trapped in the car, what happens?
(a) Black fog rolls in off the river.
(b) The car explodes and catches fire.
(c) Tycho dies.
(d) The police arrive.
5. Roland's comment that he is not the only red-haired man in town is meant to imply what?
(a) That Dido lied to Angela.
(b) That Roland has not actually met Dido.
(c) That Angela was not born in the town.
(d) That Dido was promiscuous.
6. When Angela tells Roland about growing up poor, what does he disclose to her?
(a) That he didn't even know she existed.
(b) That Dido refused to take money from him for Angela.
(c) That he never sent child support payments to Dido.
(d) That he doesn't really care about what she's experienced.
7. Before the surprise phone call Angela receives, Dido has started to tell her about the past. What has she learned about the caller?
(a) Her grandmother offered Dido money to have an abortion when she was pregnant with Angela.
(b) Africa is having an affair.
(c) Roland disappeared to Australia when he found out Dido was pregnant.
(d) Roland is not actually her father.
8. In Chapter 10, who says, "Life's a real old puzzle, isn't it?"
(c) Tycho's mother.
(d) Tycho's father.
9. Who arrives just as Angela and Tycho are preparing to leave the accident scene in search of a phone?
(b) Mrs. Cherry.
(c) The paramedics.
10. In Chapter 15, what does Angela do to help one of the accident victims?
(a) Calls the ambulance.
(b) Holds a wet cloth against his wounds.
(c) Cuts his shirt off with a knife.
(d) Gives him CPR.
11. At the end of Chapter 9, Angela refuses to take a ride home with Tycho. He gives her $10 and leaves. Where does he go?
(a) For a drive in the hills to think.
(b) For a coffee at the nearby cafe.
(c) Back to the community service project site.
(d) For a walk by the river.
12. As Tycho hangs up the phone after the late night call while his family is at the party, what startles him?
(a) A noise in the attic.
(b) The radio suddenly turns itself on.
(c) His mother is standing behind him.
(d) Angela is standing behind him.
13. In Chapter 9, how is Roland's office building described?
(a) A pink-and-cream structure.
(b) Huge but ugly.
(c) An elegant warehouse.
(d) Boring and efficiently laid out.
14. In Chapter 13, it is clear that until now Tycho has been _______.
(a) Afraid of cats.
(b) Too shy to make a pass at Angela.
(c) A virgin.
(d) An intellectual.
15. In Chapter 14, Angela's most personal fear is revealed. What is it she fears?
(a) That some harm will come to Tycho.
(b) That some harm will come to Dido.
(c) That she will never see Robin again.
(d) That some harm will come to Roland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dido suspicious when Angela goes out to meet Tycho as he drives up the hill toward her house?
2. After Angela calls Dido in Chapter 13, she and Tycho decide to walk to her house because _____.
3. Although the midnight encounter with Angela has changed Tycho in some ways, Chapter 13 demonstrates that he is still his usual practical self. How?
4. What does Tycho learn in the course of the phone call he makes?
5. IN Chapter 11, why did Dido call Tycho earlier in the day?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)