|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tycho advised Angela to do about her father?
(a) Send him a letter.
(b) Ask her mother to set up a meeting.
(c) Write him off and forget about him.
(d) Telephone him and ask if the two can meet.
2. When Tycho points out that her father doesn't seem very happy to see Angela, how does she react?
(a) Angela says Tycho is being too negative.
(b) Angela says he probably didn't recognize her.
(c) Angela defends him.
(d) Angela gets angry with Tycho.
3. In Chapter 3, how is Richard described?
(a) Rebellious but good-hearted.
(b) Lazy but kind.
(c) Easygoing with an ironic sense of humor.
(d) Rebellious, irresponsible, and selfish.
4. Angela's mother says she couldn't stay with Angela's father because ____.
(a) He didn't know she was pregnant.
(b) He was married.
(c) He didn't love her.
(d) He was moving to Wales.
5. When Angela looks out the window at the beginning of the book, she sees her mother ___.
(a) In her nightgown.
(b) In her car.
(c) In her underwear.
(d) In her jogging suit.
6. What philosophical idea does Tycho discuss with Angela?
(a) That the world is symmetrical.
(b) That the earth revolves around the sun.
(c) That truth is only an idea.
(d) That the world is only an idea.
7. In Chapter 4, which character speaks the line: "Where do we go from here?"
8. Dido used to tell Angela a story about a young girl. What was the girl's name?
(a) Roland Chase.
(b) Angela Foster.
(c) Angela Roland.
(d) Dido Roland.
9. According to Tycho, what property does truth have?
(a) Truth hurts.
(b) Truth wobbles.
(c) Truth is impossible.
(d) Truth is the opposite of imagination.
10. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
(a) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to call the police.
(b) Angela wants to tell Tycho about her conversation with her mother.
(c) Angela wants Tycho to help her find her father.
(d) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to come and get her.
11. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
(a) "It's reasonable. But is it realistic?"
(b) "What's the point in being reasonable when it doesn't get you what you want?"
(c) "It's reasonable to want to know who your parents are. But that doesn't mean they'll want to know who you are."
(d) "What's the use of being reasonable when no one else is?"
12. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
(a) Tycho doesn't like the idea at all.
(b) Tycho doesn't like the idea and refuses to help.
(c) Tycho says that the plan is just plain silly.
(d) Tycho thinks Angela will not be satisfied until she finds out the truth, so he supports her plan.
13. How does Tycho respond to Angela's threat regarding her plan?
(a) He knows she is serious, but he won't help her because it goes against his conscience.
(b) He is afraid that if he doesn't go along, the friendship will be ruined.
(c) He doesn't believe she will do what she says she will.
(d) He knows she is serious, so he agrees to help.
14. Angela's mother's name is ____.
15. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
(a) Their parents are too old.
(b) Their mother will end up being a built-in babysitter.
(c) The house is too small.
(d) Their parents can't afford to take care of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 5 highlights the huge difference between Angela's and Roland's ____.
2. Africa changes her story in the second phone call. What does she say?
3. Chapter 4 reveals that, with respect to Robin, Tycho feels ____.
4. Angela says she has also seen her father another time. Where?
5. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)