|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Angela do when the two men enter the building she and Tycho are in?
(a) Pretends she doesn't see the two men.
(b) Starts talking to Tycho and ignores the men.
(c) Removes her sunglasses and stares at one of the men.
(d) Turns her back.
2. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
(a) Angela wants Tycho to help her find her father.
(b) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to call the police.
(c) Angela wants to tell Tycho about her conversation with her mother.
(d) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to come and get her.
3. In Chapter 3, how is Tycho portrayed?
(a) Responsible but lazy.
(b) Responsible, serious, and trustworthy.
(c) Funny but somewhat dim-witted.
(d) Irresponsible but kind.
4. Africa changes her story in the second phone call. What does she say?
(a) Her husband didn't hit her; he threatened to hit her.
(b) She actually hit her husband.
(c) Her husband hit the baby.
(d) Her husband isn't even home.
5. While Angela and Dido are discussing whether being exposed to loud music is good or bad, what view does Dido take?
(a) It is a test of intelligence.
(b) It is a silly thing to do because it can damage someone's hearing.
(c) It is a test of stamina.
(d) It is fine as long as someone doesn't do it constantly.
6. What is the significance, in Chapter 3, of the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void."
(a) Tycho quotes this to Richard.
(b) Angela has given Tycho a card with this quote on it.
(c) Tycho has pinned this quote over his bed.
(d) Tycho's father is an atomic scientist.
7. Why does Angela resort to threats in an attempt to get Tycho's support for her plan?
(a) She is afraid he will succeed in talking her out of her plan.
(b) She knows Tycho has a crush on her and can be forced to do whatever she asks of him.
(c) She knows he will not allow her to go through the experience alone.
(d) She is manipulative by nature.
8. Angela's boyfriend's name is ____.
9. What philosophical idea does Tycho discuss with Angela?
(a) That the world is only an idea.
(b) That the earth revolves around the sun.
(c) That truth is only an idea.
(d) That the world is symmetrical.
10. When Tycho points out that her father doesn't seem very happy to see Angela, how does she react?
(a) Angela says he probably didn't recognize her.
(b) Angela says Tycho is being too negative.
(c) Angela defends him.
(d) Angela gets angry with Tycho.
11. When Angela looks out the window at the beginning of the book, she sees her mother ___.
(a) In her nightgown.
(b) In her car.
(c) In her jogging suit.
(d) In her underwear.
12. According to Tycho, what property does truth have?
(a) Truth wobbles.
(b) Truth is the opposite of imagination.
(c) Truth is impossible.
(d) Truth hurts.
13. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
(a) She likes living alone.
(b) She doesn't want to disrupt her lifestyle.
(c) She doesn't want to get Angela's hopes up.
(d) She is too tired to pursue a relationship, and they've both changed too much.
14. Why does Tycho respond to Angela's plan regarding her father in the way he initially does?
(a) He is afraid Angela will get hurt if her father rejects her again.
(b) He thinks Dido will be upset and not let him see Angela anymore.
(c) He suspects Roland is not her father, and he doesn't want her to be embarrassed.
(d) He thinks Angela is just being self-absorbed.
15. What has Tycho advised Angela to do about her father?
(a) Telephone him and ask if the two can meet.
(b) Write him off and forget about him.
(c) Send him a letter.
(d) Ask her mother to set up a meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard tells his father that both he and Tycho feel _____ toward Africa.
2. How does Tycho know that Angela's explanation about the two men who came out of the building is a lie?
3. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
4. Tycho is surprised when he watches Richard dressing. Why?
5. When Angela finds out where her father lives, what does she do?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)