|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the man Angela believes to be her father described in Chapter 5?
(a) A gentle person.
(b) Well-groomed but unattractive.
(c) A rich, successful, well-dressed businessman.
2. Angela's boyfriend's name is ____.
3. Where is the building the two men emerge from?
(a) At the edge of a dark woods.
(b) Beside a deep pond.
(c) At a fork between two roads.
(d) At the convergence of three roads.
4. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
(a) He is anxious because he doesn't like her baby.
(b) He is happy because he misses her.
(c) He is annoyed because she is noisy.
(d) He is angry because he doesn't want to share a room with Tycho.
5. What philosopher does Tycho mention in Chapter 4?
6. What reasoning does Angela initially give Tycho about her plan regarding her father?
(a) She says that her father has always been a stranger and should remain so.
(b) She says she wants only to have him see her face to face.
(c) She says she wants only to hear him say her name.
(d) She says she is attempting to meet her father for her mother's sake.
7. What does Angela threaten when she hears what Tycho has to say about her plan?
(a) That she respects his opinion, and if he wants to leave, she will still be his friend regardless.
(b) That she will spread gossip about Tycho if he doesn't go along with the plan.
(c) That if Tycho won't support her plan, she will just come back another day.
(d) That the friendship will be over if Tycho doesn't support her plan.
8. Chapter 8 makes clear that Tycho has another reason for responding to Angela's plan as he does. What is the other reason?
(a) He thinks Dido will be upset with him for helping Angela.
(b) He thinks Robin will be upset with him for helping Angela.
(c) He thinks Angela's father is self-absorbed.
(d) He is afraid Angela's father will represent competition for her attention and affections.
9. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
(a) Tycho says that the plan is just plain silly.
(b) Tycho thinks Angela will not be satisfied until she finds out the truth, so he supports her plan.
(c) Tycho doesn't like the idea and refuses to help.
(d) Tycho doesn't like the idea at all.
10. Tycho refers to his past attempts to impress people by making them think he was ____.
(d) Good at sports.
11. Angela says she has also seen her father another time. Where?
(a) Walking on the street with his wife.
(b) In his office.
(c) Walking on the street with a young woman.
(d) At the library.
12. Africa's husband's name is ____.
13. How do Richard and Tycho describe Africa?
(a) A silly girl.
(b) An intellectual.
(c) A drama queen.
(d) A good mother.
14. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
(a) She doesn't want to disrupt her lifestyle.
(b) She likes living alone.
(c) She is too tired to pursue a relationship, and they've both changed too much.
(d) She doesn't want to get Angela's hopes up.
15. In Chapter 3, how is Richard described?
(a) Rebellious, irresponsible, and selfish.
(b) Easygoing with an ironic sense of humor.
(c) Rebellious but good-hearted.
(d) Lazy but kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
2. Tycho says people avoided him when he was younger because ___.
3. What is Tycho's reaction to whom he and Angela encounter as they walk along the street?
4. Angela points out a sign on a building to Tycho. What does the sign say?
5. How does the man Angela believes is her father react when he sees her?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)