|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tycho says people avoided him when he was younger because ___.
(a) They were afraid he would be rude to them.
(b) Richard spread lies about him.
(c) His father is disabled.
(d) His mother is mean.
2. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
(a) She is too tired to pursue a relationship, and they've both changed too much.
(b) She doesn't want to get Angela's hopes up.
(c) She likes living alone.
(d) She doesn't want to disrupt her lifestyle.
3. Angela's boyfriend's name is ____.
4. The morning after the middle-of-the-night phone call, why does Richard go into Tycho's room?
(a) He wants to borrow money.
(b) He wants to wake Tycho up.
(c) He wants to complain about their sister.
(d) Richard's clothes are still in Tycho's room.
5. What philosophical idea does Tycho discuss with Angela?
(a) That truth is only an idea.
(b) That the world is only an idea.
(c) That the earth revolves around the sun.
(d) That the world is symmetrical.
6. How does Tycho respond to Angela's threat regarding her plan?
(a) He is afraid that if he doesn't go along, the friendship will be ruined.
(b) He knows she is serious, but he won't help her because it goes against his conscience.
(c) He doesn't believe she will do what she says she will.
(d) He knows she is serious, so he agrees to help.
7. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
(a) It is her first wedding anniversary.
(b) It is her birthday.
(c) It is her baby's birthday.
(d) It is her second wedding anniversary.
8. According to Tycho, what property does truth have?
(a) Truth is the opposite of imagination.
(b) Truth wobbles.
(c) Truth hurts.
(d) Truth is impossible.
9. When Angela finds out where her father lives, what does she do?
(a) Goes to his house and stands outside.
(b) Phones him.
(c) Goes to his house and rings the bell.
(d) Nothing; she is afraid to actually face her father.
10. How does the man Angela believes is her father react when he sees her?
(a) Nothing; he doesn't see her.
(b) He gapes at her in disbelief and then turns his back.
(c) He gapes at her in disbelief and then asks her name.
(d) He smiles and then goes back out the door.
11. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
(a) The Gladstone.
(b) The Victoria Club.
(c) The Gladiator.
(d) The Gladheart.
12. In Chapter 7, which character says, "I'm so used to it, I forget it can be changed"?
13. When her mother asks why Angela doesn't date Tycho instead of Robin, what reason does she give?
(a) Tycho is too serious.
(b) She isn't attracted to Tycho.
(c) Tycho is her best friend, and she doesn't want to ruin their friendship.
(d) Tycho is too lighthearted.
14. How does Angela rationalize her father's reaction to seeing her?
(a) She thinks perhaps she is mistaken and the man isn't really her father.
(b) She says it is understandable that he wouldn't acknowledge her in public.
(c) She convinces herself that her father didn't recognize her.
(d) She convinces herself that her father is just shocked to see her.
15. What sound does Angela hear when she wakes up?
(a) Her mother mowing the grass.
(b) Her mother scything the grass.
(c) Her mother talking to herself.
(d) Her mother playing the harp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Africa changes her story in the second phone call. What does she say?
2. Angela points out a sign on a building to Tycho. What does the sign say?
3. In the first scene in the novel, Angela is awakened by ____.
4. Angela has an idea of what she and Tycho can do for the day in Chapter 3. What does she propose?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, when Angela wakes up the morning after seeing her father, what does she decide to do?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)