|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how is Tycho portrayed?
(a) Funny but somewhat dim-witted.
(b) Responsible but lazy.
(c) Irresponsible but kind.
(d) Responsible, serious, and trustworthy.
2. When her mother asks why Angela doesn't date Tycho instead of Robin, what reason does she give?
(a) Tycho is too serious.
(b) Tycho is her best friend, and she doesn't want to ruin their friendship.
(c) She isn't attracted to Tycho.
(d) Tycho is too lighthearted.
3. In Chapter 7, which character says, "I'm so used to it, I forget it can be changed"?
4. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
(a) Their mother will end up being a built-in babysitter.
(b) Their parents can't afford to take care of her.
(c) Their parents are too old.
(d) The house is too small.
5. Tycho is surprised when he watches Richard dressing. Why?
(a) Richard is wearing a tie.
(b) Richard is dressing in his best clothes.
(c) Richard puts on a pair of clean briefs and then a pair of old ones with holes over top.
(d) Richard puts on a pair of his father's socks.
6. Angela sense that Tycho's mother doesn't approve of her. What does she do?
(a) Angela is excessively polite to Mrs. Potter.
(b) Angela ignores Mrs. Potter.
(c) Angela pretends Mrs. Potter is invisible.
(d) Angela flirts with Mr. Potter.
7. Angela wants Tycho to agree that wanting to meet her father is reasonable. What does Tycho say in response?
(a) "What's the use of being reasonable when no one else is?"
(b) "What's the point in being reasonable when it doesn't get you what you want?"
(c) "It's reasonable to want to know who your parents are. But that doesn't mean they'll want to know who you are."
(d) "It's reasonable. But is it realistic?"
8. Tycho confides to Angela that when he was younger he had a reputation as ____.
(d) Too mature.
9. Who drives the car in Chapter 8?
10. Africa's parents do not pick her up because ____.
(a) It's too early.
(b) She lives too far away.
(c) She and her husband make up.
(d) She decides to go to a friend's house.
11. Richard jokes that Africa's husband should have ____.
(b) Hit her harder, to knock her out.
(c) Left her.
(d) Drove her to her parents himself.
12. Being from a single-parent family, Angela considers herself part of _____.
(a) The missing-parent group.
(b) The broken-home fellowship.
(c) Nothing; she doesn't really think about it.
(d) The broken-home gang.
13. What does Angela say that indicates she has romanticized the relationship between her mother and father?
(a) That her mother and father are in love, despite the passing of time.
(b) That Roland is miserable without Dido but noble to have chosen to stay with his wife.
(c) That they are married in every cell of Angela's body.
(d) That if Roland met Angela, he would remember how much he loved Dido.
14. In Chapter 4, which character speaks the line: "Where do we go from here?"
15. Dido tells Angela she would prefer Angela date Tycho rather than Robin. Why?
(a) Dido thinks Robin is stuck-up and selfish.
(b) Dido thinks Tycho is safer.
(c) Dido thinks Robin lacks imagination.
(d) Dido simply likes Tycho better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 reveals that Tycho's mother is effectively the head of the household. Why?
2. Angela has an idea of what she and Tycho can do for the day in Chapter 3. What does she propose?
3. What motivates Angela to search for her father?
4. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
5. In Chapter 3, how is Richard described?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)