|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angela has an idea of what she and Tycho can do for the day in Chapter 3. What does she propose?
(a) Write letters of protest to politicians.
(b) Skip their community-service project and go to the beach.
(c) Skip school and go to a concert.
(d) Skip their community-service project and go see a movie.
2. How does the man Angela believes is her father react when he sees her?
(a) He smiles and then goes back out the door.
(b) He gapes at her in disbelief and then turns his back.
(c) Nothing; he doesn't see her.
(d) He gapes at her in disbelief and then asks her name.
3. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
(a) Their parents can't afford to take care of her.
(b) Their parents are too old.
(c) Their mother will end up being a built-in babysitter.
(d) The house is too small.
4. In the first scene in the novel, Angela is awakened by ____.
(a) A cat meowing.
(b) Moonlight through the window.
(c) The sound of a lawn mower.
5. In Chapter 7, which character says, "I'm so used to it, I forget it can be changed"?
6. In Chapter 4, which character speaks the line: "Where do we go from here?"
7. What is Angela's nickname for her best friend?
8. Africa's husband's name is ____.
9. How does Tycho know that Angela's explanation about the two men who came out of the building is a lie?
(a) The men don't speak English.
(b) One of the men bears a striking resemblance to Angela.
(c) The men are Robin's father and his brother.
(d) One of the men is his own uncle.
10. What does Angela do when the two men enter the building she and Tycho are in?
(a) Turns her back.
(b) Pretends she doesn't see the two men.
(c) Removes her sunglasses and stares at one of the men.
(d) Starts talking to Tycho and ignores the men.
11. Angela's best friend's name is ___.
12. Angela's mother says she couldn't stay with Angela's father because ____.
(a) He was moving to Wales.
(b) He didn't love her.
(c) He didn't know she was pregnant.
(d) He was married.
13. When Tycho hears Angela's explanation of what she wants her plan to accomplish, what does he believe?
(a) Tycho thinks Angela's explanation makes sense.
(b) Tycho believes Angela will not go through with the plan.
(c) Tycho believes Angela is kidding herself.
(d) Tycho thinks Angela is lying to him.
14. Africa's parents do not pick her up because ____.
(a) It's too early.
(b) She decides to go to a friend's house.
(c) She and her husband make up.
(d) She lives too far away.
15. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
(a) Africa will never move back home.
(b) If Africa moves back home, her husband will divorce her.
(c) If Africa moves back home, Tycho will move away.
(d) Africa won't move back home this time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Angela resort to threats in an attempt to get Tycho's support for her plan?
2. What is Angela's response when the man she believes is her father reacts the way he does?
3. What motivates Angela to search for her father?
4. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
5. What does Angela threaten when she hears what Tycho has to say about her plan?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)