|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angela tells Tycho that she first tried to find her father by ____.
(a) Googling his name.
(b) Consulting the phone book.
(c) Asking her mother for details.
(d) Hiring a private investigator.
2. Africa's husband's name is ____.
3. Who drives the car in Chapter 8?
4. How does Chapter 8 end?
(a) Angela gets out of the car, changes her mind, and gets back in.
(b) Tycho drives away and leaves Angela alone.
(c) Tycho falls asleep while waiting for Angela to come back.
(d) Angela gets out of the car and walks toward her father's office.
5. Angela points out a sign on a building to Tycho. What does the sign say?
(a) Ronald Chase Agencies.
(b) Roland Cross Agency.
(c) Ronald Real Estate.
(d) Roland Chase Agencies.
6. What motivates Angela to search for her father?
(a) She senses that her mother wants to reunite with her father.
(b) She wants to find out for sure if her father is dead.
(c) She senses her mother is not telling her the whole truth.
(d) She wants to ask him for financial help for her and her mother.
7. How does Angela rationalize her father's reaction to seeing her?
(a) She convinces herself that her father is just shocked to see her.
(b) She says it is understandable that he wouldn't acknowledge her in public.
(c) She thinks perhaps she is mistaken and the man isn't really her father.
(d) She convinces herself that her father didn't recognize her.
8. According to Tycho, what property does truth have?
(a) Truth is impossible.
(b) Truth wobbles.
(c) Truth hurts.
(d) Truth is the opposite of imagination.
9. What does Angela say that indicates she has romanticized the relationship between her mother and father?
(a) That Roland is miserable without Dido but noble to have chosen to stay with his wife.
(b) That her mother and father are in love, despite the passing of time.
(c) That if Roland met Angela, he would remember how much he loved Dido.
(d) That they are married in every cell of Angela's body.
10. Africa's parents do not pick her up because ____.
(a) It's too early.
(b) She and her husband make up.
(c) She decides to go to a friend's house.
(d) She lives too far away.
11. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
(a) He is annoyed because she is noisy.
(b) He is happy because he misses her.
(c) He is angry because he doesn't want to share a room with Tycho.
(d) He is anxious because he doesn't like her baby.
12. What reason does Dido give for being worried about Angela driving the car on the winding road home?
(a) Dido thinks Angela is not a very careful driver.
(b) The car is not insured, and she is worried it will break down.
(c) The road is too dark, and Dido is worried that Angela will get lost.
(d) The road is dangerous, with a lot of traffic.
13. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
(a) The Gladiator.
(b) The Gladheart.
(c) The Victoria Club.
(d) The Gladstone.
14. How does the man Angela believes is her father react when he sees her?
(a) Nothing; he doesn't see her.
(b) He gapes at her in disbelief and then asks her name.
(c) He smiles and then goes back out the door.
(d) He gapes at her in disbelief and then turns his back.
15. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
(a) Chosen and wanted.
(d) Less anxious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
2. What does Angela threaten when she hears what Tycho has to say about her plan?
3. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
4. In the first scene in the novel, Angela is awakened by ____.
5. What is Angela's response when the man she believes is her father reacts the way he does?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)