|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
(a) An accident.
(b) Like a fairy tale.
(d) Like a movie.
2. When Angela looks out the window at the beginning of the book, she sees her mother ___.
(a) In her nightgown.
(b) In her car.
(c) In her underwear.
(d) In her jogging suit.
3. What is Tycho's response to Angela's plan regarding her father?
(a) Tycho says that the plan is just plain silly.
(b) Tycho thinks Angela will not be satisfied until she finds out the truth, so he supports her plan.
(c) Tycho doesn't like the idea at all.
(d) Tycho doesn't like the idea and refuses to help.
4. In the first scene in the novel, Angela is awakened by ____.
(a) A cat meowing.
(b) Moonlight through the window.
(c) The sound of a lawn mower.
5. Dido suggests that she and Angela do something different this morning. What does she suggest?
(a) Going to church.
(b) A picnic breakfast.
(c) Going to a cafe for breakfast.
6. Angela looks to Tycho to affirm that her curiosity about her father is natural. How does he respond?
(a) Tycho says he doesn't understand why Angela doesn't just leave the past in the past.
(b) Tycho says natural curiosity should be explored.
(c) Tycho says that giving in to natural curiosity doesn't always bring about hoped-for results.
(d) Tycho says Angela is being obsessive.
7. Tycho compares common sense and ______.
8. When Angela brings up the idea of a reconciliation between her parents, her mother rejects the idea. Why?
(a) She likes living alone.
(b) She is too tired to pursue a relationship, and they've both changed too much.
(c) She doesn't want to get Angela's hopes up.
(d) She doesn't want to disrupt her lifestyle.
9. What is the purpose of the early-morning phone call in Chapter 2?
(a) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to come and get her.
(b) Angela wants to tell Tycho about her conversation with her mother.
(c) Angela wants Tycho to help her find her father.
(d) Africa has had an argument with her husband and wants her parents to call the police.
10. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
(a) He is angry because he doesn't want to share a room with Tycho.
(b) He is anxious because he doesn't like her baby.
(c) He is annoyed because she is noisy.
(d) He is happy because he misses her.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 7, when Angela wakes up the morning after seeing her father, what does she decide to do?
(a) To go to his office and confront him.
(b) To ask her mother to tell her the whole story about the relationship between Dido and Roland.
(c) To go back to the venue where she saw him the day before.
(d) To write him a letter.
12. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
(b) Chosen and wanted.
(c) Less anxious.
13. Africa changes her story in the second phone call. What does she say?
(a) She actually hit her husband.
(b) Her husband hit the baby.
(c) Her husband isn't even home.
(d) Her husband didn't hit her; he threatened to hit her.
14. Tycho confides to Angela that when he was younger he had a reputation as ____.
(b) Too mature.
15. Dido tells Angela she would prefer Angela date Tycho rather than Robin. Why?
(a) Dido thinks Tycho is safer.
(b) Dido thinks Robin is stuck-up and selfish.
(c) Dido simply likes Tycho better.
(d) Dido thinks Robin lacks imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the man Angela believes to be her father described in Chapter 5?
2. What was the story that Dido used to recount to Angela titled?
3. Tcyho and Angela park the car in Chapter 5, and as they are walking down the street, whom do they encounter?
4. When Tycho hears Angela's explanation of what she wants her plan to accomplish, what does he believe?
5. Which is the eldest of the siblings in Tycho's family?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)