Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angela says she has also seen her father another time. Where?
(a) Walking on the street with a young woman.
(b) Walking on the street with his wife.
(c) At the library.
(d) In his office.
2. When Tycho hears Angela's explanation of what she wants her plan to accomplish, what does he believe?
(a) Tycho thinks Angela is lying to him.
(b) Tycho believes Angela is kidding herself.
(c) Tycho thinks Angela's explanation makes sense.
(d) Tycho believes Angela will not go through with the plan.
3. Near the end of Chapter 8 Tycho agrees to ______.
(a) Wait in the car for Angela.
(b) Come back later with Angela.
(c) Pick Angela up in an hour.
(d) Come back later, alone, and speak to Roland.
4. Richard jokes that Africa's husband should have ____.
(a) Drove her to her parents himself.
(c) Hit her harder, to knock her out.
(d) Left her.
5. Dido used to tell Angela a story about a young girl. What was the girl's name?
(a) Dido Roland.
(b) Angela Roland.
(c) Roland Chase.
(d) Angela Foster.
6. What is Angela's response when the man she believes is her father reacts the way he does?
(a) She makes a joke to Tycho about how they resemble each other.
(b) She starts to cry.
(c) She gets angry.
(d) She sighs a sigh of relief.
7. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
(a) He is angry because he doesn't want to share a room with Tycho.
(b) He is happy because he misses her.
(c) He is anxious because he doesn't like her baby.
(d) He is annoyed because she is noisy.
8. What has Tycho advised Angela to do about her father?
(a) Write him off and forget about him.
(b) Telephone him and ask if the two can meet.
(c) Send him a letter.
(d) Ask her mother to set up a meeting.
9. What motivates Angela to search for her father?
(a) She senses that her mother wants to reunite with her father.
(b) She senses her mother is not telling her the whole truth.
(c) She wants to find out for sure if her father is dead.
(d) She wants to ask him for financial help for her and her mother.
10. Angela tells Dido that the night before, she and Robin went to hear a band at ____.
(a) The Gladheart.
(b) The Victoria Club.
(c) The Gladstone.
(d) The Gladiator.
11. In Chapter 3, how is Richard described?
(a) Rebellious, irresponsible, and selfish.
(b) Lazy but kind.
(c) Easygoing with an ironic sense of humor.
(d) Rebellious but good-hearted.
12. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
(a) Their parents are too old.
(b) The house is too small.
(c) Their mother will end up being a built-in babysitter.
(d) Their parents can't afford to take care of her.
13. What philosopher does Tycho mention in Chapter 4?
14. Tycho confides to Angela that when he was younger he had a reputation as ____.
(d) Too mature.
15. Why does Tycho respond to Angela's plan regarding her father in the way he initially does?
(a) He is afraid Angela will get hurt if her father rejects her again.
(b) He thinks Dido will be upset and not let him see Angela anymore.
(c) He thinks Angela is just being self-absorbed.
(d) He suspects Roland is not her father, and he doesn't want her to be embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance, in Chapter 3, of the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void."
2. Chapter 8 makes clear that Tycho has another reason for responding to Angela's plan as he does. What is the other reason?
3. When Tycho points out that her father doesn't seem very happy to see Angela, how does she react?
4. Both Angela and Tycho think that Dido doesn't renovate the house because ____.
5. Chapter 3 reveals that Tycho's mother is effectively the head of the household. Why?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)