|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tycho is surprised when he watches Richard dressing. Why?
(a) Richard is dressing in his best clothes.
(b) Richard is wearing a tie.
(c) Richard puts on a pair of clean briefs and then a pair of old ones with holes over top.
(d) Richard puts on a pair of his father's socks.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, when Angela wakes up the morning after seeing her father, what does she decide to do?
(a) To go to his office and confront him.
(b) To ask her mother to tell her the whole story about the relationship between Dido and Roland.
(c) To go back to the venue where she saw him the day before.
(d) To write him a letter.
3. Tycho refers to his past attempts to impress people by making them think he was ____.
(b) Good at sports.
4. In Chapter 4, which character speaks the line: "Where do we go from here?"
5. Chapter 8 makes clear that Tycho has another reason for responding to Angela's plan as he does. What is the other reason?
(a) He is afraid Angela's father will represent competition for her attention and affections.
(b) He thinks Angela's father is self-absorbed.
(c) He thinks Dido will be upset with him for helping Angela.
(d) He thinks Robin will be upset with him for helping Angela.
6. Angela looks to Tycho to affirm that her curiosity about her father is natural. How does he respond?
(a) Tycho says he doesn't understand why Angela doesn't just leave the past in the past.
(b) Tycho says Angela is being obsessive.
(c) Tycho says natural curiosity should be explored.
(d) Tycho says that giving in to natural curiosity doesn't always bring about hoped-for results.
7. Angela points out a sign on a building to Tycho. What does the sign say?
(a) Roland Cross Agency.
(b) Ronald Chase Agencies.
(c) Roland Chase Agencies.
(d) Ronald Real Estate.
8. Where is the building the two men emerge from?
(a) At the convergence of three roads.
(b) At a fork between two roads.
(c) At the edge of a dark woods.
(d) Beside a deep pond.
9. Richard says it wouldn't be fair to their parents if Africa moves back home. Why?
(a) Their mother will end up being a built-in babysitter.
(b) Their parents are too old.
(c) Their parents can't afford to take care of her.
(d) The house is too small.
10. Africa's parents do not pick her up because ____.
(a) It's too early.
(b) She decides to go to a friend's house.
(c) She and her husband make up.
(d) She lives too far away.
11. What is the significance, in Chapter 3, of the quote, "Nothing exists but atoms and the void."
(a) Tycho quotes this to Richard.
(b) Angela has given Tycho a card with this quote on it.
(c) Tycho's father is an atomic scientist.
(d) Tycho has pinned this quote over his bed.
12. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
(a) If Africa moves back home, Tycho will move away.
(b) If Africa moves back home, her husband will divorce her.
(c) Africa will never move back home.
(d) Africa won't move back home this time.
13. What was the story that Dido used to recount to Angela titled?
(a) "The Great Chase."
(b) "Angela Roland."
(c) "The Mysterious Chase."
(d) "The Great Mystery."
14. When two men emerge from the building across the street, Angela seems to recognize them. Tycho asks who they are. What does Angel tell him?
(a) She says she is having an affair with a much older man.
(b) She says one of the men is her father.
(c) She says one of the men is her uncle.
(d) She says she doesn't know.
15. Angela likes to hear the story of the relationship between her mother and father because it makes her feel ____.
(b) Less anxious.
(c) Chosen and wanted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angela say that indicates she has romanticized the relationship between her mother and father?
2. What is Tycho's reaction to whom he and Angela encounter as they walk along the street?
3. When Robin offers to pick Angela up later in the day, she refuses. Why?
4. What reasoning does Angela initially give Tycho about her plan regarding her father?
5. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)