|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angela has an idea of what she and Tycho can do for the day in Chapter 3. What does she propose?
(a) Skip their community-service project and go to the beach.
(b) Write letters of protest to politicians.
(c) Skip their community-service project and go see a movie.
(d) Skip school and go to a concert.
2. How does Tycho know that Angela's explanation about the two men who came out of the building is a lie?
(a) The men don't speak English.
(b) The men are Robin's father and his brother.
(c) One of the men is his own uncle.
(d) One of the men bears a striking resemblance to Angela.
3. Angela's mother says she couldn't stay with Angela's father because ____.
(a) He didn't know she was pregnant.
(b) He was married.
(c) He was moving to Wales.
(d) He didn't love her.
4. Africa's parents do not pick her up because ____.
(a) It's too early.
(b) She decides to go to a friend's house.
(c) She and her husband make up.
(d) She lives too far away.
5. In Chapter 8, Angela meets up with Tycho again, and tells him ____.
(a) About her idea that Roland is not really her father.
(b) About her plan to go to her father's office.
(c) That she is going to forget about trying to meet her father.
(d) That Dido and Angela had an argument.
6. What is Richard's reaction to the news that Africa is coming home?
(a) He is angry because he doesn't want to share a room with Tycho.
(b) He is annoyed because she is noisy.
(c) He is anxious because he doesn't like her baby.
(d) He is happy because he misses her.
7. Tycho compares common sense and ______.
8. According to Tycho, what property does truth have?
(a) Truth is the opposite of imagination.
(b) Truth hurts.
(c) Truth wobbles.
(d) Truth is impossible.
9. The morning after the middle-of-the-night phone call, why does Richard go into Tycho's room?
(a) He wants to complain about their sister.
(b) Richard's clothes are still in Tycho's room.
(c) He wants to borrow money.
(d) He wants to wake Tycho up.
10. What philosophical idea does Tycho discuss with Angela?
(a) That the earth revolves around the sun.
(b) That the world is only an idea.
(c) That truth is only an idea.
(d) That the world is symmetrical.
11. Richard is groaning about the possibility that Africa will return home. What does Tycho tell him?
(a) Africa won't move back home this time.
(b) If Africa moves back home, Tycho will move away.
(c) If Africa moves back home, her husband will divorce her.
(d) Africa will never move back home.
12. Richard tells his father that both he and Tycho feel _____ toward Africa.
13. While Angela and Dido are discussing whether being exposed to loud music is good or bad, what view does Dido take?
(a) It is fine as long as someone doesn't do it constantly.
(b) It is a silly thing to do because it can damage someone's hearing.
(c) It is a test of intelligence.
(d) It is a test of stamina.
14. Angela's best friend's name is ___.
15. When her mother asks why Angela doesn't date Tycho instead of Robin, what reason does she give?
(a) She isn't attracted to Tycho.
(b) Tycho is too lighthearted.
(c) Tycho is her best friend, and she doesn't want to ruin their friendship.
(d) Tycho is too serious.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, which character speaks the line: "Where do we go from here?"
2. As Angela and Tycho are leaving the house, his mother reminds him to buy a present for Africa. Why?
3. When Angela asks her mother to tell her how her parents met, her mother says it was ____.
4. Dido suggests that she and Angela do something different this morning. What does she suggest?
5. Robin and Angela make plans to meet later at the ____.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)