* Angela May and her mother, Dido, are introduced.
* Angela wakes up in the middle of the night to find her mother scything the lawn.
* Angela asks Dido to tell her the story of how she met Roland, Angela's absent father.
* Dido tells the familiar story. She and Roland were in love. Angela was a wanted child, but the couple could not marry because Roland had a wife and children already, and he did the noble thing and kept his family intact.
* Angela questions Dido about whether a reunion is possible between DIdo and Roland, but Dido says she is too tired to put energy into a romantic relationship.
* Dido says the two things she values are Angela and solitude, and there is no room in her life for anything else.
* Angela goes back to bed thinking about Tycho, her best friend, and Robin, her boyfriend.
This section contains 2,188 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)