|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierce steal in Bay Head, New Jersey?
2. Where does Cross go in Chapter 112?
3. What does Pierce say to Sampson before he leaves Princeton to go to Paris?
4. What newspaper does Mr. Smith spread over the linoleum in the farmhouse kitchen?
5. What does Pierce receive at 2:15 AM when he is searching for Sante?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Cross expected to live after being attacked in his home?
2. What does Pierce find in Conklin's cellar?
3. What do Pierce and Sampson discover on Walter Murphy's farm?
4. In Part 5, does Pierce know that Cross is out of the hospital?
5. What does Cross notice about Pierce's apartment?
6. What is Soneji's state of mind as he hurries through Bellevue on his way to the fourth floor?
7. How does Mr. Smith interfere with Cross' time with his children in the grocery store?
8. Describe Sondra Greenberg.
9. What does Christine like about Laura Dixon's first grade students?
10. Does Cross try to save Pierce from killing himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Cross solves the puzzle of Pierce's/Smith's next victim. Who does Cross think the "S" victim will be? Why? How does it turn out differently?
Essay Topic 2
Describe one setting of the novel. Discuss its importance to the plot and its affect on the characters. Provide specific setting details to support your idea.
Essay Topic 3
What happens the night of the celebration surprise party in the Cross home? How does Nana find help for the family? What is the extent of the family's injuries?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)