|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cross' condition when Pierce calls the hospital in Chapter 82?
2. From where does Pierce fly to get to Washington?
3. What kind of jokes do Pierce and Greenberg share when they are searching for Mr. Smith?
4. What office is on the main floor of Bellevue Hospital about which Soneji gets nervous?
5. Where does Soneji's recurring nightmare take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pierce think about his discovery of evidence in the coal stove in Cross' cellar?
2. What does Pierce find in Conklin's cellar?
3. Is Abel Sante well-liked?
4. What does Cross notice about Pierce's apartment?
5. Why does Christine travel in an FBI sedan?
6. Is Pierce looking for Soneji's partner?
7. Does Cross try to save Pierce from killing himself?
8. What happens to the Cross family the night of Cross' surprise party?
9. What is Soneji's state of mind as he hurries through Bellevue on his way to the fourth floor?
10. Does Sampson become angry with Pierce for leaving to go to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Cross and Sampson work together as partners? Do they seem to have a good relationship? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Pierce yells to Cross, "Let Smith kill Pierce!" How does Pierce try to let Smith kill him? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Christine's and Alex's relationship throughout the novel. How does this relationship flourish, even through the terrible crimes that Cross has to investigate? How does Christine provide Alex with support and comfort? What does Alex seem to give to Christine?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)