|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Cross get home after Pierce/Smith is killed?
2. What color hair does Sondra Greenberg have?
3. How does Soneji feel as he hurries through the tunnels beneath Bellevue Hospital?
4. What poet has written about the setting of Atlantic City?
5. How tall is Sampson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cross notice about Pierce's apartment?
2. Does Mr. Smith seem to know a lot about Abel Sante?
3. How does Mr. Smith interfere with Cross' time with his children in the grocery store?
4. What is Cross' reaction to his surprise party?
5. Is Abel Sante well-liked?
6. What does Christine like about Laura Dixon's first grade students?
7. What is Soneji's state of mind as he hurries through Bellevue on his way to the fourth floor?
8. Does Cross try to save Pierce from killing himself?
9. How does Cross try to live his life differently after the Mr. Smith case is closed?
10. Does Sampson become angry with Pierce for leaving to go to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of good versus evil in this novel. How does the author balance evil with scenes of "good" or happiness? Provide textual examples that reflect these themes.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kyle Craig lead Pierce to believe Cross is in grave condition after his attack? How does he plan to trap Pierce? In what way does he involve Cross?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Soneji's and Cross' final confrontation. Where does it take place, and how difficult is it for Cross to defend himself? How is Soneji killed in the end?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)