|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierce steal in Bay Head, New Jersey?
2. What is the relationship between Martin Straw and Isabella?
3. From where does Pierce fly to get to Washington?
4. How does Craig characterize Pierce in Chapter 104?
5. Where does Mr. Smith tell Pierce and Greenberg they can find Sante?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Soneji's state of mind as he hurries through Bellevue on his way to the fourth floor?
2. Why does Christine travel in an FBI sedan?
3. What does Pierce remember about the unusual detail in his Cambridge foyer on the night Isabella is murdered?
4. What does Pierce find in Conklin's cellar?
5. Is Cross expected to live after being attacked in his home?
6. Describe Sondra Greenberg.
7. What does Christine like about Laura Dixon's first grade students?
8. After Mr. Smith autopsies Sante, what does he do?
9. What does Pierce think about his discovery of evidence in the coal stove in Cross' cellar?
10. What is the first clue Pierce leaves after he has killed Isabella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pierce yells to Cross, "Let Smith kill Pierce!" How does Pierce try to let Smith kill him? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Cross solves the puzzle of Pierce's/Smith's next victim. Who does Cross think the "S" victim will be? Why? How does it turn out differently?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of good versus evil in this novel. How does the author balance evil with scenes of "good" or happiness? Provide textual examples that reflect these themes.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)