|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of jokes do Pierce and Greenberg share when they are searching for Mr. Smith?
2. What significance does the novel "Stranger in a Strange Land" have for Mr. Smith?
3. Soneji think Shareef is on what floor in Bellevue Hospital?
4. Where does Pierce remember seeing the phrase "Language is more than speech?"
5. Where is Pierce seen on the same day a victim disappears when he is supposed to be in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does Mr. Smith leave for Cross after he has killed Inez?
2. Describe Sondra Greenberg.
3. Describe Soneji's final moments.
4. What does Pierce remember about the unusual detail in his Cambridge foyer on the night Isabella is murdered?
5. What is Sampson's reaction to the attack on Cross family?
6. What does Cross notice about Pierce's apartment?
7. What does Pierce think about his discovery of evidence in the coal stove in Cross' cellar?
8. Is Cross expected to live after being attacked in his home?
9. In Part 5, does Pierce know that Cross is out of the hospital?
10. What is Soneji's state of mind as he hurries through Bellevue on his way to the fourth floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of trains to Soneji? Why did he steal his stepbrother's train set and bury it? How do the murders in the train stations make him feel as though he is taking back his power?
Essay Topic 2
Describe one setting of the novel. Discuss its importance to the plot and its affect on the characters. Provide specific setting details to support your idea.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot development of this novel. How does the author connect the two stories of Soneji and Mr. Smith?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)