|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierce find in Conklin's house that he identifies as Soneji's?
2. What poet has written about the setting of Atlantic City?
3. What does Pierce steal in Bay Head, New Jersey?
4. What is Pierce's occupation?
5. What kind of jokes do Pierce and Greenberg share when they are searching for Mr. Smith?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of good versus evil in this novel. How does the author balance evil with scenes of "good" or happiness? Provide textual examples that reflect these themes.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Cross solves the puzzle of Pierce's/Smith's next victim. Who does Cross think the "S" victim will be? Why? How does it turn out differently?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Simon Conklin attack the Cross family? What does Soneji tell him that makes him fear for his own life? How does he pay for his crime?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)