|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cross in his house the night after his surprise party?
2. What is Pierce's occupation?
3. What kind of work has Cross done for years at the hospital?
4. Where do Interpol and the French police gather to find Sante's body?
5. What household object does Pierce use to interrogate Conklin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sondra Greenberg.
2. What is Sampson's reaction to the attack on Cross family?
3. Describe Soneji's final moments.
4. In Part 5, does Pierce know that Cross is out of the hospital?
5. What does Pierce think about his discovery of evidence in the coal stove in Cross' cellar?
6. What does Sondra Greenberg think about Pierce?
7. What does Pierce find in Conklin's cellar?
8. Is Cross expected to live after being attacked in his home?
9. Is Abel Sante well-liked?
10. How does Mr. Smith interfere with Cross' time with his children in the grocery store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe one setting of the novel. Discuss its importance to the plot and its affect on the characters. Provide specific setting details to support your idea.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the cellar in Soneji's life. What does his nightmare with the cellar begin, and how does he feel when he is free from the cellar?
Essay Topic 3
What role(s) does Nana Mama play in Cross' life? Choose three textual examples that help identify her role(s) and her influence on Cross.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)