|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierce say to Sampson before he leaves Princeton to go to Paris?
2. Where is Cross' most serious wound?
3. What does Pierce request from Soneji's grandfather?
4. How does Craig characterize Pierce in Chapter 104?
5. What evidence from the Cross attack do police find near the cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Smith interfere with Cross' time with his children in the grocery store?
2. What is Cross' reaction to his surprise party?
3. Describe Soneji's final moments.
4. Is Pierce looking for Soneji's partner?
5. What does Pierce remember about the unusual detail in his Cambridge foyer on the night Isabella is murdered?
6. Is Cross expected to live after being attacked in his home?
7. Does Sampson become angry with Pierce for leaving to go to Paris?
8. Is Abel Sante well-liked?
9. What message does Mr. Smith leave for Cross after he has killed Inez?
10. How does Cross try to live his life differently after the Mr. Smith case is closed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the cellar in Soneji's life. What does his nightmare with the cellar begin, and how does he feel when he is free from the cellar?
Essay Topic 2
Describe one setting of the novel. Discuss its importance to the plot and its affect on the characters. Provide specific setting details to support your idea.
Essay Topic 3
Pierce believes he is smarter than Cross, as well as a better detective. Do you agree or disagree? Provide textual examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)