|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Sante identify about Mr. Smith?
2. Whom does Christine see waiting for her outside her office at the end of Chapter 88?
3. Where does Cross go in Chapter 112?
4. What does Sampson say is a metaphor for their case in Chapter 127?
5. What is Pierce holding when Cross enters Pierce's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Soneji's final moments.
2. What do Pierce and Sampson discover on Walter Murphy's farm?
3. What message does Mr. Smith leave for Cross after he has killed Inez?
4. Is Cross expected to live after being attacked in his home?
5. Describe Sondra Greenberg.
6. Is Pierce looking for Soneji's partner?
7. What does Pierce think about his discovery of evidence in the coal stove in Cross' cellar?
8. How does Cross try to live his life differently after the Mr. Smith case is closed?
9. Why does Christine travel in an FBI sedan?
10. What does Pierce find in Conklin's cellar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role(s) does Nana Mama play in Cross' life? Choose three textual examples that help identify her role(s) and her influence on Cross.
Essay Topic 2
Pierce yells to Cross, "Let Smith kill Pierce!" How does Pierce try to let Smith kill him? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot development of this novel. How does the author connect the two stories of Soneji and Mr. Smith?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)