|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the chief inspector in Chapter 2?
2. How does Jannie answer when Cross calls home from New York City in Chapter 44?
3. What color hair does Thomas Pierce have?
4. Mr. Smith is listening to what kind of music as he kills the police inspector?
5. How many shots are fired from Soneji's rifle each time it goes off in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soneji choose his first victims in Union Station?
2. Why does Soneji throw a cup of coffee at a businessman?
3. Describe Christine's view of Damon Cross.
4. Why is Gary Soneji's skin prickling in Chapter 1?
5. Why does the press call Mr. Smith an alien?
6. Describe Detective Manning Goldman's appearance.
7. Does Mr. Smith enjoy listening to music when he kills? If so, what kind of music?
8. What is Kyle Craig's opinion of Thomas Pierce?
9. How do Cross' children help heal him following the events at Union Station?
10. Describe Soneji's encounter with Jean Summerhill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the cellar in Soneji's life. What does his nightmare with the cellar begin, and how does he feel when he is free from the cellar?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Soneji's and Cross' final confrontation. Where does it take place, and how difficult is it for Cross to defend himself? How is Soneji killed in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot development of this novel. How does the author connect the two stories of Soneji and Mr. Smith?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)