|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the chief inspector in Chapter 2?
2. What name does the press call Mr. Smith?
3. What does Cross realize Soneji has done to the rifle that has been firing shots?
4. Cross says Soneji has told him in an interview that he did what as a young boy?
5. How many people has Mr. Smith killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Soneji choose his first victims in Union Station?
2. What is Soneji's state of mind when he arrives at Penn Station?
3. What number is important to Soneji in Union Station?
4. What is Detective Gorza's view of his partner, Detective Goldman?
5. How well is Sojourner Truth School maintained?
6. Describe Pierce's appearance.
7. Soneji thinks about what when he is in Alex Cross' basement?
8. Soneji is confused about what when he wakes up in Detective Goldman's cellar?
9. How does Soneji hide on the Metroliner to Penn Station?
10. Describe Detective Manning Goldman's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex Cross says that his children, Jannie and Damon, "heal him." Choose one or two textual examples to show how the children act in a nurturing way to Cross. How does he respond to their actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of good versus evil in this novel. How does the author balance evil with scenes of "good" or happiness? Provide textual examples that reflect these themes.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of trains to Soneji? Why did he steal his stepbrother's train set and bury it? How do the murders in the train stations make him feel as though he is taking back his power?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)