|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soneji speaks to whom on the train leaving for Penn Station?
2. When Soneji is eleven, what does he steal from a neighboring farm?
3. What is the name of the school that the Cross children attend?
4. What color hair does Thomas Pierce have?
5. What has Nana taught Cross to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Mr. Smith enjoy listening to music when he kills? If so, what kind of music?
2. Why does Soneji throw a cup of coffee at a businessman?
3. What number is important to Soneji in Union Station?
4. How do Cross' children help heal him following the events at Union Station?
5. How does Soneji commit the murders in Penn Station?
6. Why does the press call Mr. Smith an alien?
7. Describe Pierce's appearance.
8. How does Soneji's rage play a role in his murder of Detective Goldman?
9. What is Detective Gorza's view of his partner, Detective Goldman?
10. Describe the relationship between Cross and Christine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mr. Smith. What rituals does he follow while he kills his victims? How do his murders reveal his medical training?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Cross solves the puzzle of Pierce's/Smith's next victim. Who does Cross think the "S" victim will be? Why? How does it turn out differently?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Christine's and Alex's relationship throughout the novel. How does this relationship flourish, even through the terrible crimes that Cross has to investigate? How does Christine provide Alex with support and comfort? What does Alex seem to give to Christine?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)