|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pierce remember seeing the phrase "Language is more than speech?"
(a) On a matchbox.
(b) On a poster in his and Isabella's foyer.
(c) In a newspaper.
(d) In a magazine.
2. What newspaper does Mr. Smith spread over the linoleum in the farmhouse kitchen?
(a) London Times.
(b) French Gazette.
(c) Provence Weekly News.
(d) Le Monde.
3. What household object does Pierce use to interrogate Conklin?
(a) A milk bottle.
(b) A coke can.
(c) A toothbrush.
(d) A toy gun.
4. What color hair does Sondra Greenberg have?
5. What does Pierce steal in Bay Head, New Jersey?
(b) A newspaper.
(d) A BMW convertible.
6. Where does Cross go in Chapter 112?
(b) New Jersey.
(c) Long Island.
(d) New Hampshire.
7. What does Cross ask Christine to do at the end of the novel?
(a) Go see a movie.
(b) Help him redecorate.
(c) Spend some time with Nana.
(d) Marry him.
8. What does Cross tell Groza that that Soneji wants most after Soneji has escaped from the hospital room?
(a) A train set.
(b) Attention and fame.
(c) A friend.
9. What does Pierce say to Sampson before he leaves Princeton to go to Paris?
(a) You do not need me here.
(b) The Cross case is not important.
(c) Get out of my way.
(d) Trust me a little.
10. Pierce impales Isabella's heart on what item?
(a) A spear from scuba equipment.
(b) A knife.
(c) A stick.
(d) A barbecue skewer.
11. Why does Kyle Craig have to go to the hospital at the end of Chapter 75?
(a) Cross has died.
(b) Cross wants to talk to him.
(c) Cross has written a message for Kyle.
(d) Cross has gone into cardiac arrest.
12. What does Pierce request from Soneji's grandfather?
(a) To drive his truck.
(b) To take his picture.
(c) To quote him in his report.
(d) Two shovels or picks.
13. How tall is Sampson?
(a) At least six feet six inches.
(b) Six feet.
(c) Five feet ten inches.
(d) Five feet four inches.
14. What is Cross' condition when Pierce calls the hospital in Chapter 82?
(a) He has gone into a coma.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has amnesia.
(d) He is awake and talking.
15. From where does Pierce fly to get to Washington?
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Mr. Smith hidden Sante?
2. What poet has written about the setting of Atlantic City?
3. What does Christine say she wants very much in Chapter 97?
4. What occupation does Pierce's father have?
5. What does Pierce do when he wants Conklin to go down to the cellar?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)