|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The djinn explains that he is _______.
2. Abdullah tells the soldier that he is not fond of which of the following?
3. What is the surname of the Royal Wizard?
4. Which is not one of the items stolen?
5. Abdullah wishes for ____ to live a life of ease.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Abdullah calls for the return of the carpet?
2. What happens when the constables arrive at the inn searching for Abdullah and the soldier?
3. How does Abdullah intervene when the soldier insists on preparing a bath for the cats?
4. What causes Abdullah to waste a wish?
5. What happens when the men stop to find a campsite?
6. What does Abdullah learn about the old soldier?
7. Why are the soldier and the genie not pleased with the new travel arrangements?
8. What happens after Abdullah leaves the Red Lion?
9. Discuss Abdullah's decision to travel with the old soldier. How does the old soldier help Abdullah?
10. What happens after Aqba falls to the ground? What is revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Abdullah's relationship with his father's family. Why does Abdullah associate with them? Are they related in any way? What power does the family have over Abdullah? Why are they so mean? What does the family hope to gain by Abdullah's success? What is Abdullah's opinion of the family? Does his opinion change throughout the story? Do you think Abdullah will associate with the family after he marries Flower? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
When Abdullah meets Flower, he learns that she is betrothed to the Prince of Ochistan. Discuss arranged marriages. Why are marriages between royals arranged? Are arranged marriages political in nature? Are the marriages arranged to ensure continued bloodlines? How is a dowry involved? What is the importance of an arranged marriage? How does it affect the betrothed? Why are children promised to others when they are born? Do arranged marriages still occur? What happens if the marriage is broken? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Hasruel's plans for leaving. Why would the good djinns shun him? Why will Hasruel and Dalzel part company? Where will each go? What do you think will happen to Hasruel?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)