|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been stolen from the innkeepers?
2. What does the soldier make for dinner?
3. The Wizard's house is located in the ___ Quarter.
4. Which item does the soldier stow behind the tree?
5. Which is not one of the items stolen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the soldier and the genie not pleased with the new travel arrangements?
2. What happens after Abdullah leaves the Red Lion?
3. Discuss Abdullah's decision to travel with the old soldier. How does the old soldier help Abdullah?
4. Hasruel explains that he has appeared in many forms before Abdullah. Give some examples.
5. What happens when Abdullah calls for the return of the carpet?
6. What does Abdullah learn about the old soldier?
7. Discuss the camaraderie between the men in the evening.
8. What was Hasruel's plan? Why did has it failed?
9. Explain how Abdullah challenges Fate.
10. What happens when Abdullah reaches the house of the Royal Wizard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses foreshadowing in several parts of the story. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing. Explain each.
Essay Topic 2
What happens after the plan to trick the djinns is put into motion? Is the plan successful? Who supplies inside information? What might have happened if the information was incorrect? How does Abdullah use the information to save Hasruel? Is Hasruel appreciative? How does Dalzel react?
Essay Topic 3
When Abdullah meets Flower, he learns that she is betrothed to the Prince of Ochistan. Discuss arranged marriages. Why are marriages between royals arranged? Are arranged marriages political in nature? Are the marriages arranged to ensure continued bloodlines? How is a dowry involved? What is the importance of an arranged marriage? How does it affect the betrothed? Why are children promised to others when they are born? Do arranged marriages still occur? What happens if the marriage is broken? Explain.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)