|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abdullah complains that he is tired of _____.
2. Abdullah tells the landlord that the cats are a gift for a ____.
3. Other than changing clothes, what is the biggest change the soldier makes to his appearance?
4. The soldier hopes to collect money in exchange for ____.
5. Abdullah notes that every house in Ingary looks like a ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Abdullah challenges Fate.
2. What does Abdullah learn about the old soldier?
3. How does the soldier attempt to empathize with Abdullah?
4. What have the princes done to save the princesses? Why is Abdullah not a good choice to save the princesses?
5. What happens when the men stop to find a campsite?
6. Why are the soldier and the genie not pleased with the new travel arrangements?
7. What happens when Abdullah calls for the return of the carpet?
8. What happens after Abdullah leaves the Red Lion?
9. What is the old soldier's repeated complaint?
10. What is the soldier's theory regarding the genie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses foreshadowing in several parts of the story. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing. Explain each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the djinns are tricked. Who devises the plan? What could have gone wrong? How do the djinns know they have been tricked? What is their reaction? How might you react? How can the princesses, Abdullah and the others be sure that the djinns will keep their promises?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the princesses intimidate the djinns. Who is the most intimidating? Which princess causes the most trouble? How do the djinns react? What is Flower's part in the plan to intimidate the djinns? What are the djinns willing to do to keep the princesses in line? Does the plan work? Explain.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)