|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abdullah compares the robbers to which precious stone?
2. The genie claims that he is ____.
3. What is the first word Abdullah uses to coax the magic carpet?
4. Abdullah refers to the genie as a ____ magnificence.
5. Abdullah mentions many flowers, except ___________, when talking to the genie.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Sultan's view on women.
2. What is Abdullah's plan to escape?
3. Explain the scene in which Abdullah meets the Sultan.
4. Explain the scene in which Abdullah goes to the Emporium to visit his father's family.
5. Abdullah has a vivid imagination and has created an elaborate fantasy about his family. What is the fantasy?
6. What happens the following day at the Bazaar?
7. Explain Abdullah's first journey on the carpet.
8. Explain Abdullah's next trip to the garden aboard the magic carpet.
9. What Is Abdullah's reaction? What occurs next?
10. Discuss Abdullah's first meeting with the princess.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Hasruel and Dalzel. Compare and contrast the brothers, their goals, and actions.
Essay Topic 2
When Abdullah meets Flower, he learns that she is betrothed to the Prince of Ochistan. Discuss arranged marriages. Why are marriages between royals arranged? Are arranged marriages political in nature? Are the marriages arranged to ensure continued bloodlines? How is a dowry involved? What is the importance of an arranged marriage? How does it affect the betrothed? Why are children promised to others when they are born? Do arranged marriages still occur? What happens if the marriage is broken? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the princesses intimidate the djinns. Who is the most intimidating? Which princess causes the most trouble? How do the djinns react? What is Flower's part in the plan to intimidate the djinns? What are the djinns willing to do to keep the princesses in line? Does the plan work? Explain.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)