|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sultan refers to Abdullah as the son of a(n) ____ excrement.
2. Abdullah believes that the man might be a ____.
3. A stranger approaches Abdullah with the hopes of selling a ______.
4. What is the name of the Princess?
5. Which of the following is not a plant/flower in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene in which Abdullah meets Kabul Aqba.
2. Explain what happens when Abdullah returns to the Bazaar.
3. How does Abdullah operate his business?
4. What is Abdullah's explanation about what happened in the garden?
5. Explain the Sultan's view on women.
6. What is Abdullah's plan to escape?
7. Explain the scene in which Abdullah meets the Sultan.
8. What are Abdullah's actions following the purchase of the carpet?
9. Abdullah has a vivid imagination and has created an elaborate fantasy about his family. What is the fantasy?
10. Abdullah manages to escape with the aid of the magic carpet. What event occurs the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Sophie and Morgan. How does the old soldier recognize that the cats are enchanted? What is Sophie's special gift? Why is the spell placed on the woman and child? How is the spell broken? What might you do in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Abdullah's relationship with his father's family. Why does Abdullah associate with them? Are they related in any way? What power does the family have over Abdullah? Why are they so mean? What does the family hope to gain by Abdullah's success? What is Abdullah's opinion of the family? Does his opinion change throughout the story? Do you think Abdullah will associate with the family after he marries Flower? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the djinns are tricked. Who devises the plan? What could have gone wrong? How do the djinns know they have been tricked? What is their reaction? How might you react? How can the princesses, Abdullah and the others be sure that the djinns will keep their promises?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)