|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abdullah often dreamed of creating a perfect ___.
2. How many husbands is a woman allowed to have?
3. How many wishes per day will the genie grant?
4. What wish is the genie unable to grant?
5. Abdullah believes that the man might be a ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the djinn? What is the djinn's story?
2. Abdullah has a vivid imagination and has created an elaborate fantasy about his family. What is the fantasy?
3. Explain Abdullah's next trip to the garden aboard the magic carpet.
4. What is Abdullah's opinion about taking the cats on their travels?
5. What happens when Sophie sees the old soldier?
6. Describe why Calcifer and Howl are so angry.
7. Discuss Abdullah's decision to travel with the old soldier. How does the old soldier help Abdullah?
8. What is the misunderstanding between Flower and Abdullah?
9. Beatrice begins to sing Flower's praises. What does Beatrice say about Flower?
10. What were some of the other enchantments that were broken?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses foreshadowing in several parts of the story. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing. Explain each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the djinns are tricked. Who devises the plan? What could have gone wrong? How do the djinns know they have been tricked? What is their reaction? How might you react? How can the princesses, Abdullah and the others be sure that the djinns will keep their promises?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, in as much detail as possible, Abdullah's fantasy regarding his childhood. How does Abdullah's fantasy play out?
This section contains 1,684 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)