|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jamal claims that he is a believer in _____.
2. Abdullah tells Jamal to escape by running in which direction?
3. What kind of weapon does the bandit hold?
4. How many wishes per day will the genie grant?
5. What is the name of Abdullah's detested cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which Abdullah is approached at the Bazaar by a stranger.
2. Explain the Sultan's view on women.
3. What is Abdullah's plan to escape?
4. Explain the scene in which Abdullah goes to the Emporium to visit his father's family.
5. Abdullah manages to escape with the aid of the magic carpet. What event occurs the next morning?
6. Abdullah has a vivid imagination and has created an elaborate fantasy about his family. What is the fantasy?
7. What are Abdullah's actions following the purchase of the carpet?
8. What is Abdullah's relationship with his father's family?
9. Examine the scene in which Flower is kidnapped.
10. Explain Abdullah's first journey on the carpet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Abdullah's relationship with his father's family. Why does Abdullah associate with them? Are they related in any way? What power does the family have over Abdullah? Why are they so mean? What does the family hope to gain by Abdullah's success? What is Abdullah's opinion of the family? Does his opinion change throughout the story? Do you think Abdullah will associate with the family after he marries Flower? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Zanzib to the southern lands, including Ingary, Strangia and Kingsbury. What are the major differences? Examine how each culture dresses and behaves in public. Also, discuss the differences in trade. What is Abdullah's reaction to the changes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Hasruel and Dalzel. Compare and contrast the brothers, their goals, and actions.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)