|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the inn?
2. The sultan refers to Abdullah as the son of a(n) ____ excrement.
3. The genie claims that he likes the old man because he shines with _____.
4. How many pictures does Abdullah buy?
5. Which item does Abdullah promise to provide to the Princess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which Abdullah goes to the Emporium to visit his father's family.
2. Discuss the camaraderie between the men in the evening.
3. Why does Abdullah choose to go to the desert? What happens when Abdullah lands in the desert?
4. What was Hasruel's plan? Why did has it failed?
5. Examine Abdullah's thoughts once he is thrown into prison.
6. Why are the soldier and the genie not pleased with the new travel arrangements?
7. What is Abdullah's explanation about what happened in the garden?
8. What happens after Abdullah leaves the Red Lion?
9. Explain the scene in which Abdullah is approached at the Bazaar by a stranger.
10. What is the old soldier's repeated complaint?
Essay Topic 1
When Abdullah meets Flower, he learns that she is betrothed to the Prince of Ochistan. Discuss arranged marriages. Why are marriages between royals arranged? Are arranged marriages political in nature? Are the marriages arranged to ensure continued bloodlines? How is a dowry involved? What is the importance of an arranged marriage? How does it affect the betrothed? Why are children promised to others when they are born? Do arranged marriages still occur? What happens if the marriage is broken? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe, in as much detail as possible, Abdullah's fantasy regarding his childhood. How does Abdullah's fantasy play out?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Hasruel's habit of creating havoc. Why does Hasruel make it a point to torture those who possess the bottle? How does it help Hasruel's situation? Give examples of how Hasruel complicated Abdullah's wishes. How might Abdullah and the old solider avoid catastrophes? What would you do in a similar situation?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)