|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abdullah often dreams of being kidnapped by a ____.
2. What is the last word Abdullah uses to coax a magic carpet before giving up?
3. Who wakes Abdullah the next morning?
4. What does Abdullah use to fasten items to his belt?
5. How much money does the stranger who approaches Abdullah want for an item?
Short Essay Questions
1. Abdullah manages to escape with the aid of the magic carpet. What event occurs the next morning?
2. Explain what happens when Abdullah returns to the Bazaar.
3. What is Abdullah's relationship with his father's family?
4. What happens the following day at the Bazaar?
5. Why does Abdullah choose to go to the desert? What happens when Abdullah lands in the desert?
6. How does Abdullah operate his business?
7. Abdullah has a vivid imagination and has created an elaborate fantasy about his family. What is the fantasy?
8. Examine Abdullah's thoughts once he is thrown into prison.
9. What are Abdullah's actions following the purchase of the carpet?
10. There is a misunderstanding between Abdullah and Flower. What is the nature of the conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses foreshadowing in several parts of the story. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing. Explain each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the initial meeting between Abdullah and Kabul Aqba. When and where did it occur? What happens? What dilemma does Aqba face? What decision does Aqba have to make in regards to the genie? How does Abdullah help? How does the meeting change Abdullah's feelings about his fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Hasruel's plans for leaving. Why would the good djinns shun him? Why will Hasruel and Dalzel part company? Where will each go? What do you think will happen to Hasruel?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)