|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wakes Abdullah the next morning?
2. What is the name of the proprietor of the squid booth?
3. Jamal claims that he is a believer in _____.
4. Which metal supposedly blocks magic powers?
5. What is the last word Abdullah uses to coax a magic carpet before giving up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens when Abdullah returns to the Bazaar.
2. Why does Abdullah choose to go to the desert? What happens when Abdullah lands in the desert?
3. There is a misunderstanding between Abdullah and Flower. What is the nature of the conflict?
4. What is Abdullah's plan to escape?
5. What Is Abdullah's reaction? What occurs next?
6. What happens after the carpet arrives?
7. Explain the scene in which Abdullah goes to the Emporium to visit his father's family.
8. Explain the Sultan's view on women.
9. Who is Abdullah? What is his job?
10. Abdullah has a vivid imagination and has created an elaborate fantasy about his family. What is the fantasy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dalzel has an unusual background compared to Hasruel and the other djinns. Explain in detail Dalzel's background and unusual position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Abdullah's relationship with his father's family. Why does Abdullah associate with them? Are they related in any way? What power does the family have over Abdullah? Why are they so mean? What does the family hope to gain by Abdullah's success? What is Abdullah's opinion of the family? Does his opinion change throughout the story? Do you think Abdullah will associate with the family after he marries Flower? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happens to Sophie and Morgan. How does the old soldier recognize that the cats are enchanted? What is Sophie's special gift? Why is the spell placed on the woman and child? How is the spell broken? What might you do in a similar situation?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)