|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," what covers the human figure that appears to Mr. Denton?
2. What does Mr. Paxton discover, in "A Warning to the Curious"?
3. What happens to Mr. Paxton, at the end of "A Warning to the Curious"?
4. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
5. Who is Mr. Worby,in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the supernatural play in James' stories? Choose two examples and explain how it contrasts with the theme of religion. Choose two characters and discuss their relationship with the supernatural as well.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)