|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the dean discover, in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
2. What is the name of the strange forest, in "A Neighbour's Landmark"?
3. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
4. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," what does Mr. Burton put his cane through?
5. Who did Mr. Humphrey receive his inheritance from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
2. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
3. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
4. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
5. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
6. What does Mr. Harrington return to Mr. Karswell, and what happens to Mr. Karswell, at the end of "Casting the Runes"?
7. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
8. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
9. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
10. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
Essay Topic 2
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dennistoun. Why does James choose to use this character in another story? What is the benefit of this? What is the significance of Dennistoun not believing in the supernatural?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)