|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Haynes do for a living?
2. Who went to the chapel, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," to take photographs?
3. Where does Squire Francis Bowles request to be buried, in "The Experiment"?
4. Who is Mr. Worby,in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
5. Why was John Harrington murdered, in "Casting the Runes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
2. What happens when Mr. Davidson returns to the church on St. Mark's day?
3. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
4. What is the legend of the three crowns?
5. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
6. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
7. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
8. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
9. Who is Mr. Poschwitz, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
10. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)