|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the dean discover, in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
2. On what holiday does Mr. Davidson plan to return to the chapel?
3. What is actually in the strange room Mr. Thomson goes into?
4. What does Lady Ivy want?
5. What does the narrator claim happened to him, at the end of "A Vignette"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
2. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
3. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
4. What is odd about the wood carvings in John Haynes room, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
5. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
6. What does Mr. Harrington return to Mr. Karswell, and what happens to Mr. Karswell, at the end of "Casting the Runes"?
7. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
8. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
9. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
10. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term climax and decide where the point of climax is within a story of your choice. Explain how the event fits the definition of climax and site examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how superstition plays a role in the story "Number 13." Choose one other story and discuss how superstition plays a role in that story.
Essay Topic 3
When considering James's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? How did James change the genre of horror and suspense writing?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)