|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Davidson plan to do while his family is out of town, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
2. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
3. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," what covers the human figure that appears to Mr. Denton?
4. Who is Mr. Cooper, in the story "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
5. Where does Mr. Humphrey find a pedestal with a globe on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
2. What happens when Mr. Davidson returns to the church on St. Mark's day?
3. What passage does Mr. Humphreys find that describes the maze?
4. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
5. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
6. What does the old man Mr. Davidson meets tell him about, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
7. What is the legend of the three crowns?
8. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
9. Who is Lady Ivy and what does she want?
10. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
How does James address the theme of revenge in his book? Choose two examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of revenge.
Essay Topic 3
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)