|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Paxton discover, in "A Warning to the Curious"?
2. How many prayer books does Mrs. Porter discuss with Mr. Davidson?
3. In "A Warning to the Curious," what is the purpose of the three crowns?
4. Where do Mr. Humphrey, Mr. Cooper, and Mr. Cooper's wife almost get lost?
5. What happens, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," when Mr. Davidson returns to the chapel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is odd about the wood carvings in John Haynes room, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
2. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
3. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
4. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
5. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
6. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
7. What passage does Mr. Humphreys find that describes the maze?
8. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
9. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
10. Who is Lady Ivy and what does she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how superstition plays a role in the story "Number 13." Choose one other story and discuss how superstition plays a role in that story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dennistoun. Why does James choose to use this character in another story? What is the benefit of this? What is the significance of Dennistoun not believing in the supernatural?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)