|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
2. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
3. What color is the stone Mr. Thomson finds in the road?
4. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
5. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
2. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
3. What is odd about the wood carvings in John Haynes room, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
4. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
5. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
6. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
7. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
8. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
9. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
10. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dennistoun. Why does James choose to use this character in another story? What is the benefit of this? What is the significance of Dennistoun not believing in the supernatural?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)