|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Cooper try to find a key to?
2. Where did John Haynes work?
3. Who did Mr. Humphrey receive his inheritance from?
4. What is Mrs. Porter's job at the chapel?
5. What is uncommon about the prayer books, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
2. What is odd about the wood carvings in John Haynes room, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
3. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
4. What passage does Mr. Humphreys find that describes the maze?
5. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
6. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
7. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
8. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
9. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
10. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
Essay Topic 3
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)