|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks through the hole in the fence?
2. What does Mr. Davidson plan to do while his family is out of town, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
3. Why was John Harrington murdered, in "Casting the Runes"?
4. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
5. Who did Mr. Humphrey receive his inheritance from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
2. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
3. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
4. What does Mr. Harrington return to Mr. Karswell, and what happens to Mr. Karswell, at the end of "Casting the Runes"?
5. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
6. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
7. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
8. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
9. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
10. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one story and analyze the message James is trying to convey in that story. What lesson do the characters learn in this story?
Essay Topic 3
What roles do villains play in James' stories. Choose two stories from James' collection and discuss how the villain interacts with the other characters. Is the villain always the ghost?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)