|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
2. What happens to Mr. Paxton, at the end of "A Warning to the Curious"?
3. Who does Mr. Davidson meet on his walk home, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
4. Who went to the chapel, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," to take photographs?
5. During what season does John Haynes begin to hear strange whispering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
2. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
3. What is the legend of the three crowns?
4. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
5. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
6. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
7. What passage does Mr. Humphreys find that describes the maze?
8. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
9. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
10. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between Mr. Wraxall and Mary Simpson. How do these characters help each other? Why does Mr. Wraxall want to help Mary Simpson? Is love a theme of this story?
Essay Topic 2
How does James address the theme of religion in his book? Choose two examples of examples of how religion presents itself and explain how these examples contribute to the theme religion.
Essay Topic 3
How does James address the theme of revenge in his book? Choose two examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of revenge.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)