|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was John Haynes predecessor killed?
2. In "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance," what does Mr. Humphrey learn is hidden in the globe?
3. In "Casting the Runes," what does Mr. Karswell show the children?
4. What did the dean discover, in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
5. Who followed John Harrington prior to his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
2. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
3. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
4. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
5. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
6. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
7. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
8. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
9. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
10. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering James's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? How did James change the genre of horror and suspense writing?
Essay Topic 2
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in this one story. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Then define the term antagonist and identify the antagonists in the same story. Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)