|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," what covers the human figure that appears to Mr. Denton?
2. What happened to the first crown, in "A Warning to the Curious"?
3. Who is Mr. Cooper, in the story "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
4. In "Casting the Runes," what does Mr. Karswell show the children?
5. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
2. What happens when Mr. Davidson returns to the church on St. Mark's day?
3. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
4. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
5. What does the old man Mr. Davidson meets tell him about, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
6. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
7. What is the legend of the three crowns?
8. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
9. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
10. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)