|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the inn that Mr. Thomson stays, in the story "Rats"?
2. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
3. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
4. What strange events occur in the forest, in "A Neighbour's Landmark"?
5. Who is Mr. Worby,in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lady Ivy and what does she want?
2. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
3. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
4. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
5. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
6. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
7. What does Mr. Harrington return to Mr. Karswell, and what happens to Mr. Karswell, at the end of "Casting the Runes"?
8. What is the legend of the three crowns?
9. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
10. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)