|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator claim happened to him, at the end of "A Vignette"?
2. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
3. Who is Mr. Cooper, in the story "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
4. Where does Mr. Humphrey find a pedestal with a globe on it?
5. Whose paper did the society deny, in "Casting the Runes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
2. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
3. What is the legend of the three crowns?
4. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
5. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
6. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
7. What happens when Mr. Davidson returns to the church on St. Mark's day?
8. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
9. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
10. What passage does Mr. Humphreys find that describes the maze?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one story and analyze the message James is trying to convey in that story. What lesson do the characters learn in this story?
Essay Topic 2
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)