|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is John Haynes found dead?
2. How was John Haynes predecessor killed?
3. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
4. Who went to the chapel, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," to take photographs?
5. What does Miss Denton decide to make curtains from, in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Thomson find in the strange room, in the story "Rats"?
2. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
3. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
4. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
5. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
6. Who is Lady Ivy and what does she want?
7. What happens when Mr. Davidson returns to the church on St. Mark's day?
8. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
9. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
10. What does Mr. Harrington return to Mr. Karswell, and what happens to Mr. Karswell, at the end of "Casting the Runes"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What roles do villains play in James' stories. Choose two stories from James' collection and discuss how the villain interacts with the other characters. Is the villain always the ghost?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)