|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," when Mr. Davidson returns to the chapel?
2. Who is Lady Ivy?
3. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
4. In "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance," what does Mr. Humphrey learn is hidden in the globe?
5. What does Mr. Denton initially think about Mr. Poynter's diaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the legend of the three crowns?
2. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
3. What is odd about the wood carvings in John Haynes room, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
4. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
5. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
6. What does the old man Mr. Davidson meets tell him about, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
7. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
8. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
9. What does Mr. Thomson find in the strange room, in the story "Rats"?
10. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dennistoun. Why does James choose to use this character in another story? What is the benefit of this? What is the significance of Dennistoun not believing in the supernatural?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term climax and decide where the point of climax is within a story of your choice. Explain how the event fits the definition of climax and site examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)