|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who followed John Harrington prior to his death?
2. In "Casting the Runes," what does Mr. Karswell show the children?
3. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," where does the person Mr. Davidson meets on his walk say his daughter works?
4. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
5. What happens, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," when Mr. Davidson returns to the chapel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
2. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
3. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
4. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
5. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
6. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
7. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
8. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
9. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
10. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in this one story. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Then define the term antagonist and identify the antagonists in the same story. Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does James address the theme of revenge in his book? Choose two examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of revenge.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the supernatural play in James' stories? Choose two examples and explain how it contrasts with the theme of religion. Choose two characters and discuss their relationship with the supernatural as well.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)