|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
2. Whose paper did the society deny, in "Casting the Runes"?
3. What is uncommon about the prayer books, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
4. What makes the narrator nervous, in "A Vignette"?
5. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Dennistoun. Why does James choose to use this character in another story? What is the benefit of this? What is the significance of Dennistoun not believing in the supernatural?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)