|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Paxton discover, in "A Warning to the Curious"?
2. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did the last dean do, according to Mr. Worby?
3. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
4. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter", what is the man found dead without?
5. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
2. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
3. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
4. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
5. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
6. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
7. Who is Mr. Poschwitz, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
8. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
9. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
10. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
Essay Topic 3
What roles do villains play in James' stories. Choose two stories from James' collection and discuss how the villain interacts with the other characters. Is the villain always the ghost?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)