|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What society does the secretary belong to, at the start of "Casting the Runes"?
2. Why is Dunning left home alone at night?
3. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
4. In "A Warning to the Curious," what is the purpose of the three crowns?
5. Where are the two men vacationing in "A Warning to the Curious"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the supernatural play in James' stories? Choose two examples and explain how it contrasts with the theme of religion. Choose two characters and discuss their relationship with the supernatural as well.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)