|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Williams work?
2. Who does Mr. Williams invite to look at the painting?
3. Why does Mr. Anderson invite the landlord to his room?
4. What does the Englishman do with the photo at the end of "Canon Alberic's Scrapbook"?
5. What did Mary Simpson's uncle used to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
2. What happens when Dennistoun brings Canon Alberic's Scrapbook into his room at night? How does he get rid of it?
3. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
4. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
5. What is the Tractate Middoth?
6. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
7. Whom does Mr. Garrett meet at the lodging house that helps him solve the mystery of the Tractate Middoth? How does this person help?
8. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
9. How does Dennistoun arrive at S. Bertrand, and why does he want to go to the church?
10. What does Parkins think about the metal object he finds, in ""Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? What does the object look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interaction between Mr. Wraxall and Mary Simpson. How do these characters help each other? Why does Mr. Wraxall want to help Mary Simpson? Is love a theme of this story?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)