|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Canon Alberic's Scrapbook," what king's photo is in the scrapbook?
2. What does Parkins realize is wrong with the figure that appears in his room?
3. Who is buried at the location of the rose garden?
4. What mysterious being does Mr. Williams see in the painting?
5. What does Mr. Williams' servant see when he looks at the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
2. What does Dennistoun learn about the house in the painting, in "The Mezzotint"?
3. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
4. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
5. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
6. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
7. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
8. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
9. What does Parkins dream about the night he finds the metal object? What does the maid tell him the next day?
10. What does Parkins think about the metal object he finds, in ""Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? What does the object look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the plot and subplot, in "An Episode of Cathedral History." Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does James effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 2
How does James address the theme of revenge in his book? Choose two examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of revenge.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)