|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Garrett claim the eyes of the man in the library are covered with, in "The Tractate Middoth"?
2. Who has memories about where the rose garden is to be planted?
3. Where does Dennistoun return to at the start of "The Mezzotint"?
4. What did Mary Simpson's uncle used to wear?
5. What does the lawyer's singing in room 14 sound like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
2. What do Mrs. Anstruther and Frank see in the rose garden that scares them?
3. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
4. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
5. What does Parkins think about the metal object he finds, in ""Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? What does the object look like?
6. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
7. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
8. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
9. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
10. How does Dennistoun arrive at S. Bertrand, and why does he want to go to the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does James address the theme of revenge in his book? Choose two examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of revenge.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)