|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas," why does Mr. Somerton's servant write a letter?
2. What language does school master Sampson try to teach the boys in "A School Story"?
3. Whose scrapbook does the caretaker, in "Canon Alberic's Scrapbook," show the Englishman?
4. Where does Mr. Garrett meet Mary Simpson?
5. What sport does Parkins play with his friend, in the story "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
2. Why does Mr. Somerton's servant summon Mr. Gregory, in "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas"? What does Mr. Gregory do for Mr. Somerton ?
3. Why is Mr. Anderson in Jutland Viborg, in "Number 13"?
4. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
5. What do Mrs. Anstruther and Frank see in the rose garden that scares them?
6. Describe Mr. Wraxall from the story, Count Magnus.
7. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
8. What does Mr. Wraxall learn about Count Magnus?
9. Describe how the painting changes, in "The Mezzotint"?
10. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
Essay Topic 2
How does James address the theme of religion in his book? Choose two examples of examples of how religion presents itself and explain how these examples contribute to the theme religion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)