|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the manuscripts in "Count Magnus" about?
2. What did Mary Simpson's uncle used to wear?
3. Where does Mr. Garrett realize the will is hidden?
4. Who did Mr. Garrett see looking for the Tractate Middoth earlier?
5. How many beds are in the room Perkins sleeps in, during the story "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parkins think about the metal object he finds, in ""Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? What does the object look like?
2. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
3. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
4. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
5. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
6. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
7. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
8. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
9. Describe Parkins, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad."
10. What do Mrs. Anstruther and Frank see in the rose garden that scares them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term climax and decide where the point of climax is within a story of your choice. Explain how the event fits the definition of climax and site examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how superstition plays a role in the story "Number 13." Choose one other story and discuss how superstition plays a role in that story.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)