|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person is Magnus De la Gardie?
2. What pilgrimage did Magnus De la Gardie go on?
3. What is the name of the man that comes looking for the the Tractate Middoth?
4. In "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas," why does Mr. Somerton's servant write a letter?
5. What does Mr. Williams' servant see when he looks at the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
2. Describe how the painting changes, in "The Mezzotint"?
3. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
4. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
5. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
6. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
7. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
8. What does Parkins think about the metal object he finds, in ""Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? What does the object look like?
9. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
10. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 2
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
Essay Topic 3
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)