Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbot Thomas's treasure consist of?
2. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
3. What happens when John Eldred locates the will?
4. What mysterious being does Mr. Williams see in the painting?
5. What is Mr. Somerton's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
2. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
3. Describe the caretaker of S. Bertrand Church.
4. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
5. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
6. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
7. What does Mr. Thomson find in the strange room, in the story "Rats"?
8. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
9. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
10. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
Essay Topic 1
What roles do villains play in James' stories. Choose two stories from James' collection and discuss how the villain interacts with the other characters. Is the villain always the ghost?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the plot and subplot, in "An Episode of Cathedral History." Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does James effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)