|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does the Englishman notice concerning the caretaker while at S. Bertrand Church?
2. What do the boys see the night before school master Sampson disappears?
3. What are the manuscripts in "Count Magnus" about?
4. In "Number 13," what is strange about all the hotels in Denmark?
5. Where does Mr. Williams lock the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
2. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
3. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
4. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
5. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
6. Describe Mr. Wraxall from the story, Count Magnus.
7. Describe Parkins, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad."
8. What happens when Dennistoun brings Canon Alberic's Scrapbook into his room at night? How does he get rid of it?
9. What is the Tractate Middoth?
10. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between Mr. Wraxall and Mary Simpson. How do these characters help each other? Why does Mr. Wraxall want to help Mary Simpson? Is love a theme of this story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does James address the theme of religion in his book? Choose two examples of examples of how religion presents itself and explain how these examples contribute to the theme religion.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)