Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbot Thomas's treasure consist of?
2. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
3. What happens when John Eldred locates the will?
4. What mysterious being does Mr. Williams see in the painting?
5. What is Mr. Somerton's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
2. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
3. Describe the caretaker of S. Bertrand Church.
4. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
5. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
6. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
7. What does Mr. Thomson find in the strange room, in the story "Rats"?
8. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
9. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
10. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how superstition plays a role in the story "Number 13." Choose one other story and discuss how superstition plays a role in that story.
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interaction between Mr. Wraxall and Mary Simpson. How do these characters help each other? Why does Mr. Wraxall want to help Mary Simpson? Is love a theme of this story?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)