|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Somerton ask his friend to do when he arrives at the church?
2. Where do Mr. and Mrs. Anstruther live, in "The Rose Garden"?
3. What does Parkins realize is wrong with the figure that appears in his room?
4. What does Mr. Somerton forget to replace when he leaves the Abbot's treasure?
5. What language does school master Sampson try to teach the boys in "A School Story"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
2. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
3. Why is Mr. Anderson in Jutland Viborg, in "Number 13"?
4. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
5. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
6. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
7. What does Parkins dream about the night he finds the metal object? What does the maid tell him the next day?
8. What is the Tractate Middoth?
9. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
10. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the plot and subplot, in "An Episode of Cathedral History." Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does James effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)