|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what town does Parkins work?
2. Whose scrapbook does the caretaker, in "Canon Alberic's Scrapbook," show the Englishman?
3. Who is buried at the location of the rose garden?
4. In "Number 13," what is strange about all the hotels in Denmark?
5. How many wills did Mary Simpson's uncle make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parkins dream about the night he finds the metal object? What does the maid tell him the next day?
2. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
3. Whom does Mr. Garrett meet at the lodging house that helps him solve the mystery of the Tractate Middoth? How does this person help?
4. Why is Mr. Anderson in Jutland Viborg, in "Number 13"?
5. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
6. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
7. What does Dennistoun learn about the house in the painting, in "The Mezzotint"?
8. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
9. What does Mr. Wraxall learn about Count Magnus?
10. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
Essay Topic 2
How does James address the theme of revenge in his book? Choose two examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of revenge.
Essay Topic 3
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)