|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Anderson invite the landlord to his room?
2. Why does the landlord tell Mr. Anderson there is no room 13?
3. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
4. What room number does Mr. Anderson choose in "Number 13"?
5. Who does Mr. Garrett marry at the end of "The Tractate Middoth"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dennistoun arrive at S. Bertrand, and why does he want to go to the church?
2. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
3. What happens when Dennistoun brings Canon Alberic's Scrapbook into his room at night? How does he get rid of it?
4. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
5. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
6. How does Dennistoun come across Canon Alberic's Scrapbook?
7. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
8. Describe Mr. Wraxall from the story, Count Magnus.
9. What do Mrs. Anstruther and Frank see in the rose garden that scares them?
10. Why does Mr. Somerton's servant summon Mr. Gregory, in "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas"? What does Mr. Gregory do for Mr. Somerton ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 2
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
Essay Topic 3
What roles do villains play in James' stories. Choose two stories from James' collection and discuss how the villain interacts with the other characters. Is the villain always the ghost?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)