|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Williams work?
2. What is Mr. Wraxall's role in the manuscripts?
3. What is Mr. Somerton's job?
4. What happens when Mr. Somerton grabs the bag of treasure?
5. How many beds are in the room Perkins sleeps in, during the story "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
2. What does Dennistoun learn about the house in the painting, in "The Mezzotint"?
3. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
4. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
5. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
6. How does Dennistoun arrive at S. Bertrand, and why does he want to go to the church?
7. What do Mrs. Anstruther and Frank see in the rose garden that scares them?
8. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
9. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
10. Why is Mr. Anderson in Jutland Viborg, in "Number 13"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in this one story. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Then define the term antagonist and identify the antagonists in the same story. Use evidence from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)