|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written on the paper the narrator finds in "A School Story"?
2. What does Parkins not believe in?
3. What does Parkins discover on the whistle he found?
4. Where are the two men sitting and chatting in "A School Story"?
5. Where is Parkins a professor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
2. What does Mr. Wraxall learn about Count Magnus?
3. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
4. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
5. Whom does Mr. Garrett meet at the lodging house that helps him solve the mystery of the Tractate Middoth? How does this person help?
6. Describe the caretaker of S. Bertrand Church.
7. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
8. Why does Mr. Somerton's servant summon Mr. Gregory, in "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas"? What does Mr. Gregory do for Mr. Somerton ?
9. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
10. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the supernatural play in James' stories? Choose two examples and explain how it contrasts with the theme of religion. Choose two characters and discuss their relationship with the supernatural as well.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Dennistoun. Why does James choose to use this character in another story? What is the benefit of this? What is the significance of Dennistoun not believing in the supernatural?
Essay Topic 3
When considering James's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? How did James change the genre of horror and suspense writing?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)