|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Wraxall at the end of Count Magnus?
2. Who is buried at the location of the rose garden?
3. What does Mr. Somerton look at to find clues to the location of the Abbot's treasure?
4. Where did Abbot Thomas work?
5. What must happen for Mr. Somerton to be out of the Abbot's grip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dennistoun brings Canon Alberic's Scrapbook into his room at night? How does he get rid of it?
2. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
3. What is the Tractate Middoth?
4. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
5. Whom does Mr. Garrett meet at the lodging house that helps him solve the mystery of the Tractate Middoth? How does this person help?
6. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
7. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
8. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
9. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
10. How does Dennistoun come across Canon Alberic's Scrapbook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering James's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? How did James change the genre of horror and suspense writing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how superstition plays a role in the story "Number 13." Choose one other story and discuss how superstition plays a role in that story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)