|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Parkins do with the whistle, at the end of "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"?
2. In "Canon Alberic's Scrapbook," what king's photo is in the scrapbook?
3. What does Parkins not believe in?
4. What happens when Mr. Wraxall speaks to the count's tomb?
5. Why does Mr. Anderson invite the landlord to his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Mr. Garrett meet at the lodging house that helps him solve the mystery of the Tractate Middoth? How does this person help?
2. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
3. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
4. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
5. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
6. Why does Mr. Somerton's servant summon Mr. Gregory, in "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas"? What does Mr. Gregory do for Mr. Somerton ?
7. Describe the caretaker of S. Bertrand Church.
8. Describe how the painting changes, in "The Mezzotint"?
9. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
10. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What roles do villains play in James' stories. Choose two stories from James' collection and discuss how the villain interacts with the other characters. Is the villain always the ghost?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)