|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Garrett realize the will is hidden?
2. Where does Mr. Garrett meet Mary Simpson?
3. What does Parkins do with the whistle, at the end of "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"?
4. What happens when Mr. Wraxall speaks to the count's tomb?
5. In "The Rose Garden," who is Collins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
2. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
3. What does Parkins dream about the night he finds the metal object? What does the maid tell him the next day?
4. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
5. How does Dennistoun arrive at S. Bertrand, and why does he want to go to the church?
6. What is the Tractate Middoth?
7. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
8. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
9. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
10. Describe how the painting changes, in "The Mezzotint"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term climax and decide where the point of climax is within a story of your choice. Explain how the event fits the definition of climax and site examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does James use the theme of greed in his stories? Choose one story that uses the theme of greed and explain whether James uses the story to teach a lesson. What is that lesson and how does James present it to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)