|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Rose Garden," who is Collins?
2. What does Mr. Somerton ask his friend to do when he arrives at the church?
3. What do the boys see the night before school master Sampson disappears?
4. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
5. What does Abbot Thomas's treasure consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
2. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
3. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
4. Why does Mr. Somerton's servant summon Mr. Gregory, in "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas"? What does Mr. Gregory do for Mr. Somerton ?
5. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
6. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
7. What happens to John Eldred, at the end of "The Tractate Middoth"? What happens to Mr. Garrett?
8. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
9. What does Dennistoun learn about the house in the painting, in "The Mezzotint"?
10. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James address the theme of revenge in his book? Choose two examples and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of revenge.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how superstition plays a role in the story "Number 13." Choose one other story and discuss how superstition plays a role in that story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)