|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has memories about where the rose garden is to be planted?
2. Where does Mr. Anderson find the mysterious papers at the end of "Number 13"?
3. What does Dennistoun decide not to publish in "The Mezzotint"?
4. In "Canon Alberic's Scrapbook," what king's photo is in the scrapbook?
5. Who does Mr. Williams learn was hung for a crime while the artist was painting his picture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
2. What does Mr. Anderson notice about the Number 13 while he is in town? What is the reason for this occurrence?
3. Describe Mr. Wraxall from the story, Count Magnus.
4. What does Parkins dream about the night he finds the metal object? What does the maid tell him the next day?
5. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
6. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
7. What does Mr. Wraxall learn about Count Magnus?
8. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
9. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
10. What happens to John Eldred, at the end of "The Tractate Middoth"? What happens to Mr. Garrett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the supernatural play in James' stories? Choose two examples and explain how it contrasts with the theme of religion. Choose two characters and discuss their relationship with the supernatural as well.
Essay Topic 3
What roles do villains play in James' stories. Choose two stories from James' collection and discuss how the villain interacts with the other characters. Is the villain always the ghost?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)