|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys see the night before school master Sampson disappears?
2. What sport does Parkins play with his friend, in the story "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"?
3. Where does Mr. Anderson find the mysterious papers at the end of "Number 13"?
4. What does Mr. Somerton ask his friend to do when he arrives at the church?
5. What does Dennistoun decide not to publish in "The Mezzotint"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
2. How does Dennistoun come across Canon Alberic's Scrapbook?
3. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
4. Describe the caretaker of S. Bertrand Church.
5. What happens to John Eldred, at the end of "The Tractate Middoth"? What happens to Mr. Garrett?
6. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
7. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
8. Why is Mr. Anderson in Jutland Viborg, in "Number 13"?
9. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
10. What do Mrs. Anstruther and Frank see in the rose garden that scares them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
Essay Topic 2
When considering James's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? How did James change the genre of horror and suspense writing?
Essay Topic 3
How does James treat female characters in his stories? Choose one female character and explain James' depiction of her. Is she a positive or negative character? What is the significance of James' choices?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)