|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when John Eldred locates the will?
2. Who does Mr. Garrett marry at the end of "The Tractate Middoth"?
3. What does Parkins do with the whistle, at the end of "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"?
4. Why does the landlord tell Mr. Anderson there is no room 13?
5. Who does Mr. Williams invite to look at the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
2. How does Dennistoun come across Canon Alberic's Scrapbook?
3. What happens when Mr. Davidson returns to the church on St. Mark's day?
4. What does Mr. Wraxall learn about Count Magnus?
5. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
6. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
7. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
8. What happens when Dennistoun brings Canon Alberic's Scrapbook into his room at night? How does he get rid of it?
9. What does Dennistoun learn about the house in the painting, in "The Mezzotint"?
10. What does Mr. Harrington return to Mr. Karswell, and what happens to Mr. Karswell, at the end of "Casting the Runes"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does James address the theme of religion in his book? Choose two examples of examples of how religion presents itself and explain how these examples contribute to the theme religion.
Essay Topic 2
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the prayer books, in "Uncommon Prayer-Books." What is the significance of this story and how does it apply to the theme of magic and religion?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)