|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dennistoun decide not to publish in "The Mezzotint"?
2. What does Parkins discover on the whistle he found?
3. How much does the Englishman pay the caretaker for the Canon Alberic's scrapbook?
4. What happens when John Eldred locates the will?
5. What does Parkins find at the job site, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
2. How does Dennistoun come across Canon Alberic's Scrapbook?
3. What is Abbot Thomas's treasure? Where is it located?
4. What happens to John Eldred, at the end of "The Tractate Middoth"? What happens to Mr. Garrett?
5. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
6. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
7. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
8. How does Mr. Anderson's room change, in "Number 13"?
9. Describe Parkins, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad."
10. Whom does Mr. Garrett meet at the lodging house that helps him solve the mystery of the Tractate Middoth? How does this person help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term climax and decide where the point of climax is within a story of your choice. Explain how the event fits the definition of climax and site examples from the book.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)