|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Mezzotint," what does Mr. Williams realize the painting is doing?
2. In "The Rose Garden," who is Collins?
3. Where does Mr. Williams work?
4. What part of the church is Mr. Wraxall unable to enter?
5. Where are the two men sitting and chatting in "A School Story"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
2. What happens to John Eldred, at the end of "The Tractate Middoth"? What happens to Mr. Garrett?
3. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
4. What is odd about the wood carvings in John Haynes room, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
5. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
6. What happens when Mr. Somerton finds Abbot Thomas' treasure? How does he fix what happens?
7. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
8. What passage does Mr. Humphreys find that describes the maze?
9. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
10. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dennistoun. Why does James choose to use this character in another story? What is the benefit of this? What is the significance of Dennistoun not believing in the supernatural?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How does James address the theme of religion in his book? Choose two examples of examples of how religion presents itself and explain how these examples contribute to the theme religion.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)