|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Anderson find the mysterious papers at the end of "Number 13"?
2. What color does the Englishman notice concerning the caretaker while at S. Bertrand Church?
3. What is in the painting that Mr. Williams orders?
4. What does Mr. Anderson realize is missing from his room after a day of work?
5. What language does school master Sampson try to teach the boys in "A School Story"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parkins dream about the night he finds the metal object? What does the maid tell him the next day?
2. How does Dennistoun arrive at S. Bertrand, and why does he want to go to the church?
3. Describe the documents Mr. Anderson finds at the end of "Number 13." Where does he find them? What do they reveal? What does he do with them?
4. What happens when Dennistoun brings Canon Alberic's Scrapbook into his room at night? How does he get rid of it?
5. Why does Parkins get rid of the metal object he finds, in "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad"? How does he get rid of it?
6. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
7. Whom does Mr. Garrett meet at the lodging house that helps him solve the mystery of the Tractate Middoth? How does this person help?
8. Describe how the painting changes, in "The Mezzotint"?
9. Describe Mr. Wraxall from the story, Count Magnus.
10. What does Mr. Somerton do for a living, and how does it lead him to the treasure of Abbot Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how superstition plays a role in the story "Number 13." Choose one other story and discuss how superstition plays a role in that story.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the plot and subplot, in "An Episode of Cathedral History." Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does James effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 3
How does James use point of view to engage the reader and enhance the plot? Choose one story and determine whose point of view the story is being told from. How does this effect the reader's engagement with the characters and plot?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)