|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many beds are in the room Perkins sleeps in, during the story "Oh Whistle, and I'll come to You, My Lad."
2. What is the Tractate Middoth?
3. What does Parkins realize is wrong with the figure that appears in his room?
4. What does Mr. Williams' servant see when he looks at the painting?
5. What does Mr. Somerton forget to replace when he leaves the Abbot's treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Wraxall after he views Count Magnus's tomb?
2. Why is Mr. Anderson in Jutland Viborg, in "Number 13"?
3. What do Mrs. Anstruther and Frank see in the rose garden that scares them?
4. What does Dennistoun learn about the house in the painting, in "The Mezzotint"?
5. How does Dennistoun come across Canon Alberic's Scrapbook?
6. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
7. Describe the caretaker of S. Bertrand Church.
8. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
9. What painting does Mr. Williams think Dennistoun would like, in "The Mezzotint"? What does Dennistoun think of the painting?
10. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering James's life, where do you believe he found the inspiration for his book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? How did James change the genre of horror and suspense writing?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How does description play a role in an author's work? How does the author use description to draw the reader into the story? What are some examples where the description does not work?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)