|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Williams invite to look at the painting?
2. What does Collins warn the Anstruthers about the rose garden?
3. What does Parkins realize is wrong with the figure that appears in his room?
4. In "The Mezzotint," what does Mr. Williams realize the painting is doing?
5. Who is buried at the location of the rose garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What the city of Chorazin, and how does Mr. Wraxall learn about it?
2. Where does Dennistoun lock the painting away? What does Mr. Dennistoun's servant see in the painting?
3. Describe the caretaker of S. Bertrand Church.
4. What do the two men discuss, at the start of "A School Story "?
5. What does Parkins dream about the night he finds the metal object? What does the maid tell him the next day?
6. What does Mr. Wraxall learn about Count Magnus?
7. Describe Mr. Wraxall from the story, Count Magnus.
8. Why does Collins try to warn Mrs. Anstruther not to plant her rose garden in the chosen location?
9. Who is Master Sampson, and what does he carry with him?
10. What happens when Mr. Garrett goes to look for the Tractate Middoth a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Count Magnus and Mr. Wraxall? What purpose does this relationship serve in the story "Count Magnus." Why does James utilize this chemistry between characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the solitary traveler in James' books? Use two stories that use this character and how it relates to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How does James address the theme of religion in his book? Choose two examples of examples of how religion presents itself and explain how these examples contribute to the theme religion.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)