|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Humphrey see in the hole in the paper?
(a) A fire.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A face.
(d) A letter.
2. In "Casting the Runes," what does Mr. Karswell show the children?
(a) A scary slide show.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A Disney movie.
(d) A gold coin.
3. What is actually in the strange room Mr. Thomson goes into?
(a) A child.
(b) A leg.
(c) A spellbook.
(d) A skeleton.
4. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
5. What does the narrator read about John Haynes, at the start of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
(a) A short story.
(b) An obituary.
(c) A news report.
(d) Sports statistics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the two men vacationing in "A Warning to the Curious"?
2. What happens to Mr. Burton, at the end of "The Malice of Inanimate Objects"?
3. Why is Dunning left home alone at night?
4. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
5. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
2. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
3. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
4. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
5. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
6. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
7. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
8. Who is Mr. Poschwitz, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
9. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
10. What is the legend of the three crowns?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)