|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the strange forest, in "A Neighbour's Landmark"?
(a) Betton Wood.
(b) McKale Wood.
(c) Sherwood Forest.
(d) Pine Forest.
2. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter", what is the man found dead without?
(c) His watch.
(d) His wool coat.
3. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
(c) Lipstick prints.
4. What makes the narrator nervous, in "A Vignette"?
(a) His mother.
(b) A dog.
(c) A gate.
(d) The water.
5. What is actually in the strange room Mr. Thomson goes into?
(a) A skeleton.
(b) A leg.
(c) A child.
(d) A spellbook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator read about John Haynes, at the start of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
2. Where does Mr. Humphrey find a pedestal with a globe on it?
3. Who does Mr. Davidson meet on his walk home, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
4. In "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance," what does Mr. Humphrey learn is hidden in the globe?
5. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
2. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
3. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
4. What is the legend of the three crowns?
5. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
6. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
7. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
8. What does the old man Mr. Davidson meets tell him about, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
9. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
10. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)