|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance," what does Mr. Humphrey learn is hidden in the globe?
(a) A letter.
(b) A map.
(c) A skeleton.
2. What does the narrator claim happened to him, at the end of "A Vignette"?
(a) He dies.
(b) He passed out.
(c) He went blind.
(d) He is haunted for the rest of his life.
3. On what holiday does Mr. Davidson plan to return to the chapel?
(b) St. Mark's Day.
(d) St. Jude's Day.
4. Where does Squire Francis Bowles request to be buried, in "The Experiment"?
(a) A tomb.
(b) His house.
(c) A vault.
(d) An earthen grave.
5. What does Miss Denton decide to make curtains from, in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) A pattern in the diary.
(b) After the sunset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the narrator nervous, in "A Vignette"?
2. Why was John Harrington murdered, in "Casting the Runes"?
3. Where is the inn that Mr. Thomson stays, in the story "Rats"?
4. What do the police suspect killed Mr. Poshwitz?
5. Who did Mr. Humphrey receive his inheritance from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
2. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
3. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
4. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
5. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
6. Who is Mr. Poschwitz, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
7. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
8. Describe the hedge maze, in "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance."
9. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
10. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)