|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Ivy want?
(b) Her land.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her head.
2. Where did John Haynes work?
(a) Gone Again plumbing
(b) New Hope Parish.
(c) Georgetown High School.
(d) Barchester Cathedral.
3. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
4. What does Miss Denton decide to make curtains from, in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) After the sunset.
(d) A pattern in the diary.
5. What does Mr. Thomson think he sees in the strange room, in "Rats"?
(a) A woman.
(b) A scarecrow.
(c) A stick.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
2. What makes the narrator nervous, in "A Vignette"?
3. What is Mr. Humphrey's inheritance?
4. What is Mrs. Porter's job at the chapel?
5. What happens to John Haynes' wood carvings after his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
2. What did the dean find when he remodeled the church, in "An Episode of Cathedral History."
3. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
4. Why does Squire Francis Bowles want to be buried in an earthy grave?
5. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
6. Who is Lady Ivy and what does she want?
7. What is in the sphere at the end of "Mr. Humphreys and his Inheritance," and what does Mr. Humphreys decide it means?
8. What does the old man Mr. Davidson meets tell him about, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
9. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
10. What is the legend of the three crowns?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)