|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "A Warning to the Curious," what is the purpose of the three crowns?
(a) To bring wealth.
(b) To have a happy marriage.
(c) To extend life.
(d) To protect the country.
2. During what season does John Haynes begin to hear strange whispering?
3. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
(a) His friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife and son.
(d) A stranger.
4. Why did it take John Haynes a long time to obtain his job?
(a) The economy was bad.
(b) He was lazy.
(c) He needed more skills.
(d) The priest would not retire.
5. What is uncommon about the prayer books, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
(a) They bleed.
(b) They are all open to the same page.
(c) They sing.
(d) The burn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
2. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mr. Davidson think of the man he meets at the hotel?
3. Who does Mr. Davidson meet on his walk home, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
4. Who is Mr. Cooper, in the story "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
5. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did the last dean do, according to Mr. Worby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
2. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
3. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
4. What is the legend of the three crowns?
5. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
6. What does Mr. Thomson find in the strange room, in the story "Rats"?
7. What does the narrator learn about the wood carvings, at the end of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
8. Who is John Haynes, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
9. Why does Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, and who does he stay with in "An Episode of Cathedral History"? Why is this person important to the tale?
10. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)