|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
(a) He used to climb it.
(b) It was from his backyard.
(c) People were hung from it.
(d) A man hit it with his car.
2. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
3. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
(a) His mother.
(b) His wife and son.
(c) A stranger.
(d) His friend.
4. What does Mr. Davidson discover about Mr. Poshwitz, at the end of "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
(a) He is the man from the hotel.
(b) He is a ghost.
(c) He was the head priest.
(d) He is his brother.
5. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who followed John Harrington prior to his death?
2. How many prayer books does Mrs. Porter discuss with Mr. Davidson?
3. What falls on Mr. Karswell that kills him?
4. What does Miss Denton decide to make curtains from, in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
5. Who did Mr. Humphrey receive his inheritance from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
2. What passage does Mr. Humphreys find that describes the maze?
3. In the story "A Vignette," what does the narrator see when he looks into the garden?
4. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
5. Who reads Mr. Karswell's paper, in "Casting the Runes," and what happens to this person?
6. What is odd about the wood carvings in John Haynes room, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
7. What role does the secretary play, in "Casting the Runes"?
8. What does Mr. Thomson find in the strange room, in the story "Rats"?
9. Who is Mr. Denton haunted by in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," and what does he learn about that person?
10. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mrs. Porter says is wrong at the church?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)