|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
2. Where is the inn that Mr. Thomson stays, in the story "Rats"?
3. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter", what is the man found dead without?
(b) His wool coat.
(c) His watch.
4. What wood carving comes to life in John Haynes' office when he touches it?
(a) A cat.
(b) A pig.
(c) A dog.
(d) A dragon.
5. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
(a) He used to climb it.
(b) It was from his backyard.
(c) A man hit it with his car.
(d) People were hung from it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mr. Humphrey, Mr. Cooper, and Mr. Cooper's wife almost get lost?
2. What does Lady Ivy want?
3. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," what covers the human figure that appears to Mr. Denton?
4. How many prayer books does Mrs. Porter discuss with Mr. Davidson?
5. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mr. Davidson think of the man he meets at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Karswell, one of the main characters in "Casting the Runes," a vicious man?
2. What is the legend of the three crowns?
3. Who is Lady Ivy and what does she want?
4. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," how do the objects attack the men in the story?
5. How does Miss Denton use the diary, in the story "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
6. Who is Paxton, in the story "A Warning to the Curious," and what happens to him?
7. What inheritance does Mr. Humphreys receive from his uncle?
8. In "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral," how did John Haynes' predecessor die?
9. What does the old man Mr. Davidson meets tell him about, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
10. What is unusual about Betton Woods?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)