|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
(a) A stranger.
(b) His mother.
(c) His friend.
(d) His wife and son.
2. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did the last dean do, according to Mr. Worby?
(a) Make fun of people.
(c) Burn the Cathedral.
3. What is Mr. Humphrey's inheritance?
(a) A car.
(b) A yacht.
(c) An estate.
(d) A book.
4. What does Mr. Humphrey see in the hole in the paper?
(a) A letter.
(b) A fire.
(c) A face.
(d) A monkey.
5. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mr. Davidson think of the man he meets at the hotel?
6. Why does Miss Denton become angry at Mr. Denton in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) He teases her.
(b) He hates her singing.
(c) He does not cook her dinner.
(d) He forgets to run an errand.
7. What did the dean discover, in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
(a) An old cross.
(b) A tomb.
(c) A new bible.
(d) A murder.
8. What happens to Mr. Paxton, at the end of "A Warning to the Curious"?
(a) He dies.
(b) He is exiled.
(c) He wins the lottery.
(d) He becomes famous.
9. Where are the two men vacationing in "A Warning to the Curious"?
(b) New York.
10. What does the narrator read about John Haynes, at the start of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
(a) An obituary.
(b) A news report.
(c) Sports statistics.
(d) A short story.
11. What does Mr. Davidson plan to do while his family is out of town, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Travel and work.
(c) Go out to eat.
(d) Rob a bank.
12. How many prayer books does Mrs. Porter discuss with Mr. Davidson?
13. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
(a) He used to climb it.
(b) A man hit it with his car.
(c) It was from his backyard.
(d) People were hung from it.
14. Where is John Haynes found dead?
(a) A tree.
(b) In the church.
(c) In his bed.
(d) The bottom of the stairs.
15. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," where does the person Mr. Davidson meets on his walk say his daughter works?
(a) Apple Mannor.
(b) Sharper Image.
(d) A local school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
2. What does Mr. Thomson think he sees in the strange room, in "Rats"?
3. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
4. Who does Mr. Davidson meet on his walk home, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
5. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)