|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did it take John Haynes a long time to obtain his job?
(a) The economy was bad.
(b) He was lazy.
(c) He needed more skills.
(d) The priest would not retire.
2. Who is Mr. Worby,in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
(a) A king.
(b) The caretaker.
(c) The priest.
(d) A cop.
3. What does Miss Denton decide to make curtains from, in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(b) After the sunset.
(c) A pattern in the diary.
4. Why was John Harrington murdered, in "Casting the Runes"?
(a) No reason.
(b) He didn't like Mr. Karswell's paper.
(c) He insulted Mr. Karswell's wife.
(d) He stole from Mr. Karswell.
5. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
(d) Lipstick prints.
6. Who is Mr. Cooper, in the story "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A neighbor of his mother's.
(c) A neighbor of his uncle's.
(d) A doctor.
7. In "A Warning to the Curious," who does Mr. Paxton claim is following him?
(a) A man.
(b) A small child.
(c) A dog.
(d) A woman.
8. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
9. What does Mr. Davidson discover about Mr. Poshwitz, at the end of "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
(a) He was the head priest.
(b) He is the man from the hotel.
(c) He is a ghost.
(d) He is his brother.
10. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
11. What falls on Mr. Karswell that kills him?
(a) A man.
(b) A stone.
(c) A piano.
(d) A statue.
12. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did the last dean do, according to Mr. Worby?
(b) Make fun of people.
(c) Burn the Cathedral.
13. Why does Miss Denton become angry at Mr. Denton in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) He hates her singing.
(b) He teases her.
(c) He does not cook her dinner.
(d) He forgets to run an errand.
14. In "Casting the Runes," what does Mr. Karswell show the children?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A scary slide show.
(d) A Disney movie.
15. What does Mr. Cooper plan to show his wife, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) The maze.
(b) The antique doll.
(c) The robe.
(d) The book.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter, " what was the dead man's coffin filled with?
2. What is actually in the strange room Mr. Thomson goes into?
3. Where are the two men vacationing in "A Warning to the Curious"?
4. What happens to Mr. Burton, at the end of "The Malice of Inanimate Objects"?
5. What is described as being a parable, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)