|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
(a) A library.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A field.
(d) A bar.
2. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
(d) Lipstick prints.
3. What does Dunning slip the sheet of paper into that belongs to Mr. Karswell?
(a) An envelope.
(b) His briefcase.
(c) A ticket case.
(d) His pocket.
4. How many prayer books does Mrs. Porter discuss with Mr. Davidson?
5. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
6. What does Dunning find under his pillow?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A letter.
(d) A dead animal.
7. Whose paper did the society deny, in "Casting the Runes"?
(a) Mrs. Franga.
(b) Mr. Joel.
(c) Mrs. Steed.
(d) Mr. Karswell.
8. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
(a) It was from his backyard.
(b) He used to climb it.
(c) A man hit it with his car.
(d) People were hung from it.
9. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mr. Davidson think of the man he meets at the hotel?
10. What falls on Mr. Karswell that kills him?
(a) A piano.
(b) A stone.
(c) A man.
(d) A statue.
11. What is Lady Wardrop writing a book about?
(a) Old shoes.
(d) Antique books.
12. What makes the narrator nervous, in "A Vignette"?
(a) The water.
(b) A gate.
(c) His mother.
(d) A dog.
13. What society does the secretary belong to, at the start of "Casting the Runes"?
14. What does Mr. Humphrey see in the hole in the paper?
(a) A face.
(b) A letter.
(c) A fire.
(d) A monkey.
15. Who is Mr. Cooper, in the story "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A neighbor of his mother's.
(c) A neighbor of his uncle's.
(d) A teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John Haynes work?
2. What do the police suspect killed Mr. Poshwitz?
3. Why was John Harrington murdered, in "Casting the Runes"?
4. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
5. In "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance," what does Mr. Humphrey learn is hidden in the globe?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)