|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mr. Davidson think of the man he meets at the hotel?
2. During what season does John Haynes begin to hear strange whispering?
3. What makes the narrator nervous, in "A Vignette"?
(a) A dog.
(b) His mother.
(c) The water.
(d) A gate.
4. How many prayer books does Mrs. Porter discuss with Mr. Davidson?
5. What does Mr. Cooper plan to show his wife, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) The maze.
(b) The book.
(c) The robe.
(d) The antique doll.
6. What happens to John Haynes' wood carvings after his death?
(a) The come to life and run away.
(b) They are sold.
(c) They stay in his office.
(d) They burn.
7. Where do Mr. Humphrey, Mr. Cooper, and Mr. Cooper's wife almost get lost?
(a) The house.
(b) The mall.
(c) At sea.
(d) The maze.
8. What is described as being a parable, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) The donkey.
(b) The passage.
(c) The doll.
(d) The police officer.
9. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did Mr. Worby see as a child?
(a) A fight.
(b) A horse with two heads.
(c) His father's murder.
(d) A hairy figure.
10. In what month will a person die if he or she touches the carvings, in the story "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
11. What happens to Mr. Paxton, at the end of "A Warning to the Curious"?
(a) He wins the lottery.
(b) He becomes famous.
(c) He is exiled.
(d) He dies.
12. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
(a) A train.
(b) The television.
(d) The newspaper.
13. What is uncommon about the prayer books, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
(a) They sing.
(b) They are all open to the same page.
(c) They bleed.
(d) The burn.
14. What is Mrs. Porter's job at the chapel?
(a) Religious advisor.
15. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did the last dean do, according to Mr. Worby?
(b) Burn the Cathedral.
(c) Make fun of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John Haynes work?
2. What happens to the man, in "A Neighbour's Landmark," when he enters the forest?
3. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
4. What does Mr. Davidson discover about Mr. Poshwitz, at the end of "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
5. In "A Warning to the Curious," who does Mr. Paxton claim is following him?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)