|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Davidson meet on his walk home, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
(a) An old man.
(b) His niece.
(c) An old woman.
(d) An old friend.
2. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
(a) He used to climb it.
(b) It was from his backyard.
(c) A man hit it with his car.
(d) People were hung from it.
3. What happens to Mr. Burton, at the end of "The Malice of Inanimate Objects"?
(a) He is found with his throat slit.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He marries his high school sweetheart.
(d) He makes a lot of money.
4. Why did Mr. Lake go to the cathedral, in "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
(a) To study records.
(b) To pray.
(c) To work.
(d) To meet the priest.
5. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," what covers the human figure that appears to Mr. Denton?
6. What is Mrs. Porter's job at the chapel?
(b) Religious advisor.
7. What does John Haynes do for a living?
8. Whose paper did the society deny, in "Casting the Runes"?
(a) Mr. Karswell.
(b) Mrs. Franga.
(c) Mr. Joel.
(d) Mrs. Steed.
9. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
(d) Lipstick prints.
10. What wood carving comes to life in John Haynes' office when he touches it?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dragon.
(c) A dog.
(d) A pig.
11. In "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance," what does Mr. Humphrey learn is hidden in the globe?
(b) A skeleton.
(c) A letter.
(d) A map.
12. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) A train.
(c) The television.
13. What does Mr. Denton initially think about Mr. Poynter's diaries?
14. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
(a) A field.
(b) A bar.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A library.
15. Who is Mr. Worby,in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
(a) A cop.
(b) The priest.
(c) The caretaker.
(d) A king.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did it take John Haynes a long time to obtain his job?
2. Who followed John Harrington prior to his death?
3. During what season does John Haynes begin to hear strange whispering?
4. Who went to the chapel, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," to take photographs?
5. What is Lady Wardrop writing a book about?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)