|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what holiday does Mr. Davidson plan to return to the chapel?
(b) St. Mark's Day.
(c) St. Jude's Day.
2. What does Mr. Humphrey see in the hole in the paper?
(a) A fire.
(b) A letter.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A face.
3. Whose paper did the society deny, in "Casting the Runes"?
(a) Mr. Karswell.
(b) Mr. Joel.
(c) Mrs. Franga.
(d) Mrs. Steed.
4. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
(a) A play.
(b) A garden.
(c) The ocean.
(d) A movie theater.
5. What does the narrator read about John Haynes, at the start of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
(a) Sports statistics.
(b) An obituary.
(c) A news report.
(d) A short story.
6. What is described as being a parable, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) The donkey.
(b) The doll.
(c) The police officer.
(d) The passage.
7. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
(b) Lipstick prints.
8. Why is the secretary afraid for Dunning?
(a) He stole from Mr. Karswell.
(b) He is bankrupt.
(c) He stole from the bank.
(d) He criticized Mr. Karswell's paper.
9. What does the narrator claim happened to him, at the end of "A Vignette"?
(a) He went blind.
(b) He is haunted for the rest of his life.
(c) He passed out.
(d) He dies.
10. What does John Haynes do for a living?
11. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
(a) A field.
(b) A library.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A bar.
12. What is Lady Wardrop writing a book about?
(b) Old shoes.
(d) Antique books.
13. What does Mr. Denton initially think about Mr. Poynter's diaries?
14. Where does Mr. Denton go, at the start of "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) A school.
(c) A museum.
(d) A hospital.
15. What happens to the man, in "A Neighbour's Landmark," when he enters the forest?
(a) He meets an old witch.
(b) He dies.
(c) Something shrieks in his ear.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Warning to the Curious," what is the purpose of the three crowns?
2. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," what covers the human figure that appears to Mr. Denton?
3. What society does the secretary belong to, at the start of "Casting the Runes"?
4. Where are the two men vacationing in "A Warning to the Curious"?
5. What falls on Mr. Karswell that kills him?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)