|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miss Denton become angry at Mr. Denton in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) He forgets to run an errand.
(b) He hates her singing.
(c) He does not cook her dinner.
(d) He teases her.
2. What is Mr. Humphrey's inheritance?
(a) A book.
(b) A car.
(c) An estate.
(d) A yacht.
3. What society does the secretary belong to, at the start of "Casting the Runes"?
4. Why did it take John Haynes a long time to obtain his job?
(a) The economy was bad.
(b) He needed more skills.
(c) The priest would not retire.
(d) He was lazy.
5. On what holiday does Mr. Davidson plan to return to the chapel?
(a) St. Mark's Day.
(b) St. Jude's Day.
6. How was John Haynes predecessor killed?
(b) Fell on the stairs.
(d) Heart attack.
7. What does Mr. Denton initially think about Mr. Poynter's diaries?
8. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did the last dean do, according to Mr. Worby?
(b) Make fun of people.
(c) Burn the Cathedral.
9. Who is Lady Ivy?
(a) A queen.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A maid.
10. What does John Haynes do for a living?
11. In "Casting the Runes," what does Mr. Karswell show the children?
(a) A gold coin.
(b) A scary slide show.
(c) A Disney movie.
(d) A puppy.
12. Where does Dunning see a mysterious advertisement, in "Castine the Rune"?
(a) A train.
(b) The television.
(c) The newspaper.
13. What does the narrator read about John Haynes, at the start of "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"?
(a) A short story.
(b) A news report.
(c) An obituary.
(d) Sports statistics.
14. Where does Mr. Humphrey find a pedestal with a globe on it?
(a) The center of the maze.
(b) The trunk.
(c) The attic.
(d) The dock.
15. What wood carving comes to life in John Haynes' office when he touches it?
(a) A dog.
(b) A pig.
(c) A dragon.
(d) A cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter", what is the man found dead without?
2. What happens to Mr. Paxton, at the end of "A Warning to the Curious"?
3. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
4. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
5. Why is Dunning left home alone at night?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)