|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Casting the Runes," what covers the sheet of paper Dunning's receives?
(c) Lipstick prints.
2. Whose paper did the society deny, in "Casting the Runes"?
(a) Mrs. Steed.
(b) Mrs. Franga.
(c) Mr. Karswell.
(d) Mr. Joel.
3. How was John Haynes predecessor killed?
(a) Heart attack.
(b) Fell on the stairs.
4. What did the dean discover, in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
(a) A murder.
(b) An old cross.
(c) A tomb.
(d) A new bible.
5. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
6. Who followed John Harrington prior to his death?
(a) A cop.
(b) Mr. Karswell.
(c) His wife.
(d) The secretary.
7. On what holiday does Mr. Davidson plan to return to the chapel?
(b) St. Mark's Day.
(c) St. Jude's Day.
8. What happens to the man, in "A Neighbour's Landmark," when he enters the forest?
(b) He dies.
(c) He meets an old witch.
(d) Something shrieks in his ear.
9. What falls on Mr. Karswell that kills him?
(a) A man.
(b) A stone.
(c) A statue.
(d) A piano.
10. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
(a) A play.
(b) A movie theater.
(c) The ocean.
(d) A garden.
11. What happens to Mr. Paxton, at the end of "A Warning to the Curious"?
(a) He wins the lottery.
(b) He is exiled.
(c) He becomes famous.
(d) He dies.
12. Why does Miss Denton become angry at Mr. Denton in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) He teases her.
(b) He forgets to run an errand.
(c) He does not cook her dinner.
(d) He hates her singing.
13. Where is John Haynes found dead?
(a) A tree.
(b) The bottom of the stairs.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In the church.
14. Where is the inn that Mr. Thomson stays, in the story "Rats"?
15. What does Mr. Humphrey see in the hole in the paper?
(a) A fire.
(b) A letter.
(c) A face.
(d) A monkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Cooper plan to show his wife, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
2. Why is Dunning left home alone at night?
3. What does Miss Denton decide to make curtains from, in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
4. What do the police suspect killed Mr. Poshwitz?
5. What does Mr. Cooper try to find a key to?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)