|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What falls on Mr. Karswell that kills him?
(a) A piano.
(b) A stone.
(c) A statue.
(d) A man.
2. What happens, in "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," when Mr. Davidson returns to the chapel?
(a) The chapel burned to the ground.
(b) Mrs. Porter is dead.
(c) The prayer books are replaced.
(d) The chapel is gone.
3. What society does the secretary belong to, at the start of "Casting the Runes"?
4. What does the narrator ask the reader to think about, in "A Vignette"?
(a) A movie theater.
(b) A play.
(c) A garden.
(d) The ocean.
5. Where does Mr. Humphrey find a pedestal with a globe on it?
(a) The dock.
(b) The trunk.
(c) The attic.
(d) The center of the maze.
6. In "A Warning to the Curious," what is the purpose of the three crowns?
(a) To bring wealth.
(b) To extend life.
(c) To protect the country.
(d) To have a happy marriage.
7. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
(a) It was from his backyard.
(b) People were hung from it.
(c) He used to climb it.
(d) A man hit it with his car.
8. Where are the two men vacationing in "A Warning to the Curious"?
(d) New York.
9. What does Miss Denton decide to make curtains from, in "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(c) A pattern in the diary.
(d) After the sunset.
10. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
11. In "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance," what does Mr. Humphrey learn is hidden in the globe?
(a) A skeleton.
(b) A letter.
(d) A map.
12. What is Mr. Humphrey's inheritance?
(a) An estate.
(b) A book.
(c) A yacht.
(d) A car.
13. Who is Lady Ivy?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A queen.
(c) A maid.
(d) A ghost.
14. What is the most prominent feature of Mr. Humphrey's inheritance?
(a) The length of the yacht.
(b) The rimmed wheels.
(c) The mazes.
(d) The poetic passages.
15. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," what does Mr. Davidson think of the man he meets at the hotel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did it take John Haynes a long time to obtain his job?
2. What happens to Mr. Paxton, at the end of "A Warning to the Curious"?
3. What color is the stone Mr. Thomson finds in the road?
4. Where does Squire Francis Bowles request to be buried, in "The Experiment"?
5. What does Mr. Davidson discover about Mr. Poshwitz, at the end of "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)