|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What society does the secretary belong to, at the start of "Casting the Runes"?
2. Why is Dunning left home alone at night?
(a) His servants are sick.
(b) He is going through a divorce.
(c) His children are at college.
(d) He likes to be alone.
3. What is described as being a parable, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) The donkey.
(b) The police officer.
(c) The doll.
(d) The passage.
4. What is actually in the strange room Mr. Thomson goes into?
(a) A leg.
(b) A spellbook.
(c) A child.
(d) A skeleton.
5. Who killed Squire Francis Bowles?
(a) His friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His wife and son.
(d) A stranger.
6. What does Mr. Humphrey see in the hole in the paper?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A letter.
(c) A fire.
(d) A face.
7. In "An Episode of Cathedral History," what did the last dean do, according to Mr. Worby?
(a) Burn the Cathedral.
(c) Make fun of people.
8. Where does Mr. Denton go, at the start of "The Diary of Mr. Poynter"?
(a) A school.
(b) A museum.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A bookstore.
9. What happens to John Haynes' wood carvings after his death?
(a) They are sold.
(b) They burn.
(c) They stay in his office.
(d) The come to life and run away.
10. What is uncommon about the prayer books, in the story "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
(a) They bleed.
(b) The burn.
(c) They are all open to the same page.
(d) They sing.
11. What does Dunning find under his pillow?
(a) A letter.
(b) A gold coin.
(c) A dead animal.
(d) Fifty dollars.
12. Who did Mr. Humphrey receive his inheritance from?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His aunt.
13. What did the dean discover, in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
(a) An old cross.
(b) A murder.
(c) A new bible.
(d) A tomb.
14. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
(a) A bar.
(b) A library.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A field.
15. Where does Squire Francis Bowles request to be buried, in "The Experiment"?
(a) An earthen grave.
(b) A tomb.
(c) His house.
(d) A vault.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lady Ivy?
2. What does John Haynes do for a living?
3. In "The Uncommon Prayer-Book," where does the person Mr. Davidson meets on his walk say his daughter works?
4. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," what does Mr. Burton put his cane through?
5. What markings are on John Haynes' face when they find him dead?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)