|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did it take John Haynes a long time to obtain his job?
(a) He needed more skills.
(b) The priest would not retire.
(c) The economy was bad.
(d) He was lazy.
2. What does Mr. Cooper plan to show his wife, in "Mr. Humphrey's Inheritance"?
(a) The maze.
(b) The robe.
(c) The antique doll.
(d) The book.
3. Who is Mr. Worby,in the story "An Episode of Cathedral History"?
(a) The caretaker.
(b) A king.
(c) The priest.
(d) A cop.
4. Where is the man when "A Neighbour's Landmark" begins?
(a) A field.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A bar.
(d) A library.
5. What does Dunning slip the sheet of paper into that belongs to Mr. Karswell?
(a) A ticket case.
(b) An envelope.
(c) His briefcase.
(d) His pocket.
6. Where does Squire Francis Bowles request to be buried, in "The Experiment"?
(a) An earthen grave.
(b) A tomb.
(c) His house.
(d) A vault.
7. What color is the stone Mr. Thomson finds in the road?
8. What falls on Mr. Karswell that kills him?
(a) A statue.
(b) A piano.
(c) A stone.
(d) A man.
9. What is Mrs. Porter's job at the chapel?
(b) Religious advisor.
10. Where are the two men vacationing in "A Warning to the Curious"?
(c) New York.
11. How was John Haynes predecessor killed?
(a) Heart attack.
(d) Fell on the stairs.
12. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter," what covers the human figure that appears to Mr. Denton?
13. In "The Diary of Mr. Poynter", what is the man found dead without?
(a) His wool coat.
(d) His watch.
14. Why is the secretary afraid for Dunning?
(a) He stole from Mr. Karswell.
(b) He stole from the bank.
(c) He is bankrupt.
(d) He criticized Mr. Karswell's paper.
15. There are several carvings in John Haynes' office made from a tree. What is significant about the tree?
(a) He used to climb it.
(b) A man hit it with his car.
(c) It was from his backyard.
(d) People were hung from it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lady Ivy?
2. In "A Warning to the Curious," what is the purpose of the three crowns?
3. What does Mr. Davidson discover about Mr. Poshwitz, at the end of "The Uncommon Prayer-Book"?
4. Why is Dunning left home alone at night?
5. In "The Malice of Inanimate Objects," what does Mr. Burton put his cane through?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)