|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does bond fear the men will do to Vesper?
2. What does Vesper say the gunman put over her head in the car?
3. What is Bond's biggest fear in this chapter?
4. What is the surprise destination?
5. Where does the gunman hit Bond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bond worried about seeing Vesper?
2. What does Vesper's note say?
3. What happens to Vesper in Chapter 14?
4. What do you think Vesper's speech about islands reveals about her character?
5. What are Bond's true feelings about Vesper as outlined in Chapter 22?
6. What does the note to Vesper say in Chapter 14?
7. How does Vesper react to Bond seeing her in the telephone booth in Chapter 25?
8. What decision does Bond make at the end of Chapter 23?
9. What is Bond's opinion on Vesper and her kidnapping?
10. Who saves Bond in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Casino Royale is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Casino Royale?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine America's relationship with Russia.
1) Do you think it is right to label Russian spies and people linked to Russia as evil?
2) In what ways have such books created a negative stereotypes around enemies of the west and how has this affected our interaction with them?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)