|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bond and Vesper drink at dinner?
2. What is Bond's biggest fear in this chapter?
3. Who does Bond decide to be easy on in his report?
4. What does Vesper say Bond does not really know?
5. What does Vesper drop when she sees the man with the eye patch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Bond and Vesper's relationship changed in Chapter 14?
2. How does Le Chiffre torture Bond in Chapter 17?
3. What does the doctor tell Bond in Chapter 19?
4. What does Vesper's note say?
5. Why does Vesper become upset in Chapter 22?
6. What decision does Bond make at the end of Chapter 24?
7. What does the M carved in Bond's hand signify?
8. What is Mathis' cover story in Chapter 19?
9. Why is Bond worried about seeing Vesper?
10. Why does Bond fear for Vesper in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bond books greatly influenced modern literature and in particular crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950s France.
1) Why were spies and double agents such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think France was going through a transitional phase in the Fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)