|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vesper do when she thinks she is being followed?
2. Why is Bond not excited by Vesper?
3. What does bond fear the men will do to Vesper?
4. What does Le Chiffre say he found in Bond's hotel room?
5. What has the SMERSH come to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Bond's true feelings about Vesper as outlined in Chapter 22?
2. What is Bond's opinion on Vesper and her kidnapping?
3. In what way does Bond's relationship with Vesper improve?
4. What advice does Mathis give Bond in Chapter 20?
5. Describe Bond's situation when Le Chiffre comes in to talk to him in Chapter 17.
6. What decision does Bond make at the end of Chapter 23?
7. What does Bond say about heroes and villains in Chapter 20?
8. What is Mathis' cover story in Chapter 19?
9. What does the note to Vesper say in Chapter 14?
10. Why is Bond worried about seeing Vesper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: Fleming only represents women through what Bond says and his female characters are actually strong and independent for that time.
Essay Topic 2
In 2006 Casino Royale was made into a film starring Daniel Craig. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 50 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)