|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the SMERSH come to do?
2. Why does Mathis think Bond should not become the answer to #137?
3. What does Vesper say to Bond when he kisses her?
4. Who has M sent to look after Bond?
5. Who has provided Bond with a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Mathis give Bond in Chapter 20?
2. What are Bond's true feelings about Vesper as outlined in Chapter 22?
3. In what way does Bond's relationship with Vesper improve?
4. What tragedy happens at the beginning of Chapter 27?
5. What does the M carved in Bond's hand signify?
6. Describe Bond and Vesper's dinner date.
7. Why is Bond worried about seeing Vesper?
8. What does the note to Vesper say in Chapter 14?
9. Who saves Bond in Chapter 18?
10. How does Vesper react to Bond seeing her in the telephone booth in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Vesper and Bond.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1950s France.
1) Why were spies and double agents such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think France was going through a transitional phase in the Fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)