|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vesper say Bond does not really know?
2. Who does Bond want to extract revenge on?
3. What does Bond do before dinner?
4. What does Bond think is wrong in this chapter?
5. What excites Bond about Vesper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bond fear for Vesper in Chapter 16?
2. How does Le Chiffre torture Bond in Chapter 17?
3. Describe Bond and Vesper's dinner date.
4. What does the doctor tell Bond in Chapter 19?
5. Why does Vesper become upset in Chapter 22?
6. What are Bond's true feelings about Vesper as outlined in Chapter 22?
7. What happens to Vesper in Chapter 14?
8. What does Bond say about heroes and villains in Chapter 20?
9. What decision does Bond make at the end of Chapter 23?
10. What tragedy happens at the beginning of Chapter 27?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Casino Royale is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Casino Royale?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)