|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bond and Vesper drink at dinner?
2. What is Bond's biggest fear in this chapter?
3. What does Le Chiffre say he found in Bond's hotel room?
4. Where does Bond go for a swim in this chapter?
5. Where does Le Chiffre put Bond's unconscious body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Vesper in Chapter 14?
2. What tragedy happens at the beginning of Chapter 27?
3. What prompts Bond and Vesper to move upstairs?
4. Describe Bond's situation when Le Chiffre comes in to talk to him in Chapter 17.
5. What does the note to Vesper say in Chapter 14?
6. What is Mathis' cover story in Chapter 19?
7. How does Le Chiffre cause Bond to crash in Chapter 16?
8. How has Bond and Vesper's relationship changed in Chapter 14?
9. Why does Vesper become upset in Chapter 22?
10. Why does Bond fear for Vesper in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fleming's life. In what ways do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Bond?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Vesper and Bond.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)