|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man give Bond when he enters the hotel?
2. In which city did Bond kill the second man?
3. What has happened to the gunman who tried to kill Bond?
4. What was the red camera case supposed to be?
5. Who does Bond meet in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bond worry about at the end of Chapter 4?
2. Describe what happens when Bond and Vesper first enter the casino in Chapter 10.
3. Describe the story Vesper tells Bond in Chapter 9.
4. What does Bond think about Le Chiffre in this opening chapter?
5. Why does Bond enjoy gambling?
6. Why is Bond worried about seeing Vesper?
7. How does Bond lose all of his money in Chapter 11?
8. Describe the layout of the casino table.
9. What cliffhangar does Fleming leave the reader with at the end of Chapter 8?
10. Describe Bond's situation when Le Chiffre comes in to talk to him in Chapter 17.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Vesper and Bond.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950s France.
1) Why were spies and double agents such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think France was going through a transitional phase in the Fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)