|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name given to the Soviet spy agency?
2. What problem does Bond face at the end of the chapter?
3. What type of drink does Bond suggest they order?
4. What did French intelligence discover in Bond's room?
5. What game does Bond play at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader know about Bond's case in the opening chapter?
2. Describe the first confrontation between Le Chiffre and Bond.
3. Why is Le Chiffre close to a financial crisis?
4. What did Vesper's supervisor tell Vesper about Bond?
5. What does Bond think about Le Chiffre in this opening chapter?
6. Descbribe Bond's time at the gambling table in Chapter 7.
7. How does Bond's attitude towards Vesper change in Chapter 9?
8. How does Bond feel about going broke?
9. Describe Le Chiffre.
10. Why does Bond enjoy gambling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bond books greatly influenced modern literature and in particular crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fleming's life. In what ways do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Bond?
Essay Topic 3
Compare France now to France in the Fifties. How has the nation changed? Did the end of the Cold War have a major effect on France? Describe ways in which the Cold War may have influenced the way France is today.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)