|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bond do when he sees the two dead men?
2. What game is Bond playing in the opening chapter?
3. Who will Bond meet at the Hermitage?
4. What does Bond notice when he looks around the room?
5. What is Bond's hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bond worry about at the end of Chapter 4?
2. What does the reader know about Bond's case in the opening chapter?
3. What does Bond think about Le Chiffre in this opening chapter?
4. Why are the three individuals in Chapter 3 suspicious?
5. How does Bond plan to defeat Le Chiffre?
6. Describe the first confrontation between Le Chiffre and Bond.
7. Describe what happens when Bond and Vesper first enter the casino in Chapter 10.
8. Descbribe Bond's time at the gambling table in Chapter 7.
9. How does Bond cope with the gunman in Chapter 12?
10. How does Bond feel about going broke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Casino Royale is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Casino Royale?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)