Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vesper have information about at the end of the chapter?
2. What is the name of the French town?
3. What country is Lady Danvers from?
4. Who is the telegram from?
5. What game does Le Chiffre like to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mathis deal with the blast?
2. Describe Bond's new partner.
3. What do you think Vesper's speech about islands reveals about her character?
4. What tragedy happens at the beginning of Chapter 27?
5. Why does Bond enjoy gambling?
6. Why does Vesper become upset in Chapter 22?
7. Describe what happens when Bond and Vesper first enter the casino in Chapter 10.
8. Describe the first confrontation between Le Chiffre and Bond.
9. Who saves Bond in Chapter 18?
10. How does Le Chiffre torture Bond in Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Bond's character across the whole series.
1) How does Fleming develop Bond's character across the whole series?
2) Does Casino Royale add any new elements to Bond's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)