|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is the telegram from?
2. What type of drink does Bond suggest they order?
3. Why does Bond enjoy gambling?
4. What is the name of Bond's new partner?
5. In what French town does Le Chiffre have business interests?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the layout of the casino table.
2. What does Bond worry about at the end of Chapter 4?
3. Why is Le Chiffre close to a financial crisis?
4. What cliffhangar does Fleming leave the reader with at the end of Chapter 8?
5. What does Mathis tell Bond in Chapter 3?
6. What does Bond do when he arrives back in his hotel room in Chapter 1?
7. How is Le Chiffre attempting to make up his losses?
8. Descbribe Bond's time at the gambling table in Chapter 7.
9. What did Vesper's supervisor tell Vesper about Bond?
10. What problems does Bond face in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay revolving around the following idea: Fleming uses Bond 's character to express his true ideas about society.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)