|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vesper's supervisor advise her not to do?
2. What does Bond pretend to be after he has defeated the gunman?
3. What did Vesper's supervisor tell her about Bond?
4. What was the red camera case supposed to be?
5. What kind of gun does Bond decide to take with him in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Le Chiffre cause Bond to crash in Chapter 16?
2. What tragedy happens at the beginning of Chapter 27?
3. What decision does Bond make at the end of Chapter 23?
4. Why does Bond enjoy gambling?
5. Describe the first confrontation between Le Chiffre and Bond.
6. What does the note to Vesper say in Chapter 14?
7. What prompts Bond and Vesper to move upstairs?
8. What saves Bond's career in Chapter 12?
9. How does Bond feel about going broke?
10. How does Le Chiffre torture Bond in Chapter 17?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Casino Royale is written in the third person. Why do you think Fleming chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
The Bond books greatly influenced modern literature and in particular crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)