|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bond do when he sees the two dead men?
2. What is Bond's hobby?
3. What is Lynd posing as?
4. Who arrives to help Bond back to the hotel?
5. What does Bond feel at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What saves Bond's career in Chapter 12?
2. How does Vesper react to Bond seeing her in the telephone booth in Chapter 25?
3. What did Vesper's supervisor tell Vesper about Bond?
4. Describe the story Vesper tells Bond in Chapter 9.
5. Describe Bond's situation when Le Chiffre comes in to talk to him in Chapter 17.
6. What are Bond's true feelings about Vesper as outlined in Chapter 22?
7. How has Bond and Vesper's relationship changed in Chapter 14?
8. What does Bond think about Le Chiffre in this opening chapter?
9. What decision does Bond make at the end of Chapter 23?
10. How does Mathis deal with the blast?
Essay Topic 1
Casino Royale is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Casino Royale?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine America's relationship with Russia.
1) Do you think it is right to label Russian spies and people linked to Russia as evil?
2) In what ways have such books created a negative stereotypes around enemies of the west and how has this affected our interaction with them?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)