|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the radio block?
2. What was the red camera case supposed to be?
3. Which of the following is not a name Le Chiffre is known by?
4. What is Lynd posing as?
5. What does Vesper have information about at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the background of the city of Royale?
2. How does Mathis deal with the blast?
3. What did Vesper's supervisor tell Vesper about Bond?
4. How does Bond lose all of his money in Chapter 11?
5. What saves Bond's career in Chapter 12?
6. Describe the first confrontation between Le Chiffre and Bond.
7. Describe what happens when Bond and Vesper first enter the casino in Chapter 10.
8. What problems does Bond face in Chapter 12?
9. What does Mathis tell Bond in Chapter 3?
10. Describe Le Chiffre.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Casino Royale is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Casino Royale?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)