|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bond think women confuse work with?
2. Who does Bond decide to name his martini after?
3. What game does Bond play at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What kind of gun does Bond decide to take with him in this chapter?
5. What did Vesper's supervisor advise her not to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mathis tell Bond in Chapter 3?
2. Describe the first confrontation between Le Chiffre and Bond.
3. How does Bond plan to defeat Le Chiffre?
4. Why could Le Chiffre's financial crisis lead to his death?
5. Why are the three individuals in Chapter 3 suspicious?
6. Describe the layout of the casino table.
7. How is Le Chiffre attempting to make up his losses?
8. What does Bond worry about at the end of Chapter 4?
9. Describe Bond's new partner.
10. What cliffhangar does Fleming leave the reader with at the end of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
The Bond books greatly influenced modern literature and in particular crime books. Choose a book written after the novel that you think was influenced by it and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)