|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bond meet in the breakfast room?
2. What problem does Bond face at the end of the chapter?
3. What does Bond put in both his coat pockets?
4. What is the first thing Bond notices about Lynd?
5. What was discovered in the village river?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mathis greet Bond?
2. How does Bond lose all of his money in Chapter 11?
3. How does Bond cope with the gunman in Chapter 12?
4. What does Mathis tell Bond in Chapter 3?
5. Describe the layout of the casino table.
6. How does Bond's attitude towards Vesper change in Chapter 9?
7. Describe what happens when Bond and Vesper first enter the casino in Chapter 10.
8. How is Le Chiffre attempting to make up his losses?
9. What does Bond do when he arrives back in his hotel room in Chapter 1?
10. Why does Bond enjoy gambling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Vesper and Bond.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
Essay Topic 3
In 2006 Casino Royale was made into a film starring Daniel Craig. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 50 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)