|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to help Bond back to the hotel?
2. What did the City of Royale start as?
3. Which other player does Bond observe at the table?
4. What problem does Bond face at the end of the chapter?
5. Who is Bond sitting across from the casino table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Vesper tells Bond in Chapter 9.
2. What does the telegraph say that Bond will receive in this opening chapter?
3. What did Vesper's supervisor tell Vesper about Bond?
4. What does the reader know about Bond's case in the opening chapter?
5. Why could Le Chiffre's financial crisis lead to his death?
6. How does Bond lose all of his money in Chapter 11?
7. What does Mathis tell Bond in Chapter 3?
8. How does Bond feel about going broke?
9. Describe the layout of the casino table.
10. How does Bond's attitude towards Vesper change in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fleming's life. In what ways do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the world of espionage? In what ways is he like or unlike Bond?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1950s France.
1) Why were spies and double agents such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think France was going through a transitional phase in the Fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)