|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a big source of the fights between Johnny and his first wife, Vivian?
2. What did Johnny once consider selling when he and June had financial problems?
3. What was June Carter's father's name?
4. What did Johnny tell June during their first show together?
5. Two songs that were controversial for their direct messages were "Ira Hayes" and _______________.
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in June and her mother and sisters? Explain.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)