|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Johnny's song that was his only hit in the 1970s?
2. What special treatment did celebrities receive at the Betty Ford Clinic?
3. What disease did June's mother contract?
4. Which one of June's daughters did Johnny nickname "Sparkle"?
5. What culture did Johnny study during this period?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
2. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
3. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
4. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
5. What was Johnny's decision to announce his Christianity on television and what were some of the repercussions of his decision?
6. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
7. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
8. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
9. How was Johnny's addiction recovery complicated by pain killers necessary after some medical procedures?
10. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
What impact did Johnny's estranged relationship with his father have on Johnny's life? What emotional wounds did Johnny suffer? How did the rejection by his father impact Johnny's relationships with other people? State your opinion.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)