|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johnny especially enjoy at Bon Aqua?
2. What was unique about the recording in #130?
3. What did Johnny call June regarding her religious fervor?
4. What was the name of the recording produced by the person in #129?
5. Who was the producer who revitalized Johnny's recording career in 1993?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
2. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
3. How was Johnny's addiction recovery complicated by pain killers necessary after some medical procedures?
4. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
5. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
6. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
7. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
8. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
9. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
10. What was Johnny's decision to announce his Christianity on television and what were some of the repercussions of his decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)