|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the car fire in which Johnny was severely burned?
2. In what year was the song in #112 released?
3. Who was Jack Clement?
4. What habit did Johnny say June did to excess?
5. How did the person in #106 die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
2. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
3. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
4. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
5. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
6. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
7. How long had the Carter family been playing together and what was their code about playing without the others?
8. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
9. Where had Johnny gone to commit suicide and what made him change his mind?
10. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Johnny's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Johnny, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)