|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stayed by Johnny's side during his trouble with drug addiction?
2. What did Johnny tell June during their first show together?
3. What did Johnny once consider selling when he and June had financial problems?
4. What habit did Johnny say June did to excess?
5. Why was Johnny skeptical of Rick Rubin at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where had Johnny gone to commit suicide and what made him change his mind?
2. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
3. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
4. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
5. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
6. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
7. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
8. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
9. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
10. Describe Johnny's feelings regarding a near-death experience in 1988.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of June Carter Cash. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
Essay Topic 3
Johnny Cash was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Johnny's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)