|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Johnny say his career was the strongest?
2. What narcotic was Johnny given when he had a broken rib as a child?
3. What quality did Johnny say was common among all the U.S. Presidents he met?
4. What was another location Johnny mentioned in which he wanted to record?
5. Where did Johnny go once to commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
2. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
3. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
4. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
5. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
6. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
7. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
8. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
9. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
10. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
Essay Topic 2
From what you can glean from Johnny's descriptions, create a brief character study of Johnny's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What created the friction between him and Johnny? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)