|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique about the recording in #130?
2. Two songs that were controversial for their direct messages were "Ira Hayes" and _______________.
3. What was the name of the camper Johnny used to get away sometimes?
4. What did Johnny experience during his "drying out" process?
5. Who was the only son born to Johnny and June?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
2. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
3. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
4. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
5. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
6. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
7. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
8. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
9. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
10. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
What impact did Johnny's estranged relationship with his father have on Johnny's life? What emotional wounds did Johnny suffer? How did the rejection by his father impact Johnny's relationships with other people? State your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)