|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Johnny go to recover from drug and alcohol abuse?
2. Port Richey is the home of ________________.
3. When did Johnny say his career was the strongest?
4. What culture did Johnny study during this period?
5. What quality did Johnny say he ultimately valued about June?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
2. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
3. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
4. How was Johnny's addiction recovery complicated by pain killers necessary after some medical procedures?
5. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
6. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
7. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
8. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
9. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
10. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Johnny's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Johnny, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)