|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two songs that were controversial for their direct messages were "Ira Hayes" and _______________.
2. What type of animal attacked Johnny once on his farm?
3. What did Johnny say it was difficult to find?
4. Who was the only son born to Johnny and June?
5. What disease did June's mother contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
2. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
3. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
4. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
5. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
6. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
7. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
8. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
9. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
10. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does Johnny mean by calling it CASH: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of June Carter Cash. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity was an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)