|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of songs was Ed McCurdy famous for singing?
2. Where was the video "Gospel Road" filmed?
3. What was the name of the recording produced by the person in #129?
4. What was the name of the camper Johnny used to get away sometimes?
5. Why did Johnny's father kill Johnny's dog when Johnny was a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
2. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
3. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
4. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
5. How long had the Carter family been playing together and what was their code about playing without the others?
6. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
7. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
8. What was Johnny's decision to announce his Christianity on television and what were some of the repercussions of his decision?
9. Describe Johnny's feelings regarding a near-death experience in 1988.
10. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Johnny's? How did it affect him? How does it affect those impacted by Johnny's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)