|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Johnny's song that was his only hit in the 1970s?
2. According to Johnny, ____________________ was a normal activity for an up-and-coming rock star.
3. What was another location Johnny mentioned in which he wanted to record?
4. What takes hold of Johnny and threatens to end his life?
5. What narcotic was Johnny given when he had a broken rib as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
2. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
3. How long had the Carter family been playing together and what was their code about playing without the others?
4. What was Johnny's decision to announce his Christianity on television and what were some of the repercussions of his decision?
5. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
6. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
7. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
8. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
9. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
10. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)