|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book Johnny produced as a result of his Bible study?
2. What life-altering experience did Johnny have in 1988?
3. What narcotic was Johnny given when he had a broken rib as a child?
4. What did Johnny say it was difficult to find?
5. Who was Johnny's oldest daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
2. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
3. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
4. What was Johnny's decision to announce his Christianity on television and what were some of the repercussions of his decision?
5. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
6. How was Johnny's addiction recovery complicated by pain killers necessary after some medical procedures?
7. Where had Johnny gone to commit suicide and what made him change his mind?
8. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
9. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
10. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of June Carter Cash. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)