|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Johnny compare his life in the book in #122?
2. In what city did Johnny first meet the Carters?
3. What quality did Johnny say he ultimately valued about June?
4. What role did Johnny's mother have in his business years later?
5. What type of songs was Ed McCurdy famous for singing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
2. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
3. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
4. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
5. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
6. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
7. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
8. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
9. Where had Johnny gone to commit suicide and what made him change his mind?
10. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does Johnny mean by calling it CASH: THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY? What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Johnny's? How did it affect him? How does it affect those impacted by Johnny's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny Cash was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Johnny's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)