|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the camper Johnny used to get away sometimes?
2. What was the name of the performance center built by the Carter family?
3. In what year did Johnny first meet the Carters?
4. What was another location Johnny mentioned in which he wanted to record?
5. Who was the Hopi Indian Ed McCurdy introduced Johnny to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
2. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
3. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
4. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
5. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
6. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
7. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
8. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
9. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
10. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Johnny's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Johnny, his family and friends?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)