|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny announced on his television show that his religious beliefs were ______________.
2. What did Johnny say it was difficult to find?
3. Who stayed by Johnny's side during his trouble with drug addiction?
4. Why was Johnny skeptical of Rick Rubin at first?
5. What caused the car fire in which Johnny was severely burned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
2. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
3. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
4. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
5. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
6. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
7. Where had Johnny gone to commit suicide and what made him change his mind?
8. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
9. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
10. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity was an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from Johnny's descriptions, create a brief character study of Johnny's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What created the friction between him and Johnny? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)