|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was "Chicken in Black"?
2. Two songs that were controversial for their direct messages were "Ira Hayes" and _______________.
3. What did Johnny once consider selling when he and June had financial problems?
4. Where did Johnny try to hide Valium while in the hospital recovering from surgery?
5. In what year did Johnny first meet the Carters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
2. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
3. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
4. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
5. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
6. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
7. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
8. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
9. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
10. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The search for love is an important element in Johnny's life. How was Johnny treated as a child? How did he feel about his strained relationship with his father? Why did he get involved with drugs and alcohol? Was there a pattern in Johnny's destructive life choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)