|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bon Aqua?
2. In what year did Johnny first meet the Carters?
3. Who was Jack Clement?
4. What was the name of the camper Johnny used to get away sometimes?
5. How could Johnny's memories of his father best be characterized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
2. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
3. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
4. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
5. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
6. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
7. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
8. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
9. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
10. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Johnny's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Johnny, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
Johnny Cash was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Johnny's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)