|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny was the only person allowed to use ______________ in the Carter family's performance center.
2. Why did Johnny's father kill Johnny's dog when Johnny was a boy?
3. Where did Johnny try to hide Valium while in the hospital recovering from surgery?
4. Who was Johnny's manager who first put Johnny and June together in a show?
5. What prevented Johnny from committing suicide in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
2. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
3. Where had Johnny gone to commit suicide and what made him change his mind?
4. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
5. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
6. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
7. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
8. What was Johnny's decision to announce his Christianity on television and what were some of the repercussions of his decision?
9. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
10. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would musicians have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Vivian have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Johnny Cash? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Johnny's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be a poor sharecropper's son in the 1930s in America? What stigmas did Johnny live with for his entire life? How did Johnny use his childhood experiences to make music that appealed to the downtrodden?
Essay Topic 3
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)