|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Johnny's manager who first put Johnny and June together in a show?
2. In what year was the song in #112 released?
3. What is the name of the book Johnny produced as a result of his Bible study?
4. What was Johnny's song that was his only hit in the 1970s?
5. What prevented Johnny from committing suicide in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
2. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
3. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
4. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
5. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
6. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
7. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
8. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
9. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
10. Describe Johnny's feelings regarding a near-death experience in 1988.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Johnny Cash. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)