|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role did Johnny's mother have in his business years later?
2. What did Johnny experience during his "drying out" process?
3. What disease did June's mother contract?
4. In what year did June's mother die?
5. Who did Johnny think was one of the most influential people in country music?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Johnny have an interview with prior to an important concert and how was his behavior impacted by drugs?
2. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
3. How long had the Carter family been playing together and what was their code about playing without the others?
4. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
5. When and where did Johnny first come in contact with the Carter family?
6. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
7. What did Johnny say about meeting four U.S. Presidents?
8. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
9. What was Johnny's experience at the Betty Ford Clinic and how did he face his substance addiction every day afterward?
10. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Readers may find Johnny's use of humor a bit surprising due to Johnny's imposing physical demeanor. Describe Johnny's sense of humor and then cite at least two examples of humor used in the book.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)