|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Johnny's family members gather around Johnny's hospital bed to do?
2. Who was the Hopi Indian Ed McCurdy introduced Johnny to?
3. Where did Johnny go to recover from drug and alcohol abuse?
4. What caused the car fire in which Johnny was severely burned?
5. What was Johnny's song that was his only hit in the 1970s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
2. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
3. What was Johnny's work related to discriminated groups such as Native Americans and prisoners?
4. What did Johnny say about his first wife, Vivian's, opinion of his musician's lifestyle?
5. How was Johnny's addiction recovery complicated by pain killers necessary after some medical procedures?
6. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
7. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
8. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
9. How long had the Carter family been playing together and what was their code about playing without the others?
10. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would musicians have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Vivian have had an especially lonely life being the wife of Johnny Cash? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the mid-twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What belief system about Southern women was evident in June and her mother and sisters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Johnny's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Johnny, his family and friends?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)