|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was "Chicken in Black"?
2. What life-altering experience did Johnny have in 1988?
3. Why was Johnny skeptical of Rick Rubin at first?
4. What caused the car fire in which Johnny was severely burned?
5. What type of animal attacked Johnny once on his farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johnny say about the decades of highs and lows in his career?
2. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
3. What was Johnny's "Man in White" project?
4. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
5. How long had the Carter family been playing together and what was their code about playing without the others?
6. What was Johnny's perspective on not being ready to retire even though he could afford to do so?
7. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
8. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
9. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
10. Explain Johnny's relationship with June's parents, Maybelle and Ezra.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cash's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why Cash used them where he did. Why did Cash divide the book into sections with the identity of his his homes?
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Johnny's? How did it affect him? How does it affect those impacted by Johnny's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)