|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the camper Johnny used to get away sometimes?
2. What happened to the cremated remains of the person in #73?
3. Who was the only son born to Johnny and June?
4. What type of songs was Ed McCurdy famous for singing?
5. What did Johnny experience during his "drying out" process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the "Chicken in Black" and how did it fit into Johnny's failing record career?
2. What two Carter family buildings were located in Port Richey, Florida?
3. What is Bon Aqua and what was the legend associated with it?
4. What was Johnny's decision to announce his Christianity on television and what were some of the repercussions of his decision?
5. How did Johnny's friends try to intervene in his drug abuse and how did the death of Hopi Indian, Peter LaFarge, impact him?
6. Who was Rick Rubin and what was his collaboration with Johnny?
7. What was the difference in feeling that Johnny had about his father and mother?
8. What did Johnny do on stage during a concert he played with June Carter in 1961 and what was the state of their relationship after that?
9. What were the two events that included fire and explosions that could have ended Johnny's life?
10. What was Johnny's "Gospel Road" project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Johnny's childhood. What was America like during this time period? What was the American South like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Johnny, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Name three hallmarks of popular culture from the 1960s. Describe the movements or trends and give some rationale for their popularity. Why did they ultimately die out? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Johnny used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)